Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Kavanagh Left The Club

Comments

• Options

HandG said:

Buying Lawrie Wilson for £400k on the proviso of selling Solly for £x doesn't add up-he could break his leg tomorrow, the deal would be off and we'd be even more skint than we apparently already are.

Do you know if we have paid the 400k to Stevanage yet??
    We are probably waiting for a PPI claim to come through.....
  • Options
    Of course, if we are in financial trouble, everything may well be resolved (at least for now) by a massive fire sale of our best players before the end of the transfer window. If we sell:

- Bradley Wright-Phillips
    - Yann Kermorgant
    - Chris Solly
    - Rhoys Wiggins
    - Danny Hollands
    - Johnnie Jackson
    - Michael Morrison
    - Ben Hamer
    - Dale Stephens
    - Danny Green
    - Scott Wagstaff
    - Paul Hayes

I reckon (ballpark guess) we would get about 9 million pounds in the current market (providing buying clubs don't take the proverbial). Given the average Championship club loses £6-7 million pounds per season, selling those players would probably get us through next season.

Mind you, we'd get relegated.
  • Options
    Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP
    "There is a lot of gossip but there is no need for fans to panic," said #CAFC chairman Michael Slater.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
    Delete
    FavoritedFavorite 1h Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP
    #CAFC deny any problems at boardroom level today. Further details in tomorrow's South London Press

Smoke ............
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Jints said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

I don't think anyone can now argue there are not serious issues in the Club hierarchy, with two key staff leaving due to the way the owners are now running the club.

I worry for the future of the club and particularly for the Valley.

I was called a nutter for questioning the future of The Valley after the Lansdowne Mews sale.

So be careful!
    As I've said before, the current owners had nothing to do with the sale of Lansdowne Mews. It's unfair to blame them for it.
    It's interesting, and probably telling, that of all the posts in this thread, this is the only one AB has responded to.

He's such a tease isn't he?!
  • Options
    Don't know that we've paid the £400k, but have you ever heard of a player being sent back after completion of a transfer? He has a contract with us now and, although I'm not up on legal issues, I doubt there will be any kind of clause saying he can go back if we don't pay. The deal's been done, the money will have to be paid.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP
    "There is a lot of gossip but there is no need for fans to panic," said #CAFC chairman Michael Slater.

Delete
    #CAFC deny any problems at boardroom level today. Further details in tomorrow's South London Press

Smoke ............

If Slater says there's no need for fans to panic, perhaps he needs to prove it.
  • Options
    I wonder how much the shortfall actually is to carry us through this season, anyone itk care to divulge?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Jints said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

I don't think anyone can now argue there are not serious issues in the Club hierarchy, with two key staff leaving due to the way the owners are now running the club.

I was called a nutter for questioning the future of The Valley after the Lansdowne Mews sale.

So be careful!
    As I've said before, the current owners had nothing to do with the sale of Lansdowne Mews. It's unfair to blame them for it.
    It's interesting, and probably telling, that of all the posts in this thread, this is the only one AB has responded to.

Of maybe he's cleverer than that.
  • Options

Be interested to see if Prothero takes up his post next Wednesday.

You'll get good odds, seeing as he is only meant to be working 1 day a week :-)

• Options
    Bubble said:

Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP

Delete

Smoke ............

So if there is gossip, please put the correct facts before the fans. Not every detail, but why leak to the SLP of all papers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    expect to hear from Roma soon ;-)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Jints said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

So be careful!

• Options
    Not liking this one bit...
  • Options

Maybe the reason we signed a right back for 400k is because we are just about to sell one for 5 million?

Solly 5mil ? Dream on
  • Options
    The thing is I wasn't going to say anything because I wasn't sure if it was true . Because I said he was talking bollox but now a few things he said have actually happend , he also said two high profile sales within the next week or 2 I just hope he isn't right . But he isn't even a Charlton fan and knew all about varney and cash .
  • Options
    It was a figure grabbed out the air Beds, however it will be a lot more than the 400k we have splashed out
  • Options

Bubble said:

Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP

Delete

Smoke ............

So if there is gossip, please put the correct facts before the fans. Not every detail, but why leak to the SLP of all papers.
    Or maybe we just need to stop gossiping and listen to what is actually being said. Most businesses do not give ins and outs details - we only expect it because of the industry that we are in, and we as fans feel part of. Things are happening but do we know they are not for the good of the club? Can we not give a chairman a bit of 'space' considering he helped to deliver a championship in his first full season?
  • Options

It was a figure grabbed out the air Beds, however it will be a lot more than the 400k we have splashed out

I t would be more than 400k your right but I doubt we much more than a million if other clubs sniff that we could be in the financial mire.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP

Delete

Smoke ............

I'm expecting a fully generic statement to come out tomorrow along the lines of Steve Kavanagh was expecting to leave very soon and this decision was taken with the boards blessing.
    A replacement will be announced in due course

I doubt very much if we will hear any more than something bland and boring just like that
  • Options
    Sounds pre-emptive too me, up until a couple of hours ago the whole issue had died down and really there was no need too make any statement about rumours.

I expect a straight forward statement pretty similar to the last one, about the difficulty getting players in with competition in the championship.

What I think they fail to graspe is the rumours aren't solely based on the lack of transfer activity, it's about well established charlton figures leaving ambigously without any clear confirmation amongst strong rumours of financial problems.

One thing if they dont know already they will know is that as a fan base we are not stupid and are well connected with our football club

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to agree, Ken.

Why on earth is Michael S talking to the SLP first ??? Surely it disrespects those who ARE effectively Charlton Athletic- the fans !

There MUST be something on the OS before then end of today....if Matt is still around to post it.
  • Options
    fantastic day to bury bad news tomorrow
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Toby Porter ‏@PorterSLP

Delete

Smoke ............

This seems to me that they're trying to get something in the public domain before the rumours start...Oops, too late
  • Options

Have to agree, Ken.

Why on earth is Michael S talking to the SLP first ??? Surely it disrespects those who ARE effectively Charlton Athletic- the fans !

There MUST be something on the OS before then end of today....if Matt is still around to post it.

Totally agree.

• Options
    Bubble said:

Sounds pre-emptive too me, up until a couple of hours ago the whole issue had died down and really there was no need too make any statement about rumours.

good point @Bubble

What rumours have their been in the last 10 days ? I haven't seen any, everyone has been really positive following the Sporting game.

• Options
    A summer that meant to be looking forward to fantastic new season but once again as only charlton can do its passing with a and uneasiness. Bring on my holiday
  • Options
    isn't the idea of Twitter (and the indeed the OS could arguably be in the same bracket) to give an instant reponse to quell rumours etc and protect the brand?
  • Options

I don't trust a single thing to do with this club at the moment.

Good to see there's no overreaction prior to establishing facts.

• Options
    This will hit 25 pages easy with you lot, honestly iv never known anything like it, nothing has been CONFIRMED yet, but there is wide spread panic like the world is ending lol.
  • Options

no no no i'm going to bury my head in the sand and pretend everything is great

smoke and fire you clowns

Why dont you just concentrate on what this news means like everyone else rather than slag off fellow fans.

Weirdo.