Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Kavanagh Left The Club

Comments

• Options
    Is it not weird that it is only slater who is commenting on rumours .. We know that Jimenez owns the majority of the club/business so surely it should be him that is 'talking to the fans' - this could work with what Janey said
  • Options
    people talking about Varney going - he retired as was probably planned ages ago, he was 60 odd wasn't it? that wasn't anything to do with the club or problems, that's just the guy probably wanting a break and enjoy life!
  • Options
    At this rate were going to run out of "sources"
  • Options
    @davyjack, why are you posting as @janey767 as well? Seems like they are shared accounts.
  • Options
    Not good news if it's true, we all know Chris has been frustrated with the transfer market as of late and we may be in a bit of trouble financially. But I seriously don't think it's bad enough for Chris to walk or there to be a mass exodus. To be honest this squad is more than capable of competing in the Championship. If we hang on to what we have and get a decent season under our belt we'll pull through.
  • Options

janey767 said:

heard from some staff saying that he has been leaking stories about the owners and trying to destabilize the club to press/forums etc, he's probably working for West Ham Utd seeing as he supported them!

could be @Roma?
    who knows... funny how SLP get in there so quick though - maybe tipped of by SK? Or the Fairies or Santa Claus!

• Options
    Should this be members only?
  • Options
    jiminez won't talk to the media, let alone engage with fans.

We are run by a guy who won't talk to anyone, backed by people no one knows. Slater is the front of house, nothing more.

As for what Janey said, very much doubt that is true. Have never heard anyone suggest that about Kavanagh before, and all of a sudden she has spoke to multiple staff who all say it.

So I'll personally take that with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    I think we can only judge the current Board on not what is said but by what they do.
    They got rid of Parky & appointed Powell.
    They signed the best Striker available in the january transfer window.
    They oversaw the rebuilding of a squad which subsequently walked the league. All massively positive no-one can complain.
    Since then....Varney Gone, Kavanagh Going, Players brought in are ex Academy boy from Stevenage and a released player from Sunderland, it's fairly clear what our ambition is on the pitch for this year and it's clearly not promotion.
    At best a massive opportunity has been missed this summer with momentum built and a chance to steel a march on competitors for players as we were in the box seat in April, in true Charlton style 'all our dreams torn asunder'. At worst...let's not even go there.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

At this rate were going to run out of "sources"

Now 'that's' funny!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

janey767 said:

heard from some staff saying that he has been leaking stories about the owners and trying to destabilize the club to press/forums etc, he's probably working for West Ham Utd seeing as he supported them!

I am not in the office today and it would be wrong for me to comment on this speculation anyway. However, I am not going to allow character assassination to go unchallenged, wherever it comes from. Speaking as someone who has worked closely with Steve for ten years, I can say that he is a person of integrity and I can reassure everyone that he enjoys the total support of Peter Varney and his senior management team. Steve is not a Charlton fan in the way that some us are, but he has always been totally committed to the club and I'm certain that remains the case.

Good enough for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
  • Options

The @SLP would have gone to print before all this so the piece with Slater for tomorrow would have been earlier in the week.

I.equally can't understand why the club chooses to put out its official quotes through a paper that its supporters do not read, whilst it has its own website it is desperate to drive traffic to.

Maybe the manager designate reads it

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/dennis-wise-wants-to-be-boss-7892949.html
  • Options
    ok i was sitting on this info because i knew if I said something it might cause alarm - but I was in ShoeZone the other day and the man behind the counter said that Michael Slater, or someone who looked a lot like him, had been in and brought a pair of loafers. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about that. Just don't shoot the messenger, i'm only passing on info I've heard from a semi-reliable source.
  • Options
    Wouldnt wehave taken anything for Clarke if we are that short of dosh?
  • Options
    Its just dawned on me that when I was in Dubai last month and met Chrissy Powell , a day later I bumped into Dennis Wise
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

janey767 said:

I am not in the office today and it would be wrong for me to comment on this speculation anyway. However, I am not going to allow character assassination to go unchallenged, wherever it comes from. Speaking as someone who has worked closely with Steve for ten years, I can say that he is a person of integrity and I can reassure everyone that he enjoys the total support of Peter Varney and his senior management team. Steve is not a Charlton fan in the way that some us are, but he has always been totally committed to the club and I'm certain that remains the case.

Good enough for me.
    Me too
  • Options
    The fact is its very clear that something is rotten in Denmark...

The not knowing and being told to calm down is the problem...

• Options
    Stebo said:

ok i was sitting on this info because i knew if I said something it might cause alarm - but I was in ShoeZone the other day and the man behind the counter said that Michael Slater, or someone who looked a lot like him, had been in and brought a pair of loafers. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about that. Just don't shoot the messenger, i'm only passing on info I've heard from a semi-reliable source.

Feck me that indicates he has sold the club and bought a yacht with the money......what colour were they
  • Options
    Stebo said:

total bull. Why would Slater do his shoe shopping there?! Name your source including contact details so we can do a background check to see if he isnt a nigel or spanner. If you don't you're a liar!

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's sad IF Kavanagh is going, but staff move on from all companies and organisations; when companies change, some staff don't like what's happening and leave, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the changes are wrong, it might just be a clash of personalities...

I have sympathy with the club, I wouldn't expect this board to issue statements every 5 minutes refuting every rumour, and more than I would the board of Murray, Simons, Alwen etc. If we're in the brown stuff, then I'd rather the board were busy trying to sort out the problems rather than spending all their time talking about them, alternatively if things are fine, nobody (here) will believe them anyway if they deny there are any problems...

If you go through the 90s, every summer we were net sellers apart from 97 (our 1st promotion season) so I'm not over concerned about the lack of activity so far, I'd rather wait until the 1st September to make a judgement.
  • Options

Stebo said:

Feck me that indicates he has sold the club and bought a yacht with the money......what colour were they
    apparently they were white :(
  • Options
    Reading this from afar I would say that Varney was only ever there to smooth the transition from old board to new board. The fact we had a successful season and got promoted only served to accelerate the transition so Varney stepped down and now carries on with his role in the Supporters Trust.

Maintaining radio silence is very frustrating after years of openness and to be fair I don't know what to make of the SK story at all. Clearly there are issues that need to be resolved.
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

This is the one certainty that we have in a whole summer of speculation.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

The fact is its very clear that something is rotten in the Rose of Denmark...

Sorry about that. Too much beer and curry the night before the match. I hoped nobody would notice.
  • Options
    Reading this from afar I would say that Varney was only ever there to smooth the transition from old board to new board. The fact we had a successful season and got promoted only served to accelerate the transition so Varney stepped down and now carries on with his role in the Supporters Trust.

Maintaining radio silence is very frustrating after years of openness and to be fair I don't know what to make of the SK story at all. Clearly there are issues that need to be resolved.
    Was there really more openness in the old days? Especially in the summer holidays?

Or were we happy not to get updates 24/7 in the pre internet/twitter age...

• Options
    I try not to be all doom & gloom on here as I don't see the point in it but have to say there is too much stuff going on at the club that smells very fishy at the moment. Something is seriously wrong in my opinion and it is very worrying. Just my opinion and I will say no more on the matter for fear of being 'Too negative'
  • Options
    My poor old palace mate(well old work no2 realy) his club is heading for league 1 hes so depressed by there departures he no no longer replying to my banter the poor soul and we think weve got troubles
  • Options
    Just like to say I have no inside information on this.
    I officially haven't a clue.
    Keep up the good work y'all, pip pip.
  • Options
    Worrying and as others have said, the worst scenario would be Chris Powell throwing in the towel and the club reverting back to the circus of before last season.