Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Brittania felt like it was trying too hard to be the next must see box set show. My gut says that it'll be another Sky Original dud (whoever commissions their stuff must have something on the Murdoch's) but I'll give it another episode.
  • edited January 2018
    I thought it must have cost a fortune with the cast, and looked good, but wtf'd my way through most of it. the script seemed a bit baffling and i spent most of it on wiki/imdb looking up who people were as i recognised them but couldn't place them. I couldn't wait till it finished to look them up as i didn't know what was happening and wasn't that hooked. will watch ep 2 and see if it holds my attention, but i'm not sure about it.
  • Not much of a fan of police procedural but been binge watching Bosch up to the middle of season 3 which has got better with each series. Some funny moments in it too. Sounds like the books might be worth a read too.
  • Britannia didn't look to great from the promos and general feedback hasn't been kind so think I'll swerve it.

Not new but just started watching Vikings on Prime. 2 seasons in and really enjoying it
  • watched the 1st 2 episodes of next of kin last night, 2nd one dragged a bit
  • Britannia isn't my cup of tea but much of it was shot in the Czech Republic, dontcha' know. I know that canyon with the green lake at the bottom of it. They closed it to the public a while back, way too hairy a climb down and back. Not sure the Czech locations really evoke a bygone British age, although the price of beer does just that :-)
  • edited January 2018
    Brittania has all the attributes to succeed, big budget, decent actors and an exciting context for the story line - but the story telling itself is a massive let down.

Episode one should have been scene setting, getting you used to that period in British history, how the people lived and meeting the characters - that way you'd give a shit when the invasion starts. Also, all the Romans having English accents is confusing.
  • Watched episode one of Brittania and was hugely disappointed. Will give episode two a shot but I can’t see me getting hooked.
  • edited January 2018
    se9addick said:

Brittania has all the attributes to succeed, big budget, decent actors and an exciting context for the story line - but the story telling itself is a massive let down.

That seems to be the premise of most Sky exclusive TV series , drama or comedy.

Nearly everything they do seems to be style over substance.

Netflix manage to get it right for a good percentage of the time , i'm not sure why SKY can't manage it.
  • Loved season 1, 2nd starts in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJSAdwvMSo
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Sinners on Netflix.

So many plot holes its amazing quite how it ever got commissioned.
  • Hard Sun is a mixed bag. The female lead is very good, but the less said about the male lead the better!
  • edited January 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

I’m finding Miriam Margolyes ‘American road trip’ on BBC 1 very insightful.

Excellent again last night in the final part. Wish she had got to that so called "Pastor". What a total piece of shit (to put it mildly).
  • Watched Sinners on Netflix.

Ending of that was atrocious, I guess it was watchable but my wife had massively exaggerated how good it was.
  • se9addick said:

Watched Sinners on Netflix.

Ending of that was atrocious, I guess it was watchable but my wife had massively exaggerated how good it was.
    Have to admit I really enjoyed this.
    Bill Pullman was great and Jessica Biel is, well, not horrible.
  • Just watched 'The End of the ****ing World' on Netflix. It's a dark, comedy drama and it's 8x20 minute episodes so easy to watch and enjoyable. I liked it.

Also, it's older but I've recently rushed through Mad Men and really enjoyed it. The trouble is, Netflix UK only has 6 and a half seasons instead of 7! Argh.
  • Godless is very good
  • RedPanda said:

Just watched 'The End of the ****ing World' on Netflix. It's a dark, comedy drama and it's 8x20 minute episodes so easy to watch and enjoyable. I liked it.

Also, it's older but I've recently rushed through Mad Men and really enjoyed it. The trouble is, Netflix UK only has 6 and a half seasons instead of 7! Argh.

I'm burning my way through Mad Men as well, on s6 at the moment but hadn't realised until reading this that the second half of s7 isn't on there...! Bloody frustrating!
  • X Files series 11 starts on channel 5 in early February. Final series for Gillian Anderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

X Files series 11 starts on channel 5 in early February. Final series for Gillian Anderson.

They should never have brought it back. The last season was embarrassingly bad.
  • stonemuse said:

X Files series 11 starts on channel 5 in early February. Final series for Gillian Anderson.

They should never have brought it back. The last season was embarrassingly bad.
    Agreed, but I will still watch it. Apparently the search for Mulder and Scully's son is the centre piece.
  • Watched the first 2 episodes of The Bridge season 4, if you have Kodi then you will know how to find it.

The head of the Immigration department is found under the bridge, buried up to her shoulders and has been stoned to death, this is the main storyline so far.

I won't say anymore as I'm not sure when it airs here, I tweeted bbc2 two weeks ago without reply and couldn't wait anymore!!
  • What it is it with young women who go out with Russian mafia men who've never heard of contraception? Trying to see Mcmafia through to the end but it is a struggle. And Peter Varney lookalike as arch baddie is disconcerting.
  • Episodes 5 and 6 of McMafia were much better than 2,3 and 4
  • Watched the first 2 episodes of The Bridge season 4, if you have Kodi then you will know how to find it.

The head of the Immigration department is found under the bridge, buried up to her shoulders and has been stoned to death, this is the main storyline so far.

I won't say anymore as I'm not sure when it airs here, I tweeted bbc2 two weeks ago without reply and couldn't wait anymore!!

Yes, please no more potential spoilers, there are some big Bridge fans on here.

I would suppose that they are waiting for Spiral to finish (next weekend) even though it won't be on the same channel.

Yes, please no more potential spoilers, there are some big Bridge fans on here.

I would suppose that they are waiting for Spiral to finish (next weekend) even though it won't be on the same channel.

100% this. Think Spiral will be replaced by Modus on bbc4
  • MrOneLung said:

Episodes 5 and 6 of McMafia were much better than 2,3 and 4

That's interesting. I was an initial cheerleader but had to confess after a while that I was becoming a bit disappointed. At least e6 was tense, but it still seemed implausible too often.

I think I've worked out what I most dislike. The woman playing Alex' girlfriend is grotesquely overacting, and I don't find the portrayal of her relationship with him at all convincing. It's all part of the problem that they've tried to build a fiction script around a book which is non-fiction. Le Carre must be snorting with contempt, if he bothers to watch.

Good for us in Prague to see Karel Roden (playing the Czech guy) get a decent run out in e6 (and survive it). Almost guarantees that Czech TV will buy it.

• MrOneLung said:

Episodes 5 and 6 of McMafia were much better than 2,3 and 4

That's interesting. I was an initial cheerleader but had to confess after a while that I was becoming a bit disappointed. At least e6 was tense, but it still seemed implausible too often.

I think I've worked out what I most dislike. The woman playing Alex' girlfriend is grotesquely overacting, and I don't find the portrayal of her relationship with him at all convincing. It's all part of the problem that they've tried to build a fiction script around a book which is non-fiction. Le Carre must be snorting with contempt, if he bothers to watch.

Good for us in Prague to see Karel Roden (playing the Czech guy) get a decent run out in e6 (and survive it). Almost guarantees that Czech TV will buy it.

I’m still enjoying it and far better than most other weekend offerings. I know what you mean about the girlfriend. Comes across as a real misery. Alex still also gives the impression of being a bit dense.

The storyline is interesting and helpfully keeps shining a light on what our Russian ‘friends’ are up to right under our noses.
  • Winterwatch. Quality.