Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Megson Gone

Comments

• Options
    Loved this quote from Owlstalk

'GINGER MOURINHO, GINGER MOURINHO!

God I'm going to miss those chants! All the best Megson, Cheers! '

• Options
    So when the SW fans told us that Mandaric was going to spend millions we didn't realise it would be on paying off his contract and getting in a replacement.
  • Options
    As said above, Mandaric = wrong 'un - midas touch in reverse
  • Options
    I think this could mean that they spend an even longer spell in this division. They are likely to keep big crowds, but they will dwindle. Also they haven't spent a lot of money, yet they had a very good chance of going up this season. They are right about being a massive scalp in this division, and that is always going to be a problem for them - it probably costs them several points a season. If they don't go up this season it could well be another two for a new man to come in and build a team fit for purpose.

Some of Megson's signings reeked of a club trying to do it on the cheap (not unlike Parkinson's side last season) and I don't see them having the kind of money to build a whole squad like we did last summer.

Like him or loath him I think Megson has got close to the most out of the resources he has been given to play with. Sure he's made mistakes (offering Semedo much more than we did might be an example) but let's face it they have hardly made any marque signings yet until a month ago they were looking like genuine candidates for second place, and now they are five points behind having played a game more.

I think this was a knee jerk reaction and I suspect it was a mistake.
  • Options
    Sure he's made mistakes (offering Semedo much more than we did might be an example)

A bigger one was signing Michael Morrison last January and then selling him on six months later after he'd played a dozen matches. As we know he's been immense this season and Megson let him go and to a rival at that.
  • Options
    Instant Karma's gonna get you......
  • Options
    Poor decision really in same vane as Clarke's. Last season Wendies finished 15th. This season currently 3rd, plenty of games to go and play-offs nailed on. 3rd place is not a poor manager, but football is a ruthless business and expectations sometimes go beyond what is achievable. There are a lot of great teams near the top and only two can go up automatically, so some good teams will have to settle for the play-offs.

Got to feel sad for the Wendies, as deluded as they are, they have a meglamaniac at the helm and things could go very wrong from here.

I think MM would have looked at the Wendies results against Stevenage and Chesterfield and then looked at ours and thought, if they can beat them, so should we. Even if he had made the decision before the derby, he would have been mad to sack Megson the week before as it would have caused chaos. Megson was out regardless. Better for us, terrible for them. As others have posted, SCP sets the standards for other's to follow and i'm not just talking about results. SCP does more for Charlton that win games, he wins respect from his peers (Megson excluded).
  • Options
    The pressure SCP and our great team's form has put on other "massive" clubs is obvious, one promotion spot decided and they are desperate to catch the Blades............congratulations SCP!!
  • Options
    Wednesday have been a mere speck in our rear view mirror for a while now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't it be a good message for Football Club chairmen everywhere if the 3 teams to go up were us, Sheffield Utd and MK Dons!
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be a good message for Football Club chairmen everywhere if the 3 teams to go up were us, Sheffield Utd and MK Dons!
    Erase MK Fraud and insert Stevenage.
  • Options
    Class will show through though. I fully expect Smegson to make a couple of appearances on Soccer Saturday play a bit of golf for a while and then go on to some other poor unsuspecting bunch of wannabes to inflict his own particular brand of hoofball on the world. Feck off and good riddence you ginger twat.
  • Options
    who cares!
  • Options
    Erase MK Fraud and insert Stevenage.
    Which, incidentally, I don't see as too much of a stretch. Despite them being quite a way off 5th place they would be pretty confident going into the play-offs having picked up 15 points from 9 games against the rest of the top 7 teams.

• Options
    I can't believe clubs employ Megson. The football is poor and he under achieves with the players he has. I think he will go back to Notts Forest haha
  • Options
    I can't believe clubs employ Megson. The football is poor and he under achieves with the players he has. I think he will go back to Notts Forest haha
    To be fair though you could add your quote behind a lot of managers in & out of the game at the moment, it amazes me how they continue to get snapped up, some of these chairmen really need to take a good look at themselves.
  • Options
    Haven't Stevenage had a change of Manager this season? Would that not, in some way, vindicate the 'new manager' solution. Also I don't want to see their type of football rewarded. Hoofball is bad enough, but the lying on the floor and kicking opponents up in the air shouldn't be rewarded with success on the pitch in my opinion.
  • Options
    It's a shame really. I was enjoying watching him blunder his way through the season for the MASSIVE. Funny though that MM should wait until after the derby win to sack him?
  • Options
    Haven't Stevenage had a change of Manager this season? Would that not, in some way, vindicate the 'new manager' solution
    They changed manager because Graham Westley left to go to Preston, not due to sacking him. And they were already punching well above their weight prior to that change and have pretty much just maintained their form.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheffield United are the only other team in the top few that have shown any real class. They've just gone about their business in a solid, calm and professional way. Like us. They're the only other team that deserve to go up.
  • Options
    Haven't Stevenage had a change of Manager this season? Would that not, in some way, vindicate the 'new manager' solution
    They changed manager because Graham Westley left to go to Preston, not due to sacking him. And they were already punching well above their weight prior to that change and have pretty much just maintained their form.

Sure, but it would be true that a team with a new manager won the playoffs, which would put them in the same category as Huddersfield and Sheff Wed even though their manager left rather than being sacked. As they haven't fallen apart it does offer some credibility to the suggestion that a change of manager is not always a bad thing.
  • Options
    They're f*****d.

Sorry. Fooked.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dave Jones is a good manager but is he a quick impact manager? And Megson has put together a big strong squad that play direct football - will Jones stick to that or try to get them playing differently. Not always the best option as Chrissy found last season!
  • Options
    This is no different to the Parky sacking

You had Pro and against fans

You had a new owner

You had a poor brand of football that was not certain of achieving the right results

You have a team that are in a false position , They are 3 rd with more games played than others and to be honest i could see them losing another 4 games this season using the direct hoof ball techniques

next season jones will have rebuilt the team and they will go up
  • Options
    So when's Karl Robinson getting sacked then? Surely he must be next in line!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    This is no different to the Parky sacking

You had Pro and against fans

You had a new owner

You had a poor brand of football that was not certain of achieving the right results

You have a team that are in a false position , They are 3 rd with more games played than others and to be honest i could see them losing another 4 games this season using the direct hoof ball techniques

next season jones will have rebuilt the team and they will go up
    Agree, there are similarities.

Except Parky had cobbled together a team out of old bits of string and players he found down the back of his sofa.

Whilst Megson has had a MASSIVE budget to spend.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    For me it brings in an uncertainty that is more likely to have a negative short term impact than a positive one. Having said that, Manderic may have looked at a hoof ball team and compare to us then looked at the repective wage bills and decided the change was necessary. If Sheff Wednesday don't get promotion, Dave Jones may learn the same sort of lessons about the players that proved so useful to Chrissy last season and ensured he made the right choices in the Summer. So maybe, on reflection, it lessens their chances of success this season but increases it for next - we'll see!
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what happens to Semedo when the new manager comes in.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what happens to Semedo when the new manager comes in.
    Do you want him back Dan?