Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Megson Gone

Comments

• Options
    I honestly don't know what goes through some of these chairmens' massive heads!? If they got to the Playoffs and then went up, there would be no problem at all and Megson would be applauded (as would have Lee Clark had he done the same with the invincibles).

With the position they're in, I don't see why they don't just take a punt with the Playoffs and see what happens. I know they haven't been great in the last six games or so, but they're pretty much nailed on for a Playoff spot at worst.

Crazy to think Mandaric has been in the game as long as he has when he has mad moments like this.

Shame Sheffield United won tonight, otherwise I think we would have the title sealed.
  • Options
    Just go in to see this news. Brilliant. Bunch of jokers that lot in the tesco shirts.

There all happy to have Milan I'm charge. The bloke is an absolute joker when it comes to sacking managers.

Will the wendies turn on Milan now ??
  • Options
    They're already moaning about Mandaric not spending 6 squillion quid in the transfer window (like most of them had convinced themselves he was going to), so it might just be a matter of time, ORH!
  • Options
    You have to lay the blame for another statistic on the unemployment pile firmly at the door of Cameron.
  • Options
    Weird timing, can you imagine Charlton sacking their manager 3 days after beating Palace?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I reckon he was going to get the bullet the other week when it was all over twitter, but MM got p****d off that the news leaked out & thought he would delay the annoucement.....maybe half hoping they would get beat by Sheff U last weekend thus giving him a good reason to sack Megson. Dave Jones has now had time to mull over the proposition (he was spottted last week talking to MM) and now given MM the nod & so Megson goes............

simples
  • Options
    1 of them fans saying it's disgusting and I'm almost in tears

Hahahhahahaha
  • Options
    I'd guess Mandaric must have decided to sack him before the Sheffield derby, regardless of the result.

Very similar situation to Huddersfield. Both teams certain of a play-off place, but they see the chance of automatic slipping away. No real risk in sacking the manager; whoever takes over, they're not going to end up in seventh place. But an inspired new appointment might just steal second place from Shef U.

That must be the thinking. It won't work, though, any more than it will for 'Udders!!!

• Options
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if Megson gets another job. He always seems to, which (even though I dislike him) says a lot. What's interesting is that he has not cut it at this level - a league where it perhaps suits his style more than any - where it is fashionable to play percentage football as a way of gaining success (a la Stevenage). Maybe that's dying off - i.e. you need to be able to play football in any league these days, not just in the Champ and Prem. Dave Jones will have the Dee Dahs playing footy, but is it too late for the autos? How good is their squad? Charlton's squad was well respected this time last year, but they could hardly string a (crucial) pass together between Feb and May 2011, even though Powell came in! If DJ gets the job, then I could see them romping it next season. Glad this did not happen in Dec.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uh oh...

Thanks for that! Just spit beer all over my iPad
    that's got me shacking in my Wellington boots !
  • Options
    Tell you what guys and gals...enjoy the rest of this season and savour every moment. Because surely there cannot be another season where virtually every night there is reason to feel good about being a Charlton fan, and not a fan of one of this lot.
    I can't remember anything like it..two of a top 4 this late on sacking their managers. And you know what..it's all down to us. We have collared the top spot and made them panic. I have always maintained that Mandaric doesnt have anything like the wedge that people seem to believe. This is all about inevitable financial implosion if they dont go up this season.
  • Options
    Exactly, PA. One by one we are breaking the chasing pack. Delicious!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I suspect this is about the level of support Megson feels he has had from Mandaric and/ or Aldridge and the resulting strained relationship between the parties (bit like us with Pardew who clearly thought he was going to have a larger budget than he eventually ended up with (thanks to the banking crisis).

Megson was reported to have even referred Mandaric's alleged conversation(s) with Dave Jones to the LMA. No doubt he will be suing for constructive dismissal.

In fairness to Megson the last place he was looking to shop was in the loan market, he was intent on avoiding the pitfalls but after Bywater, R Jones, Bennett, Semedo, Prutton, Llera (all on frees) and the purchase of O'Grady, Lowe, Lines and M Jones (all for modest fees) that is where he has had to spend most of his time.

A couple of the loans even seemed Mandaric inspired (Uchechi was one, I forget the other guy) but Megson had to loan Baath, Tavernier, Marshall, Watt, McGoldrick, Bostock and now Antonio (9 players in all) having recently been turned down by 5 other players. Losing Marshall really seemed to throw them off course.

I have little doubt our current success will have had some impact, - they took Semedo off us on higher wages - they wanted Green - sold us Morrison (been outstanding for us) and signed Lowe after he rejected us. You can imagine some of the conversations that will have gone on.

I have never liked Megson but you have to have a degree of sympathy with the guy. He has done an OK job in the 12months he was in charge. In all honesty you would have to question the sanity of the next bloke looking to take the job.

• Options

strange decision.............must be down to personality....in comes Jones
  • Options
    Bizarre timing. It's takes some of the fun away knowing the decision was made by a madman. Oh well, Massive Megson should ahve done better with what he had. Thought he could piss the league playing hoofball with 2 CBs at full back and a couple of bullies in the middle with no width, and as a result didn't show the other teams enough respect on or off the field. As Jose proved, if you talk a big game and antagonise everyone you'd better get the results on the pitch or you're going to look very silly. He encouraged the fans and the players to think they could just turn up at the likes of Chesterfield and Stevenage, but we learned ourselves the hard way that respecting every team's ability to take a result off you is what drags you out of this division. The way he treated Morrison and Powell when we played at their place makes me have little sympathy for him. Not very professional, not very good. That should be his epitaph
  • Options
    Not sure why they want Jones, Wednesday are heading for the play offs where Jones hasn't had much luck in.
  • Options
    This is a real pain in the arse. Mugson would have had precisely zero chance of getting enough out of them to mount even a half-hearted challenge for second. With Jones (or Clark) in charge, they've got a chance, and there's always the 'new manager bounce' effect that teams often seem to experience after a manager gets the pump.
  • Options
    Sympathy for Megson?

Really?

On what planet?
  • Options
    Was peeking at owlstalk a few days ago and read some of the comments regarding Huddersfield sacking Clark. Lots of laughing at how they've now blown any chance of promotion and how crazy it is to sack your manager at this point of the season when in the play-offs. Wonder if they're still finding it funny?

The problem for them now is whoever steps in will have to work with a squad that has been built to only play one style, and not a pretty one at that. if the new man thinks more along the lines of Powelly's way of thinking and wants to play an attractive attacking style of play, he will find himself with a load of square pegs for round holes, as did CP when he took over, and we all now what happened to us last season.

Despite a complete lack of regard for smegson, I believe that with the tools available, he was their best chance of going up this season.

Got a feeling this is gonna be a MASSIVELY disappointing season for Wendy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mandaric has obviously lined up Dave Jones, that's why he has tin-tacked Megson.

Lovely game football, isn't it?
  • Options
    Mandaric has obviously lined up Dave Jones, that's why he has tin-tacked Megson.

Wolves lined up Curbs - or so they thought!

• Options
    "Gary, you are MASSIVE, you made us MASSIVE, Long Reign Gary Megsons Barmy Army"

Another gem
  • Options

Wolves lined up Curbs - or so they thought!

From what I read I think Wolves only said they wanted to talk to Curbs about the job, I don't think they met him beforehand.

In this case, if the reports are true, Mandaric has been meeting with Jones - and given they were probably not discussing the state of Arab-Israeli relations - its fair to say he was probably sounded out about taking the job.

We should know by the weekend anyway.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2012
    Looking at Owlstalk they all seem to have thought they were heading in the right direction with Megson. I must admit it seems a stupid decision by Mandaric and, whatever has been said throughout the season, I do feel for their fans. It just makes me glad we don't have a madman in charge of us and that we have CP at the helm. Happy days to be a Charlton fan and let's enjoy this for all it's worth. :-)
  • Options
    Some real melodramatic fools on there!

"in 43 years of watching owls never been so gutted honestly can see me going again short term and im season ticket holder and have tickets for next two away games."

You weren't more gutted when being relegated to the 3rd Division? Odd

• Options
    How sad is that link? Grown men speaking as if they have lost a loved one or worse.
    FFS its only a football manager that has been sacked, get a life
  • Options
    I knew Megson had been around the houses a bit but I'd forgottten this:

Dec 95 - July 96 Norwich
    July 96- July 97 Blackpool
    July 97 - June 99 Stockport
    July 99 - Nov 99 Stoke
    Mar 00 - Oct 04 West Brom
    Jan 05 - Feb 06 Nottingham Forest
    Sept 07 - Oct 07 Leicester
    Oct 07 - Dec 09 Bolton
    Feb 11 - Feb 12 Sheffield Wednesday