Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 0 Huddersfield - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Just love our determination to win everything this season. Summed up brilliantly with Solly last night, under the cosh a bit, he mishits his clearance yet never takes his eye off the ball. It loops over the defender, great control to bring it down and beats two of their men before getting fouled. Great to see.
  • Options

Plan A- Play pretty football and thrash the lower teams in the league.

Plan B- Dig in and battle teams like them for 90 minutes.

Good stuff the boys

• Options
    I think Parkin has a terrific touch for a large player.
  • Options
    Great win, defence again were brilliant, had worries at the start when I saw him starting Russel and Ephraim, both did well in the first half though. Hughes put in a shift and felt Ephraim faded a bit 2nd half. Hamer got better as the game wore on after a few dodgy catches early in the 2nd half.

MotM for me was Kermit, won everything in the air all night. Green played well as well, especially for the quick throw which got us our 2nd.

Thought Huddersfield were the best team I've seen down here since Brighton last season. They looked strong and solid, good news they play Wednesday in a few weeks and they look a much better side than them, especially as Wednesday rely alot on their height and strength something which Huddersfield will match. So if we win our next 2 games we could be 9/10 points ahead of either of them two. Good times.
  • Options

Huddersfield played some great football and didn't hoof it, we hoofed it a lot to BWP..

What game was you watching??
  • Options

Excellent all round performance.

Back four & Hamer were superb, the first 10 mins i thought we was in for a long night but we defended superbly and then we started to play. Its so comforting now that we have a defense that installs confidence not only in the rest of the team but the 18,000 watching them. I never felt 'on edge' after we went infront, although Hamers top save onto the post was crutial.

Solly was immense.

Kermit didnt lose a header all night. If i was him i would have been doing my nut at BWP last night. I dont wanna dig him out because he has been instrumental so far with his goals....but just wish he would take more of a gamble sometimes.

Ephraim didnt really get into the game until his goal but then grew in confidence and looks another good addition to the side. Same applies to Russel who i thought played well 1st half.

Huddersfield a good side but after the first 10 mins i thought we controlled the game.

• Options
    Good comments from the Huddersfield Town supporter. You can see why Huddersfield have been unbeaten in the league for such long stretches. They played quick, pressing and passing football. Other teams in the league would have likely crumbled in the face of the pressure. The Charlton back line was excellent and the team played as a unit and never stopped pressing and competing. It was a fine Charlton performance.

The game would not have looked out of place in the championship. I hope that Charlton and Huddersfield can get promoted this year and we can have another cracking game at the Valley next season in the Championships.

Good luck to Huddersfield.
  • Options
    I thought that the whole team played well, the full backs were outstanding, and I was really pleased with the performance of Ephraim Hogan, who looked the part and fitted in perfectly. I thought that Daryl Russell did OK as well.

I want to mention Chris Solly, excellent tenacity, what a fine right back.
  • Options
    18,000 fans on a Monday night in the Third Divison with the game on the telly? That must be some sort of record (not like a certain almost-run that we've been hearing a lot about lately).

I thought that Huddersfield were a very decent side and we needed to play well to beat them - which we did. Back five all superb, Green put some excellent crosses in, although he was not alone in that (Wiggins put the cross of the match in IMO, and Waggy even managed a lovely whipped ball during his brief appearance), the two new guys both played well, Hollands was his usual self and Yann was brilliant. My only gripe last night was the amount of times BWP was caught offside
    because he was sauntering back rather than running or even jogging. Major surprise for me was that we didn't miss JJ. I was very worried about that but it seems we coped very well.

COYR!
  • Options

Great example of 90-minute football. Huddersfield started with an onslaught of speed, aggression and brilliance. I knew they couldn't sustain that and they didn't. We held things tight for the whole match, defending superbly when necessary and Huddersfield actually became fairly tatty as the match went on.

Some brilliant displays within that team performance. Solly was out of this world!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you cant get carried away a tad after beating a team who hadnt lost for 43 games and when your seven points clear at the top of the league ---then when can you. Buzzing still.

Well done the club for the 1 mins clapping for Garry Speed
    Well done the club for the £10 on the night ad getting 18,000 through the door.
  • Options
  • Options
    The Man Behind Me kept saying if we let in one, we will let in two - we can't defend. My goodness - if that wasn't a convincing display of how to keep a load, I don't know what was. Of course, we will never know - if they had have scored one, TMBM might have been right. All I can say is that Morrison, Taylor and Hughes in the second half kept the middle firmly locked. The backs played their part too, of course. A first class performance from a team that wants to succeed.
  • Options
    Just looking at the Huddersfield forum and comparing to the gobshite Wednesday fans. It's like chalk and cheese! Hudders are complimentary about us, realistic about their own shortcomings last night, still optimistic about the season as a whole (as they should be, they're a good side) and generally it's a nice forum to read. Then you look at Owlstalk and realise what a bunch of twats they are on there!
  • Options
    edited November 2011

An extremely impressive performance.

Make no mistake Huddersfield were no mugs at this level and should be there or thereabouts come the end of the season yet our defence was immense. The full backs coped with the pace and trickery Huddersfield had out wide,  Taylor and particularly Morrison dominated in the middle against Rhodes and "the beast". On the rare occasions they were breached Hamer did his stuff too.

Solly yapping at "the beasts" heels, tackling him and coming away with the ball was a highlight of the second half for me.

The midfield battled gamely and supported the defence but, and I'm prepared to accept it might have been my nerves giving that illusion, Huddersfield seemed to have more of the ball especially second half.

Kermorgant won nearly everything, scored and nearly got a second. Please God his injury is not serious. He will be a big miss! BWP stuck to his task but looked frustrated at times. Not sure why.

Finally, as a fuly paid up Charlton fan, two negatives. The first, already mentioned, Kermit's injury the second what happened to Red, Red Robin? All I heard was the final bars quietly fading when the players shook hands. Did Sky order us not to play it?

• Options
    edited November 2011

An extremely impressive performance.

Make no mistake Huddersfield were no mugs at this level and should be there or thereabouts come the end of the season yet our defence was immense. The full backs coped with the pace and trickery Huddersfield had out wide,  Taylor and particularly Morrison dominated in the middle against Rhodes and "the beast". On the rare occasions they were breached Hamer did his stuff too.

Solly yapping at "the beasts" heels, tackling him and coming away with the ball was a highlight of the second half for me.

The midfield battled gamely and supported the defence but, and I'm prepared to accept it might have been my nerves giving that illusion, Huddersfield seemed to have more of the ball especially second half.

Kermorgant won nearly everything, scored and nearly got a second. Please God his injury is not serious. He will be a big miss! BWP stuck to his task but looked frustrated at times. Not sure why.

Finally, as a fuly paid up Charlton fan, two negatives. The first, already mentioned, Kermit's injury the second what happened to Red, Red Robin? All I heard was the final bars quietly fading when the players shook hands. Did Sky order us not to play it?

• Options
    As a town fan I am disappointed to lose.  I felt that we dominated possession for long periods of the game and had you lot playing on the break but you defended very well and we defended poorly.  With a bit of luck we could have had a point.  I am still positive about the season and feel that we have a good enough squad to go up automatically. I couldn't care less about the record I just don't understand all the bitterness about it from other fans, promotion is what its all about. I thought the lad Green was excellent for you.  See you at the Galpharm for round two and hoping that we both get out of this division and are playing Championship football next season.
  • Options
    Quoting yourself, Len?

:-)
  • Options
    As a town fan I am disappointed to lose.  I felt that we dominated possession for long periods of the game and had you lot playing on the break but you defended very well and we defended poorly.  With a bit of luck we could have had a point.  I am still positive about the season and feel that we have a good enough squad to go up automatically. I couldn't care less about the record I just don't understand all the bitterness about it from other fans, promotion is what its all about. I thought the lad Green was excellent for you.  See you at the Galpharm for round two and hoping that we both get out of this division and are playing Championship football next season.

I think the record business is because The Football League Show and Claridge, who hates us, made a lot of it while only showing 10 seconds of us despite having a clear lead at the top.

As I said higher up the thread Huddersfield are a decent side and will be there or thereabouts come May.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

promotion is what its all about

Repeat and repeat and repeat...

• Options
    Quoting yourself, Len?

I don't know what I did there!

It won't let me edit it either.

• Options
    edited November 2011

I have an idea that Huddersfield will once again only get as far as the play offs. Sheffields Wednesday and United look strong and consistent, MK Dons are a surprise, well organised package and as for CAFC ... what can I say ?

The Terriers defence is a little bit suspect, the midfield pretty but lacks bite  and the attack is over-reliant on Rhodes. It'll be a pity if Huddersfield once again fail at the last hurdle as it is a nice club, nice people, perhaps a bit too nice.

• Options
    Len i have had some probs today on here. On the players rating it said i had gone over  the amount of characters by 2,800 ! another post didnt appear at all. Maybe the site is still buzzing like the rest of us.
  • Options

Buzzing like everyone else ... strong capable display against the best team I have seen at  the Valley this season ... would not be a bad thing if both teams got promotion.

Amazing that if we could keep up this form we would end up with 111 points, 101 goals scored, and a goal difference of plus 67.

OK, not gonna happen but good to see how our strong start works out over a season.

• Options
    Good that we attracted 3,000 more fans to a televised school night game against a Northern team than a Saturday London derby in the division above...
  • Options

Writing this before reading the thread.

It looked to me like Huddersfield wanted to launch it long throughout the game, our passing game was a little bit less in evidence than it has been in recent weeks, but it was there, more on the deck passing football from us than from them.

Huddersfield had decent support, including a duck and (the great actor...yes really) Patrick Stewart, and they were well up for competing from the off, loads of corners. However the first actual attempt on goal was a weak left footed shot from BWP, and we scored from our second, and I think third attempts.

Greens cross for Yanns goal was excellent, and BWP more or less created the second goal by putting effort in.

Up front for them Parkin was much better than Rhodes yesterday, but our central defence coped well with them. Solly is getting so good I wonder if we can keep him, and Wiggy, well we know he can do it going forward, but his defending in the second half was outstanding.

Hollands was immense, especially when we needed it most in the second half.

BWP worried them all night and Yann was simply excellent excellent excellent, wished his FK had gone in.

Huddersfield visibly crumbled after the second goal, they are a good side, and put in a worthy shift at 0-2, but they were sort of playing by numbers, and seemed to accept their record was coming to an end, at half time I never really thought we wouldn't win.

Our support was excellent, and pretty much non-stop.

The ref fell over which I thought was a nice touch.

Chris Powell, and his staff set that up perfectly, and I now wonder why I was bricking it before the game.

Personally I would prefer Huddersfield to go up rather than Weds, but the best footballing side we have played so far are MKD.

Opposition message boards keep going on about us not being all that, but it reminds me of the retort 'it's funny, the more I practice the luckier I get'. For a team who are not all that we're doing OK, lets wait until this team gels to make a judgement huh?

• Options
    I think it was a great effort by over 1000 Huddersfield fans to make the long trip down South, knowing that to lose was going to mean a sad journey home, especially on a Monday night when they could have just watched it on the telly.  Proper loyalty that!  Having said that  - if they can get the pie eater fit, he'd be a real handful even for our CBs.  He reminded me of the way Jorge Costa used to chug around the pitch.  From our point of  view, I'm not sure how you pick a MOM, great team effort!
  • Options

What a great game of football, two of the top teams in our league slogging it out, great advert for League 1 and happened to be on SKY.

We did very well in a thrilling derby like match end to end even when the goals had stopped.

The ref: thought he was a little lenient on them, their challenges were pretty rough and no doubt attempting to intimidate (which failed), thought their could have been more yellows for them and possibly second yellows

Them: clearly a good well knitted team, but seemed to lack a bit of quality that we don't on the finishing side. They frustrated our attack with an offside trap, luckily there is more to our game however.

Us: Thought Solly was immense, and MOM for me although as many have said their were many other contenders. We kept them pretty quiet for a team who are supposed to be as good as us on their day (I think not). The fact that we looked that much better and without Mr Jackson says heaps about how far the management and owners have taken us since nearly a year ago when they bought the club. I was cynical and thought Powell's appointment was a huge gamble, which it was, however it seems to be paying off big time.

Excellent stuff

• Options
    edited November 2011

Guys - are we right to believe Kermit is likely to be ok?

Comment from Hudds fan watching on TV:

Solly and Green (signed from Dagenham!) were superb. I absolutely hated that last minute cheating though by Kermorgant. 90th min, falls over. Clarke running backwards falls over his body. He rolls round holding his head, the head injury becomes a leg injury, the leg injury turns to cramp, the four staff around him tELL him to stay down, he is stretchered off yet two mins later is running round the pitch celebrating. I HATE THAT!!!!

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=62634#ixzz1f5uReSgp