Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 0 Huddersfield - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Great support, absolutely buzzing, being up in the H block completely different to sitting in the west stand

Thought Green wasnt gonna be up to much, at the start didnt look like he 'wanted it' to much, slow to chase balls down. But he got into the game and played very well like everyone else.
    Glad we didnt go and sit really deep.
  • Options
    Thought overall the ref had a good game. Let some tough challenges go, for both sides and allowed the game to flow. Did however miss a definate penalty for us when Kermy took a big nudge in the back as he was jumping in the second half.
  • Options
    What an absolute pleasure to watch that was this afternoon, i don't get to see us live often & had become accustomed to the swill that has been served up for us "confined to live TV scraps " viewers in previous seasons - painful memories of home losses to Orient & Swindon, miserable away defeats at Bristol Rovers, umpteen debacles in the Cup - this was our best TV performance since we blew Reading away on a Saturday lunchtime 3 & 1/2 seasons ago.

Immensely impressed by the fighting spirit & amazing organization that this team displays. The amount of understanding between them all over the park was a joy to behold, centre backs working in unison, full backs & wide midfielders covering for each other & creating, the strike pair looking dangerous - this is not the Charlton I had been glimpsing in highlight shows & the above live TV extravaganzas.

Shades of 99-00 about this lot...long may it continue.
  • Options
    Couldn't post last night as I was remonstrating with Mrs RM about my balls not being quite right again - my alter-ego Physic RM predicted a 2-1 win.....must get my balls working properly again, and Mrs RM needs to up her game on them!!
    On a serious note....I thought we looked immense, Taylor and Morrow had Rhodes in their pocket, Solly, Green down the right-hand side played excellently and really pushed their back four.....same can be said for Wiggy and Hogan down the left. The new guy Russell impressed in the middle and Hughes also gave a good cameo performance, and like everyone else on here 'Kermy' was just awesome. Add BWP, Hollo and Hamer and that was one hell of a good, professional, and solid performance against a side that will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. CP was very 'low-key' in his after match interview....."just another win........". Fair play also to Lee Clarke for not moaning about decisions as well, a good advert for League 1 football......well done to both teams, well done CP and well done the Addicks supporters at the game....never went silent once. COYR's

Oh and blood pressure and heart rate though the roof in the last 20 minutes!!
  • Options
    Still buzzing great night that win is a massive message to the rest hope the players keep their feet on the ground

Cos mine are well off
  • Options
    Brilliant performance by all the players, Kermit stood out for me, hope the injury not too serious.
    Chris Powell plays his tactics just perfectly. Same again at walsall in two weeks please!
  • Options
    First of all, well played Charlton Athletic, you deserved and it was an excellent victory! You must feel justifiably proud! 

The pace and tempo was relentless and I thought the whole match was a great advert for League One football with two teams having a real go at each other for ninety plus minutes. To be honest I thought we (Hudders) played well, in fact I'd go as far as to say we played the better football for long spells (just my opinion obviously) but we just couldn't break through. Your second goal was the killer really, we switched off and psychologically that really mattered. Basically, your performance was very organised, determined and strong and that won the day because a lot of teams crumble when we play at that sort of tempo and apply that kind of pressure. Clearly your lads are flying at the moment and fair play to them. I firmly believe on another day with a little bit more luck there could have been a different outcome. 

However, it's over now! The 'records' been broken and a whole new challenge lies ahead! Good luck Charlton, you have an excellent team who, if they're able to keep up that level of performance will be promoted automatically in May.

Regards

AceT (HTFC)  
  • Options

Nice one Ace and thank you, I hope you go up with us...assuming we do. Long way to go for us both yet.

I do hope you can drop the long punts up to the beast though....it made you very one dimesional, albeit you did play some good midfield football in the second half but lacked the killer pass to your forwards. HTFC are a more likeable club than the Wendys so go beat them when you play them shortly.

• Options
    Quite impressed with the Hudds fans comments on their board and this, they did play very well last night and kept chasing right to the end, its the Sheff Wendy's who seem the most over confident now, would love to see an Addicks 1/2 and then an all Sheffield playoff semi with the winner losing to Orient at Wembley but as Sir CP said, one win, 3 points, one aim so will try not get to carried away!
  • Options

Great night what I liked most about this performance was how we fought for every ball and never conceded ground sure there was a few nervy moments but you expect that against a good side like Huddersfield who were always going to make it difficult for us. I thought Hamer had a great game looked very solid, our centre backs never gave an inch and as ever Solly and Wiggins were class which in my opinion is why we are doing so well our defence is solid.

Hopefully Kermits injury isn't as serious as it looked as he was a real threat last night, great first touch, playing others in and deadly in the air. Congratulations to the whole team and well done Lee Clark for being honest and sporting.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Ace.  I think Huddersfield are the best away team we've seen at The Valley so for this season.  It'll be interesting to see how your team are psychologically now that the unbeaten run has gone; will they lose some confidence as a result or will it fire them up to go on another run?  I was worried about us when we lost to Stevenage but we've won every game since then, so the odd defeat isn't necessarily that harmful as long as you bounce back and I reckon that you will.
  • Options
    I thought Hudds were a cut above anything else we have seen this year. It was really the first time at home this season we had to dig in and stick with a team in patches. COYR
  • Options
    I was chatting to a terrier whilst queuing up for my meat & chips last night and whilst the press were falling over themselves over this unbeaten record, according to this guy, most HT supporters were not bothered by it and meant very little to them as they lost the one that really mattered back in May. Nice to talk to someone who was realistic, unlike wendy's fans who have delusions of grandure and think they're gonna smash anyone who gets in their way.
  • Options

IN THE STANDS we have supporters who have endured watching their team slide down a greasy pole, playing some pretty dire football, but still loyal and loud in their support.

ON THE PITCH we have players who have bonded brilliantly, so obviously comitted to the shirt and playing excellent football.

ON THE SIDE we have a Manager and his coaching team who have taken 21 strangers more or less, and have got them playing like a team that has been together for a long time.

IN THE BOARD ROOM we have Owners/Directors who understand the need, have put in place a plan, and are making support available to the Manager in  our journey upwards.

ONE CLUB....ONE VOICE

• Options

Just for Barnsey

ONE AIM

• Options
    Very impressive
  • Options
    Hmmm...it's going to be a real test of character for our team now but to be honest the unbeaten record has been a burden at times so maybe we'll find a new lease of life. (grasping at straws perhaps?) As for lumping the ball up field, we don't normally play that way, we usually like to get it down and pass the ball. I think the inclusion of Parkin almost invites that style of play, which is fair enough when that's what is needed but clearly we needed more craft and know how to unlock a very solid Charlton defense last night. I'm slightly surprised we didn't bring Lee Novak on because he would have run the channels and pulled defenders about. Still - we didn't!

It's good to hear that most of you think we're decent side because League positions don't lie do they? Charlton are on top on merit and you totally deserve that. There's still a long way to go yet so things might change but for now - very well done.

AceT (HTFC)
  • Options
    The morning after the night before. Looking out on a brilliant sunny day. All the fear is gone. There 's a long way to go, but for the first time in years we have a team to be proud of. Strong in every department, patient and straightforward when need be, but with the extra bit of class to undo the best teams in the division. And you know what is amazing...so few cards. Check it out. If there was a fair play league we'd be running away with it. We used to think that cards were a symbol of passion and balls. Well that's balls. This team gets its tackles in precisely, no lazy late ones, and doesnt waste its breath mouthing at the referee. Whom does that remind me of? Why that great left back, Sir Chris Powell, of course.
    Walk tall, my friends. We are Charlton Athletic. We are on the long march back, and we fear nobody.
  • Options

Great result and a good match.

For the first time last night I watched Curbs on TV and thought "we don't need you". He looked like yesterday's man.

• Options

Parkin is fooking Huge and should not be playing football

disgraceful shape for a pro footballer

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acetripper

I don't get to see enough 90 minutes of games, but I've seen Wednesday this season and your team is way better than theirs.There is an integrity there which Wednesday lack. Comes from the manager, I reckon. Tough game no quarter given but only one card. Says a lot good about you.  Town have always been a proper club with proper supporters. I hope and believe you will finish second behind us.
  • Options
    Replying to some points made on this thread.

Curbs doesn't hate us, he smiling after they showed the highlights and we will hit a tough patch.

Huddersfield played some great football and didn't hoof it, we hoofed it a lot to BWP..

They were a great team and put up a performance as similar to Tranmere and Scunthorpe, but this team is really gelling together now and look eminence. I think we would beat Scunthorpe if we played them again. Tranmere were a bit better IMO. MK Dons are very close to Huddersfield now and can't be ignored, they will be tough opponents.

To be honest, I didn't think the atmosphere was that good, apart from at the start and at the end.
  • Options
    The morning after the night before. Looking out on a brilliant sunny day. All the fear is gone. There 's a long way to go, but for the first time in years we have a team to be proud of. Strong in every department, patient and straightforward when need be, but with the extra bit of class to undo the best teams in the division. And you know what is amazing...so few cards. Check it out. If there was a fair play league we'd be running away with it. We used to think that cards were a symbol of passion and balls. Well that's balls. This team gets its tackles in precisely, no lazy late ones, and doesnt waste its breath mouthing at the referee. Whom does that remind me of? Why that great left back, Sir Chris Powell, of course.
    Walk tall, my friends. We are Charlton Athletic. We are on the long march back, and we fear nobody.

Great post PA, agree with all that. Very nice to be CAFC this morning, great win last night and great atmosphere. Cracking
  • Options
    Acetripper....some interesting comments. I can see that if the emphasis is on not losing, the temptation might be to defend rather than attack. No offence, but I think the Manager and the team tended to reflect the 'dour Yorkshireman' image, and you could do with a bit of sparkle somewhere. Thinking about today's successful teams you need to ditch the 'lumping up the middle' tactic, we have seen a lot of that over the past few years. Better to remember the teams who dominated this League last season. In any event I wish you well for the rest of the season, please don't let Megson and co beat you.
  • Options
    Anyone watching on tv, what did Curbs have to say about us? Any insight?
  • Options

Acetripper

I thought you started very brightly but your final ball wasnt there, you wasted a lot of free kicks and corners. With regards to Parkin when Big Yann come in our team we did similar pump it up to him it will take time for Clark to tell his players how he wants to use him. We are now seeing the best of our Big man.

To the game itself thought it was a bit frantic at times and we didnt get our game going as previously but this was more due to the tempo both teams played at.

Great delivery from Green set us on the way and the second we may have had a stroke of luck I've seen them given but quick thinking got us our goal.

Sat a little deep for my liking in the 2nd half but its a superb result and i think sky got it spot on with Taylor as MOM, we are a very difficult team to break down and he goes about his business very quietly but assured.

• Options
    I think you are all over reacting, in general we were negative and our passing was very poor at times.  This seven point cushion is remarkable and only there because other teams have done us a favour, hopefully the gap will mean we get into the playoffs this year though.  
  • Options

Oh well that was an attempt to calm myself down and it did not work.  Woo hoo.

Title could be wrapped up by Easter at this rate

• Options

Without reading the rest of the thread...

I don't think that could have gone much better last night. Soaked up the pressure very well and took our chances when they came.

Defence was imperious. Taylor might have got the sky Man of the Match, but for me Solly, Morro and Wiggins were right up there with him. Didn't hear a peep from Rhodes all night. Parkin? More like Porkin. Always felt confident with balls whipped in towards Hamer.

Russell looked promising alongside Hollands in the middle, and I think our football suffered slightly when he was taken off. Hogan looked exciting on the left and took his goal well, JJ style. Green's set pieces were dangerous, and looked good with the ball at his feet.

Kermit did not lose one aerial ball and his header for the goal was immense. BWP worked hard, but just failed to read Kermit on some occasions. Always had the Huddersfield defenders in a pickle though.

Sir Chris Powell got it right, and always looks so classy on that touchline.

The crowd was Premier League. The noise was fantastic from before the first whistle, and the minutes applause for Speedo was spine tingling, even if I think a minutes silence would be more appropriate.

In summary, what a night. Top at Christmas for sure, 7 points clear, proving Udders are beatable (as if we didn't know), and all in front of the Sky cameras. I love you Charlton.