Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney Gets 3 Game Euro Ban

Comments

• Options

I think it sends out a terrible message to other young footballers whereby you can kick someone and still get to a major compeitition playing with England. If the ban stands as it is for 3 games, I don't believe he should be taken to the competition as he's made a massive mistake by kicking out, and should be punished for it.  He has let himself and his team mates down.

I imagine he feels pretty foolish for what he did, and even more sick when he knows he could miss 3 games, and if he misses the whole competition as we'd be a player down for the first 3 games and then get knocked out before he gets a chance to play he'll certainly think twice before losing his temper again in the future.

You may say it shouldn't impact Englands chances as a team, but he did it. no one else. he wasn't thinking of the team when he kicked out. England football will be better on the whole for trying to get things like this out of the game.

I know i sound over the top but something needs to change in football and the players need to be regulated more to bring them back into line with normality a bit more. It's a game, that has turned into a business, and the focus needs to get back more to the game side of things.

• Options
    Well said Suzi.
  • Options

What if Rooney continues to have a storming club season all the way through to May?

Will Capello take him then? I think he will.

What he did was ridiculous and imo he deserves his 3 match ban. But England haven't got many game changers and if we do get through the group stages, a fresh Rooney could give the team fresh impetus.

• Options
    I agree with all the Rooney is a moron/bad example to youngsters etc etc sentiments above. 

But given you don't need 8 defenders or midfielders, it would be mental to not take Rooney as a 5th striker. You're allowed such a big squad that it's not even an issue.
  • Options
    I wish Nike would get Rooney to do a version of this http://youtu.be/cdtejCR413c or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMzdAZ3TjCA
  • Options

What if Rooney continues to have a storming club season all the way through to May?

Like he did in the 2009/10 season, when he was arguably the best player in the Premiership but still managed to look like a Sunday Leaguer in the World Cup?
  • Options

Like he did in the 2009/10 season, when he was arguably the best player in the Premiership but still managed to look like a Sunday Leaguer in the World Cup?
    My point being that Fabio has said he picks players on form.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm glad he's banned. We're not going to win the Euros (there are half a dozen teams with more chance than us), but I'd quite like to cheer on the team - something I struggle to do when I see Rooney and Terry in the starting line up.

Rooney's personal life led to him producing a series of utterly dreadful
    performances that helped heap the misery in South Africa. I'd leave him
    behind for that alone.

Although for those who would like to see him there, fitting him in the squad, given the amount of players England have who can fill in other roles (Young can play on both wings or up front, Jones can cover several defensive positions etc) it's not going to be hard to find a spot for Wayne. Sadly.
  • Options

He may have said it but in reality he didn't just pick form players in the world cup finals and he also picked players that wern't fit.  The chances are though he will pick Rooney regardless.  Some managers never learn from their mistakes.
  • Options

He may have said it but in reality he didn't just pick form players in the world cup finals and he also picked players that wern't fit.  The chances are though he will pick Rooney regardless.  Some managers never learn from their mistakes.
    To be fair though he has got rid of most of the old boys club that used to be there. I think he has learned from his mistakes, the squads in qualifying have seen a mixture of youngplayers doing well for their clubs but with some experienced players as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slightly off topic but do you like me, every now and then when you think about the England football team, still scratch your head and wonder how on earth Capello is still in charge?

• Options
    3 games for violent conduct in a 38 game league season, fine. 3 games in a 6 game tournament, massively over the top 

But it's not the first time he's kicked out petulantly at a player in a UEFA tournament.

Correct punishment in my opinion. I'd take him though, just to make him train and work hard as a punishment.

• Options
    edited October 2011

Slightly off topic but do you like me, every now and then when you think about the England football team, still scratch your head and wonder how on earth Capello is still in charge?

Not really, the best record of any England manager since the war. Don't forget we have just qualified for another tournament with him and we were unbeaten (not that you would know it). Yes he made mistakes in SA, but the players need to take a lot of the blame as well for that shambles. Also he has quite an impressive record in club football, more than any other current English manager.

But yeah let's ignore all that and get the Italian out, all his fault innit

• Options

I always want England to do well but mainly so we can have a series of parties when the tournaments are on and of course it would be great if we actually won or achieved something to reinvigorate a bit if national pride. Having said that, there is always a bit of me that wants the likes of Rooney, Terry, Defoe,  Ashley Cole, Ferdinand and all the other up their own arse premiership nauses to really make a mug of themsleves and fail. It would be great to have a team of players who you could actually genuinely get behind and respect so one silver lining to this is that it may give somebody else a chance who might appreciate it and not act as though he's doing us a favour by playing. That and the fact that since Rooney has been on the scene, we've achieved bugger all, marginally less than we did before. 

• Options
    Your best eleven players don't necessarily make your best team. The Germans work on this principle and do very well in tournaments as a result.

I wouldn't take Rooney, and consequently wouldn't let him near the English squad between now and Euro 2012. In fact this whole fiasco may be a godsend - just like Square Ball Wilkins' red card was at Mexico 1986, stumbling upon Platt before Italia 1990 and the belated appreciation of Owen Hargreaves more recently.

Taking Rooney out of the equation means that England have a chance of finding that missing ingredient which England have frequently failed to supply- namely an element of surprise and unpredictability. According to my optimistic forecast between now and Poland/ Ukraine England will find a saviour / or saviours (along the lines of Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne) from an unexpected source. For that Wayne, I am extremely grateful.

We just need to rub Lampard, Ferdinand and John Terry up the wrong way...

• Options

Hmmm. Best record he may have, I can't be bothered to even check that out but that is just a statistic. When was the last time we played a few games in a row and looked convincing?

Yes he made mistakes in the WC, the players were poor but he is the boss and the buck stops with him. What I do not like is the way he has done absolutely nothing to embrace the English game. His lack of grasp of the English language is ridiculous considering the posistion he holds. He has nothing to do with any other team apart from the senior side. He hardly goes to any matches in this country apart from the big ones. He doesn't go to European matches. And this is after we were told by the FA that the great man - yes superb club record - was going to have a major effect on English football from youth to senior. He has done nothing apart from take an enourmous amount of money out of our game.

• Options

I feel that way. I don't think his pre-England record is relevant, and I accept he has been successful in qualifying groups - albeit against some pretty underwhelming opposition. But the one nagging thought I have is, the England football team is flawed in multiple ways, and in order to achieve something, have to play as a side stronger than the sum of their parts. But when it's mattered, Capello achieved quite the opposite.

The teams he picked in SA were no cleverer than anyone on this site would have picked. At least now he's playing 4-3-3 I get the sense that he's trying!!
  • Options
    I would much much much rather have someone like Capello in charge than that [insert expletive of choice] Redknapp. Besides, 'Arry's bloody english is hard enough to understand anyway... I swear he lays it on thick to try and fit the image the press have made for him.
  • Options
    I would much much much rather have someone like Capello in charge than that [insert expletive of choice] Redknapp. Besides, 'Arry's bloody english is hard enough to understand anyway... I swear he lays it on thick to try and fit the image the press have made for him.
    Gor Blimey newbie thass ahrt ov order
  • Options

I know I will get shot down in flames for this but I honestly believe it. I am football fan and I put country above club. I really feel as we have missed a massive oppotuinty with regard to the running of the England team.

The ideal management team for England would be a combination of Kevin Keegan and Glenn Hoddle. Keegan for his passion and man mangement and Hoddle for his unquestionable tactical brain.

Let Hoddle set the team up and coach them while Kev is there to put his arm round those who need it and to stop Hoddle from belittleing players who don't have his natural ability and to keep him from uttering any wierd ideas about faith healing etc.

Add to that Stuart Pearce to act as a sargent major type to whip them into shape and warm up before Hodd works on the finner things. Then Physco can also be at the door of the changing room breathing fire into the players as they go onto the pitch.

So Keegan doesn't have to worry about tactics.

Hoddle doesn't have to worry about saying the wrong thing to the press.

Pearce doesn't have to worry about appearing as a mild mannered man in his England blazer in front of the world media.

In fact let Sir Trev do all the media work and I think we have it sorted

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 games for violent conduct in a 38 game league season, fine. 3 games in a 6 game tournament, massively over the top 

But it's not the first time he's kicked out petulantly at a player in a UEFA tournament.

Correct punishment in my opinion. I'd take him though, just to make him train and work hard as a punishment.

I don't see how that is punishment. He'll be with his mates, in the warm comfy arms of his England status and feeling relieved that he's got away with it all. Whilst jogging not breaking sweat and laughing with team mates in his 3 lions training gear getting a tan.
  • Options

I don't see how that is punishment. He'll be with his mates, in the warm comfy arms of his England status and feeling relieved that he's got away with it all. Whilst jogging not breaking sweat and laughing with team mates in his 3 lions training gear getting a tan.

Question is what would he rather do...clock off after Man U's last match in late May and not re-surface until pre-season training starts in July, or train hard and go to a tournament he might never kick a football in, let alone kick an opponent? I'm guessing given the choice he'd prefer to give the whole thing the swerve and spend his time with Colleen and his sprog. For that reason I'd take him.
  • Options

You're right BFR - It will also be a reminder to him that there is nothing he can do to erase the memory of his woeful efforts at the last tournament and will have to live with that for another couple of years at least. The frustration of it all will see him boil over again and his hair transplant will start to thin out due to the stress. I guess it's a bit cruel hoping for all that really but so be it.  

• Options

Rooney appears to have no pride whatsoever in his country. His woeful performances and slovenly demeanour in South Africa showed that.

Pick someone who actually wants to be there and give their all for their country.

• Options

Rooney appears to have no pride whatsoever in his country. His woeful performances and slovenly demeanour in South Africa showed that.

Pick someone who actually wants to be there and give their all for their country.

A good idea but that would just about get us enough players for a Five-a-Side tournament.
  • Options

If you want England to do well, you take him, the reason why ? Quite simple he is the only world class player we have got end of.

You can all take the moral high ground and say leave him at home blah blah blah, but if you leave him at home we haven't got a single match winner left. Sad I know but true. 

• Options
    I don't see him as a match winner - he's a good cog when in a good team (like man utd) but doesn't have the pace or finishing ability to win games on his own and thats part of why he gets so frustrated playing for England. He used to go past people but he can't do that now which also adds to his frustration.
  • Options
    Hope Cappelo doesn't take him even though he probably will. I personally think its great he's been banned as he doesn't care about playing for England at all and it gives Bent a chance. There is no point in taking him as well because if we do get through the group stage our team would've settled and why in such a short tournament would change the starting 11 just for one player? He's a disgrace to his country and doesn't deserve to play for England because of the lack of effort he puts in.     
  • Options

The ideal management team for England would be a combination of Kevin Keegan and Glenn Hoddle. Keegan for his passion and man mangement and Hoddle for his unquestionable tactical brain.

How has this hilarity gone un-commented on?
  • Options

How has this hilarity gone un-commented on?
    Because it is/he is a wind up