Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney Gets 3 Game Euro Ban

Comments

• Options
    Best player in the country so you have to take him, not that it matters when we get knocked out on penalties in the QF's after a dubious disallowed goal for us costs us.
  • Options
    3 games for violent conduct in a 38 game league season, fine. 3 games in a 6 game tournament, massively over the top 
    Using this logic a one match ban should therefore be reduced to about 20 minutes, totally pointless. 

Everyone knows the rules, everyone knows the consequences, but just because it's England and Rooney they should be relaxed?
  • Options
    It was a not even a red card

Ha ha, brilliant. Thats cracked me up. Nice one mate
  • Options
    I don't see it as a 6 game tournament to be honest.  I see it as a 16 match run of games (including qualifiers) - if this had happened in the second match of the qualifiers and he was banned for 3 games then people wouldn't have batted an eyelid regarding the length of the ban.

Unfortunate when it happened, and stupid because it happened.
  • Options
    It might hurt him more if he gets taken, but when available doesn't feature. He needs to realise that you can't go about kicking people on a football pitch nowadays. 
    4-3-3, Gerrard back in the team. 
    Parker, Wilshere, Gerrard.
    Young, Bent, Walcott/downing/lennon.
  • Options
    I don't see it as a 6 game tournament to be honest.  I see it as a 16 match run of games (including qualifiers) - if this had happened in the second match of the qualifiers and he was banned for 3 games then people wouldn't have batted an eyelid regarding the length of the ban.

Unfortunate when it happened, and stupid because it happened.
    It's not really, UEFA will reset people's yellow card counts at the start of the knock outs, not really a fair 16 game tournament. 

3 out of 16, still excessive, 2 of 16 is fair
  • Options
    "we would have won it if Rooney wasn't banned"

Can be added to the long list of excuses for England failures down the years.

"UEFA hate us"   No, Rooney got a ban which no doubt will be appealed if possible anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

"UEFA hate us"   
    This is true though, Henners, although I don't think it had any bearing on the decision.
  • Options
    I don't think we have much hope of winning it with Rooney but without him we have absolutely no chance. We have to take him.
  • Options

"UEFA hate us"   
    This is true though, Henners, although I don't think it had any bearing on the decision.

Don't think they do at all.  English press likes to play this card everytime we don't get our way but there's no real evidence.  Other countries get fines and bans so even the "they would ban our fans if an English club did that" line that is trotted out after any crowd disorder doesn't hold any weight.

Remember English clubs were only finally banned after people died.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wayne Rooney in the squad or an 8th choice defender/midfielder. It's a no brainer. Take him.
  • Options
    If we get through the group state with say Bent and Defoe up front do you then drop one of them to let Rooney play?
  • Options
    I'd totally agree Sach if it wasn't for violent conduct.  For an offence such as that I don't think you can adjust the length of the ban dependant on the length of the competition - sends out the wrong message.

Personally, I think it is excessive on the face of it but I understand the stance that UEFA are taking.
  • Options
    I don't think we have much hope of winning it with Rooney but without him we have absolutely no chance. We have to take him.
    Even with Rooney we have no hope of winning it. As England fans we have to realise that we have not produced a decent team for quite a considerable period and that we are a second rate nation but still every tournament rolls around and there are still those that thing we have a chance. We are so far behind the majority of the top footballing nations at the moment it is scary.

There are some good young players coming through, I think Capello recognises that and is trying to get them involved however the press and the majority of fans will not give him the time to experiment with them. The usual drill will happen, Euros come around we struggle through the group, out in the next round, Capello is off, the FA replaces him with an English manager who simply isn't good enough, couple more years of struggling, he is replaced and we start the cycle over again. Exciting times ahead!
  • Options
    The fact is it doesn't matter how good a form he's in in the the league, he has yet to score in a major finals. Frankly that's pathetic, and the fact that before some of these finals he's been in great form for Man Utd makes it even worse. There are no excuses he can possibly make for his poor form in major tournaments, he just doesn't have the right temperament for a month away at a world cup or euros.

So if he is selected, it's basically in the vain hope that this time will be different, that despite all the evidence to the contrary he's grown up and changed.

Would be interesting to see his scoring stats against top international sides, is he the football equivalent of a flat track bully? A jibe often aimed at Crouch, who's scoring stats for England are far more impressive, but who's place is far less certain.
  • Options
    Fergie must be pissing himself
  • Options
    The fact is it doesn't matter how good a form he's in in the the league, he has yet to score in a major finals. Frankly that's pathetic, and the fact that before some of these finals he's been in great form for Man Utd makes it even worse. There are no excuses he can possibly make for his poor form in major tournaments, he just doesn't have the right temperament for a month away at a world cup or euros.
    Euro 2004 must have been a dream then
  • Options
    Reading over the internet there are so many England fans saying UEFA have done it to ruin England's chances... WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH... Rooney screwed this one up.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Another reason for my abandonment of the English football team justified.
    Overpaid dipsh*ts!

They're shyte.And have been for forty odd years.
  • Options

If we get through the group state with say Bent and Defoe up front do you then drop one of them to let Rooney play?

No..of course not:)...He could be the impact player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It sounds like he jumped, two footed, studs first, over the ball and snapped an opponent in two. Or was it just me that saw a petulant kick at an opponents calf?

One match was enough, two if previous taken into account. If Ivan Nonamevic of Srbia had done it, one match would have been the outcome for sure.

• Options
    So by your reckoning if a player received 2 bookings for just a couple of late challenges, not nasty just miss timed should receive the same ban as Rooney who intentionally kicked a player? Sorry but I don't buy that, even if you say he deserved 2, well Arshavin was red carded for a similar incident in the final match of qualifying match before Euro 2008, he got 2 matches. 

I think once a precedence has been set for 2 matches and then you take into consideration his past offence for a similar thing then 3 matches is deserved. 
  • Options
    Rooney is a ticking timebomb, if it hadn't happened now it would probably have happened in the euros, with or without him we are going to be embarassed again, we haven't got enough quality in depth, if Joe Hart got injured who have we got? Spain have at least 3 top keepers of equal if not better than Hart.
  • Options
    You can say it's a blow and we will miss him but I really couldn't give a s**t ...it also gives bent more chance of playing
  • Options
    I'm doing a cliche count on this thread
  • Options
    I'm doing a cliche count on this thread
    It will all end in tears! :-0
  • Options

Take him. If we manage to scrape through the group hell be fresh and up for it for the knockout rounds. 

He petutlantly kicked out at a player bit like Beckham did at his age. 

But Beckham learnt from his mistake, how many more times are we supposed to forgive Rooney for lashing out at someone, and before someone says "oh but its part of his game you can't take that away" well I'm fairly sure a strikers job isn't to go round kicking and elbowing opponents. The bloke is a tit, yes he is talented but how many more times do we have to put up with him being a liability to the England team?

Until Rooney was sent off Beckham was the only England player to have been sent off twice for England.

UEFA have charged Rooney with "Assaulting" another player which carries a mandatory 3 game ban. If the FA appeal they run the risk of the ban being extended to 4 games.

I say leave him behind.

• Options
    If the team are good enough to get to the next round then they should be allowed to compete in it so he should be left at home.  Capello is leaving after the Euros so he has nothing to lose by showing footballers that players actions have consequences and leave him at home.
  • Options
    stick him on the bench if we (some how) make it to the quarter finals all the while looking very good. Could be a super sub
  • Options
    I wouldn't take him.  As a player he's too selfish and has been allowed to get away with too much at the expense of the team.  Very interesting stat from Colthe3rd.  Rooney is the main reason DB struggled to get into the team for so long, because Rooney never linked up with him.  DB got the blame for not making an impact, when in fact he never got a fair chance too. 

Let him fester in some Manc brothel whilst those that are more interested in football than their own super massive egos get on with the job of representing England.