Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith Signs

12346»

Comments

• Options
    jackj123 said:

Was suprised he didnt feature in many of the pre-season games, being an un-used sub mostly. Does Powell see him as a player with a future at the club?

Unless we are about to sign several strikers it's hard to draw any other conclusion.

We have one senior striker at the club - and he's really more of a goal provider than out and out goal scorer and we let the next best striker go on a sixth month loan.

Presumably CP doesn't rate him and thinks that we are somehow worse off with him in the squad. It's also his last year with the club as well - so if he's going to get more experience what impression will he have of Charlton when he gets back? A couple of games here and there and mostly he's been parked in the reserves.

The only thing i can think of was that it was made clear to CP that Smith had to go to free up some wages ahead of a signing. But who? Church apparently is semi-fit, as is Fuller, and any other player coming in might also be less than 100% fit.

• Options

jackj123 said:

Does Powell see him as a player with a future at the club?

Doesn't look like it. Suspect this means Smith has no future at the Club. Great shame.

It also highlights the difficulty of deciding on contract length. Smith was signed on a three year deal which I assume the Club now regrets.

Hope AFC are making a contribution to his wages, but even if they are Smith will no doubt represent a drain on the Club's cash flow until he leaves, inevitably, next summer.

I can't imagine his wages are very high, as a young player signed from a conference club
  • Options
    For sure, but unfortunately it looks like dead money and it would appear that that's a luxury the Club can't afford. As I said, it's a shame.
  • Options
    I have to say I wish we were a bit more decisive about these things. If the man has no future with us, why not just look to move him on now, albeit for little or no payment. Cos after the BWP saga last season, it sounds like he'll just see out his last season with us playing football for someone else and with us paying part of his wages.
  • Options

I have to say I wish we were a bit more decisive about these things. If the man has no future with us, why not just look to move him on now, albeit for little or no payment. Cos after the BWP saga last season, it sounds like he'll just see out his last season with us playing football for someone else and with us paying part of his wages.

Maybe we have been trying and no one wants him??