Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith Signs

Comments

• Options
    JT, nice of you to pop by. If he was that poor though why have so many Championship and even PL Stoke been shifting around him. Must have something about him. Darren Bent was shit when he left Ipswich so forgive me if I take your comments as sour grapes.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    http://www.darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13442

From a few comments it eems he's a decent prospect but was still some way from even being a regular for Darlington.
  • Options
    JT, nice of you to pop by. If he was that poor though why have so many Championship and even PL Stoke been shifting around him. Must have something about him. Darren Bent was shit when he left Ipswich so forgive me if I take your comments as sour grapes.

What?!

I've just got that from a Darlo fan, should have mentioned that. 
  • Options
    Darlington fans on their forum dont seem to think much of him.
    Just like our fans didn't seen to think much of Racon and Semedo when they left. 
    I didn't think much of them when they were here let alone when they left
    agreed .. how long since we had a 'Smiffy' playing for us
  • Options
    ''He's not a bad player, decent at holding up the ball, good touch for a big man bla bla bla. Still very, VERY raw though and will need some development before he gets anywhere near your first team. Especially on his finishing which can be awful at times.

He was OUR fifth choice striker at best - we weren't just keeping him out of the team in case we sold him!

Good luck to him though, I hope he eventually turns out good for you''
    you managed to beat the mighty Grimsby without him, so you must have a decent team up there .. are you still in that spanking new(ish) stadium that safecracker george built ?
  • Options
    who is this JT?...darlo fans get everywhere
  • Options
    lol

• Options
    JT's 6,000 odd comments on this forum, let alone the Countdown thread obviously go unnoticed by a couple of people...
  • Options

The clue to his loyaltys is in his avatar.
  • Options
    Sorry he's just not tall enough 

Sorry he's too tall for my liking , will be good for cleaning the big screen though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I obviously don't say anything of worth. Which to be honest, is fairly accurate. 

I would update the countdown thread if i could bloody post pictures !
  • Options
    Is JT a Quaker ?

• Options
    JT's 6,000 odd comments on this forum, let alone the Countdown thread obviously go unnoticed by a couple of people...
    They havent ALL been odd WSS
  • Options
    lol made me proper chuckle (brother)
  • Options
    He's on Twitter: @smithygtid, so it JT: @Darlo_JT
  • Options
    Sorry JT I just read it and thought it was a visiting Darlo fan, didn't really look at the user name. If I had realised it was you .......
  • Options
    Is JT a Quaker ?

No, a Morman I think
  • Options
    Michael Msith according to the man on Sky Sports
  • Options
    Michael M sith according to the man on Sky Sports
    Sith eh?
    Always in pairs they come. No more, no less.
    But who is the other? ;-)
  • Options
    Michael M sith according to the man on Sky Sports
    Sith eh?
    Always in pairs they come. No more, no less.

But who is the other? ;-)

The force is strong in this one.

;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    They just changed his name to Mith now
  • Options
    I noticed that. They got everyone else's names right, then they get to Smith, I mean SMITH, and they eff it up. 
    Go blow one Sky. 
  • Options
    It could be worse, it could be meth
  • Options
    Yippee !! Just got it right on the latest round up. SMITH how hard can it be
  • Options
    They can't change his name to mith, sounds the same as myth which is the name given to Alonso.
  • Options
    Off topic but at the weekend after interviewing Steve maclaren with Steve maclaren under him they interviwed Sam Allardyce with "who Sam Allardyce " under him! Made me laugh anyway!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Got a reply from the Darlington FM researcher today. Clearly we've not signed their star player, but as Powell said he's one for the future.

It is an interesting one this. From a Darlington fan perspective this is a great bit of business for us for our 4th or 5th choice forward. We assume this is £100k (as we did turn down an offer for £80k from Bristol previously), although no idea if that is all upfront.

He played 20+ games last season (although lots from the bench), mainly through injuries to more senior players. He only managed 6 goals and to be honest didn't look like scoring many more.

He is tall, he is skillful and he does get into the right positions. He just doesn't seem to score!

From our view it was all a bit random that all these teams were watching him and taking him on trial, so I can only assume that they have seen the raw potential and feel they can turn him into the finished article.

He is only 19, but we have brought in another 19 year old to replace him that to us appears to be a better goalscorer, which is what we need.

Really wish him (and you) the best of luck, hoping he turns out to be the real deal and we get a % when you sell him on!!
  • Options
    I must be getting a touch sentimental but have to say The Darlington fans who have made comments on here seem a good bunch of people. Even if they're pointing out that he's not their star player there's none of the nastiness you normally get from footie fans. Well done lads good luck for the season. 
  • Options

He is tall, he is skillful and he does get into the right positions. He just doesn't seem to score!

To me, these sound the credentials of a potentially very good striker.  At 19, the talent of getting into the right positions is the one you want to see.  With maturity, coaching, and sports psychology support the scoring should eventually follow. 

I remember how Mike Flanagan couldn't hit a barn door from 6 yards at first, but he was always putting himself in the right places for the chances to fall to him, and eventually the goals came.
  • Options
    Sounds like our white version of Carl Leaburn.