Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    If anyone hears of any plays that aren't woke ~ principally plays that shoehorn into the narrative/casting certain aspects that the author/scriptwriter/playwright) clearly wasn't saying ) Then would be interested. As an example ...Saw "White fang" at the theatre  with my children ~ it was a lesbian snogfest. I would like to have been warned that it had been given a wokeover from the original text. 
    I’d stick to listening to the fairy tales they tell at church if I were you.

Anything remotely related to a modern, inclusive, progressive society will just give you the hump.
    Reading between the lines then ...you are saying ... there are currently no plays of any merit...Do let me know when there are... 
  • Options
    If anyone hears of any plays that aren't woke ~ principally plays that shoehorn into the narrative/casting certain aspects that the author/scriptwriter/playwright) clearly wasn't saying ) Then would be interested. As an example ...Saw "White fang" at the theatre  with my children ~ it was a lesbian snogfest. I would like to have been warned that it had been given a wokeover from the original text. 

Anything remotely related to a modern, inclusive, progressive society will just give you the hump.
    Reading between the lines then ...you are saying ... there are currently no plays of any merit...Do let me know when there are... 
    Why would any of us want to give the heads up to a WUM like you?  
  • Options
    The Seagull. Regrettable. A speaking play- I.e. lots of talking and you had to listen, which is probably what theatre has been mostly about historically!? No set to speak of. Bored before the interval.

I am sorry you were so bored.
    Chekhov does require a bit of engagement.
    The Seagull was his first full length play, personally I think it is very good, but still clung on to it’s melodramatic influences more than the final masterpiece of the Cherry Orchard.
    It may well be worth considering that Chekhov is a fantastic journey for cast and director when working up a performance, and appreciating what has happened for the final audience is not guaranteed.
    One other thing to consider is that Chekhov in his era was trying to move from melodrama to a kind of realism.
    In terms of production what you report sounds like an opportunity wasted, it is down to the cast and director to stop you being bored. Although the first part of the Seagull is, to some extent, a kind of discussion as to the nature of Theatre and acting itself.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Saw Much Ado About Nothing at Shakespeare's Globe the other night. Really funny. Great comedic actors putting on strong performances, hilarious interactions with the crowd and the 1940's Italy setting worked really well. 
  • Options

Not a wind up merchant at all. I'm genuinely interested (with children and families in mind) to find art and entertainment that is woke-free and Christian family friendly. I think Chesterton was right when he said that "...the most radical people in the world are one normal man and his normal wife and their two normal children". How are it is to find such people in this age. 

The National actually had an article in the standard 5-6 years ago appealing to conservative minded playrights to rebalance the output of what is 100% leftist propaganda in the arts. Isn't there that line "woke will make you broke". We are seeing the whole house of cards falling ~ Hollywood, Disney, BBC, theatre, TV. Have all chosen this trajectory and they are all finished. 
  • Options
    *rare
  • Options
    Fascism right there.
    Regression to a by-gone age dressed up as cultural critique.
  • Options
    If anybody here knows what ‘normal’ is I suggest they write a play about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Not a wind up merchant at all. I'm genuinely interested (with children and families in mind) to find art and entertainment that is woke-free and Christian family friendly. I think Chesterton was right when he said that "...the most radical people in the world are one normal man and his normal wife and their two normal children". How are it is to find such people in this age. 

The National actually had an article in the standard 5-6 years ago appealing to conservative minded playrights to rebalance the output of what is 100% leftist propaganda in the arts. Isn't there that line "woke will make you broke". We are seeing the whole house of cards falling ~ Hollywood, Disney, BBC, theatre, TV. Have all chosen this trajectory and they are all finished. 
    You are probably one of the least christian minded people on the forum. No there isn't a line "woke will make you broke", you just made that up, or were told it by one of your facistic "christian" preachers. 

So I prefer to think of you as a WUM, rather than the hate filled, spiteful, regressive, anti-christian you pretend to be. I don't think there is a proper christian in the world who would recognise your character as representing their god. 

I will no longer feed the troll.     
  • Options
    Theatre is frequently supposed to be challenging and controversial.
    I knew that eleven years ago when I started this humble thread.
    It is not unexpected.
    However it is supposed to be a thread directly related to Theatrical experience, most especially live events. I reckon it is fine to discuss the challenging nature of content experienced, but to introduce unsubstantiated generalisation on this thread does not suit it’s purpose.
    To describe and dismiss for example the work of Samuel Beckett as leftist propaganda, or part of some kind of non defined ‘woke’ agenda, would be the action of a stupid person unprepared to think their way out of their crass stupidity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seen quite a few recently.

Mad House - excellent.
    Bad Jews - very good, very funny
    Southbury Child - really enjoyed it
    Closer - was good, but spoilt by the temp in the Hammersmith Lyric being that of the surface of the sun
    Bill Bailey at the Royal Opera House. Excellent as ever.

Was planning on seeing 2.22 this week, but with the cast change announcement there has been a rush on tickets and only top prices left. Will wait a couple of weeks now.
  • Options
    Saw Only Fools & Horses last week and really enjoyed it. Thought the actors portraying Del, Rodney and Boycie in particular were very very good. Hadn’t realised it was so comedic musical based either, some great vocal talent on show. 

Seeing Life of Pi on Weds celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and very much looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Saw My Fair Lady last week, two halts for technical issues and one change of actor at the interval - Stephen K Amos. Not my favourite show but it was ok
  • Options

Is he a wind up merchant or just a parent concerned about whether what his children are seeing at the theatre is suitable for them?
  • Options
    Just over 2 weeks until we see "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the Gielgud for our 52nd Anniversary ( who's counting ?) and note that Richard Coyle has stepped into Rafe Spall's shoes to play Atticus Finch. 

Looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    Fascism right there.
    How pathetic. Pray we never find ourselves on the receiving end of Fascism. Not a word to bandy around lightly. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Is he a wind up merchant or just a parent concerned about whether what his children are seeing at the theatre is suitable for them?
    I am very much a parent concerned about what my children are watching. Apologies for veering off-topic (theatre) but I wonder how many of those calling me a "wind up merchant" are the same people applauding demonic drag queens "entertaining" young children in Bexley schools recently? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It is not unexpected.
    However it is supposed to be a thread directly related to Theatrical experience, most especially live events. I reckon it is fine to discuss the challenging nature of content experienced, but to introduce unsubstantiated generalisation on this thread does not suit it’s purpose.
    To describe and dismiss for example the work of Samuel Beckett as leftist propaganda, or part of some kind of non defined ‘woke’ agenda, would be the action of a stupid person unprepared to think their way out of their crass stupidity.

I am very much FOR theatre that is challenging. That really is the point. It has become bland and tickbox. Nothing I have shared is unsubstantiated. I certainly didn't dismiss the entire ouevre of Samuel Beckett as propaganda. 

As for woke being "non-defined". We KNOW when a piece of "art" be it a play, a film etc has had the woke makeover. You may dismiss this but certainly most people I know ~ whatever their political persuasion will concede this much. 

If that makes someone "...a stupid person unprepared to think their way out of their crass stupidity"  I can only assume this is projection ~ of the most desperate and transparent  kind. 

It's really good to see a theatre thread among footie fans. So am really grateful to read the recommendations that others have chipped in with here. 
    My mere concern remains however ~ if there is a play on ~ I want to see THAT play not a reinterpretation of it with progressive woke politics ~ that's all. You are free to watch and pay for this stuff if that's what you want You and your children watching. I don't. That is all. So if they could have a "woke-free" certification on the film/play etc ~ that would make life a lot easier. And I have no doubt at all, that if there was such a certification ~ those plays and films and books would sell out every time!! 
  • Options

You are probably one of the least christian minded people on the forum. No there isn't a line "woke will make you broke", you just made that up, or were told it by one of your facistic "christian" preachers. 

So I prefer to think of you as a WUM, rather than the hate filled, spiteful, regressive, anti-christian you pretend to be. I don't think there is a proper christian in the world who would recognise your character as representing their god. 

I will no longer feed the troll.     

1. You are free to say that I am the "....least Christian minded person on this forum".  Such assertions are always troubling because, I am assuming, you are not using God's standard to arrive at this assertion  but your own set of prejudices of who IS and ISNT a Christian minded person (whatever THAT means?)

2. I didn't make up that slogan. It's actually e v e r y w h e r e!! 

3. As stated earlier, pray that we never encounter ACTUAL Fascists. You bandy this very serious term around so much it has no meaning anymore. Fascists kill people. LOTS of them. I could go further in talking about how opposed I am to ANY taking of life but I will leave it there. There is a Commandment that makes this very clear. 

4. "Hate-filled, regressive, spiteful, anti-Christian you pretend to be??!!" Why on earth would any Christian pretend to be that shopping list of negative digs? !!

5. Please share with the forum who this elusive "proper Christian" is to which you refer. I'd love to hear their take on what is good in theatre in 2022. I doubt it would differ that much with my own. 
  • Options
    An adaptation of Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden was made into a musical a few years ago and in the West End. The songs were absolutely brilliant but were never recorded. Did anyone see/hear this? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mad House - excellent.
    Closer - was good, but spoilt by the temp in the Hammersmith Lyric being that of the surface of the sun

Was planning on seeing 2.22 this week, but with the cast change announcement there has been a rush on tickets and only top prices left. Will wait a couple of weeks now.

Mad House - excellent.

Seconded. Both very good.  
  • Options
    Have coming up

Eureka Day
    the play that goes wrong
    John Gabriel Borkman
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It is not unexpected.

I am very much FOR theatre that is challenging. That really is the point. It has become bland and tickbox. Nothing I have shared is unsubstantiated. I certainly didn't dismiss the entire ouevre of Samuel Beckett as propaganda. 

As for woke being "non-defined". We KNOW when a piece of "art" be it a play, a film etc has had the woke makeover. You may dismiss this but certainly most people I know ~ whatever their political persuasion will concede this much. 

If that makes someone "...a stupid person unprepared to think their way out of their crass stupidity"  I can only assume this is projection ~ of the most desperate and transparent  kind. 

It's really good to see a theatre thread among footie fans. So am really grateful to read the recommendations that others have chipped in with here. 
    My mere concern remains however ~ if there is a play on ~ I want to see THAT play not a reinterpretation of it with progressive woke politics ~ that's all. You are free to watch and pay for this stuff if that's what you want You and your children watching. I don't. That is all. So if they could have a "woke-free" certification on the film/play etc ~ that would make life a lot easier. And I have no doubt at all, that if there was such a certification ~ those plays and films and books would sell out every time!! 
    So you call my comment about crass stupidity is projection, yet you (and most people you know no less) ‘know’ if a piece of art has a ‘woke makeover’.
    There is an example of ‘projection’ right there. You and the people you know project onto something an opinion that it has had a ‘woke’ makeover.
    An opinion.
    Seeing as how woke simply means anti racist, I assume you object to something like the actors for Hamlet and Gertrude being of a different race.
    Objecting to something like that is crass stupidity.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I am very much a parent concerned about what my children are watching. Apologies for veering off-topic (theatre) but I wonder how many of those calling me a "wind up merchant" are the same people applauding demonic drag queens "entertaining" young children in Bexley schools recently? 
    Demonic, lol! My wife had to deal with a couple of freaks like you at her school during pride week. One of them asked her if they were teaching her daughter to become a lesbian.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Fascism right there.
    How pathetic. Pray we never find ourselves on the receiving end of Fascism. Not a word to bandy around lightly. 
    You should check yourself before warning others. You want to stay in a dark box and expect everyone to do the same. You have  fascist leanings.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Demonic, lol! My wife had to deal with a couple of freaks like you at her school during pride week. One of them asked her if they were teaching her daughter to become a lesbian.
    1984 is clearly here!!. "They will call good ~ bad and bad ~ good".  

Aka - they will call normal - freaks and freaks - normal. 

If you want drag queens entertaining the children in your school  then do allow "freaks" (aka normal people) to choose otherwise. 
  • Options
    Fascism right there.
    You should check yourself before warning others. You want to stay in a dark box and expect everyone to do the same. You have  fascist leanings.
    Quite the opposite. I want to walk in the light. Not warning you at all.  You are free to choose what your children watch are taught listen to etc. I expect the same right. 

I have commonsense leanings not fascist leanings. As things get sillier and sillier, the sillies just keep moving the goal posts of what they deem "fascist". Once upon a time you were called fascist ... If you were a fascist! Now a n y o n e is a fascist who simply doesn't agree with the sillies. I've remained consistent. In this chaotic world it is consistent that society needs not progressive sillies constantly moving goalposts and asserting that everyone is a fascist. 

I'd be interested to return to the original thread of what theatre productions are current that are suitable for children.  (Drag queens are NOT suitable for children) 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

1984 is clearly here!!. "They will call good ~ bad and bad ~ good".  

Aka - they will call normal - freaks and freaks - normal. 

If you want drag queens entertaining the children in your school  then do allow "freaks" (aka normal people) to choose otherwise. 
    Can't remember too many drag queens being convicted of offences against children. Priests on the other hand...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    It is not unexpected.

So you call my comment about crass stupidity is projection, yet you (and most people you know no less) ‘know’ if a piece of art has a ‘woke makeover’.
    There is an example of ‘projection’ right there. You and the people you know project onto something an opinion that it has had a ‘woke’ makeover.
    An opinion.
    Seeing as how woke simply means anti racist, I assume you object to something like the actors for Hamlet and Gertrude being of a different race.
    Objecting to something like that is crass stupidity.
    I and many others wouldn't say woke 
    "... simply means anti-racist". That's absurd. 
    This infers that woke is some sort of virtue. Yet antifa ~ woke par excellence ~ haven't a virtuous bone in their body. They physically attack and kill people who do not share their diabolical views. But are "woke". 
    It's also not about other races because it is white progressive liberals doing the whole woke makeover thing. 

It is precisely because woke is all pervasive, disingenuous, fake, virtue-signalling garbage that so many people, quite naturally , don't want to pay good money at the theatre to be subjected to the same marxist nonsense their local councils, govt, institutions force on them 24/7.  I fully understand that some people who are pushing the wokery WANT this in every area of their lives. That's okay. They should be given that choice. I'm just asking for entertainment that is free of this. Allowing people the choice for theatre free of this that is all.