Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Saw The Windsor's in the week. Never seen the TV show so wasn't expecting much. Was actually really funny Harry Enfield as Prince Charles and Tracy Anne Oberman as Camilla were hilarious.
    Booked it for our anniversary in a few weeks time.
    It had better be funny  :D
  • A live recording of Come From Away on Broadway has been added to Apple TV this weekend.
    Fascinating story on a subject (9/11) that we all know so much about.
    A real spotlight on human kindness.
  • Saw Ocean at the end of lane last night. Adaption of the Neil Gaiman novel. Absolutely amazing production. Would heartily recommend it. The Today Tix app is doing daily £25 rush tickets all this week.
  • Saw Ocean at the end of lane last night. Adaption of the Neil Gaiman novel. Absolutely amazing production. Would heartily recommend it. The Today Tix app is doing daily £25 rush tickets all this week.
    Booked for January - looking forward to it
  • Saw ‘Pride and Prejudice (sort of) at the Criterion Theatre on Sunday. A really fun musical comedy from 5 young Glaswegian ladies, replete with plenty of 70s and 80s songs.
  • Saw P & P a couple of weeks ago, an excellent evening.
  • I went to see The Play that Goes Wrong last week. It’s a hoot!
  • Caught Back to the Future at the Adelphi earlier.

Great fun. We all loved it and would recommend.
  • Finally got round to seeing Only Fools and Horses last night. Superb show, really enjoyed it.

At the other end of the spectrum, we're off to Stratford upon Avon for a few days this week and have booked to see Macbeth at a local theatre.
  • A live recording of Come From Away on Broadway has been added to Apple TV this weekend.
    Fascinating story on a subject (9/11) that we all know so much about.
    A real spotlight on human kindness.
    Saw it in the West End a couple of weeks ago. It was brilliant. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Finally managed to get a ticket to see Jezz Butterworth's Jeruselum for this evening.

Mark Rylance is amazing as Rooster Byron and MacKenzie Crook equally good as his friend Ginger.

Was as good as I hoped it would be. Very long though. Started at 7.30 and finished at 10.55. 3 acts. It starts very funny, becomes touching and engaging and ends up with a real feeling of threat and menace.

Officially the run is sold out, but a handful of tickets are released every Monday at 10am, missed out on these for the last 3 weeks but finally got one yesterday.

Highly recommend this if you can get hold of a ticket.
  • Going to see Prima Facia, with Jodie Comer at the Harold Pinter theatre in a couple of weeks, I’m so cultured these days 😜😎
  • Finally managed to get a ticket to see Jezz Butterworth's Jeruselum for this evening.

Mark Rylance is amazing as Rooster Byron and MacKenzie Crook equally good as his friend Ginger.

Was as good as I hoped it would be. Very long though. Started at 7.30 and finished at 10.55. 3 acts. It starts very funny, becomes touching and engaging and ends up with a real feeling of threat and menace.

Officially the run is sold out, but a handful of tickets are released every Monday at 10am, missed out on these for the last 3 weeks but finally got one yesterday.

Highly recommend this if you can get hold of a ticket.
    I agree. We saw 'Jerusalem' last week, having missed out in 2009. What a performance by Mark Rylance - he bears the emotional weight of the play and must be fit as a butcher's dog to perform like that every night. An absolute master of his craft and undoubtedly the greatest of his generation.
  • Saw To Kill A Mockingbird at the Gielgud theatre on Friday with Rafe Spall, best thing I’ve seen in years, some great performances
  • DA9 said:
    Saw To Kill A Mockingbird at the Gielgud theatre on Friday with Rafe Spall, best thing I’ve seen in years, some great performances
    Nice one mate, we’re looking to do something for our 20th anniversary next month and might think about this. If it’s anywhere near as good as the book, should be worth seeing.
  • DA9DA9
    edited July 2022
    DA9 said:
    Saw To Kill A Mockingbird at the Gielgud theatre on Friday with Rafe Spall, best thing I’ve seen in years, some great performances
    Nice one mate, we’re looking to do something for our 20th anniversary next month and might think about this. If it’s anywhere near as good as the book, should be worth seeing.
     My other half reads the book every 2-3 years as she is such a devotee, she said they had played with it slightly, but she said afterwards that it’s probably the best thing she’s seen, it was adapted by Aaron Sorkin, who she worships basically.
    The set was incredible, some very powerful performances, especially from Spall and Pamela Nomvete as Calpurnia 

Try and get in before 13/8 as Rafe Spall ends his run then. 
  • DA9 said:
    There’s no shagging in it mate. 
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
     My other half reads the book every 2-3 years as she is such a devotee, she said they had played with it slightly, but she said afterwards that it’s probably the best thing she’s seen, it was adapted by Aaron Sorkin, who she worships basically.
    The set was incredible, some very powerful performances, especially from Spall and Pamela Nomvete as Calpurnia 

Try and get in before 13/8 as Rafe Spall ends his run then. 
    B*GGER ! 

We have tickets for September 7th !!! 
  • Mad House at The Ambassadors theatre. 

The Southbury Child at The Bridge theatre. 

Both very watchable. 

If you haven’t yet tried The Bridge theatre as an ‘off west end’ location I thoroughly recommend it. Can’t imagine as a new venue any seat would be a poor view. 
  • Just booked 2:22 A Ghost Story at the Criterion, weekend before Xmas, something traditional about a good ghost story at Christmas time
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to the Royal Opera House tonight...

... going to see Bill Bailey.

Does that count? 
  • Off to the Royal Opera House tonight...

... going to see Bill Bailey.

Does that count? 
    Love Bill Bailey, not jealous….. much 
  • Mad House at The Ambassadors theatre. 

The Southbury Child at The Bridge theatre. 

Both very watchable. 

If you haven’t yet tried The Bridge theatre as an ‘off west end’ location I thoroughly recommend it. Can’t imagine as a new venue any seat would be a poor view. 
    I would imagine stranger things fans are all over the mad house bookings 
  • Not sure how to categorize it but my wife and I went to Abba Voyage recently. If you like Abba you really need to go but considering they are not performing, it isn't cheap.
  • We’ve got tickets for Back to The Future on Thursday 
  • DA9 said:
    Just booked 2:22 A Ghost Story at the Criterion, weekend before Xmas, something traditional about a good ghost story at Christmas time
    It’s a great play 
  • Did back to the future a couple of moths back, really enjoyed it. Interesting couple of script changes for a 40-yr old film. Saw the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe a couple of weeks back. 
    Pretty good too but the trouble with musicals that weren’t written as musicals is usually that the songs aren’t great and that goes for both of these unfortunately….needed whoever wrote the songs for Matilda to help them out….
  • The Seagull. Regrettable. A speaking play- I.e. lots of talking and you had to listen, which is probably what theatre has been mostly about historically!? No set to speak of. Bored before the interval.