Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    The brochure for Regent's Park has arrived on our doormat this morning & I'm considering  A Midsummer Night's Dream , staged from 28th June-27 July or Evita , 2nd August-21st Sept. 

We've taken various grandkids there to see Peter Pan &  Pericles- both very good. 
    Evita there a must Fanny. I love that venue; not many better if the weather is good.

Saw Jesus Christ Superstar there a couple of years back. Excellent production. 
  • Options
    Just sorted tickets for Joseph, at the Palladium, in August. One of my favourite musicals (along with Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita and Les Mis) and am really looking forward to seeing Sheridan Smith in the narrator's role. £100 a go for third best priced tickets mind you! 

I got tickets for my wife and daughter on the kids week promotion in August.
  • Options
    Any fans of going to musicals in West end. Gloria Estefan On Your Feet The Musical is brilliant!! Show is both funny and quite sad reliving her accident she had but will literally have you on your feet at the end. Well worth going to see it at the London Coliseum 5 mins from Charing cross 
  • Options
    Rutherford and Son at The National - a revival of a 1912 play about a tyrannical patriarchal owner of a Northumbrian glassworks whose business is failing and who succeeds in alienating everyone in his family. Very good, with a fine turn by Roger Allam (aka Fred Thursday).

While The Sun Shines at The Orange Tree, Richmond - a revival of Terence Rattigan's wartime farce. I thought it was excellent - pacy, extremely funny and a first rate cast. Highly recommended.
  • Options

Saw the Tina Turner show last weekend, which was very good and didn't pull many punches in the portrayal of her relationship with Ike.

My wife won tickets for Waitress last Thursday, which was ok but probably not something I'd pay to go and see.

• Options
    Me and the missus went to see Only Fools and Horses on Saturday - very enjoyable with an excellent cast.
  • Options
    Anyone been to see 'Six' the musical about Henry 8th and wives? Recommend it? My daughter fancies it.
  • Options
    been to 2 shows in last month 

only fools and horses musical - its okay some of the characters are very good, only downside is i had some bird next to me who was obviously drinking her own vodka or some sort of spirit and was absolutely hammered - the staff done nothing which was dissapointing. 

Not theatre as such but saw the illusionists yesterday - very good although as to be expected a lot of kids. 
  • Options
    Anyone been to see 'Six' the musical about Henry 8th and wives? Recommend it? My daughter fancies it.

yes - Twice! love it! only 75 mins long, no interval, it's like a fun take on the story from the wives side, and it ends up feeling like you're at some kind of girl band concert with sass and greensleeves! how old is your daughter?
    I'd defo go again. 

1st time Noel Gallagher was there with his wife and 2 of his kids. I'd say it's pretty educational, in a way, although very sassy and a bit rude, but i dont think young kids would get those bits.

go go go! (and go before the main anne boleyn leaves - milly i think her name is - think she goes at end of summer) amazing voices. v clever songs, which are difficult to get out of your head.

• Options
    Went to see Fiddler on the Roof at the weekend. Very good but not sure I would get upper circle tickets. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Me and the missus went to see Only Fools and Horses on Saturday - very enjoyable with an excellent cast.
    saw that a couple of months back with the missus, thought it was brilliant - Paul Whitehouse was superb as was the casting of both Rodney and Boycie
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Book of Mormon. Been on for a few years now in the west end. Meant to be really funny. Just booked tickets 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Book of Mormon. Been on for a few years now in the west end. Meant to be really funny. Just booked tickets 
    Yes - it's excellent! the less you know the better I think!

• Options
    kimbo said:
    Went to see Fiddler on the Roof at the weekend. Very good but not sure I would get upper circle tickets. 

Saw Anita Dobson talking about that on Sunday Brunch, getting very emotional, it's made me want to go and see it, and I wasn't that fussed before.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    saw that a couple of months back with the missus, thought it was brilliant - Paul Whitehouse was superb as was the casting of both Rodney and Boycie
    Booked to see that on Aug 31st, really looking forward it all the reviews sound dead good
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Ghost Stories ? 
  • Options
    Fiddler on the Roof is really good, though as @kimbo says, try not to sit too far upstairs. Lehman Trilogy top notch though tens to tail in the third act. 
  • Options

yes - Twice! love it! only 75 mins long, no interval, it's like a fun take on the story from the wives side, and it ends up feeling like you're at some kind of girl band concert with sass and greensleeves! how old is your daughter?
    I'd defo go again. 

1st time Noel Gallagher was there with his wife and 2 of his kids. I'd say it's pretty educational, in a way, although very sassy and a bit rude, but i dont think young kids would get those bits.

go go go! (and go before the main anne boleyn leaves - milly i think her name is - think she goes at end of summer) amazing voices. v clever songs, which are difficult to get out of your head.

I think that's a YES! When I looked today, there are no tickets until 8th August, so better get on to it. Thanks for the recommendation.
    P.S. Daughter is 30 but her suggestion.
  • Options
    Our daughter is planning to book during the school hols to take her 2 eldest to this one.
  • Options
    Saw Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last night at the Palladium.  Brilliant.  I saw it as a kid, and had the soundtrack on cassette and as soon as it started all the words came flooding back.  Sheridan Smith is brilliant - comedy timing, voice, everything. Jason Donovan's voice is weak, and wouldn't have mattered if it had been his night off, but he was good fun.  The voice on the undergraduate Jac Yarrow was outstanding. Not cheap - it was a birthday present for me, and would love to go again if it wasn't so expensive! 

Also went to Water Rats as part of Camden Fringe on Tuesday to see a play by a woman at works daughter called Angel. Different and interesting is the review for that. 

Got Evita at the Regents Park open air theatre on 22nd August. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last night at the Palladium.  Brilliant.  I saw it as a kid, and had the soundtrack on cassette and as soon as it started all the words came flooding back.  Sheridan Smith is brilliant - comedy timing, voice, everything. Jason Donovan's voice is weak, and wouldn't have mattered if it had been his night off, but he was good fun.  The voice on the undergraduate Jac Yarrow was outstanding. Not cheap - it was a birthday present for me, and would love to go again if it wasn't so expensive! 

Also went to Water Rats as part of Camden Fringe on Tuesday to see a play by a woman at works daughter called Angel. Different and interesting is the review for that. 

My wife and daughter saw Joseph on Monday. She said Sheridan Smith was fantastic.
  • Options
    Taking the wife to see it tonight.
    Leaving in 15 mins, before the window has slammed shut  :-(
  • Options
    Taking the wife to see it tonight.
    Leaving in 15 mins, before the window has slammed shut  :-(
    Enjoy! It's so so good! 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Saw ‘Present Laughter’, the Noel Coward play, last Friday at The Old Vic. Extremely funny, with an outstanding lead performance by Andrew Scott (he of Fleabag and Sherlock fame). Highly recommended.
  • Options

An excellent show.
    Sheridan Smith was outstanding.
    Jac Yarrow hugely impressive.
    Even Jason Donovan was excellent (must have caught him on a good night).
    A comedic and different interpretation to the usual "Joseph".
    I wonder who came up with the comedy idea, but it worked ?
  • Options
    Went to see Joseph @ the Palladium , Wednesday’s matinee , with Mrs and kids and thoroughly enjoyed it but I’m so dozey and not interested in that sort of thing I didn’t recognise Jason Donovan and Sheridan Smith I just about worked out.They’d both changed quite a bit from my memories of last seeing them years back .

Booked up Goldilocks and The 3 Bears pantomime,  back up there for Christmas 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    PS I didn't think it a great idea that Sheridan Smith wore a "track suit". 
  • Options
    Went to see Joseph @ the Palladium , Wednesday’s matinee , with Mrs and kids and thoroughly enjoyed it but I’m so dozey and not interested in that sort of thing I didn’t recognise Jason Donovan and Sheridan Smith I just about worked out.They’d both changed quite a bit from my memories of last seeing them years back .

Booked up Goldilocks and The 3 Bears pantomime,  back up there for Christmas 

We’ve got tickets for the panto too. If it’s half as good as last year, we’re in for a treat.
  • Options

An excellent show.
    Sheridan Smith was outstanding.
    Jac Yarrow hugely impressive.
    Even Jason Donovan was excellent (must have caught him on a good night).
    A comedic and different interpretation to the usual "Joseph".
    I wonder who came up with the comedy idea, but it worked ?
    the original was reasonably comedic too?  Pharoah was defo Elvis inspired (more so than Jason Donovan?  I thought myself that it got funnier, after seeing it next week but listened to the original soundtrack on Saturday and it was 'funny' too.  Sheridan Smith defo added things in though Ie - original did have Jacob (and not narrator playing a part) Also, Potipher wasn't a kid, there were more children in it - school classes/choirs used to audition, but don't recall kids having proper singing parts - brothers, baker, butler, potifer etc

• Options
    kimbo said:
    Seen a lot recently
    Come from Away. Brilliant going again
    Waitress. Meh
    All My Sons. Great
    I saw that as well, but left it very late so ended up with VERY restricted view seats! To be fair they did warn you expressly, and the tickets were very cheap. And worth it to see Jenna Coleman  :)