Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:

Finally got tickets for Hamilton today, for October, really looking forward to it

Ohh, thanks for reminding me they were on sale again from noon today !

Just purchased 4 for October half term as belated present for daughter's 40th birthday in March.
  • Options
    I went to see Hamilton at the beginning of this month. They were a present bought over a year ago and I didn't even know what it was about when they were given to me. Soon read up on it and heard all about the hype.

I was glad that it actually lived up to its reputation and I really enjoyed it.

I wish I had listened to the soundtrack a little more beforehand.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Went to see Young Frankenstein on Friday. Very funny with a great cast.

Echo that. Putting on the Ritz!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Finally got tickets for Hamilton today, for October, really looking forward to it

I forgot!! Bet there are no tickets left
  • Options
    Went to see Frozen with Suranne Jones and Jason Watkins last night. Really good especially Watkins.

Be warned though, it's nothing like the Disney film!
  • Options
    Will be booking tickets for The King and I at the Palladium, Had to give my tickets away when it was at the Albert Hall a few years ago so will be a trip for the wife and I (and probably the kids) in the summer
  • Options
    I saw 'Hamilton' at the Victoria Palace Theatre earlier this month.

I wondered how I'd get on with rap and hip-hop but everything said and sung by the cast was absolutely clear and I thought it was an excellent all round show. I did a quick bit of reading on Hamilton's life on the way up and that made it easier to follow the story. A bit of a palaver queuing to get in with credit card and passports etc. Whilst I'm all for defeating the touts, I suspect that more than a pinch of marketing hype has gone into the mix in putting these arrangements together. That aspect and others are humorously covered by the West End Whingers in their review - https://westendwhingers.wordpress.com/2018/01/15/review-the-hamilton-experience-victoria-palace/

Incidentally, my wife got us good seats in the Circle about 18 months ago. The next batch of them to go on sale in the Summer and they have increased in price by no less than 150% ! I appreciate that Cameron Mackintosh et al charge what the market will bear but who can really afford those prices ?
  • Options
    Took my parents to see the ENO Chess revival at Coliseum last night (their Xmas present) starring Michael Ball, Alexandra Burke, Cassidy Janson and Tim Howar.

Never seen it myself but know the words and story from 1986 when my parents saw it and played the soundtrack in the car for our long journeys.

Loved it. V expensive and so much to see on stage for certain numbers (One Night in Bangkok) so want to go back and get some cheap seats to fill in the gaps. Wasn’t sold out which is surprising as it’s a short run but unsurprising due to cost.

Recommended and it was only the 2nd night. Get in whilst you can but buy cheaper seats in your level and you could prob sit somewhere else more expensive in an empty seat.

• Options
    Went to the NT in March for Macbeth.
    Was disappointed overall, certain bits had been cut, it was set in a 'context' that had no relevance to the action, or at least wasn't woven in as meaningful, indifferent acting, and only a couple of half memorable moments.
    The cast was an 'inclusive' one which was good, but for our National Theatre it was poorly rehearsed and presented.
    Gets a 5 on the Setheatreometer.
  • Options
    heading to the aldwych next week any shouts for pre theatre dinner or bars close by??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have been indulging my daughter’s love of musical theatre recently. In the last 4 weeks we have seen:

School of Rock - fun
    Everyone’s Talking About Jamie - very funny
    Young Frankenstein - my favourite - very funny
    Kinky Boots - daughters fave and she has now seen it 3 times! Pretty funny.

We’ve got tickets for Hamilton in November.
  • Options

heading to the aldwych next week any shouts for pre theatre dinner or bars close by??

STK is a good option. Depends on budget and appetite. Not too far from Covent Garden so plenty of options and pre theatre deals? They do get booked up though between 6-7
  • Options
    Saw Book of Mormon recently - excellent.

And Les Mis again for the 573565th time - just as good as it ever was.
  • Options
    saw tina the musical with the mrs for her bday - was v good
  • Options
    I am a bit of a sucker for musicals and have to say that Strictly Ballroom was fantastic if you like that sort of thing. Will Young has a great voice - loved his versions of dancing with myself and time after time - and you leave the theatre singing Love is in the air to yourself for the rest of the week.

The acting and dancing is fantastic across the whole cast, and whilst a bit simple and ridiculous, the story really grips you. ZiZi Strallen as Fran brilliantly transforms from a complete geek to a stunning dancer. The bloke who plays her dad would steal any other show. The male dancer's mum is a great comic turn only equalled by his dad!

Going again in a couple of weeks! Reviews were a bit so so and I was wary, but this is a musical that I predict will gain its repeat fans like Les Mis and run and run! It is the best escapism you can get!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I got that bit wrong, it is closing this month. Went last night (wife loves it even more than me). The theatre was full! I can only think it has been miss-marketed and people think it is like strictly come dancing and haven't seen the movie.

Some of the talent in that show makes your jaw drop!
  • Options
    Have seen Kinky Boots several times - always uplifting!
  • Options
    I went and saw "The Case of The Frightened Lady" in Worthing last nigh. Cack!
  • Options

I got that bit wrong, it is closing this month. Went last night (wife loves it even more than me). The theatre was full! I can only think it has been miss-marketed and people think it is like strictly come dancing and haven't seen the movie.

Some of the talent in that show makes your jaw drop!

I saw this too in august and the theatre was half empty. Thought it was amazing. Loved the dancing and the script. The dad is hilarious. Shame it’s closing.
  • Options
    It is one of those shows that isn't sold by the title. To get the idea of the show you have to see the movie. It isn't ex strictly dancers strutting their stuff and the story is about breaking the rigid rules of ballroom dancing. It is a genuinely funny comedy and romance with great performances from the mum and the dad as you mention. Also the dad of Fran is a fantastic dancer. The girl who plays Fran, Zsi Zsi Strallen, is a superstar and I feel a bit sad for the people who haven't seen it that they probably won't get the chance to.

The theatre was sold out yesterday and I think that was from people who have seen it before wanting to see it again. I suspect that will be the case until it closes. If you haven't seen it, try and do so before 27 October. Take your partner and they will be very grateful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Bat out of Hell (Which I saw on Friday) was what I expected. Like We will rock you, they got every Meatloaf song and wrote a story behind it. This one based upon Peter Pan. It was well staged and there were some great voices and performances, but for me the story was a bit weak. Also Meatloaf made some great songs suited to the big stage, but a few duff ones too! If you are a fan of Meatloaf songs it is worth going - I won't be going again but enjoyed it overall.

I did hope to find out what he wouldn't do for love, but that was a bit of a cop out. I will still imagine it had something to do with a banana!
  • Options
    Saw the Book of Mormon last night. Hilarious. Very clever. I had been warned about some of the themes and did expect to me more shocked by some of it but I think as so many people had given the warning, it wasn’t as shocking as I was expecting. Packed auditorium and standing ovation at the end.
  • Options
    So finally, after months of waiting saw Hamilton last Thursday. Loads of hype, so was set up to be disappointed, but my oh my, what a show! Really is the best thing I've experienced in the theatre, amazing musicality, the cast is super talented, and the staging amazing. Still sold out till the end of the current booking period in April, but the tickets for 2019 will be out soon. Well worth spending money on and going along.
  • Options

I went and saw "The Case of The Frightened Lady" in Worthing last nigh. Cack!

Saw it about 3 months ago and can confirm that it is truly dreadful. Don’t waste your money!
  • Options
    Bugger going to see the case of the frightened lady down the orchard on November 10th, got to rush home from England v New Zealand rugby as brought it for the wife birthday present before I knew I got the rugby ticket, what a cock up.
  • Options
    A Very Very Very Dark Matter with Jim Broadbent and Phil Daniels.

This really is very dark. Won’t spoil the story but it’s about Hans Christian Anderson and Charles Dickens and a ‘dark’ secret. Will not suit everyone but I enjoyed it.

And the Bridge Theatre is superb.
  • Options
    Been to quite a few recently.

I and You with Maisie Williams from Game if Thrones was excellent.

Seeing A Very Dark Matter in January.

Hamilton in a couple of weeks.

Also seen Heather's (was good) Eugenius (was excellent) The Wolves (very good) and a small fringe theatre production of Fanatical (was good).

People looking for cheap tickets should download the Today Tix app. Loads of good deals on there.
  • Options

Bugger going to see the case of the frightened lady down the orchard on November 10th, got to rush home from England v New Zealand rugby as brought it for the wife birthday present before I knew I got the rugby ticket, what a cock up.

Would like to say what I thought of it, but unfortunately I only woke up for the ice cream in the interval😀.

Been a bit unwell, the rugby and drive unfortunately was obviously to much, but the wife said it weren’t to bad, but the quality of the sound was bad, but improved slightly for the 2nd half.

• Options
    At the Royal Opera House watching Royal Ballet La Badayere
  • Options
    I went to see Layla and Majnun at Sadler’s Wells performed by the Mark Morris Dance Group Silkroad ensemble. Fantastic Maugham vocals, in particular Alim Qasimov. His voice was so mesmerising that it distracted me from the dancing.