Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options

Somehow I've never seen The Play That Goes Wrong.

Seeing it next month - can't wait.

You'll love it
  • Options
    This is back again, useful if you're looking for a discount:

getintolondontheatre.co.uk/priceless/

Priority booking window at the moment for those with a Mastercard.
  • Options
    Saw 'Peter Pan Goes Wrong' last night. Clever and very funny and one that can be enjoyed by kids as well. I believe it's on telly over Xmas, played by the original cast of the 'Play That Goes Wrong'. I thought it was a bit better than 'The Comedy About A Bank Robbery', although that was also good fun. Not managed to see the first of the trilogy yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Greenie said:

The Play that Goes wrong at The Duchess, saw this on saturday, very funny, if you like comedy with plenty of slapstick then go see it.

If you liked that and I loved it, Peter Pan goes wrong is just as good. Also, very slightly different, but very clever and funny by the same company, I woud personally reccomend Comedy about a bank robbery. It has some great moments in it though maybe not as continuously funny as the goes wrong plays. In those I love the straight faced account of previous productions when they lacked funding and actors such as Ugly and the beast and James and the Peach! Peter pan refers to the production of Jack and the bean! Pure continuous slapstick that just grips you!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Saw 'Peter Pan Goes Wrong' last night. Clever and very funny and one that can be enjoyed by kids as well. I believe it's on telly over Xmas, played by the original cast of the 'Play That Goes Wrong'. I thought it was a bit better than 'The Comedy About A Bank Robbery', although that was also good fun. Not managed to see the first of the trilogy yet.

All three are great but my favourite is the Play that Goes Wrong
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    To give peope a sense of what to expect - from beginning to end absolutey nothing goes right! Absolutely nothing - that is not a spoiler - it becomes plain after a couple of minutes. I can see some people maybe not liking it, but if you just let the slapstick in it really makes you laugh.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    A bit late as the show has gone off but we got cheap tickets for Mrs Henderson presents - we wouldn't have gone normally as the subject matter seemed a bit innapropriate for a show let alone a musical, but it really is one of my favourite musicals just behind Les Mis. The nudity was tastefully done. It had some great songs in it. It is such a loss that it may not come back having not done that well. I want to go again! Did anybody else see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMp9vnikU6M
  • Options
    Nice Fish ... Mark Rylance excellent as usual, very quirky comedy which I enjoyed immensely.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

This is back again, useful if you're looking for a discount:

getintolondontheatre.co.uk/priceless/

Priority booking window at the moment for those with a Mastercard.

Thanks for this Col, used the link and my master card a few days ago. Booked tickets for Phantom of the opera for the mrs Christmas present.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

You'll love it
    Right you were! It was absolutely fantastic.

It was so good that I'm off to see "the comedy about a bank robbery" tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

You'll love it

I've said before that the original is the best. Bank robbery is good but doesn't quite hit the heights though. There is one scene that is brilliantly done and will mess with your head slightly. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Enjoy.
  • Options
    only just realised there was a theatre thread but went to see the bodyguard Wednesday night. Very mushy like the film, and the main mans American accent is bit ropey but it was pretty good. Beverley Knights voice is ridiculous and would go and see anything she's performing in in the future.
  • Options
    I'm going to see The Bodyguard tonight

It was the wife's Christmas present to me, as basically I didn't pick up the hint she wanted to go

Beverley Knight is in tonight's one
  • Options
    American idiot is brilliant. You don't need to be a green day fan or even like green day to be taken in by it.

It's based around the concept of the concept album by the same name and characters from the album are included (st Jimmy, whatshername) my wife isn't fussed at all by green day and it had her in tears, some parts very movingly done. The songs aren't all from that album.

I'm a massive green day fan and was hugely sceptical about it being all jazz hands but it is done properly and all of the cast have their moments.

If you don't know what American Idiot the album is about this show makes it pretty clear and acts it out brilliantly.

I saw it at Bromley when it was touring but I think it's back up the west end now

Book of Mormon is next
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

stonemuse said:

You'll love it

I've said before that the original is the best. Bank robbery is good but doesn't quite hit the heights though. There is one scene that is brilliantly done and will mess with your head slightly. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Enjoy.
    I know the scene you mean - I loved it. Bank Robbery is a bit different to the goes wrong in style - I could galdly see all three again and again!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Where do people go for their pre theatre meals then?

I stumbled across Flat Iron last time and loved it.

Has anybody been to Dishoom? Heard great things and think I may try that tonight.
  • Options

Has anybody been to Dishoom? Heard great things and think I may try that tonight.

Dishoom is nice but expect it to be very busy.

I went to The Ivy Market Grill and had their pre theatre menu. 3 courses for £22. Was decent.
  • Options
    Is the bodyguard going on tour as looks like ending its run this weekend.
  • Options
    Dishoom is great, the dhal is outrageously good. Flat iron good as well but you need to get to both early. If you like American BBQ style food then Big Easy do a very good value pre theatre menu.
  • Options
    Cheers guys.

Yep, was planning on going there for 4ish and then going for a few drinks before the show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Is the bodyguard going on tour as looks like ending its run this weekend.

I think it went on a 6 month tour last year, so i think this Saturday might be the end of it.
  • Options
    Saw aladdin last night, was a treat for my missus at christmas. The show was brilliant. The guy who plays the genie is an incredible singer! The whole production was thoroughly enjoyable. Would definitely recommend
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I saw Dreamgirls the other week. It was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Standing ovations during the show. The best show I've seen. Ever. And the show-stopping first act number And I'm Telling You - man alive, that Amber Riley sang it like her life was depending on it. Not a dry eye in the house. I had something in my eye, a fly or something.

Of course, the missus got quickly bored of my running commentary: 'See, I told you. it's just like the Supremes. Florence Ballard, the best singer – although Mary Wilson was the most attractive, I mean, Mary Wilson's a really, really good-looking woman – got increasingly sidelined, just so that COW Diana Ross, and her weak, reedy, stupid pop voice, could take centre stage. All because Berry Gordy - that fella, that one there, he's supposed to be Berry Gordy - was sleeping with her. Have you listened to anything I've said? Hello?'
  • Options

Dishoom is fabulous, you will have to go early otherwise the queues are horrendous
    Pineapple and blackpepper crumble with cinnamon icecream is THE best thing i have ever eaten

• Options
    We saw She Loves Me at the Chocolate Factory, i loved it.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

We saw She Loves Me at the Chocolate Factory, i loved it.

Excellent - got tickets for that next month.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

stonemuse said:

You'll love it

I know the scene you mean - I loved it. Bank Robbery is a bit different to the goes wrong in style - I could galdly see all three again and again!
    Bella Italia or Byron usually for us.
  • Options
    So I've just come back from seeing The Phantom Of The Opera.... Wow! One of the best pieces I've seen in years at the theatre, the only fault was the kids sat next to me talking and the sound guy at times. The acting was probably the best I've seen in the west end. Go see it!
  • Options
    Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes at Sadler's Wells but ends Sunday. Loved it.
  • Options

Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes at Sadler's Wells but ends Sunday. Loved it.

We had tickets for that but had to return them as MiL in hospital. Hopefully it will come back next year.