Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Did anyone see the Palladium panto Xmas just gone? Absolutely brilliant. Julian clary and Dawn french on top form
  • Sylvia last night at the Old Vic, opening night. How they will keep that level of energy and quality up for the next few months I do not know. Very impressive. A musical social history of modern democracy and women's right to vote with plenty of light moments and some superb solos.

The band was maybe a bit too loud until the cast found their full voices (i felt i needed subtitles but hopefully this will be fixed). Beverley Knight at her best later in the show. Her co-lead playing Sylvia was incredible.

I didn't want it to finish and will try to go again. It could get very difficult to get tickets. Was in the mould of Hamilton I'm told and probably not for those who can't enjoy music of black origin (shame for them :)

• Saw Lemons, lemons, lemons, lemons, lemons today. Enjoyed the play, though if Jenna Coleman had appeared on stage just reciting the phone book, I would have enjoyed it  :D
  • Here she is

• Went to Noises Off at the weekend, slightly slower and less full-on amusing than I remember it but still decent. Saw Charlie and Stan at Wilton's, an imagining of what might have happened on the liner to New York with Fred Karno's Army. Enjoyed this a lot. 
  • Saw "Wish You Were Dead" in Brighton last night. Good story, but I thought both George Rainsford as Roy Grace and Giovanna Fletcher as his wife, Chloe, were not brilliant - they shout rather than project, and so end up sounding a bit "acty"? 

Clive Mantle and Rebecca McKinnis were very good and their dialogue far more natural. The set and lighting were impressive and overall not a bad nights entertainment. 7.5 out of 10.     
  • Back To The Future musical end of May 
  • Not strictly theatre, but if anyone is into HG Wells War Of The Worlds, can highly recommend the Jeff Wayne immersive experience in Leadenhall Street, very very good interactive couple of hours where you all play parts (as a group) with actors from scene to scene, some great Virtual Reality with it.
  • Seen a couple recently. The Walworth Farce at the new Southwark Playhouse near Elephant and Castle. Was excellent. Funny and disturbing in equal measure.

Also saw Windfall at the Old Southwark Playhouse. Again very good. Scooter Pietsch is a great writer.

Going to see Accidental Death of an Anarchist at the Lyric in Hammersmith next week. Hearing good things about that.
  • Bonnie and Clyde tomorrow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cabaret tomorrow ! 
  • Finally got round the seeing the Lehman Brothers trilogy last week... Excellent. Also an am-dram version of Stockholm by Bryony Lavery. If you've no idea what that about then join the club... Neither have I. And I've seen it. Mate was directing so had no choice but it was at least entertaining. 

Only thing I've got in the diary is a touring version of the mousetrap. Taking my 11 year old and she's very excited.
  • Saw 2.22 ghost story last week. Pleasantly surprised. Only went cos a mate had no one else to go with. 

• Saw this at The Criterion this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Very funny and equally dark.

Reece Shearsmith is fantastic and completely steals the show.

Its only on for 3 months. If you get a chance, see it.

We’re going to see Unfriended this weekend. We heard good reviews of it so put it on a list of ones to see. 
    I normally like to get a bargain by way of discounted tickets but decent ones never came up. So I think it must be a good one. 
  • DA9 said:
    Back To The Future musical end of May 
    It’s brilliant mate 
  • The King & I, Orchard theatre in a couple of weeks, treat for my old mum 
  • Saw 2.22 ghost story last week. Pleasantly surprised. Only went cos a mate had no one else to go with. 
    Saw it at Christmas, thought it was just passable 

• Saw this at The Criterion this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Very funny and equally dark.

Reece Shearsmith is fantastic and completely steals the show.

Its only on for 3 months. If you get a chance, see it.

I saw this a few weeks ago, very good.

In recent weeks also seen Noises Off for the first time in 15 years and The Play that goes wrong, for the first time. Both were good fun.
  • Off to Punch Drunks Burnt city in Woolwich tonight attending, with a group of brilliant actors with Down’s syndrome , should be a fab experience 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    Off to see Strictly Ballroom in early April at Milton Keynes. Saw it when it was in London and thought it was excellent. I don't think it was marketed well and people expected it to be like strictly come dancing. When it was announced it was closing audiences really picked up as those who had seen it wanted to see it again.

The Milton Keynes theatre is a great alternative to the West End. It has some top shows, comfortable seats, cheaper prices and free parking.
  • McBobbin said:
    Finally got round the seeing the Lehman Brothers trilogy last week... Excellent. Also an am-dram version of Stockholm by Bryony Lavery. If you've no idea what that about then join the club... Neither have I. And I've seen it. Mate was directing so had no choice but it was at least entertaining. 

Only thing I've got in the diary is a touring version of the mousetrap. Taking my 11 year old and she's very excited.
    We are going to see the Mousetrap in London next week, I went years ago, but my missus has never seen it.  
  • McBobbin said:
    Finally got round the seeing the Lehman Brothers trilogy last week... Excellent. Also an am-dram version of Stockholm by Bryony Lavery. If you've no idea what that about then join the club... Neither have I. And I've seen it. Mate was directing so had no choice but it was at least entertaining. 

We are going to see the Mousetrap in London next week, I went years ago, but my missus has never seen it.  
    Saw that recently for the very first time … I was underwhelmed although my wife enjoyed it … the theatre itself is wonderful 
  • Pre sale for the Stranger Things stage show started today. Got very lucky with the queue. Initial attempt to join gave me position 176,005! Tried again via my phone and got position 950. Hour wait and managed to get a couple of seats in the 3rd week of performances. For those that don't know, it's being billed as a prequal, set in Hawkins in the late 50s.
  • Went to the Tina Turner show last Sunday and loved it, booed Ike though.
  • Just home from an awe inspiring evening at the Kit Kat Club.

My advice would be save up your pennies & look forward to a very special 3 hours that you won't forget in a hurry.

IF you can push the boat out & get a table at the side of the stage, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

But beware of the pricey drinks. One vino & one bottled beer cost Mr F a whopping £21 from the bar ! 

Just as well we'd had a lovely dinner at Bella Italia with a drink beforehand. 

Probably the best birthday I've had for a very long time.... made even better by all your good wishes. Thanks ! 
    I'm taking MrsCat for a surprise early birthday treat on Saturday - got a table at the front in the middle so I'm hoping it's special.  Doing the matinee so I'll be missing the Shrews game.  I'm still trying to work out if that is a good or a bad thing.....
  • CatAddick said:
    Just home from an awe inspiring evening at the Kit Kat Club.

My advice would be save up your pennies & look forward to a very special 3 hours that you won't forget in a hurry.

IF you can push the boat out & get a table at the side of the stage, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

But beware of the pricey drinks. One vino & one bottled beer cost Mr F a whopping £21 from the bar ! 

Just as well we'd had a lovely dinner at Bella Italia with a drink beforehand. 

Probably the best birthday I've had for a very long time.... made even better by all your good wishes. Thanks ! 
    I'm taking MrsCat for a surprise early birthday treat on Saturday - got a table at the front in the middle so I'm hoping it's special.  Doing the matinee so I'll be missing the Shrews game.  I'm still trying to work out if that is a good or a bad thing.....
    It's definitely special, CA. 

Please let us have your thoughts next week.
  • Saw https://lyric.co.uk/shows/accidental-death-of-an-anarchist/ this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Daniel Rigby was fantastic.

• Another vote for Unfriend. 

Funny and very enjoyable. Nice theatre too. Despite taking ‘slightly restricted’ view tickets it did not disappoint. 
  • Just got tickets for Peter Pan Goes Wrong around Christmas time, reckon the kids will love it