Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Murray

Comments

• Faldo-The greatest British golfer of all time. 6 time Major winner. World number 1 for a significant time.

Murray - Errrrrrrr...........

As I said - Hilarious.

Ok?

• edited June 2011
    Faldo - miserable dedicated successful professional
    Murray - miserable dedicated unsuccessful professional

Perhaps that is a bit unfair. Murray is the best male tennis player we have produced since Fred Perry. I don't really care if he is a surly Scot. When he plays at the top of his game, he is fantastic.

What pisses me off is the mentality that pervades most of our nearly great sportmen (and the main difference between them and Faldo), which is timidity.

I heard Murray saying that in his preparation for this years Wimbledon he will do what he always does. Well that reminds me of the old adage - do what you always do and you will get what you always get. I think its time for him to realise that improving to the level of a champion means doing things differently! 
  • Do you know who Nick Faldo sites as his decision to distance himself from his fellow professionals during his heyday? It was another hugely sucessful British sportsman of that era. He told Faldo you don't beat the other guys by being their mate.  A move that led to him still to this day to be disliked by his peers (James,Torrance, Mony etc)? But also a move that led him to sporting greatness.

• I heard Murray saying that in his preparation for this years Wimbledon he will do what he always does. Well that reminds me of the old adage - do what you always do and you will get what you always get. I think its time for him to realise that improving to the level of a champion means doing things differently!

Murray is a fantastic player but he is in an era of 4 other great players including 2 who are arguably the greatest of all time. I agree with the above in that, if he wants to win several slams, he must change something which means he will get worse before he gets better. Faldo was one of the top players in the world then changed his swing to become the best  
  • Faldo-The greatest British golfer of all time. 6 time Major winner. World number 1 for a significant time.

Murray - Errrrrrrr...........

As I said - Hilarious.

Ok?

I was referring to their personalities and public image not their achievements.

OK?

• Terrific tennis player. Hope he wins a grand slam some time and I think he'll pick up this year's Wimbledon if his injury is ok

Strange how someone can be disliked because he's a bit of a surly character, while a player like McEnroe can be liked because he's an arrogant, foul mouthed pri*k

• Murray always reminds me of those crowded Scottish Pubs full of blokes wearing the colours of England's opponents. I'll wait for the next Englishman thanks.
  • Murray always reminds me of those crowded Scottish Pubs full of blokes wearing the colours of England's opponents. I'll wait for the next Englishman thanks.

I don't think this has ever happened....

....and you may be waiting sometime.

• cos it is healthier/easier to be pleased if he wins rather than spit vitriol about him for half hearted reasons. 

life's much better if you don't spend energy 'hating' things/people all the time

• Sponsored links:

• Federer needs to compete more in finals with nadal becoming like millwall and charlton games,that said I think his got a better chance than any
  • cos it is healthier/easier to be pleased if he wins rather than spit vitriol about him for half hearted reasons. 

life's much better if you don't spend energy 'hating' things/people all the time

Well 'hate' is a very emotive word  Suzi, and I do wish I could share your 'Corinthian values' which I am sure are honestly held.
    However in sport I play to win, and not participate! and be a noble looser!.
    I have never understood the philosophy of turning up  not to win!. 
    I  have no idea  wether Andy Murray is sincere  in his 'nationalism', or  he has been advised to do so in a pr spin way, which is what I think you are alluding to.
    That is his choice!, in the same way that footballers kiss the badge and then phone there agents to get there 'arse' out of the club as soon as possible !
    'Cynical'...... yes that is me!,  and probably wrong in my beliefs!
  • I watched his IV after he won queens and he said thanks to everyone who queued up from the crack of dawn to watch the game. no idea about the pr spin. 

If you were the top of your sport, and you represented England for football and Britain for tennis, would you just want to win dependent or would you actually take any notice of whether you consider yourself english or british and would you just play to be the best?  I can't believe Murray wouldn't want to win if he's representing britain as opposed to scotland?

I'll support whichever england, uk or britain in any sport, and then if in a competition where britain/uk are divided, I'll also want the others to do well. 

I think its different in club football as you can pick and choose a club and not your country. football players these days will go wherever suits them at the time. no loyalty. 

• I don't think this has ever happened....

You have to be old, but I remember a fellow called Bobby Wilson who was a great battler and gave us some terrific runs towards the semi finals. Unfortunately he was just below the level of the top guys. I live in hope.
  • Anyone who says they support anyone who is playing against England does not get my backing ?

Seriously would anyone on this board say that ?

It may have been a "joke" but there was feeling there as well.

Come on Nadal, a proper decent player.

• Anyone who says they support anyone who is playing against England does not get my backing ?

Seriously would anyone on this board say that ?

It may have been a "joke" but there was feeling there as well.

Come on Nadal, a proper decent player.

I'm fairly certain he was just playing up to the stereotypes some of the people on this thread propogate. Congratulations, you proved Murray's point.
  • I find it refreshing that Murray knows his own mind and doesn't feed the media with what they want. Yes he has attitude but backed up by world-class talent and why not wind up anyone deluded enough to think England has a serious football team.
  • 1 set all but 2-0 up in the third ....

i want him to do well but is it wrong that i want to slap his mum across the face ?

• 1 set all but 2-0 up in the third ....

i want him to do well but is it wrong that i want to slap his mum across the face ?

Want him to win. Has admitted before he's sort of charlton due to his fitness coach matt little. Was at the valley when we beat Stoke 1 0. Evening game, pardew era, Sam scored the winner.
  • Murray is a twat and those that think his attitude "refreshing" are bigger twats--- have a nice day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Murray is a twat and those that think his attitude "refreshing" are bigger twats--- have a nice day.
    Yes, because it takes no effort, skill, determination to win as many games as he does and enthrall as many supporters and neutrals and earn the kind of bucks most of us can only dream about.
    Still, I am sure he thinks very highly of you Goonerhater and the pleasure you have brought to countless people
  • Is it just me or does that blokes head look like an oversized testicle?
  • Murray wins.

Well played the Scot Brit.

• i'm pleased murray has gone through, seems like a nice enough fella, good luck to him.
  • edited June 2011
    dfrr
    praps you can expand on your comment goonerhater or perhaps the clue to your reasoning is in the name you choose for yourself?

i think it's great we finally have a tennis player who wins and shows attitude but perhaps isn't as polite as, timid paper tiger tim and therefore rubs some people up the wrong way. please may we have more of it or bring back john mcenroe.
  • Arrogant prick

Such warmth of opinion. Any evidence to back up this charm offensive?
  • i do love how people can get all this from watching him on tv. fuckin hell the bloke seems alright to me.
  • Oh se9addick please we have this conversation over and over but but I have been in plenty of bars with Scots with them cheering on anyone else. One particular memory was Argentina in 98. When asked why the response was hundreds of years of history will never change my mind. Rangers fan too. I have plenty of Scottish friends who cheer on the opposition. You're living in dreamland if you think the whole of Scotland are cheering us on.

I feel neither here nor there about Andy Murray.