Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Murray

Comments

• "This was a statement of intent from Federer. He is 30 years old and has 16 Grand Slams - but with more to come on this evidence. His forehand drop shot, the new attacking shot in the Federer armoury, was tricking Del Potro as much as it did Tomic in the previous round. His groundstrokes appear to have even more spin than in previous years. The best could still be to come from the great man."

The BBC's Tennis Correspondent Jonathan Overend.
  • Djokovic looks like he's got an injury
  • Murray is a fine tennis player and lendl might turn him into a grandslam champion. The biggest problem is staying motivated when you get beat so often by the big three. Another issue is that the big three are champions league level, murray is premiership and the best of the rest are championship.
  • Murray will lose against Djokovic. He's great but the top 3 are just on another level.
  • Would have agreed with you six months ago A4L but Murray really has upped his game it appears and I think Djokovic might be carrying an injury. I think Murray will get to the final and lose, but this could well be his best chance of a major (possibly the US but that's a long way off and anything could happen between now and then).
  • Federer forever, Murray never!
  • I've never understood the animosity towards Murray. Maybe not an instantly lovable character but I don't see there's much to hate about him either. Really hope he gets his Grand Slam sometime soon. He's good enough but he's also trying to win it in one of the strongest eras in the history of men's tennis. He's looking pretty good though.

Watched a bit of the Federer vs Del Potro match the other night. Feds looked awesome and right back to his best and sadly, I think, still looks a notch above Murray although he's getting closer all the time. Two potentially fantastic semi finals in store though - Feds' match with Nadal could be special.
  • They might as well tell everyone else not to bother turning up and just invite Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray to play in the semi-finals.

Murray is the definitely the "Ringo Starr" of that quartet though.
  • I like that one Ormiston, the "Ringo Starr" of the quartet.
    Let's think of others.......
    The John Paul Jones
    The John Deacon
  • Three GS finals might indicate he has the ability to be a McCartney on his day though Ormy?
  • Sponsored links:

• @Algarveaddick

Absolutely, I really like the bloke and wish him well.

Its just unlucky on him to be around at the wrong time, he'll have to wait until Nadal's knee is buggered and Federer retires, then he only has to beat Djokovic.....:)

Could be the Stuart MacGill of Tennis.
  • edited January 2012
    Anyone but Murray .
    If the man can manage to run around a tennis court for three hours why can't the man
    Move his mouth when he talks .
    He is the dullest sportsman ever .
  • From Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail...

Question the questions
    Andy Murray is quite possibly the nicest sportsman I have interviewed.

He is friendly, drily funny, honest, interested in broadening the conversation beyond conventional lines of inquiry and when the whole thing looked like being brought to a premature halt by his PR team, intervened, gave up more of his time than scheduled and even let his lunch get cold while we finished. A top bloke. Seriously.

Some people, however, have a view of him formed from watching his post-match interviews. They think he is surly, prickly, without humour and hates the English.

This may be because, unlike every other sport, tennis press calls go off on the strangest tangents. At the Australian Open this week, Murray, still dripping with sweat having played, was asked: ‘Pippa or Kate?’ Live on television and before an audience that included his girlfriend.

Maybe Geoff Shreeves should try that one on Sir Alex Ferguson next time Manchester United lose. He'd still be searching the tunnel for his teeth come Monday.
  • I'd rather be Ringo Starr than that melty faced, self satisfied prick McCartney.
  • I quite like Murray, especially as the pub landlord.................
  • He's racist and goes charlton
  • Anyone but Murray .
    If the man can manage to run around a tennis court for three hours why can't the man
    Its completely irrelevant if someone gives a dull interview or not, a top world class tennis player and I hope he finally gets his grand slam.
  • I don't hate Murray just because of what happened with the Paraguay shirt. I also hate him for being a sour faced misery guts.

I'd also quite like to see him get to the final again , I find seeing him lose when getting so close even more enjoyable
  • I think it's very relevant if he give a dull interview, as the question was why people don't like him.

I find him surly and worse, a poor sportsman. And I really don't like his mum.

Federer is my favourite, class on and off court.

• Federer is my favourite, class on and off court.
    Federer is one of the most arrogant sports people out there. And he just lost to Nadal...

• Sponsored links:

• Anyone but Murray .

Its completely irrelevant if someone gives a dull interview or not, a top world class tennis player and I hope he finally gets his grand slam.
    Its totally Relevant
  • edited January 2012
    To each their own, I like him!

I like Nadal too to be fair, but wanted Federer to win. Would like Rafa to go on to win the whole thing now.
  • edited January 2012
    What a truly one sided rivalry in grand slams between nadal and federer
  • I like the bloke, didnt used to, but I hope he wins a Grand Slam!
  • I think a better question is whether the sweaties would have given a toss if Tim Henman had won Wimbledon. I think not and I won't get too excited if Murray does. I don't get all this "adopt a sweaty cos he's British" stuff. Feel the same ambivalence to Chris Hoy too.
  • so what happens when he plays for great Brtirtain in the Davis cup - do you want us to lose? Don't you want us to get any Olympic medals as we compete as Great Britain?
    Good luck to Murray who is OUR best male tennis player for over 70 years
  • so what happens when he plays for great Brtirtain in the Davis cup - do you want us to lose? Don't you want us to get any Olympic medals as we compete as Great Britain?
    Good luck to Murray who is OUR best male tennis player for over 70 years

Yes. Sod the Davis cup and the Olympics. Anyone but Murray.
  • Hope he wins but Djokovic will win
  • Murray a set down....

thought Djokovic was injured?!

COME ON MURRAY!!
  • he'll need a miracle to get out of this 1 set down and 2-0 down