Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection at 11.30 (ed. GAME OFF)

Comments

• Options
    A website petition has so far been signed by 1222 football supporters from across the Country calling for the sacking of Andy D'Urso. After today's fiasco, which resulted in considerable unnecessary expense for both Clubs's and their supporters, other Charlton and Southampton fans may wish to join me in signing this petition at:-

www.petitiononline.com/swfc08/petition.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ashfordaddick[/cite]A website petition has so far been signed by 1222 football supporters from across the Country calling for the sacking of Andy D'Urso. After today's fiasco, which resulted in considerable unnecessary expense for both Clubs's and their supporters, other Charlton and Southampton fans may wish to join me in signing this petition at:-

www.petitiononline.com/swfc08/petition.html

I'd be up for that - 110 mile round trip to be let down by some guy who didn't fancy it!

But worst of all it means several more hours with the outlaws :-(
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, BDL - made our efforts on Thursday seem worthwhile after all, and confirms general opinion that D'Urso is a c**t.
    Will await the interview with SK on Sky with interest, given his comments on the OS!!
  • Options
    Just got back home after setting off from home at 8.30. Game was called off just as we turned off the Standard. The pint of Courage in Bartrams and the Rock & Chips for lunch was very pleasant, but I'm not sure it was worth 6 hours of driving for.

So angry to get home and find out all the players managers and ground staff felt the pitch was completely playable. D'Urso justifying his reputation yet again. What a ****.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    D'Urso said on 5 Live that he was there at 10.30.

He never once mentioned the pitch was unplayable, only one of the strips for one of the linesman and a "green patch" (its called a PITCH you berk) by the tunnel weren't great.

No fan has ANY faith in this bloke yet he appears to be covered in teflon.

A total and utter bloody disgrace.
  • Options
    Cheers to the two guys who told us as we left our car- saved us a walk. Think we were too annoyed about it and might've forgotten to thank em!
  • Options
    The fact there was an 11.30 pitch inspection was posted on the site about 11am. It couldn't have been posted earlier because we didn't know about it. As far as the club is concerned it wasn't necessary because the pitch was always playable and the match was always going to be on.

I was on the pitch with Paddy at 2pm and it was taking a fork easily, even in the bit that was supposedly a problem.

Either way it's an absolute disgrace that d'Urso wouldn't make a decision until gone 12 and that meant almost everyone was en route, and from what I saw it was all about the linesman.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ashfordaddick[/cite]www.petitiononline.com/swfc08/petition.html[/quote]

Just went there to sign, and then took a look at the other recent signatories.

And I came across this comment from someone who has , nevertheless, signed the petition:

"1234. Ben hayes Live with it. Correct decision in the interest of safety."

Henry, do you have any clarification to offer?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The fact there was an 11.30 pitch inspection was posted on the site about 11am. It couldn't have been posted earlier because we didn't know about it. As far as the club is concerned it wasn't necessary because the pitch was always playable and the match was always going to be on.

I was on the pitch with Paddy at 2pm and it was taking a fork easily, even in the bit that was supposedly a problem.

Either way it's an absolute disgrace that d'Urso wouldn't make a decision until gone 12 and that meant almost everyone was en route, and from what I saw it was all about the linesman.[/quote]

Thanks to you and BDL for your views and assessment.

I trust that the club will make a complaint?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]D'Urso said on 5 Live that he was there at 10.30.

He never once mentioned the pitch was unplayable, only one of the strips for one of the linesman and a "green patch" (its called a PITCH you berk) by the tunnel weren't great.

No fan has ANY faith in this bloke yet he appears to be covered in teflon.

A total and utter bloody disgrace.

If you're splitting hairs it's not called a pitch, it's called the field of play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]The fact there was an 11.30 pitch inspection was posted on the site about 11am. It couldn't have been posted earlier because we didn't know about it. As far as the club is concerned it wasn't necessary because the pitch was always playable and the match was always going to be on.

He inferred that he was looking at the pitch at 10.30
  • Options
    Who feels like punching D'Urso in the adams apple with me?
  • Options
    Nothing to do with me, Prague Addick.
  • Options

One of the contentious areas at kick-off time, as posted by the club on Twitter,
  • Options
    ^^^ Looks fine to me!
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that we have some history with D'urso.

Didn't he and Curbs have a battle of words at some point ?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There seems to be some pretty strong support on here, the the game should have gone ahead, or at the very least the managers and players should have been consulted.

Quite why, when there was little or no chance of the ground becoming worse ( with the sun out) and as Airmans has stated
    "I was on the pitch with Paddy at 2pm and it was taking a fork easily, even in the bit that was supposedly a problem." quite why the game could not have been delayed till 2pm remains bafflying!, if not perverse!

The fans (both sets) were well on there way, and there seemed no question of the pitch needing an inspection!, the prior inspection was merely a precaution on christmas eve.
    '
    Okay things change, and it was a very harsh frost, so why leave it so late to 'inspect'.! I think this should have been done no later than 10 o'clock. The areas concerned could have been re-inspected at say 11pm with any specific interim reccomendations 'if' the ref had concerns!. From what I have read, this agenda as they say got 'changed' and a fresh\different concern was raised, without giving the teams\ groundstaff any opportunity to rectify this position.In any case why speak to sky, the bbc were covering a game, and bbc London broke the news as it said it would in a live match commentary!. Who the hell has sky in a car!.As the ref had left it so late, why not spend a few minutes to consult with the teams!.If it was so marginal, why the rush!, as I have stated fans were on there way anyway!.

Just seen the pics posted by the Inspector.... just how far do the ref\assistants studs have to stick in!..... clear stud and footprint marks ! ( I thought it was the key test, on these pics you could loose a whole bloody key ring)

Sorry, a 'muddled' and confused ref was 'persuaded' by probably the other games being called off,( palace for one) and wanted to delegate his responsibility on Safety grounds which to say the least were both irrelevant and badly managed.
  • Options
    Mr D'urso has now added to his list of controversies, this quote from" wikipedia" already,

Charlton Athletic v Southampton, 2010
    D'Urso, who arrived late for this fixture, then inexplicably called off this game due to a frozen touchline, less than an hour before the scheduled 1pm kick off. No consideration was taken for the proximity to kick off & the fact that many fans had traveled long distances to this Boxing Day fixture - reports from those at the ground suggested that by 1pm the disputed area of the pitch was perfectly fine. This decision angered officials from both Charlton & Southampton who felt the pitch was perfectly playable & were willing to play.[11]
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Andy D'Urso, and Colin Matthews, The Chief Incompetence Officer of BAA?

I wonder, could they by any chance be related?
  • Options
    And another D'urso cock up
    Note the part "safety issues were not a problem"
    Leyton Orient v Gillingham, 2009

Prior to the League One game on December 1, 2009. Gillingham's players were delayed by both traffic chaos on the A12 and problems on the Tube getting to the match, forcing Gillingham manager Mark Stimson to send out the first 11 players to arrive at Brisbane Road[8][9], almost being forced to play reserve team goalkeeper Alan Julian at right wing. D'Urso refused to sanction for a late kick-off claiming safety issues were not a problem and Gillingham had enough players to start the match. Gillingham started the match in Orient's reserve team away kit as their own kit was stuck in traffic, with limited warm up time and lost 3-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given the ipswitch game recently today was disgraceful
  • Options
    This guy is so pompous and arrogant that he thinks the whole day is about him.

Speaking to Sky before discussing cancellation with managers ... he is a joke ... unfortunately an expensive one from our perspective.
  • Options
    Just a opinion no fact behind this but maybe Mr D'Urso might of had a very heavy christmas and not of been fitter enough to ref the game and took any excuse to the get game off. Be hard to prove the ref was pissed but just saying could be a hint of truth or wild thinking. Just thinking with him being late to the game
  • Options
    Sounds like the games go ahead purely at his convenience, us today he just wanted to get back to Essex & his turkey sandwiches. Orient (above)he didn't want to wait for the Gills to arrive, as he again wanted to get back to Essex as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_1993[/cite]Just a opinion no fact behind this but maybe Mr D'Urso might of had a very heavy christmas and not of been fitter enough to ref the game and took any excuse to the get game off. Be hard to prove the ref was pissed but just saying could be a hint of truth or wild thinking. Just thinking with him being late to the game

Just wild thinking I think fella! There's no way in this day and age that a ref turns up the worse for wear. I think we are just looking at a case of a pompous, little man massaging his own ego.
  • Options
    I think there should be a clear rule brought on this (okay, it was my Dad's suggestion but I think it's a good one!). If there is ANY doubt that a match may not be able to go ahead, then a decision must be made no later than the time the earliest away supporters coach is due to set off. If that means a decision has to be made the night before and then the next day the pitch is fine then sobeit - at least no one makes a wasted journey and minimal money is wasted by the home club laying on stewards, catering etc etc etc.

Every year half a dozen or more games are called off in this manner and year after year everyone just shrugs their shoulders and does nothing to try and stop it happening again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_1993[/cite]Just a opinion no fact behind this but maybe Mr D'Urso might of had a very heavy christmas and not of been fitter enough to ref the game and took any excuse to the get game off. Be hard to prove the ref was pissed but just saying could be a hint of truth or wild thinking. Just thinking with him being late to the game

Just wild thinking I think fella! There's no way in this day and age that a ref turns up the worse for wear. I think we are just looking at a case of a pompous, little man massaging his own ego.

I except its a wild thinking and is probably not correct but theres got to be a reason why he was against the game going ahead. The way Southampton trained on the pitch showed how bad nick the pitch was in. Just more frustration that got there and its been called off
  • Options
    I think both the club and the 40+ plus supporters who helped clear the snow made a tremendous effort to ensure the game was on today. I think the club are entirely blameless in the cancellation of this match, the responsibility clearly rests with the ref and linos, who appear to have made a bad decision that has cost both clubs and supporters money.
    I was in a group where one guy had travelled up from Bristol to treat 4 of us in the lounges today. Jon Bumstead came over about 11.45 ish to say that the ref was still not confirming the game was definitely on. I think the club let us know as soon as they could.
    The club should ask for this incident to be investigated. It is hard to see how the decision made can be justified.
  • Options
    Kavanagh very restrained in press interview.

I still think we will hear more on this.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Kavanagh very restrained in press interview.

I still think we will hear more on this.[/quote]

Got that one bang on mate...although he couldnt really say much more.