Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection at 11.30 (ed. GAME OFF)

Comments

• Options
    oh poor you mascot. That is a real shame for you.

Yes its a very disappointing decision by the ref and couldnt see what different the 12pm inspection would do.

A crying shame and lots of peoples plans for the day scuppered... specially you lads who probablyw anted to escape the out laws and have a few bevvies with mates. tho im sure a few are already in and around the pubs of charlton?

Right fed up. This winter is crippling the season.
  • Options
    How many games is that we have to play now which have been postponed? 3?

Probably means League One will be playing Saturday Tuesday every week for the rest of the season...
  • Options
    All our hard work on Thursday ment sweet FA!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Heard rumours the pitch was fine but one of the lines was hard and the lino refused to run the opposite side of the pitch. Pathetic. Clearly obvious how desperate Charlton were to get the game on, and Soton have seemed just as keen as well. So you have a pitch players and managers are happy to play on, surrounding areas cleared by fans to make safe, yet an official doesn't fancy it....

f******* c****

Cant believe it... really upset...

Oh well worse things happen at sea...
  • Options
    So both managers wanted to play, both sets of players were happy but the ref wasn't? I know it's his decision and his responsibility but he should take the managers opinion into account. If a player subsequently gets injured then he can't be blamed. Saying that it's hardly surprising it's off. I awoke to a car with heavy frocst on it and immediately thought that surely the game would be off. Oh well.
  • Options
    I have heard the same story as AFKA. A bloody linesman didnt fancy it. Absolutely disgraceful.

Now ask yourself what would have happened if this had been a live television game.

Equally disgraceful.

I can see more games than Mascot, but I had a car load full of family ready for this one and they wont be there for the rearranged game.

I'm thinking of asking the FA rather than the club to refund our money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]All our hard work on Thursday ment sweet FA!

No it didn't mate. It meant a lot to you, the club and some of us that didn't make it down there.

Well done for making the effort and getting stuck in. It definitely means something.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Should have called the game off on Friday regardless. Waste of a journey for countless fans, especially Saints. At least I've seen a couple of mates for a Christmas drink.
    I live not too far from the ground and based on the recent weather i'm surprised that the game got called off. I guess they expected the game to go ahead.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]I have heard the same story as AFKA. A bloody linesman didnt fancy it. Absolutely disgraceful.

Now ask yourself what would have happened if this had been a live television game.

Equally disgraceful.

I can see more games than Mascot, but I had a car load full of family ready for this one and they wont be there for the rearranged game.

I'm thinking of asking the FA rather than the club to refund our money.

I wonder if the same circumstances had been applied to the Swindon game next Monday live on Sky we'd get the same decision?

I think not
  • Options
    just got back home ... feel sorry for those who had to travel longer distances ... especially mascot88

but why oh why did the game get called off so late by d'urso (or the lino?)... other clubs had already cancelled and this will obviously cost Charlton thousands

bloody ridiculous
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely it isn't a call for the linesman. If the ref deems it playable then the linesman has to get on with it. Also, there is a fourth official so he and the linesman could switch. Think that could be just a rumour.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Surely it isn't a call for the linesman. If the ref deems it playable then the linesman has to get on with it. Also, there is a fourth official so he and the linesman could switch. Think that could be just a rumour.[/quote]

Well it's coming from an authoritative source , Large.
  • Options
    Twitter:

The only person who thought the pitch was unplayable was referee Andy D'Urso #cafc
  • Options
    Luckily got a call from my brother as I was leaving home and he was outside club shop. Not a surprise given the temperatures but gotta feel for saints and cafc fans who were battling bank holiday travel!
  • Options
    The only saving thing about it is that it has pissed on saints fans xmas don't like them so it made me smile. Feel for mascott and those that can't see many. Feel nothing for the south coast scummers
  • Options
    The only saving thing about it is that it has pissed on saints fans xmas don't like them so it made me smile. Feel for mascott and those that can't see many. Feel nothing for the south coast scummers
  • Options
    The club and Saints seem furious about this ... http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2251573,00.html
  • Options
    Ha ha NLA - the spirit of "the season of goodwill to all men" lives on in you I see!
  • Options
    Bad news for everyone travelling and for the club, saddled with all the operating costs but no revenue (well, maybe a bit from the shop). Imagine the walk up gate would have been half-decent too.
  • Options
    Bizarre
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said last yesterday and today that I cant see how it would be on. Didnt stop me getting to charlton lane to find out.

Felt sorry for the people that thought I was taking the piss when I was driving back telling them it's off. They just laughed and carried on walking. Must have told about 30 people but that didn't believe me.

Inept decision so late.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]All our hard work on Thursday ment sweet FA![/quote]

No it didn't mate. It meant a lot to you, the club and some of us that didn't make it down there.

Well done for making the effort and getting stuck in. It definitely means something.

No way Jazzy!. Without fans like you the game had no chance!.........

The game was called off, I think most fans are frustrated, but to do so because of some 'twat' who does not fancy running the line!. Could the fourth official not have replaced him!.

It buggered up my weekend that is for sure! and find it unforgiveable that as I drove over Shooters hill with a lovely blue sky that this decision could not have been made hours earlier!. Quite what could have made the pitch thaw out if this is the decision!. Early morning was the time to make this decision.

I live locally so just frustrated, but the A2 looked jammed,fans have travelled since early morning, and this ref has made an appalling late dithering decision!
    So someone slips over! christ this health and safety malarky is getting to the point that soon if you kick a ball and it goes in the crowd that will be an issue!.
  • Options
    Of course it gutty that we don't have a game to watch and I donreally feel for mascot. However. This should have been called off earlier than it was. No excuses.
  • Options
    Oh dear just looked out the window and saw two Charlton fans legging it down lansdowne at 12.58 who came to an abrupt halt when they saw a view of the empty valley - scratching heads.#

Yes Tavern came back a little while ago charltonpakr and told lots of groups - no one believed either.
  • Options
    Should have been an earlier inspection if the game was in doubt. Very angry fans around me when called off.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am friends with one of the assistants on Facebook. I can ask him for info but not sure he'd tell me what has actually happened though. Just disappointing all round the game is off. For what it's worth I called off Erith and Belvedere v Beckenham on Friday :o)
  • Options
    Just to be clear for the benefit of a "friend" of mine, would I be right in saying that most people seem to be blaming the ref/linesman for calling the game off and at such a late stage?

My understanding is that "the club" (i.e. staff/employees/managers) have been working hard all week to try to get the game on and damn near achieved it - for which they should be applauded for their efforts. Last night there was a very heavy frost in SE London - as we drove home at about midnight I couldn't believe how the parked cars were already caked in ice - so it was always going to be a struggle given those circumstances, but we nearly did it.

The ref dictate the time for the original inspection, then the revised inspection. Nothing the club could do about timings, etc.

Or am I completely wrong?
  • Options
    Fucking hell, this winter break is a massive bore.

Feel very sorry for the Saints fans who were making the trip up there, but I guess they can be slightly thankful that it was only Charlton and not somewhere up North.

Hopefully I can make the re-arranged fixture and Saints should be a much stronger side after the January window.
  • Options
    Just returned home a completely wasted journey and I am thoroughly pissed off.
    Charlton should have made this decision either yesterday or at the latest 8.00am this morning.

What was the club waiting for a high pressure and a warm front to come up from Saudi Arabia and melt the ice!
  • Options
    Varney Out.