Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection at 11.30 (ed. GAME OFF)

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Could he not have simply moved the linesman for that area to the other side of the pitch?[/quote]

I'm told he refused.Hardly credible, but that's what I'm told.
  • Options
    Well that was fun. A 2 1/2 hour round trip for nothing.

And I stopped watching the cricket at 1.30 last night so I could get up for the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Could he not have simply moved the linesman for that area to the other side of the pitch?

Rumour earlier was that the lino wasn't prepared to run the other side of the pitch. Wondered if he thought of using the fourth official instead?
    Seems it's not a rumour, the ref was concerned about the safety of the linesmen as well as the players. Quote from Parky-

"In our eyes it could have gone ahead. However the ref [D'Urso] said there were one or two areas that he was concerned about affecting the safety of players and the linesmen, and had taken the decision to call it off."
  • Options
    Could he not have simply moved the linesman for that area to the other side of the pitch?....... quote BFR
    Or if this 'frail, individual was so upset that he might injure his pride by slipping and landing on his arse, he should have asked the fourth official to do this.......

The comments by the Charlton MD really give the lie that he was looking for an excuse!, probably because the palace game and others got called off!

Down to the ref and his 'frail' individuals......
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Could he not have simply moved the linesman for that area to the other side of the pitch?[/quote]

Rumour earlier was that the lino wasn't prepared to run the other side of the pitch. Wondered if he thought of using the fourth official instead?[/quote]
    Seems it's not a rumour, the ref was concerned about the safety of the linesmen as well as the players. Quote from Parky-

"In our eyes it could have gone ahead. However the ref [D'Urso] said there were one or two areas that he was concerned about affecting the safety of players and the linesmen, and had taken the decision to call it off."[/quote]

I follow one of today's linesmen on Twitter and just asked him what went on - here is what he said:

Me: @BCHREF please tell us why the game at #cafc v #saintsfc was called off so late, it was a complete joke, surely it could have been earlier
    57 minutes ago

Lino: @bromleyboy21 the club were working extremely hard to get it on and that was why the decision was so late. Everyone was gutted.
    17 minutes ago

Me: @BCHREF is there any truth in the rumour that the real reason the game was called off is that 1 of the linos wouldn't run the oppo diagonal?
    12 minutes ago

Lino: @bromleyboy21 none whatsoever
    5 minutes ago
  • Options
    The safety of a linesman. Brilliant. Cockhead.
  • Options
    Safety of the lineman? What from? Frostbite?

With respect all he has to do is run up and down the line and that could be sanded to allow him some extra grip.
  • Options
    Parky on cafc.co.uk
    The suspect areas, in front the west stand near the control booth, and diagonally across on the opposite flank, were those that caused the most concern to D'Urso and his team.

And that would be the main reason the Billericay-based official called a halt to proceedings an hour before the scheduled kick-off of 1pm.

"That was his main concern, the linesman up and down that side," said Parkinson.

"With the left part of the pitch, the groundstaff had been working on that particular area and were confident it would improve before kick-off time. And with the sun how it is at the moment I think it would have done.

"Certainly there would have been a good game of football out there."
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I was In Legends just before 11 so watched the whole thing unfold. There was a very distinct humpy band of ice running just outside the pitch in front of the East Stand near the the north stand corner. The blowers had been put on a band of ice a bit further down and this did clear in time. The ref did sideways skipping along this band of ice on the second inspection and obviously then made the decision that it was unsafe for the lino. I can see why to be honest, and it really shouldn't have been there. But I also think it could have been cleared away in time for a 1:30 kick off. Either it should have been called off very much earlier or it should have been given another go at clearing this ice patch, especially as the outside temp. was at 4 degrees by then. In the event, the crappest decsion of all was made.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]I was In Legends just before 11 so watched the whole thing unfold. There was a very distinct humpy band of ice running just outside the pitch in front of the East Stand near the the north stand corner. The blowers had been put on a band of ice a bit further down and this did clear in time. The ref did sideways skipping along this band of ice on the second inspection and obviously then made the decision that it was unsafe for the lino. I can see why to be honest, and it really shouldn't have been there. But I also think it could have been cleared away in time for a 1:30 kick off. Either it should have been called off very much earlier or it should have been given another go at clearing this ice patch, especially as the outside temp. was at 4 degrees by then. In the event, the crappest decsion of all was made.[/quote]

Ok fair enough, but with a KO at 1.30 PM why not delay it 30 minutes or an hour and clear the ice patch in question.

That would KO at 2PM or 2.30PM and the match finishing at 4Pm-ish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute disgrace.

Only a 70 mile round trip for me so I'm better off than many.

The annnoying thing is that I phoned the ground just before 10 to ask if the game was on as I had a fair way to travel and had seen on the teletext that both Palace and Orient were off. An off hand woman told me that the match was DEFINITELY ON! No mention of pitch inspections or anything else.

That is why I feel pi**** off. Crap decision by D'Urso and crap communications by the Club.
  • Options
    If the club were confident the match would be on, how can their communications be crap? They can only say what they know.

Same old shitty knee-jerk reactions here.
  • Options
    I think it could probably have been cleared by 1:30, which is why I think the decision to call off it off when they did was a bad call. It should have been a much earlier or a much later decision.
  • Options
    D'Urso obviously had too much turkey yesterday and just didn't fancy running around.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Absolute disgrace.

Only a 70 mile round trip for me so I'm better off than many.

The annnoying thing is that I phoned the ground just before 10 to ask if the game was on as I had a fair way to travel and had seen on the teletext that both Palace and Orient were off. An off hand woman told me that the match was DEFINITELY ON! No mention of pitch inspections or anything else.

That is why I feel pi**** off. Crap decision by D'Urso and crap communications by the Club.

I can honestly say that no-one seemed to have any doubts that the game was going to be on until the ref. started his shennanigans. When the decision was made, the announcements went out within one minute of the refs decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]If the club were confident the match would be on, how can their communications be crap? They can only say what they know.

Same old shitty knee-jerk reactions here.

They could have mentioned that there was a pitch inspection not rudely said when I mentioned the other postponed matches OUR GAME IS DEFINITELY ON!

In my book that is poor (or crap) communication.

EDIT: If you are told there is a pitch inspection and choose to travel regardless your decision and no fault of the club. However the phrase "DEFINITELY ON" was used to me and that is why I in turn use the phrase crap communication.

D'Urso is a meglomaniac twat but the Club also has some responsibility for faulty communication.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The safety of a linesman. Brilliant. Cockhead.

was it your mate again ??
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not sure the club is entirely blameless.

There was not even any hint the game might be in jeopardy on the website at 11am this morning.

There was merely a story titled ''Looking good''.

It read:
    ''
    No problems have been reported with the Valley pitch ahead of Charlton's match against Southampton on Boxing Day (1pm).
    Referee Phil Crossley travelled to SE7 on Christmas Eve morning to take a look at the pitch as a precautionary measure.''

Questions:-

1) Why did Phil Crossley report ''no problems with the Valley pitch'' two days ago? Or did he and Charlton officials forget to look at the linesman's areas?

2) Why did the club not sort out the lines as well as the pitch?

3) How come so many other clubs were able to consult with the relevant officials and reach decisions to postpopne in time to inform supporters before they set out?

4) Why did the club website not even mention that there would be a further pitch inspection this morning?

I can see why everyone believes D'Urso is the main villain here . But it just seems a bit too convenient for Kavanagh to heap all the blame onto one man.

From what Stilladdicted says, D'Urso may have been right and may be it was dangerous. In which case, Phil Crossley and Friday's report on the website were wrong.

I don't know. But I'm bloody furious. Not for me, but for all the family members I dragged along with me.
  • Options
    Len I don't think D'Urso was even at the ground until gone 11 so when you called I doubt anyone had any idea there would even be an inspection
  • Options
    durso lives in billericay so no excuse to have not called it off earlier .... as someone pointed above there was no heatwave coming..... selfish to have not got down there earlier
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way is the club to blame!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Len I don't think D'Urso was even at the ground until gone 11 so when you called I doubt anyone had any idea there would even be an inspection

He was there inspecting at 10:55 when we arrived, but given the bluddy cold night, it seems way too late to me.
  • Options
    Fair play stilladdicted, still as you suggest I would've thought 10.55 is well well after what would be necessary in the circumstances
  • Options
    i was in the lib having a pint, fairly non plussed about it and think it's funny for the 2500 shitty saints fans, especially the ones who kicked it off in the lib a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]especially the ones who kicked it off in the lib a few years back.

was plenty of OB attention around the ROD when I walked down (and back) along the Woolwich Road... would be unlike them to frequent a family establishment and play up...
  • Options
    the old bill were tyring to get the coaches to turn around so they didn't get a chance to get off.
  • Options
    Its not funny to drive from Peterborough, 200 mile round trip......
  • Options
    This is the best that I can do, but this is to give you some idea.

129259-1293376868-0.jpg

129259-1293376964-0.jpg

First one is at 11-o-clock.
  • Options
    So unless Airman (who was standing alongside me) or Matt Wright come on here I can say that this is how it unfolded as I was pitchside throughout the whole shenanigans.

D'urso first inspected the pitch at 11am when he turned up. I can tell you that (as Paddy Powell confirmed this to me) at 8.00am Paddy went out to fork the pitch and there were no problems.

The two areas of concern were on the wings. Not the Jimmy seed stand, but the wings where the linos run. One was happy with conditions, the other wasn't. At 11.30 D'Urso inspected again, the covers were off and the sun was getting to the East side. They wandered over to the west and again looked at the Touchline. I'm not going to say what the Lino said as I only heard it second hand, but I know that options of moving where they run were mooted!

The groundstaff were told to move the heaters over to the West from the east, they duly did. Sand was put down and, in my opinion as I walked on it, the pitch was perfectly playable.

At 12 noon they came out again, instead of walking over to the area of concern by the West, they went over to the East. They didn't come over to the west, by that time the heaters had been moved. Before Adkins and Parky had a chance to speak to the ref it had been called off. Sky knew and there was no turning back.

EVERYONE at the club thought there would be no problem. I can tell you that the pitch, including the "suspect" areas were perfect at 1pm, I know as I was out there at that time. Everyone at the club is completely baffled, from the Chairman to the Teaboy (and the PA announcer). We should have been watching a match today.

An utterly disgusting decision.

We attended the press conference as usual, we asked to speak to D'Urso but he refused to talk to the Press, instead speaking to BBC London and Sky.

To all the people who attended the Valley on Thursday to clear the snow, to Paddy and his team - I salute you. You did a magnificent job. You were let down by someone who should have known better.
  • Options
    So glad I decided last night that this would be the one home game I miss this year.
    Ruddy hell.