Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

luis suarez

Comments

• Options
    Do I therefore have the right to take offence at any black person who kisses their teeth at me, as it means "f*** you" (as told to my partner by a black student she used to teach), or are they allowed to do that as its part of their culture, which seems to be what Suarez is claiming?

Do black people only kiss their teeth when white people annoy them?

Does Suarez call anyone who annoys him a negrito or only black people? (assuming he dis say it to Evra)

• Options
     They're having a minutes silence tonight for the loss of Suarez for 8 games.
    Lol
  • Options
    I would say the kissing of teeth is usually for white people yes
  • Options

do they kiss their teeth at each other though or just other races? (genuine question as i think it does make a big difference)

• Options
    it seems something more towards white people.  
  • Options
    Bollocks. Most of my mates on the estate I grew up on were black - they kiss their teeth at anyone and everything that irks them.
  • Options
    Then you are wrong.It's ubquitous amongst Afro-Carribeans all over the world. They use it as a general sign of disapointment, contempt or displeasure. It doesn't have to even be aimed at anyone.
  • Options
    Cha Leroy you rasclat!
  • Options
    Well thats not my view,i think the worst racists are the west indians towards there african brothers,im yet to meet a west indian who speaks fondly of them,seems one way also
  • Options
    Might ask our west indian secretary at work and report back. I'd always assumed it was something they did to each other as well. Will have to wait for the right moment to ask of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do I therefore have the right to take offence at any black person who kisses their teeth at me, as it means "f*** you" (as told to my partner by a black student she used to teach), or are they allowed to do that as its part of their culture, which seems to be what Suarez is claiming?

Probably not, but my point is I find it highly offensive, and so does my partner, and she had it done to her countless times whilst teaching 16-17 year old black students, but she was told by senior staff and management that its culturally acceptable in Jamaica etc so she would have to lump it, which is basically what Suarez is also claiming, ie, cultural differences and misunderstanding.

• Options

If Suarez did call him a Negrito, Then how comes there was no immediate complaint from Suarez or by any of his teamates who were close by. Alot of people are forgetting that Evra has 'cried wolf' before so there is no actual proof that Suarez said anything but Evra is known for playing the race card.

It seems to me that regardless if Suarez is guilty he will be punished just for the sake of the Fa's Anti Racism campaign and the Media pushing for a punishment. I mean they feel that they have to show that they're doing something to combat racism and he will be the Scapegoat.

Anyway, Imo Racism is probably the most one sided and overused word about these days.

• Options
    just accidently bump into her bexley ,im sure she will kiss the teeth is this homely tradition of the west indies
  • Options

I'll have to set up a collision between her and our new marketing lady to be sure.

• Options

Probably not, but my point is I find it highly offensive, and so does my partner, and she had it done to her countless times whilst teaching 16-17 year old black students, but she was told by senior staff and management that its culturally acceptable in Jamaica etc so she would have to lump it, which is basically what Suarez is also claiming, ie, cultural differences and misunderstanding.

IMO her senior staff and management are dicks. It shows disrespect to her as a teacher. Those kids' parents woudl never allow it, why shoudl she.

But you are missing the point completely. If Suarez is rude to everyone in the same way then he's being rude but he isn't being racist. If he uses a racist term to be rude to a black person that is different. If its part of his culture to be racist (it isn't) then that may mitigate the offence but it doesn;t mean it isn't an offence.

Personally I think we've gone too far. I was called a paki pretty much every day at school, often in front of teachers (and once or twice by them). No choice but to shrug it off. I'd hate to think we'd ever return to those days but there does seem to be an overreaction to anything that hints of racism.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well thats not my view,i think the worst racists are the west indians towards there african brothers,im yet to meet a west indian who speaks fondly of them,seems one way also
    Not strictly true. There was a bloke called Bob Marley (and a lot more of his Rastafarian bretheren) who worshipped an African emperor called Hailie Selasie as a living god...

Then there was a  Jamaican fella called Marcus Garvey who founded the Black Star Line to take Caribbean people back to Africa....
  • Options
    The mental gymnastics in use here to justify racism is quite depressing, though unsurprising. 
  • Options
    wot u mean like laughing at English men being defined as C**ts on here?

• Options
    don't find the kissing of teeth offensive at all, or even that it was an exclusively afro-carribean term? I do it sometimes as a bit of a laugh. Maybe its a generational thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's a @nolly thing!
  • Options
    Lol what a endearing thing it truly is.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2011

wot u mean like laughing at English men being defined as C**ts on here?

Perfectly acceptable culturally :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Personally I think we've gone too far. I was called a paki pretty much every day at school, often in front of teachers (and once or twice by them). No choice but to shrug it off. I'd hate to think we'd ever return to those days but there does seem to be an overreaction to anything that hints of racism.

This sums up the whole dilema. I appreciate that 'cultural teeth clicking' may be deliberately offensive and that the 'Racism' Industry is too often a blunt instrument which seems to be aimed soley at the white population, that is, if a blunt instrument is capable of being aimed, BUT, until one has been the target of persistent name calling of a racist nature, it is impossible to gauge the hurt and pain that can be caused to the recipient of such name calling. Yes, the law should attempt to protect brown and black people from racist abuse and equally brown and black people should desist from calling white people foul names in English or any of the many languages which are commonly used in England today. Once upon a time I had an Indian/Sikh lady friend. One time as we were walking past a group of Asian young men, a remark was aimed at us by one or several of this group. When I asked her what was said, she replied 'I'll tell you later'. Later, She told me that the comment was along the lines that she was nothing but a traitorous whore for accompanying a stinking white bastard .. mmmmmm ... I never saw that group again, luckily for all of us. 
  • Options

Just spoke to our west indian secretary and she happily confirmed that she does the teeth thing to everybody and she / they generally do it even more to her own origin / race. Decided the arranged collision could have taken some explaining away if i was caught.  

• Options

Just spoke to our west indian secretary and she happily confirmed that she does the teeth thing to everybody and she / they generally do it even more to her own origin / race. Decided the arranged collision could have taken some explaining away if i was caught.  

I find it offensive, but should I accept it as its a cultural thing?
  • Options
    no its offensive,just like when they call each other the N word which seems acceptable in raps and how they greet each other round catford sadly
  • Options
    "they" lol. 
  • Options
    @nolly I've seen the "poor white man" light: where do I get my badge?
  • Options

people just have to be more understanding and accepting of others views and feelings on certain aspects but people  want it written in black and white when it is never that simple but then that's people for you being difiicult

what one person finds offensive others find inoffensive

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!