Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

vs. Southampton, Post Match Comments & Views

1235»

Comments

• Racon was in and out. Some nice touches here and there but nothing outstanding.

Im pretty certain Semedo didnt get booked, in fact i cant remember any of our players getting a booking. I was slightly pissed tho.
  • Glad Jose remains available.

As regards Racon sounds like his usual mixture of reasonable and going missing.
  • I thought Racon had a decent game, put himself about a bit and was the one touch of class in a congested midfield. Didn't set the place on fire but it was a tough afternoon for the midfield with so little space to work in. On the other hand, I thought large chunks of the game passed Bailey by and some of his use of the ball was dire, but he nearly popped up with 3 point winning contributions.

I think this is part of our problem right now, we have too many part players, by which I mean players who are good at one thing but quite weak at other things. I think Mooney and Akpo in particular exemplified that yesterday. Mooney came on and looked bright, got into good positions and showed some nice touches and turns but was found wanting for a bit of strength and pace and didn't manage to gget on the end of anything. Akpo came on, pushed a few people around a bit and caused a few problems but makes the wrong decision at least 50% of the time.

I guess that's the reality of being a tier 3 side but we're still strugggling to find the right balance still.

I think what really cost us yesterday though was how unambitious we were in the first half. If we'd gone at Saints for 90 mins the way we did for 45 in the second half I think we'd have won. Jonjo shoould have started or Bailey should have been pushed up behind Forster - the 4-1-4-1 we set up with at the start of the match just squashed the midfield up too much and left Forster far too isolated. Final ball was pretty poor all afternoon as well.
  • Oggy mentioned Akpo starting with Forster, just what I was going to suggest. Akpo's frustrating but gives us a powerful player up front, that wins throw ins, corners and creates chances itself. Mooney might play a nice pass to Forster (like for the penalty at MK Dons), but Akpo will win a few headers, has a bit of pace, just gives us something different to worry defenders. Not as clever as our other strikers but he does worry defenders.

Burton shouldn't be rushed back, and no other striker can play on his own, I think Akpo and Forster would give us two very different strikers up front, which is surely harder to defend against. Any other partnership no one can really challenge for headers and we lack strength and power up there.
  • thanks to saints fan for the un-hyped view of things ... i'm missing exeter away can you go to that and report back ....
  • oohahh in away game absence shocker.... ;-)
  • watched the extended footage on CAFC player last night and how the ref didn't give the penalty for handball is beyond me , what with that and the one at huddersfield as well that's now lost us three points .
  • The problem with Sam and Reid and their attacking is once they get up the field all they have to aim at is a diminutive striker marked by tall defenders, so Reid goes it alone and Sam keeps posession. The defence doesn't follow the play but sits deep, Semedo protects the four just in front and Bailey for some reason all the 1st half sat behind him. Apart from his efforts on goal, Bailey was poor and didn't even offer for the ball. Parky is playing 4-5-1 without the players to do the necessary jobs. Forster needs a striker along side.
  • Didn't go, sounds like we were unlucky to get anything from the game.

Think it;s looking more likely we will be in the play offs with our run in though on paper compared to the others.

Good that Semedo didn't get booked.

Need 3 points vs Colchester now to make the play offs assured, if we lose that then we will be shitting ourselves
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]watched the extended footage on CAFC player last night and how the ref didn't give the penalty for handball is beyond me , what with that and the one at huddersfield as well that's now lost us three points .

Saints probably should have had a pen as well when Borrowdale shuved Puncheon inside the area so that may have levelled itself out, truth be known.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought we played ok. The defence played well. Not enough up front , which has been the tale of the season.

Saints fan on the train said he thought it should have been 1 v 1.
  • Uncle said -
    ''Soundas just to clear things up...I asked johnny73 how he could justify saying it was right to drop jonjo when bailey missed more chances. You decided to get involved and say that their keeper pulled off some great saves therefore justifying jonjo being dropped because their keeper played well. If that wasn't your point then why did you bother to answer the question i asked Johnny73? And thank you but i dont have strange opinions at all i just dont like people sticking their oar in just for the sake of it. The question wasn't aimed at you but you took upon yourself to answer it. Well if you dont like me answering back then dont get involved.
    Callumcafc i appreciate what your saying that bailey's misses were saved and jonjo's were missed but you get the same if the keeper pushes it round the post or if you it the corner flag. A miss is a miss and results in no goal, so what i say stands he missed more chances''

Its not the same, you need to hit the target, if the keeper saves it, what can you do? But if you spoon it wide then that is a miss, its like a penalty, its either a miss or a save. The end result is the same, but thats how I and many others will look at it. a miss or a save. I know you are family so it must be tough to hear that a member of your family is getting pelters, but I'm sure Jonjo can take it. If I was 17/18 I would swap places with him, he will go on to bigger and better, but he is still fair game if he does mess up same as any other player. Message forums are all about opinions same agreeable some not, hey ho!
  • Overall i thought we were a bit unlucky. I don't think pary got his initial selection wrong. the fact is we had some good attacks (probably more than in recent games) with lapse at the back in the first half. However I think he delayed bringing Jonjo on too long as I felt he made a difference when he came on. This doesnt mean it was wrong not to start with him. Having said that I would put him in against colchester.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite] i'm missing exeter away can you go to that and report back ....

But no doubt you'll still be on here moaning about our support should we not sell it out.
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Uncle said -
    ''Soundas just to clear things up...I asked johnny73 how he could justify saying it was right to drop jonjo when bailey missed more chances. You decided to get involved and say that their keeper pulled off some great saves therefore justifying jonjo being dropped because their keeper played well. If that wasn't your point then why did you bother to answer the question i asked Johnny73? And thank you but i dont have strange opinions at all i just dont like people sticking their oar in just for the sake of it. The question wasn't aimed at you but you took upon yourself to answer it. Well if you dont like me answering back then dont get involved.
    Callumcafc i appreciate what your saying that bailey's misses were saved and jonjo's were missed but you get the same if the keeper pushes it round the post or if you it the corner flag. A miss is a miss and results in no goal, so what i say stands he missed more chances''

Its not the same, you need to hit the target, if the keeper saves it, what can you do? But if you spoon it wide then that is a miss, its like a penalty, its either a miss or a save. The end result is the same, but thats how I and many others will look at it. a miss or a save. I know you are family so it must be tough to hear that a member of your family is getting pelters, but I'm sure Jonjo can take it. If I was 17/18 I would swap places with him, he will go on to bigger and better, but he is still fair game if he does mess up same as any other player. Message forums are all about opinions same agreeable some not, hey ho!

I think your missing the point. I didn't stand up for Jonjo when he was getting stick for missing i'm saying him being dropped for bailey didn't prove to be the right answer because we lost and we didn't even score and by the sounds of it didn't play that great either. Yes it is about opinions and i'll have mine along with the rest of you...Family or not
  • We did play well, better than for a long time. Bailey was our MOM and he was unlucky not to score at least 3, which Kelvin Davies saved & were some of the best saves against us this season.

Parky was 100% correct to bring our captain and best player back. Whether Shelvey should have made way or someone else is debatable.

However, the fact remains that 3 great efforts that are very well saved by the keeper are not missed chances and are not the same as a shot that is well wide of the goal.

However, I'm not digging out Shelvey, I support him .

But you can't twist facts to suit your "arguement" .
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm missing exeter away can you go to that and report back ....

But no doubt you'll still be on here moaning about our support should we not sell it out.

whether i go or not doesn't stop me having an opinion sid ......
    i didn't go to soton our numbers were poor down there ......
    i didn't go to mk dons v leeds ..... leeds numbers were good there
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]We did play well, better than for a long time. Bailey was our MOM and he was unlucky not to score at least 3, which Kelvin Davies saved & were some of the best saves against us this season.

Parky was 100% correct to bring our captain and best player back. Whether Shelvey should have made way or someone else is debatable.

However, the fact remains that 3 great efforts that are very well saved by the keeper are not missed chances and are not the same as a shot that is well wide of the goal.

However, I'm not digging out Shelvey, I support him .

But you can't twist facts to suit your "arguement" .

Who's twisting facts ? So we scored Saturday did we? No then a miss is a miss is a miss.
  • You are twisting facts/ are misguided. You said on page 1 :-

"How can you justify that he (Bailey) missed more chances than jonjo did in the last game when he got caned"

I repeat Bailey didn't miss any chances he had three excellent efforts that Davies saved well, I think most people can understand the difference, between a save and a miss.

I agree that a miss is a miss, but he didn't miss !
  • Sponsored links:

• we played okay but let's not fool ourselves that we were suddenly some great attacking threat cause their keeper made four saves. Of those at least half were from set-plays.