Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

vs. Southampton, Post Match Comments & Views

Comments

• At the start of this season i was a staunch Sam supporter and was confident he would be an outstanding player at this level, and in the first few games it seemed I might be proved right, culminating in a great goal against Brentford.

Since then he has gone completely off the boil, interesting that their were comments from the Board etc at the start of the season that he may be playing as well as he was becuase he was in the last year of his contract - could well be true, problem with being near the end of your contract and near the end of the season is that you are probably nervous of getting injured badly and being left without a club the following season - kind of ruins your motivation to run at a full back who in this league is likely to be quite partial to a tackle. Only a thought!

At the end of the day someone needs to pull him aside and tell him we still pay his salary at the moment, and have done for many years when he has not exactly done much to earn it and now would be a good time for him to actually repay some of the clubs faith in him and ensure we are promoted - he could be so much better if he had an ounce of desire.
  • I think the worst thing about today was the red card that Hammond should have been shown for his challenge on Reid at the end of the first half. Fair enough I haven't seen it again but at the time when I saw it, it looked like a nasty and very late challenge, not to mention his feet were off the ground and to make it just that bit worse we were on the attack and I'm pretty sure we had them outnumbered as well. Think we totally deserved a draw today, but unfortunately we just couldn't cut it in the final third and I don't know or care what saints fans have to say but the ref was on their side today, kept giving them fouls and again missed two contentious handballs in the box. It's so obvious we miss Burton right now, really hope he is back on Tuesday, still refuse to give up hope of 2nd spot although like others I do have my doubts but the gap is only 4 points and should we win and other results go our way that can be cut to just 1. Come On You Addicks!
  • [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]I think the worst thing about today was the red card that Hammond should have been shown for his challenge on Reid at the end of the first half. Fair enough I haven't seen it again but at the time when I saw it, it looked like a nasty and very late challenge, not to mention his feet were off the ground and to make it just that bit worse we were on the attack and I'm pretty sure we had them outnumbered as well. Think we totally deserved a draw today, but unfortunately we just couldn't cut it in the final third and I don't know or care what saints fans have to say but the ref was on their side today, kept giving them fouls and again missed two contentious handballs in the box. It's so obvious we miss Burton right now, really hope he is back on Tuesday, still refuse to give up hope of 2nd spot although like others I do have my doubts but the gap is only 4 points and should we win and other results go our way that can be cut to just 1. Come On You Addicks!
    I thought he was going to get sent off too, especially with how bias the referee was.

BUT than again we had a similar situation where we quickly attacked after your corner, One of your players went through Lallana to get the ball and the referee told him to get up. Not to mention the penalty in the first half when your player pushed Punch over.

Funny how football changes opinion but I never saw any of these handballs, apart from one on Fonte where his hands were by his side. You cannot give a penalty for that.
  • Robbie Elliott doing the bouncy at Half time!

Top bloke, happy to pose for pics etc. Strange seeing him mingled in.

The lino nearest us was an absolute turnip
  • Playoffs - Get used to it.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]Was that our best header shown on the football league show?

can someone there tell me that this routine header and save wasn't our best effort .... although i know any save at this level is considered unbelievable by our fans ... that was basic
  • looks like play offs at best need results to go our way and i cant see that happening as for peoples views on Lloyd sam im cant write on here what i think about him but i will say this he isnt my favourite player.
  • Uncle

Before the game i agreed with Parky playing Bailey instead of Shelvey. Bailey is our top scorer from a midfield position and brings more to the team defensively in my opinion. This was probably going to be one of our toughest away games of the season and I'm sorry but I think in those circumstances you go with experience over youth. As it turns out it sounds like Bailey was one of our better players. In hindsight I do agree that dropping Sam might have been the better option.

In a perfect world we would be able to accommodate both Shelvey and Bailey in the same team. In the last two games both have got in positions to score goals. I wouldn't criticize either player for missing chances but would say it's better to force the keeper to make saves.

Believe me I think Shelvey should have played a lot more this season. He should definitely have played in the home game to the Gills.

This is how I hoped Shelvey's season would go.
    First half of season - used as sub from bench in away games. Home games - in first eleven in a more attacking formation. Second half of season - Became a regular home and away - having gained experience and knowledge - starts to become the attacking hub of the team. Summer 2010 - sold to a premiership team for a decent fee. As it is the chances of Shelvey signing another contract are zero and his transfer value has probably gone down. I'm not down at the training ground so can't possibly comment on why he struggles to get into the first eleven.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]everything you have said about sam he has done since brentford at home, terrible player for us this season, when he should piss this league toilet proper pony player an entity that we can not afford yet he plays week in week out
    Because he's still our best option on the right. Wagstaff isn't good enough to start. Perhaps we should play Bailey or Shelvey there, don't see any other option.

Why should he "piss this league"? He's not good enough to do that, just like the rest of our players aren't. Has any player found it that easy this season?

He's not been terrible all season, still has 8 assists 4 goals, but they I think all came before Christmas. Since then has had the odd decent game but without adding to his assists. He's now just taking the safe option far too often, seems he just lacks a lot of confidence.
  • The team performance was ok yesterday. Sam was his usual self - no end product and seemingly too scared to take on the the full back.

Bailey's chances were not easy or sitters, but if they had fell to Forster it may have been a different story.

The full backs had bad games, constantly getting skinned by Puncheon and Antonio.

Sadly Parky's tactics were once again questionable. We invited them to score from the first whistle. Setting up with Forster up top on his own was ridiculous as he was so isolated.

It is clear Parky would have settled for the point, which is wrong at this stage of the season.

We could of had two penalty's, one of them looking like a clear handball.

Also Llera the lazy bastard didnt even bother to clap us whilst warming on the touchline!
  • Sponsored links:

• a few points - didn't think it was a sending off, didn't think either of our pen appeals were pens as the ball was struck at the defender from a few yards and not deliberate, if the save shown on the FL show was the one where Bailey was dead centre and headed straight down the keepers throat then agree it was a routine save but it wasn't the best, one in the second half from a Bailey shot was the best imo. Thought the ref made some poor desicisions, two corners to them that were not corners, but he was poor in equal measure so I've no truck with that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]Also Llera the lazy bastard didnt even bother to clap us whilst warming on the touchline!

and neither did another player who is dear to everyone's hearts, so what.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]The full backs had bad games, constantly getting skinned by Puncheon and Antonio.

Don't know if this is the first time someone has said this, but it's definitely the first time I've read it, but everyone's been talking about Sam's performance.

Waiting on the video on BBC now. Hopefully it'll show the other chances, because that one was fairly routine. I've seen Saints fans rate Davis as a 9/10 performance yesterday, so there must've been better saves.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]Also Llera the lazy bastard didnt even bother to clap us whilst warming on the touchline!

and neither did another player who is dear to everyone's hearts, so what.

I'm guessing you mean Shelvey and he did acknowledge the away fans when he warmed up. When he came out the second time he also gave it the "get behind the team" arm gestures.
  • Decent game played out between two evenly matched sides. Could have gone either way on another day as we forced some good saves from their keeper and although they had more of the ball, Davies probably had to work harder than Randolph.

Ref was terrible, missed loads of stuff for both sides and gave some really innocuous stuff, most glaringly a blatant handball in the Saints area that should have given us a penalty and Akpo was flagged off side when he was breaking through and I'm pretty certain he was on as he had to run around the last man to get to the ball. If either of those decisions had gone our way or if only we'd shown a bit more ambition in the first half, we might well have nicked it.

I wanted to come away thinking I'd seen a performance that showed real signs of us being able to win the three tough home games ahead of us but, in truth, neither side looked like potential automatic promotion teams. That said, I've seen us play a lot worse and i've certainly not given up hope but it looks like the play-offs now. I hope we can improve a little further and enter them with some good form behind us.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Neither Sodje or Mooney made a difference and in fact made things worse as we were better before the changes.
    I think Akpo did actually make a difference. He didn't add much but just having a more physical player up front helped, one example he didn't win a header but did enough challenging the defender and I think the header went out for a throw to us. When Forster was going for headers he won the odd one but a lot of the time the defenders just won it cleanly and it went to another Southampton player. Shelvey nearly put him through but it was offside.

Not saying Akpo had a good game, but we looked better when he was there simply because we had someone winning a few headers, and he added some pace and strength and front.

I'm not a fan of him, or his type of player but he did ok and gave Southampton more to worry about than Forster on his own. He's not got a good touch and he makes some poor decisions but he can offer things none of our other strikers do.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Soundas just to clear things up...I asked johnny73 how he could justify saying it was right to drop jonjo when bailey missed more chances. You decided to get involved and say that their keeper pulled off some great saves therefore justifying jonjo being dropped because their keeper played well. If that wasn't your point then why did you bother to answer the question i asked Johnny73? And thank you but i dont have strange opinions at all i just dont like people sticking their oar in just for the sake of it. The question wasn't aimed at you but you took upon yourself to answer it. Well if you dont like me answering back then dont get involved.
    Callumcafc i appreciate what your saying that bailey's misses were saved and jonjo's were missed but you get the same if the keeper pushes it round the post or if you it the corner flag. A miss is a miss and results in no goal, so what i say stands he missed more chances.

I'll take your advice and not contribute in future.
  • edited April 2010
    ValiantphilCommentTime2 days ago # 13
    All we have to do first is get past Colchester, Norwich, Leeds and ..........er......... er....... Super Al

Charlton 4 WHU O
    "I can't take full pleasure in the result as there are people I love in the other team, who are hurting"

And sure enough in today's NOTW.
    "Today was difficult for me....I love some of their staff and players"

Arrogant .....................so and so.

Get your timetables and maps out again, it's the playoffs at best.
  • I went. We played well, better than at Hudds & MK Dons and we were decent there.

It was an evenly fought game between 2 teams that are top 6 level.

We deserved a draw, it could have gone either way.

Our players played there "usual" games when they play well.

Bailey was our MOM and created 4 chances himself (3 headers). He didn't miss any of them, they were all well saved.

PS Sorry but Uncle is talking complete bollo*ks if he is saying 4 good efforts saved by the keeper is the same as a shot that heads toward the corner flag.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: forzajuve_27[/cite]I think the worst thing about today was the red card that Hammond should have been shown for his challenge on Reid at the end of the first half. Fair enough I haven't seen it again but at the time when I saw it, it looked like a nasty and very late challenge, not to mention his feet were off the ground and to make it just that bit worse we were on the attack and I'm pretty sure we had them outnumbered as well. Think we totally deserved a draw today, but unfortunately we just couldn't cut it in the final third and I don't know or care what saints fans have to say but the ref was on their side today, kept giving them fouls and again missed two contentious handballs in the box. It's so obvious we miss Burton right now, really hope he is back on Tuesday, still refuse to give up hope of 2nd spot although like others I do have my doubts but the gap is only 4 points and should we win and other results go our way that can be cut to just 1. Come On You Addicks!
    I thought he was going to get sent off too, especially with how bias the referee was.

BUT than again we had a similar situation where we quickly attacked after your corner, One of your players went through Lallana to get the ball and the referee told him to get up. Not to mention the penalty in the first half when your player pushed Punch over.

Funny how football changes opinion but I never saw any of these handballs, apart from one on Fonte where his hands were by his side. You cannot give a penalty for that.

Was right in front of us all and we could all see Puncheon dived, the bloke should've been booked. More bad refereeing. I thought myself he was biased to your lot. He gave those two corners in the first half from shots that went nowhere near any of our players. That linesman down that side was bloomin' useless as well.
    And that Hammond tackle was shocking. Straight red all day long for me.
    Apart from all that, we were unlucky yesterday. Davies was superb in goal. Deserved to get at least a point but hey ho. Play-offs are the most fun way of going up anyway!
  • Sponsored links:

• he clearly likes to spread the love, allegedly.
  • There's been a lot of bollux written on this thread by people who didn't go to the match........

Special mention of the referee ......... no way was he biased. He didn't favour Southampton, and he didn't favour Charlton.
    He was just afraid to make any kind of decision. Basically he didn't know what day of the week it was, as the game passed him by - and eventually players on both sides did more or less whatever they thought they could get away with.

First of all we played a decent side in Southampton, who put us under a lot of pressure in the first 20 minutes without putting a shot on target.

After that, the game played out with both teams condensed into a narrow strip either side of the halfway line.
    Both teams suffocated each other in the safety of midfield.

Southampton always looked very quick on the break, with direct long balls and good running from Puncheon - but while they threatened from time to time, and Lloyd Sam did very well to head one off the line, Randolph overall had very little to do apart from a couple of easy collections, fielding a few catches and picking the ball out of the net. He didn't really need to make a save worthy of the name.

Charlton on the other hand, were much more ponderous on the break often allowing Southampton to get everybody behind the ball. But we did create some good opportunities, especially when we played on the floor - their keeper kept them in the game bringing off good reactionary saves several times from Bailey and Forster.

In my book we conceded a goal very poor defensively - even though it was a brilliant strike. Reid attacking wide left almost level with the angle of their box gave away posession cheaply, the big hoof cleared both midfield and our defence and fell into the path of the onrushing Antonio who blasted his shot into our net.

And that illustrates one difference between Reid and Sam - Reid more direct, but more frequently gives away the ball, sometimes like yesterday with disasterous consequences. Sam on the other hand doesn't seem to want to attack his man but doesn't lose the ball so easily and brings team mates into the game, retaining team posession.

I felt for Nicky Forster ploughing a lone furrow up front, with the superb Jose Fonte marshalling his defence well.
    Forster worked tirelessly, creating a couple of chances for himself out of nothing - one particularly when he robbed the defender in his own box, turned brilliantly to shoot on target, only to be thwarted by an equally good save.

Nicky Forster is wasted as a lone forward; in Burton's absence, why on earth isn't he teamed with Akpo?
    Akpo can go crashing in for the first ball and Forster with his neat turns and composure, can feed off the knockdowns and loose balls.

Special mention to Jonjo yesterday - he came on after 78 mins, went more or less left mid and soon settled down to make a very decent contribution, with good touch, vision and distribution. With more time on the park yesterday, he could have made a huge difference.

Bailey ran his nuts off yesterday and had a huge impact on the game - another day, those chances would have gone in for him. He was unlucky not to be our matchwinner.

This was a match against one of the very best sides in the division, but they were there for the taking - we should never have lost, were well worth a point, and really could and should have had all three.

The reason we didn't, was that we got caught on the break badly - and their keeper made a string of very good saves.
  • edited April 2010
    I believe Shelvey clapped us on two occasions and actually showed some appreciation unlike that ungrateful git Llera!

Good point regarding Fonte, he was fantastic.
  • Oh come on guys, let's not crucify a player because he didn't applaud........does it 'really' matter 'that' much?
  • can we make post match views strictly for those that went to the game in future,to avoid any confusion,between me and off-it ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]ValiantphilCommentTime2 days ago # 13
    All we have to do first is get past Colchester, Norwich, Leeds and ..........er......... er....... Super Al

Charlton 4 WHU O
    "I can't take full pleasure in the result as there are people I love in the other team, who are hurting"

And sure enough in today's NOTW.
    "Today was difficult for me....I love some of their staff and players"

Arrogant .....................so and so.

Get your timetables and maps out again, it's the playoffs at best.

I have to agree. With the run in that we've got the play-offs are by no means nailed on. All the teams we are playing have something to fight for and I think of the top 7 teams we have the hardest run in. That being said as we have to play both Norwich and Leeds it's nice to have our destiny in our own hands as opposed to have to relying on other teams. I really hope we can do it but I'm very nervous as the last few weeks of this long season with a smallish squad could take it's toll. COYR!
  • Just got back, its been a long night.

Havent trauled through everyones comments so apologise if im repeating.

Thought we played pretty well. Firstly, southampton, wasnt overly impressed by them at all. However, Lambert is the best player ive seen this season. His physical presence and hold up play is so vital to them.....thought they were abit of a lump it side.
    We did okay defensively, Sodje my pick of the back 4.
    Im not gonna concentrate too much on Lloyd Sam but i think he's got to be the most frustrating player ive ever seen!! if he cut inside one more time yesterday i think i was gonna rip my seat out. the guys got pace to burn....use it! wasnt double marked blah blah blah, so no excuses yesterday. Semedo played v well. Reid dangerous in patches. Forster was superb, led the line so well.
    Cant understand PP substitutions......

All in all unlucky, and if we play like that tuesday then we'll get the 3 points.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]There's been a lot of bollux written on this thread by people who didn't go to the match........

Special mention of the referee ......... no way was he biased. He didn't favour Southampton, and he didn't favour Charlton.
    He was just afraid to make any kind of decision. Basically he didn't know what day of the week it was, as the game passed him by - and eventually players on both sides did more or less whatever they thought they could get away with.

First of all we played a decent side in Southampton, who put us under a lot of pressure in the first 20 minutes without putting a shot on target.

After that, the game played out with both teams condensed into a narrow strip either side of the halfway line.
    Both teams suffocated each other in the safety of midfield.

Southampton always looked very quick on the break, with direct long balls and good running from Puncheon - but while they threatened from time to time, and Lloyd Sam did very well to head one off the line, Randolph overall had very little to do apart from a couple of easy collections, fielding a few catches and picking the ball out of the net. He didn't really need to make a save worthy of the name.

Charlton on the other hand, were much more ponderous on the break often allowing Southampton to get everybody behind the ball. But we did create some good opportunities, especially when we played on the floor - their keeper kept them in the game bringing off good reactionary saves several times from Bailey and Forster.

In my book we conceded a goal very poor defensively - even though it was a brilliant strike. Reid attacking wide left almost level with the angle of their box gave away posession cheaply, the big hoof cleared both midfield and our defence and fell into the path of the onrushing Antonio who blasted his shot into our net.

And that illustrates one difference between Reid and Sam - Reid more direct, but more frequently gives away the ball, sometimes like yesterday with disasterous consequences. Sam on the other hand doesn't seem to want to attack his man but doesn't lose the ball so easily and brings team mates into the game, retaining team posession.

I felt for Nicky Forster ploughing a lone furrow up front, with the superb Jose Fonte marshalling his defence well.
    Forster worked tirelessly, creating a couple of chances for himself out of nothing - one particularly when he robbed the defender in his own box, turned brilliantly to shoot on target, only to be thwarted by an equally good save.

Nicky Forster is wasted as a lone forward; in Burton's absence, why on earth isn't he teamed with Akpo?
    Akpo can go crashing in for the first ball and Forster with his neat turns and composure, can feed off the knockdowns and loose balls.

Special mention to Jonjo yesterday - he came on after 78 mins, went more or less left mid and soon settled down to make a very decent contribution, with good touch, vision and distribution. With more time on the park yesterday, he could have made a huge difference.

Bailey ran his nuts off yesterday and had a huge impact on the game - another day, those chances would have gone in for him. He was unlucky not to be our matchwinner.

This was a match against one of the very best sides in the division, but they were there for the taking - we should never have lost, were well worth a point, and really could and should have had all three.

The reason we didn't, was that we got caught on the break badly - and their keeper made a string of very good saves.

While they were good saves, they were pretty easy saves.

Both Bailey's headers were straight at Davis, yes he had to react quickly but if Bailey put it into a corner its a goal. And the chance he had in the 2nd half was a tight angle and he went for the near post where he wasn't going to beat Davis. He should have smashed it across the face of goal.

I thought your keeper made a couple of good saves, one from Lambert's free kick which was somehow given as a goal kick and a decent quick reaction down to his right from a Barnard snap shot.
  • How did Racon play?

Did Semedo avoid a booking?
  • No bookings for Semedo, Len.

Racon ...... nice touches from time to time, surrenders possession a bit too easily - yet just as likely to come up with a good pass which keeps the move flowing.

Just doesn't seem to impose himself on the game.