Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

vs. Southampton, Post Match Comments & Views

Comments

• and bailey steve,drop sam the guys not up for it
  • great to see some positive comments after a defeat. As has been said, roll on colchester.
    So galling losing to Pardew though. I can't face reading his condescending post match ramble.
  • looking forward to the play offs and with millwall second we may well win them!!
  • No reason to be too down about things today. We lost to a superior side and Leeds and Millwall were always going to win. A team aspiring for automatic promotion would have scored one of our chances today.
    All this talk of their keeper pulling off amazing saves is merely a smokescreen for our feeble attack. 2 goals in 3 games isn't good enough for a promotion seeking team.

Out of the automatic promotion picture now. The play offs is right for us, and most of us know that's where we deserve to be.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]looking forward to the play offs and with millwall second we may well win them!!

Could be right there nolly, missing the spanners could be good for us
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]Commentators say we gave a good performance. Will not fault Parky for his team selection or the players for the effort. Unlucky to lose 1 nil away to a team with a multimillion pound squad and who are likely to win this division next year. sounds like Bailey was our best player Parky was right to start him instead of Shelvey.

How can you justify that he missed more chances than jonjo did in the last game when he got caned. If he had to play bailey then sam should have been dropped. He changed a winning team and lost therefore i will fault his team selection

Oh dear!!
    Their keeper had something of a blinder...it happens sometimes.

So their keeper playing well justifies Jonjo being dropped ? No it doesn't, had we have won then that would make sense but to say it when we haven't won or even scored cant be right
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]we could be out the play offs by next saturday especially if we lose tuesday,considering it's Norwich after.We simple have to win Tuesday.

We could also be two points clear in 2nd by next saturday.
  • thankfully southampton had ten point deduction,could well be only eight behind us by the end.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]no where other people have there favourites soundas thinks the sun shines out of bailey's arris. I aint bovvered one way or the other just think Shelvey has to play end of.

Is that a fact...well yes I do think that on average he is our best player...though in the last month or two he's not been at the races and needs to get his finger out....hope the short rest will have done him good...as for thinking the sun shines out of his arse...How little you know me if you think that.
  • Sounds like we gave it our all against a decent side who continue to show that going into administration needn't be the punishment that the Football League like to think it is. If we had a few million knocking around I'm sure we would have been certs this season but some idiot spunked it all away after relegation from the Premier League. As it stands we have to do it the honest way! I am heartened by the effort and still think we can have a big say in how it all finishes. COYR!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]One or two ridiculous statments that Parky bottled it because he played Bailey....WTF.....this is the bloke who brought three top class match winning saves out of Davis............Did anyone else?
    Lloyd Sam another disgraceful performance or so I'm led to believe, anyone got adifferent opinion?

Maybe they should have been match winning goals. I'm sorry but jonjo got slaughtered for missing chanes on monday despite it being his first match in ages. Why is it different for bailey ?

Because some people are idiots. There is a difference between Bailey and Shelvey with their chances in that Bailey forced three saves from the goalkeeper, whereas two of Shelvey's chances on Monday were scuffed wide.

Still think booing Shelvey on Monday was wrong and completely out of order however.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]Commentators say we gave a good performance. Will not fault Parky for his team selection or the players for the effort. Unlucky to lose 1 nil away to a team with a multimillion pound squad and who are likely to win this division next year. sounds like Bailey was our best player Parky was right to start him instead of Shelvey.

How can you justify that he missed more chances than jonjo did in the last game when he got caned. If he had to play bailey then sam should have been dropped. He changed a winning team and lost therefore i will fault his team selection

Oh dear!!
    Their keeper had something of a blinder...it happens sometimes.

So their keeper playing well justifies Jonjo being dropped ? No it doesn't, had we have won then that would make sense but to say it when we haven't won or even scored cant be right

uncle what are you on about now? Where have I (or anyone else) said because their keeper had a blinder that it justified Jonjo being dropped....as a matter of fact I'd have liked to see Jonjo start today, he played well enough last week to have been in the line up.
    You do get some strange opinions at times re what folk think of Jonjo.
  • Can we put all the Shelvey stuff in one thread. Boring.
  • [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Can we put all the Shelvey stuff in one thread. Boring.
    Its ok, we only have to worry about it for 5 more games, then next season it'll be a non-issue!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Can we put all the Shelvey stuff in one thread. Boring.
    Its ok, we only have to worry about it for 5 more games, then next season it'll be a non-issue!

are we missing the play offs or going up automatically???
  • Amazing, a few minutes after a defeat and there are 40+ comments on the post match thread already.

For what it's worth a mate of mine who was at the game - and therefore had the benefit of actually watching it first hand and not having to go by iffy commentary or pre-conceived ideas of players strngths and weaknesses - texted me to say "F*** knows how we lost that". So, it would appear we were a bit unlucky. That's football.
  • That appears to be the feelings of most here anyway.
  • Yes...that's the opinion I got from a very good commentary on Charlton Player...they were Charlton fans (or at least sounded like it) whoever they were.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Amazing, a few minutes after a defeat and there are 40+ comments on the post match thread already.

For what it's worth a mate of mine who was at the game - and therefore had the benefit of actually watching it first hand and not having to go by iffy commentary or pre-conceived ideas of players strngths and weaknesses - texted me to say "F*** knows how we lost that". So, it would appear we were a bit unlucky. That's football.

That probably sums it up best. Now lets dust ourselves down and give Colchester a beating on Tuesday!
  • Wonder how many people who say when we don't play well and win that 'it's only the result that counts' will now be saying 'well it sounded like we played well and could have got something'?

Yes, overall it could be argued todays performance was ok but to me it's the attitude and tactics that stink. We are negative from the start and Parky either doesn't know any other way or he's bottled it as said. Not just today we've been playing like that for most games and it's been obvious for a while that we have set our stall out to limp in the playoffs and have not taken advantage of any chance of going for automatic.

Playoffs may still be a good effort for this season, and i did feel we were more likely for playoffs than automatic, but that's not the point. With our negative management which gets through to the players and the fans how can anybody believe we can put in cup final performances to win promotion when it counts? That's what worries me and overshadows any supposed positives from today. We start negative and mentally we don't seem capable of big performances.

Tuesday should be interesting. Lets hope Parky proves me wrong and puts out a team with some positivity and belief?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Amazing, a few minutes after a defeat and there are 40+ comments on the post match thread already.

funny that just spoke to dave mehmet who said our end ball weren't good enough.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    Yes, overall it could be argued todays performance was ok but to me it's the attitude and tactics that stink. We are negative from the start and Parky either doesn't know any other way or he's bottled it as said.

I presume you went then? How unlucky was Bailey with his chances?
  • Agree with above..sometimes these things happen.
    It's good to know that we played alright..especially against a strong side that has spent a considerable amount considering the league.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Amazing, a few minutes after a defeat and there are 40+ comments on the post match thread already.

funny that just spoke to dave mehmet who said our end ball weren't good enough.

Why's that "funny"? Sorry, I don't get you.
  • [cite]Posted By: Busterblitz[/cite]Agree with above..sometimes these things happen.
    It's good to know that we played alright..especially against a strong side that has spent a considerable amount considering the league.

I think they' managed to nick two or three players from under our noses Buster...Puncheon for one.
  • he didn't mention we were unlucky off it
  • Watching the Villa/Chelsea game and just get the feeling we'll be at Wembley in the not so distant future. COYR
  • Was there today, we did ok, probably deserved a goal and came
    close with a few chances. The 451 with Forster on his own just doesn't work. Akpo was a nuisance and with 442 we improved.

Fine saying Sam was poor, didn't have a good game, but he was hardly useless and more importantly, we have no real replacement. Wagstaff struggles when he starts and anyone else on the right will mean we lack width out there. Reid was no better, only more direct, so it seems because of that he gets less critism.

Without Burton it surely has to be 442, we'll struggle to create chances otherwise and only one mistake and we'll be 1-0 down.

Shelvey had some nice moments but not sure where to fit him into the team.

It's nothing to panic about but 2nd looks unlikely and we have two tough games coming up v Colchester and Norwich, which I'm not confident about.
  • Yes - away to Wembley in the first round of next season's FA Cup...
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    Yes, overall it could be argued todays performance was ok but to me it's the attitude and tactics that stink. We are negative from the start and Parky either doesn't know any other way or he's bottled it as said.

I presume you went then? How unlucky was Bailey with his chances?

Nope, one of the few games i've missed so can say that in general we are a negative team.
    Keeper saved them, is that unlucky? And since we've been extremely lucky during many of the wins we've had this season against the supposed lesser teams who didn't take there chances against us, i really don't think we can use luck or not with finishing as an excuse.

I'm looking at the bigger picture and maybe i am being too negative but Parky set the team out today for a draw hoping we could maybe get something on the break (as he did against the mighty Stockport) and even the sub later when he took Reid off and left Sam on showed he wanted to keep the supposed balance of the team over trying to do something positive and different to win the game.