Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Big Kent Derby: Charlton vs. Gillingham - Polls, Views, News

1235»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Gillingham are awful, our team have something to prove, we will brush them aside 4-0 and move to within 3 points of leeds when they only draw.

Can I have some of what you're on please! ;-)

Poor as we are, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we win and Leeds get no more than a draw (the 4-0 is a bit less likely, granted). If we're going to stumble into the top 2, it's weekends like this that need to go our way.
  • We will win.
  • Agree with Red Robin. This game should really be a win for us which will spell a great weekend no matter what the other results:

If Swindon or Millwall win it means the top 2 will have dropped points and moves us closer to them. Or if Norwich or Leeds win it means our play off rivals have dropped points creating a little gap between us and them.
  • My school was given free tickets for today's match so I'll be in the West Lower today trying really hard to not swear. This is such an important game.
  • we'll miss reid and wagstaff hardly feels me with much hope .... bit like most of them...miserable day please not a miserable result ..
  • Ha ha, Max Rushden on Soccer AM:

"Charlton versus Gillingham, sometimes referred to as 'The Kent Derby'"
  • 1-0 win. Frustrating affair, but a win.
  • Really hoping for an early goal like the Stockport game, as otherwise it could be a long and nervy afternoon.
  • Do it for Bob today, Charlton
  • We need a change of focus unless we are to stumble in and out of the play-offs (if we are that lucky). We don't have a bad squad and the faults highlighted for so many of the players are due to our shape and system, not the individuals. The main problem is that the defence keep taking the easy option of dropping deep and playing it long creating too much space in midfield so we can't dominate. We need pace at the back and a mindset to pass the ball out.

Robbie
    Semedo Sodje Sodje Borrowdale
    (never more than 10 yards behind)
    Sam Bailey Racon Reid
    Burton Mooney
  • Sponsored links:

• Sodje and Sodje, I take it that's a suggestion to take a gamble to get more pace in the defence, not a mistake?

Anyone know if Akpo's ever played centre back? Not that I like the idea of him in defence.
  • Hate to be the one to say this but its not a Kent derby its a Sout East London club against a Kent club. We are in SE7 i was born in SE7 therefore i am orginally from London not Kent hense i support a London club Charlton not a kent club Gillingham. Sorry WSS but if we start calling it a derby so will gills fans and its not a derby.
  • edited March 2010
    From Wikpedia
    When I was playing in Warri, I started as a defender. The coach whom I played under said I was fast and tall, and because of these qualities he saw in me, he converted me to a striker... I started playing in England when I was just about seven years old; and as I was growing up, I started from the lower divisions."
    —Sodje explains his early career.[1]

Probably football at seven is a bit different to now, but I can't remeber too many players being converted and being successful. In the old days we had killer (used to be a full back) Ronnie Moore (striker to CH). Deon Dublin I think did the same, amy more?
  • Thanks for explaining that to us Ru. We haven't considered that before. Glad you could clarify.
  • [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Probably football at seven is a bit different to now, but I can't remeber too many players being converted and being successful. In the old days we had killer (used to be a full back) Ronnie Moore (striker to CH). Deon Dublin I think did the same, amy more?
    Sol Campbell and Jon Fortune were strikers, Kevin Phillips was playing at right back.

A lot of young players change position, or at least experience a different position. Stavrinou was a centre back, but he was moved to central midfield. Wagstaff used to get games up front for the u18s. What was Kishishev's natural position? Played right back for years but then looked like he had always been a defensive midfielder.

Even Christian Dailly was considered a versatile player but now seen as a centre back, and of course Semedo went the other way, moved up the pitch rather than back. Zheng Zhi has played all over the place throughout his career, even centre back in China.
  • Charlton: Elliot, Richardson, Borrowdale, S Sodje, Dailly; Sam, Semedo, Racon Bailey; Mooney, Burton.

Subs: Randolph, Solly, Llera, Reid, Wagstaff, Shelvey, A Sodje.

Gillingham: Julian; Lewis, Nutter, Dennehy, Richards; Miller, Jackman, Weston, Barcham; Oli, Howe.

Subs: Royce, Payne, Bentley, Maher, Palmer, Jackson, Walker.

Ref: P Taylor

Reid on the bench, Bailey on the left. I doubt Reid's fully fit then. Burton back, good to see, I think Mooney is better off alongside a clever player in Burton than a powerful one in Akpo.
  • absolute joke jonjo not playing. don't know why we don't want to use our best players at this stage of the season.
  • Jackson on the bench for them...??
  • I really don't get Parky's tactics. Last week we were clueless and we've hardly been convincing recently yet we stick with 4-4-2. Really think with Burton coming back we should have gone 4-5-1, dominate the midfield and let Bailey push on. Let's be honest (and I hope he proves me wrong today) but Mooney hasn't looked like ever scoring and we simply don't have the luxury of being able to carry him for the game.

And Jackson took a knock last week so not 100% fit.
  • Jackson isnt fully fit for them, which is nice as he would be the one I'd see as the main goal threat. Not that we can relax but any loose balls in the box and I'd be more worried with him around...
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps with Reid not fit enough to start Parky doesn't want to go back to 4-5-1 with Bailey on the left.