Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Big Kent Derby: Charlton vs. Gillingham - Polls, Views, News

WSSWSS
edited March 2010 in General Charlton
After the debacle defeat of last week against our second biggest rivals in this league, we have a chance to put things right with a Kent derby against Gillingham. With what could potentially be the biggest crowd that we have seen at The Valley this season, Charlton fans will be demanding a win against their fellow Kent club.

The only positive that came out of last week was Southampton’s defeat of Leeds meaning that points-difference-wise we are no worse off than we were before the Millwall game. That being said, Swindon’s victory at St. Mary’s on Tuesday means all of the play-off places are separated by the smallest of margins.

A win is imperative.

I can see a “ringing-the-changes” type team selection from Mr Parkinson this week with Racon, Llera, Mooney. Sodje and Semedo at risk of being the sacrificial lambs dependant on formation. I’d be keen to convert back to 4-5-1 – reintroducing Shelvey (seriously, what has he got to do to get a game?) playing behind lone striker Deon.

There is no doubt we need a win against our fellow A2 inhabitants and yet again, as I’ve been saying for weeks, we need to do it in style. That being said, Gillingham have not won away all season so I see a 0-1 defeat and an atmosphere similar to what we experienced at Sheffield United last season.

:-(

Other Notable Fixtures

Leyton Orient v Huddersfield
Swindon v Norwich
Walsall v Colchester
Leeds United v Millwall (Monday)

Comments

• I feel that last saturdays defeat to Milwall at this point in the season will have broken the teams moral if they had any in the first place. They must now be doubting that they will get into th play offs let alone catch leeds. I will opt for 2-2 draw being the optimist I am.
  • 1-0 Gillingham written all over it even before the Millwall debacle.
  • Agree with WSS that Shelvey must start. I would prefer it to be in a 4-5-1, but even if we're going to persist with 4-4-2 I'd like to see him in there.
  • Heart says home win follwed by Leeds and Spanners draw

Head says horrible 1 0 defeat, Jills with no away wins, come on...
  • 3-0 to us shelvey hat trick if parky plays him ?
  • edited March 2010
    4-1.

We will go 1-0 up through a Deon header. Sam Sodje will rise powerfully in the area to make it 2 before half time.

We do our usual slip up just after half time as Simeon Jackson makes it 2-1 but Kyel Reid wins us a penalty which Burton coolly converts to make it 3-1. Shelvey to round off the win in the last 10 minutes.

----------------Elliot-----------------
    ---Solly-SSodje-Semedo-Youga---
    ---Wagstaff-Bailey-Racon-Reid---
    ---------------Shelvey---------------
    --------------Burton-----------------

Subs: Randolph, Richardson, Spring, Sam, ASodje, Llera, Mooney
  • i don't really view this as a derby in the same way i don't when we play welling.

the jills away form is as crap as you can get and despite riding a high after 0-0 at stockport last week,they really are a very poor team.realistically you'd fancy our u18's to give them a real football lesson and i'm sure after the debacle of millwall that parky has read the riot act to his own gutless side and that this week you can expect a better result from our alleged footballers.

1-2 to jills
  • 1-0 loss :(
  • What a game to save your first away victory as we are in such good form 2-0 to jillian....
  • We'll bounce back and win, tight game but we'll come away two goals the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously can't believe there are that many supporters out there that think we'll lose to Gillingham.
    They've not won away all season with an away goal difference of -26. We are 3rd, we've only lost twice at home all year with a home goal difference of +27.

The ultra negatives on here sound like you want us to lose, just so you can fulfill your fantasy of moaning and getting down on a team you apparently support!!!

3 pts in whatever way possible!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i don't really view this as a derby in the same way i don't when we play welling.

the jills away form is as crap as you can get and despite riding a high after 0-0 at stockport last week,they really are a very poor team.realistically you'd fancy our u18's to give them a real football lesson and i'm sure after the debacle of millwall that parky has read the riot act to his own gutless side and that this week you can expect a better result from our alleged footballers.

1-2 to jills

I don't see it as much of a 'derby' either, but there's enough recent animosity to give it an edge over most games. If nothing else, think how much scally would enjoy beating us and that's extra motivation in itself.

Narrow Charlton win.
  • pretty sure its ll sarcasm the derby talk, couldn't care less about gills, all I know is we need the 3 points big time
  • There are people who live in Kent who no doubt will care deeply about the Charlton / Gills game.
    I don't.
    Gillingham might start to register on my radar if we continue to play them each season for the next 3 or 4 years but until then they are way up there with Barnet and Brentford as teams that aren't too far away in distance but galaxies away from Palace and Millwall as rivals.
  • Remember a few years ago when they kicked us out the cup at there place.....
    I was in the bbc press box that day and met Curbs on the stairs before he talked to Tony Gubba...... 'ashen faced ' was the best I could say,
    Are the players up for it this time..... really cannot say at this time, still reeling from the weekends result.
  • edited March 2010
    i can't contemplate anything but a win but know we're more than capable of mucking this up .....
    i think, hope, pray we win this 1-0 but a clean sheet from blobby elliot is prolly too much of an ask against this crack outfit...
    just seen messi's goal for barca v stuttgart , does he really play the same sport as akpo???
  • First 20 mins will be nervous for the fans and players alike. If things are going ok then I expect us to go on and win by a couple of goals but if we are struggling during that period then I can see the crowd getting on their backs and then I just don't know how much character this team has to cope with that. I expect a 2 - 0 home win. Coyr.
  • I cant be sold on the whole derby thing!

As for the football, i just dont know... maybe have more of an idea after this match!?
  • nice one wss ....derby lol. will win at a canter no problem,no derby tension like millwall ,fancy us to beat someone bad soon.
  • Kent derbies two weeks in a row? ;)

After last week's I can't help but fear the worst, though :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends who plays. Mooney, Akpo & Llera start then we will lose 5-0. If Burton and Shelvey start, we will win 5-0.
  • this is gillingham at home,there awful hence the league postion,we will be judged on beating the likes of leeds and colchester if we are to get out of this poxy league we find ourselves in.
  • Two ways it could go, either the players pull their collective fingers out after last week's debacle and are fired up for it, winning convincingly, or we roll over completely and get tonked by F'cking Gillingham. I'm hedging my bets and will go for a 1-1 draw, the equaliser for either team coming very late.
  • [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]Two ways it could go, either the players pull their collective fingers out after last week's debacle and are fired up for it, winning convincingly, or we roll over completely and get tonked by Gillingham. I'm hedging my bets and will go for a 1-1 draw, the equaliser for either team coming very late.
  • edited March 2010
    I think it will be a comfortable win but then again i always do. I hope to christ he plays Jonjo but i wont hold my breath on it....Oh well hoping to Christ never worked
  • I Think we will win this one,Gillingham are poor away and wont have much about them.

At LEAST the players will have had time to get the Millwall game out of the system and know what's expected of them.
  • Win, feel your boots... Shelvey gets a start playing in behind Burton and a goal

3-1 or 4-2
  • 6 Changes
  • edited March 2010
    What's the betting Llera still starts on Saturday? I really think he will, think this could well be a 1-0 away win like people have predicted, with a horrible atmosphere of the crowd turning on the team(probably myself included) if the players just arn't putting the effort in. However that being said this could also be the point where the players decide that they need to get their act together and do what they say and overcome last weekend's despair and thrash Gillingham. Could also see a frustrating 1-1 or 2-2 draw with either ourselves our the Gills nicking it in the last minute. This game is so tough to call but think it will either be us winning comfortably, drawing agonisingly or losing narrowly.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think it will be a comfortable win but then again i always do. I hope to christ he plays Jonjo but i wont hold my breath on it

yep