Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall v Charlton Post Match Views

1235»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Where would you play him? Or would you drop him? Or go 4-5-1 to cover his (and others) weaknesses?

I do know what you mean, is it down to him trying to control the game when he's not capable of it, or something else?

I'd revert to 4-5-1 regardless of whether Bailey is played on the left or in the middle. He, like Semedo and Racon, aren't positionally good enough to make a 4-4-2 work. Either

Elliot
    Richardson Dailly Llera LB
    Sam Semedo Racon Bailey
    Shelvey
    Burton

or

Elliot
    Richardson Dailly Llera LB
    Sam Semedo Bailey Reid
    Shelvey
    Burton

I think the formation is the problem, not Bailey being on the left rather than in the middle.
  • When Bailey plays on the left, he naturally drifts inside. Happened so many times againt Wycombe away but they werent good enough to exploit it...plus we had Youga left back. Saturday it happened again....but poor old Solly got isolated and exploited (still our best player first half!). Cant play Bailey left mid, plus we have Reid anyway! Got to change it to 4-5-1.
  • Fair enough and I agree. Would go with the second team, perhaps with Sodje back for Llera so we have some pace in the centre of defence. Not that I'm really a fan of Sodje or Llera.

Semedo's problem for me is more that he's suited to playing just in front of the defence with two CMs in front of him, not in a two that need to attack as well as defend. He's all about defending and nothing else, which is fine, but limited, alongside the right players.

I think they're all talented central midfielders in this league, but have to agree it's that positioning and reading of the game that lets them down and means they can't control the midfield. Probably one of the main reasons they aren't good Championship midfielders and just decent ones on their day.
  • edited March 2010
    The game brought home the reality to me that we are not going up & the Play-off's even if we make them will only extend the season by another two games.

I really thought we would make it this season even after watching some average at best displays as times, Saturday was a real eye opener though & I now think we have not got a prayer. :-(
  • No shots on target in a massive local derby.
  • The left is a problem until we get Youga back. Reid and Jackson linked up well together, I reckon Youga and Reid will do the same, noth left footed, but of pace to beat people and a bit of skill to beat them too.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]The left is a problem until we get Youga back. Reid and Jackson linked up well together, I reckon Youga and Reid will do the same, noth left footed, but of pace to beat people and a bit of skill to beat them too.
    Would help and we have missed Youga. Maybe we'll hear more on his fitness this week.
  • Kelly has definitely been missed ... but even if fit, it will take 2-3 weeks to get back to full match fitness.
  • Thankfully I'm off to Frankfurt in a couple of hours for the week ... no-one's heard of Millwall in the office there so I can try to forget about the game.
  • I said to my brother before the game I had a feeling the majority of the players would bottle it and they did just that. Apart from Semedo they all seemed nervous when in possession and lacked the confident to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Ist goal. Why the f--k did we have no one on the far post from a corner?? Robbie has to take responibility for the that as a keeper (unless he is told not to by management??)

Not gonna get on Chris Solly's back about the 2nd goal as he was playing out of position and I actually felt he had a decent first half. The lad is a good player will be better for the experience of saturday.

3rd goal. My brother got it spot on with regards to Llera and that Parky should have got him off at half time. After 20 minutes you could see he was gonna have one of those games (i.e Colchester) and should have got him off at half time. What the hell he was playing at for the 3rd goal god only knows.

4th goal. Yet again defence all over the place.

Confused by Parky's line up. Playing a centre midfielder on the left hand side, a left winger on the right and leaving out our one player in the whole squad who can hold the ball up front (Burton).

For me Bailey has got to start in the centre from now on to the end of the season and encouraged to do what he does best and that is getting in the box as much as possible. The bloke is wasted on the left and playing the holding role in the centre.
    Burton has to come back in the side in place of Mooney (sorry he is just not good enough).

Team for sat:

Robbie

Richardson
    Sodje
    Dailly
    Youga (if fit, if not Solly)

Reid (on the left parkinson!!!)
    Semedo
    Bailey
    Jonjo (on the right)

Burton
    Sodje
  • Sponsored links:

• I just don't understand why our most dangerous player for the last two months, who's completely left footed and has pace and ability, was switched over to the right hand side which nullified his threat and unbalanced the side.

Bailey should play centre midfield, with Semedo and Shelvey, put Reid out left, Sam out right and play Deon up front on his own but tell Shelvey and Bailey they should busting their bollox to get into the penalty area and do what they do better than any other players we have in the squad - that's right, SHOOOOOOOOOOT!

Solly looks like a little boy lost and we need Kelly back pronto. Llera is awful when he comes up against a quick strong centre forward, and so I'd bring back Sodje - he's the best of the two bad liabilities.

However, I think most people on here are right - Parky's got limitations, like our squad does. However, Jackett manages to get the most out of his on paper, far less talented bunch of spanners than Phil ever has out of our mob consistently.

Millwall wanted it, we didn't. And don't worry - come the play-offs, other sides will want it more than us too.
  • Missed the game on purpose, in Bruges for the weekend, as we strongly suspected what was coming and it did.

Just seen the goals.

Llera looked at fault for the first, as he let Ward run off him and get in a free header (looked like Llera to me).

Solly was skinned for the 2nd and Dailly unlucky trying to clear it.

Llera gave away the 3rd with that Pass ?

Llera gave away the 4th with the running under the ball and missing the header completely.

I know I wasn't there, but looked like a re run of the Colchester away Llera horror show.

We lost 3-0 there due mainly to him and looks like similar on Saturday.

In fairness to Llera he has been one of our better players recently.
  • It was after I booked to go to Gran Canaria that I realised I was gonna miss this one, with the amount of spanners disappointment I've suffered over the years I was quietly relieved I wasn't doing the 290 mile round trip for this game as I knew for a fact it was gonna end in tears long before bedtime (I predicted 3-1 defeat btw)...

I seen some real battles over the years with some 'real' Charlton players but for some reason they always seem to manage to raise their game just that bit more...

All we can really pray for is that we don't meet them in either the play-offs at any stage coz that will hurt even more...
  • I have just remembered...

Goal Music

Easy Easy Easy chants

Bit like going to Palace.
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]However, I think most people on here are right - Parky's got limitations, like our squad does. However, Jackett manages to get the most out of his on paper, far less talented bunch of spanners than Phil ever has out of our mob consistently.
    Millwall are far less talented? Surely they're a decent top 6 side who have a chance of automatic promotion? Much like us really. Some won't like it, but I don't think there's a huge gap in ability between the two teams.
  • Agree with Scoham here. Thought the teams were quite evenly matched apart from two key positions. They had Ward we had Llera, They had Morrison we had Mooney. Maybe we've got more options in Midfield.

If we'd not conceded that first goal it just might of been different, as it was we ended up having to chase the game with two powder puff strikers and two painfully slow CBs.

Still doesn't excuse the complete lack of character shown by the team after the second went in though.
  • Anyone seen our wiki page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Athletic_F.C.

not impressed!
  • Have removed the Millwall - Charlton detail from the page
  • I don't think most would see Gillingham as our rivals i.e. not a must see game, Millwall and Palace yes, Gillingham no