Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shops you no longer see

1181920212224»

Comments

• Williams Furniture Shops - 'When you walk through the door, your pounds worth more . . . at Williams where else'.
  • I don’t know what any of you are talking about with your stamps chatter, unless they’ve got the queens head on them and go in postboxes then I can only surmise that I am far younger than you all
  • Any Maidstonians on here? Sportique in Gabriel's Hill was a brilliant little sports shop, was it a one off store or were there others? Also, Hubble and Freeman, not many shops in town that sold full size snooker tables. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    I don’t know what any of you are talking about with your stamps chatter, unless they’ve got the queens head on them and go in postboxes then I can only surmise that I am far younger than you all
    It was like the nectar card of the day. Except that where Nectar is totally shit because the discounts and offers given are so heavily outweighed by the premium pricing of its member organisations, Green Shield was actually useful in allowing working class families to obtain stuff which although cheap today, would have been quite a drain on the pay packets of the time. At one stage it seemed like practically everything in our house came from either green shield stamps of Player's cigarette coupons. The co-op had a similar system too, but you could only use it in their stores. If you lived close enough to the big RACs store in Woolwich that was probably fine, but if you just had a little provincial Co-op nearby you'd just get discounted tins of peaches.

• My Mum had so many of those green shield stamps we could have wallpapered the house with them.
  • Oh was it a WW2 thing? Think we did it in history??
  • You may be getting confused with rationing.
  • Stig said:
    You may be getting confused with rationing.
    Or bombing.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Oh was it a WW2 thing? Think we did it in history??

We used to count them in the air raid shelter.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Oh was it a WW2 thing? Think we did it in history??

We used to count them in the air raid shelter.
    Oh yes, the hours used to fly by almost as quickly as the Luftwaffe.
  • Sponsored links:

• said:
    Still a Kwik Save in Belvedere close to B&Q. 
    Really, I'm amazed, the only one I ever knew was at Bromley South

Went past on Sunday, definitely still there! 
  • Blockbusters.

• - Do it all’s
    - Blockbuster Videos
    - Champion Sport - my first Saturday job was at the one in Burtons in the Bexleyheath Broadway

Not a shop - but the Yellow Submarine fish and chip shop at the end of Earshall Road in Eltham - the woman serving in there had the dirtiest finger nails you’d ever seen - still used to go in there! 

Can we add nightclubs to the thread...? 

- Stars in Greenwich, great to head up to the “old seats” if you pulled! 

- Bridewells in Dartford, cheesy music and chicken and chips in a basket

- T’s in Erith - slow songs as the end, last chance to pull! 

- The Buzzbar in Leicester Sq - a club before clubs opened - finished at 11pm

- The City Ale and Wine Bar (near Tower Hill) - everyone was smashed before 9pm

Cor, dear me! Now we are going back!

I had forgotten all about Stars in Greenwich, I only went there once and I must have been about 18 but being stunned that there were girls in there from my old secondary school that I knew were about 14, it was like a ------- school disco!!!
  • Probably already even mentioned but John Menzies and C&A spring to mind (although you can still find C&A in Countries like France and Germany).
  • edited September 2020
    meldrew66 said:
     Cloud 9 records, Sidcup

Yeah, baby!

I must have done at least three years free advertising up to London and back for Cloud 9. Their carrier bags were just the right size for my lunch and fanzine. And I loved that shop.
  • Stig said:
    That is brilliant. I like the way he has to take it out of the shop on a sack barrow, couldn't they have thrown in a free delivery?  And what if a player won a few of them in a season, they'd have had to go down the market like Del Boy flogging them off.
    My God! I used to love just the smell of those stacking systems. I used to always be popping in the Dixons and Currys to check out the latest models.

Golf Addick bought a superb one in the mid eighties which he used to sit in front of and play around with whilst listening to music. They were great with their multiple knobs and buttons, and flashing lights. Back then, you would listen to music with a friend whilst admiring the hifi and album sleeves.
    Then you could stack another level on and do it some more 😉.

In the late eighties I bought my own with my hard earned money and I spent literally weeks, probably over a month hovering around shops in order to get the one I liked most. It had double speed dubbing on it which helped with all the copies we swapped between friends.

Music was so much more physical in those days. We've lost something magical down the line.
  • Wilko homeware chain on brink of collapse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66395824
  • Williams Furniture Shops - 'When you walk through the door, your pounds worth more . . . at Williams where else'.
    And I still remember the school playground chant:

When you walk through the door, you fall through the floor....