Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• The Iron Claw

I missed it at the cinema, and as Amazon Prime are doing for free at the moment, took advantage of it.

Not quite sure what to say really, based on a true story, first hour all good and positive, 2nd half things got worse and worse, not sure if this parallels with Charlton in recent seasons.
  • Deadpool and Wolverine!!

As you'd expect really from past Deadpool films, best Marvel film since EndGame by a LONG WAY!!
  • Deadpool and Wolverine!!

As you'd expect really from past Deadpool films, best Marvel film since EndGame by a LONG WAY!!
    Marks out of 10 FA?
  • Directed by Guy Ritchie, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare 

Over the top re-hash of a true incident but an enjoyable watch 
  • Not a new release .. 'The Courier' .. stars Benedict Cumberbatch, watched on iPlayer .. the story of Greville Wynne, a British 'businessman' nicked by the KGB  for spying .. the usual all out performance from Cumberbatch .. pretty harrowing in parts i m o  but enjoyable
  • The Iron Claw

I missed it at the cinema, and as Amazon Prime are doing for free at the moment, took advantage of it.

Not quite sure what to say really, based on a true story, first hour all good and positive, 2nd half things got worse and worse, not sure if this parallels with Charlton in recent seasons.
    Thought it was excellent when I saw it at the cinema. 
  • Carter said:
    The bikeriders 

It is an odd film, Jodie Comer, Tom Hardy, Austin Butler, Michael Shannon and Norman Reedus all good. It doesn't really go anywhere, I think it must be loosely based on Hunter S Thomsons book and it watches like a film of a diary. I think in years to come it night become a bit of a cult film, its well shot, the action scenes are good and the dialogue is solid. I like choppers and the whole culture around 1% biker gangs, a good mate of mine is in one, he's mental but I completely get the appeal of the brotherhood and this film captures that well

7/10
    I enjoyed it, however Jodie Comer’s accent was extraordinarily annoying. It felt slightly derivative of Sons of Anarchy. 
  • Watched the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the week for a bit of fun, pretty funny and light entertainment. Bet kids would love it, its very on top of current trends and references. Only complaint would be I wish there was more ninja-ing haha, wasn't a lot of actual fighting in the film. 7.5/10

Had a look after and it seems they sold an unbelievable amount of merch off the back of it so should be more films and i think a TV Show to come off the back of it. 
  • Deadpool Wolverine. Very funny.

The extra at the start of the credits is fun.

There’s an in-joke with the title of the shop they crash into. 
  • Planet of the apes 

Visually incredible, as are all of the new planet of the apes films in fairness but this one is amazing to look at. Its clearly setting up the next film which I will be dialled in for. 

The plot is a bit nebulous, this film is long but packed with action and the human female lead does ok but is also a bit of a massive twat. I loved Proximus Caesar the main bad guy. Missus didn't like it and she loved all the other films, I might be just obsessing over how good the visual effects were but I liked it. A bit more work could have gone into the ending but it does set up another film well

8/10 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare 

Loved it, like all Guy Ritchie films there is some sharp dialogue, its excellently filmed good cast. I'm glad Danny Sapani got a good crack, I've always liked him since he popped up in ultimate force 20 plus years ago. Henry Cavil was good but the Danish guy who played the utter lunatic stole the show along with the smoking hot girl who was the female lead. The main Nazi was suitably horrible too. 

Another 8 /10 

I'd love Guy Ritchie to make some more gangster films but fair play to him for having a go at stuff like this 
  • Carter said:
    The Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare 

Loved it, like all Guy Ritchie films there is some sharp dialogue, its excellently filmed good cast. I'm glad Danny Sapani got a good crack, I've always liked him since he popped up in ultimate force 20 plus years ago. Henry Cavil was good but the Danish guy who played the utter lunatic stole the show along with the smoking hot girl who was the female lead. The main Nazi was suitably horrible too. 

Another 8 /10 

I'd love Guy Ritchie to make some more gangster films but fair play to him for having a go at stuff like this 
    Eiza Gonzalez is insanely fit 
  • Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

Oh mate, every scene she was in especially dressed as cleopatra. Smoking hot doesn't do her justice 
  • edited July 26
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Beverly Hills Cop 4

I don't know why I pressed play on this. Outside of Shrek I haven't watched a good Eddie Murphy movie in decades. But fuck me am I glad I did. I laughed out loud a dozen times in the first act alone. It's a very knowing script and while it is a legacy sequel that feels compelled to make references to plot beats of the past, it's really quite smart in the way it does it (my highlight being Foley starting off a blag before realising he's too old and tired to bother). 

I didn't realise Murphy could tap into Foley's character in this way - I felt like I was watching the return of the character, and not just Murphy playing himself. 

It has a proper 80s crime plot, Kevin Bacon enjoying being the 80s-style villain and sprinles of maturity that make it way better than a pastiche of the original movies. This is way, way better than I expected it to be, or than it has any right to be given the amount of legacy sequels that have totally failed to work - including Murphy's own Coming 2 America. I recommend! 

12/15
    I might give it a go. Any film higher than 6 out of 7.5 is well worth watching.
  • Carter said:
    Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

Oh mate, every scene she was in especially dressed as cleopatra. Smoking hot doesn't do her justice 
    She's changed a lot! https://www.reddit.com/r/trueratecelebrities/comments/14fbays/eiza_gonzalez_before_and_after_cosmetic_procedures/
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

She's changed a lot! https://www.reddit.com/r/trueratecelebrities/comments/14fbays/eiza_gonzalez_before_and_after_cosmetic_procedures/
    Why! Why would you do that?

I hope you’re happy
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

What the...
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

She will go all the way to the very top. Anyone prepared to essentially buy a new face is as dedicated and gives me the same vibes that Darius did on pop idols when he sang Britney Spears 
  • Deadpool & Wolverine

Genuinely funny, total mess. What I like about the first two movies is that Deadpool managed to do his schtick while still being at the centre of a decent plot. The plot in this one gives way to an over abundance of MCU jokes. The balance is totally off. They’re good jokes but there’s so many of them the film seems to forget that it needs to standalone from all that stuff. 

As a result the fight sequences become tiresome as the stakes are nonexistent and the villain is given so little to do it’s bizarre. It is the best MCU movie in years, but most of those films have always been 3/5 and this is no different. 

My biggest gripe is that, no matter how funny the opening sequence is, they do piss on the Logan grave and by the end I was like, saying ‘we found a way of not undermining Logan’ doesn’t mean they didn’t undermine Logan. They absolutely did.

Funny but flawed. 

5/15
  • After an early start this morning doing some heavy jobs in the garden i treated myself to 2 films this afternoon 

Deadpool & Wolverine 

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is funny, enigmatic as per usual. @JiMMy 85 summed it up quite succinctly and I cant add too much more. There isn't really a plot to speak of, I loved the cameos/star turns from some familiar faces. The breaking of the 4th wall that goes on is amusing, the knob gags are aplenty. I did realise how much Matthew Mcfayden bears an alarming resemblance to Kevin Spacey. 

It was fun and was clearly made with tongue planted firmly in cheek, I don't care much for the Marvel stuff really but this was fun and the film flew by. 

7/10 

A Quiet Place day one 

I love this series/franchise. By virtue of what the films feature they lean heavily on jump scares and they worked, I nearly shit myself at one point even though anyone with eyes knew what was coming. Both human leads carried the film well however the star of the show was Frodo the cat, the films co-lead gave some gebuone heavyweight emotional impact however the cat acting punctuated the gravitas and was a very good boy 

8.5/10 
  • Sponsored links:

• Deadpool & Wolverine. 

First full family trip to the cinema in about a decade (Mrs SB detests adverts etc to the point of cutting nose off to spite face)!  She and both our  grown up sons are massive Marvel fans. I dip in and out but loved then first two Deadpool movies. They thought this one was really good. I was less impressed but stopped short of hating it. It was all a bit too “Mad Max” for me which I hadn’t expected.  The deadpool humour was there although there seemed to be a competition to see how much swearing they could get into two hours and the violent scenes  of which there are thousands were pretty gratuitous and formulaic.  I don’t mind swearing or violence in my movies but this  just all seemed a bit much. I tuned out in parts. Interestingly for the blockbuster of the summer there were about 15 people in the cinema. And how much popcorn and other unhealthy shit now costs was an absolute eye opener. It was a pleasant enough trip but I won’t be racing to watch this one again (although I may not be the best judge). 5/10. 
  • Carter said:

Another 8 /10 

Watched this and agree, thoroughly enjoyable. Completely inaccurate from a historical perspective, so heads up for the WW2 buffs. 

Alan Ritchson character did steal the show, which is surprising considering how wooden he is in Jack Reacher. 

An easy watch - 7.5/10
  • I enjoyed Longlegs, but there were pretty large plot holes (or things that you just had to unquestioningly accept).
  • Took the kids to Despicable Me 4 at the weekend.  Easy watching, entertaining enough but definitely law of diminishing returns in the series (loved the first one).  Kids enjoyed it.

Then me and my eldest went to see Kensuke's Kingdom, she was excited as she'd read the book earlier in the year.  Really good - felt almost old fashioned - hand drawn, quiet, simple, and quite short (84 mins).  Sweet story and a nice message.  Can imagine it being a Sunday afternoon cold, rainy day family film.
  • Not a recent film but Flushed Away was on tv earlier. Hands down the funniest animated film ever, so many quality lines in it. Just brilliant.
  • edited August 19
    Alien Romulus 

What started out as a great update to the original with cheeky references to the other films ( 1- Prometheus) quickly ended up being something closer to a combined rehash of Alien, Aliens and Alien Resurrection.

Was still a very good watch and loved seeing the classic set designs of massive PC monitors and chunky keyboards.

Probably 6/ 10 

I can't stretch to 7, that line killed it for me, you know the one....

• Alien Romulus 

What started out as a great update to the original with cheeky references to the other films ( 1- Prometheus) quickly ended up being something closer to a combined rehash of Alien, Aliens and Alien Resurrection.

Was still a very good watch and loved seeing the set designs of massive PC monitors and chunky keyboards.

Probably 6/ 10 

I can't stretch to 7, that line killed it for me, you know the one....

Yeah that line was really unnecessary, otherwise I really enjoyed it, especially the massive inconsistencies in the blood/acid which puts it on a par with all the other films….
  • Was hoping Alien would be really good. Will still go to see it as have seen all the others...but won't expect to be amazed.
    Thanks for the reviews. Definitely appreciated 
  • Does anybody know when "Horizon" part 2 is released here in the UK? Thanks
  • Saw a preview screening of "Cuckoo" last night - released later this week I believe. It was "OK ". End of review :)