Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Salad said:
    TTSS - a case of the emperor's new clothes I thought - disappointing
    Saw this last night. Wasn't concentrating adequately and was totally lost by the end but what a cast!
  • Carter said:
    Under Paris 

A French film, in French and helpfully and often hilariously dubbed. The plot is fairly simple and one not entirely explained but whatever. A massive super intelligent, self breeding shark gets into the stinking river Seine that runs through Paris and all hell breaks loose.

I loved this film, it was stupid, it had all the stereotypes in, had some scenes where I had to pause as I was laughing so much and I put that down to the direction, it knows what it is and it embraces it. Also has a quality ending 

It is what it claims to be and doesn't try to be clever. Thoroughly recommended 

7/10
    My Mrs said pretty much the same. Ill have a look
  • Loved Under Paris. Cheered the sharks on and laughed in delight at the mayhem at the end. 
  • Green Border - 7.5/10

In early 2021, Belarusian dictator, Alexander Lukashenko sought to provoke Europe and retaliate for sanctions by luring refugees to the Belarus/Polish border by falsely promising them easy passage into the EU. Ruthlessly turned back by the Polish border guards, the refugees became pawns in a brutal geopolitical and humanitarian crisis and struggled to survive in freezing conditions.

Agnieszka Holland’s drama about Europe’s migrant crisis could hardly be more topical, with the dehumanisation of refugees a key feature in anti-migrant rhetoric. It’s a very well crafted film with multiple, inter-related strands but I found it an extremely tough watch. It’s also a lengthy one at 152 minutes. An admirable piece of work but not a film that will be to everyone’s taste.

• The Truth vs Alex Jones is on Sky Documentaries. It follows the parents of children killed in the Sandy Hook massacre as they attempt to sue the denier Alex Jones in court. They talk about their experiences of the denial in the aftermath of losing their children, and the doc also covers the court case with footage from inside the court. It's a gripping watch and a grim portrayal of one of the most immoral public figures of modern times. 
  • Fall Guy
    Nearly gave up on it after the first hour. Was hoping for an easy watch but was really struggling. Definitely picked up and became enjoyable in the second hour but overall probably a 6/10

Copa 71
    'On BBC Iplayer for anyone interested. A documentary about the 1971 Women's World cup. A very interesting and quite unknown story. A story of the struggles faced by Women's football. Despite 110,000 people rocking up for the final, FIFA refused to recognise the tournament.
  • Anyone seen the, Bikeriders? Thinking of seeing it on Thursday?
  • edited June 25
    Anyone seen the, Bikeriders? Thinking of seeing it on Thursday?
    Yes. Quite good. A little long but a decent watch. 

Tom Hardy same sort of character as you’d expect. 

I agree - I thought it was pretty good. Jodie Comer’s American accent is a bit odd but I can forgive her anything.

Thanks.

Yes, some actors become very predictable but is that them or how they are directed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Inside Out 2
    Saw it with my daughters last night. They both loved the original but they've grown a lot since then. The oldre one identified a lot with Riley, but they both saod the Spanish overdub didn't help with the comedy, and in a pretty full cinema there were very few times when people laughed (for those who saw the first one - think about that hilarious dream sequence where fear passes out. There was next to nothing like that.)
    Overall I liked it, and after some fairly average stuff from pixar in recent years, it was definately a step in the right direction, but it seemed to have a fairly dull middle section where it was just plodding along with the story, but without being really entertaining. I'll see it in English when I can and see how much of a factor the language was a factor.
    7/10
  • Inside Out 2
    Saw it with my daughters last night. They both loved the original but they've grown a lot since then. The oldre one identified a lot with Riley, but they both saod the Spanish overdub didn't help with the comedy, and in a pretty full cinema there were very few times when people laughed (for those who saw the first one - think about that hilarious dream sequence where fear passes out. There was next to nothing like that.)
    Overall I liked it, and after some fairly average stuff from pixar in recent years, it was definately a step in the right direction, but it seemed to have a fairly dull middle section where it was just plodding along with the story, but without being really entertaining. I'll see it in English when I can and see how much of a factor the language was a factor.
    7/10
    Think 7/10 is fair - I enjoyed it, it explored teenage peer pressure, anxiety etc well, and it made me (and my kids) laugh.

But it wasn't as funny, poignant or (importantly) original as the first film (which I absolutely loved) - felt like more of the same as times as well.
  • Inside Out 2
    7/10
    Think 7/10 is fair - I enjoyed it, it explored teenage peer pressure, anxiety etc well, and it made me (and my kids) laugh.

But it wasn't as funny, poignant or (importantly) original as the first film (which I absolutely loved) - felt like more of the same as times as well.
    Thought it was okay but a bit formulaic.
  • Horizon the Kevin Costner ‘western’. 

It’s long at c3 hours with several intertwining stories. There is ‘chapter 2’ in August to pull the story together as it does not reach a conclusion at all. 

It’s more of a TV series binge watch at the cinema. 

If you like the genre it’s good but you are signing up to a second visit in August. 
  • Blucher said:

I agree - I thought it was pretty good. Jodie Comer’s American accent is a bit odd but I can forgive her anything.

I really enjoyed it - liked the pacing of the film. Got across the nihilistic nature of the motorbike gangs.
  • Despicable Me 4.
    Tired overdone nonsense. This film is truely bad unless you are a five year old, and the empty cinema said a lot about what people were expecting. The first film in the series was hilarious - Gru was a great baddy and the minions were wildly amusing with their playful psychotic behaviour and the interaction with the three orphans and evil Vector made a great romp. 
    Four films later and Gru and his wife are boring, the French villain was incredibly annoying, and the baby just another unfunny plot line. Only the minions made the film flicker into life occasionally, but ten minutes in I was praying the film would be short, and my younger daughter admitted afterwards that she wuld have happily left half way through given a chance.
    2/10
  • Fly me to the moon

A very lightweight romcom starring Channing Tatum and Scarlett Johansson about the Apollo 11 launch program. An interesting storyline that should have offered more.

It's okay.

5/10
  • Despicable Me 4.
    Tired overdone nonsense. This film is truely bad unless you are a five year old, and the empty cinema said a lot about what people were expecting. The first film in the series was hilarious - Gru was a great baddy and the minions were wildly amusing with their playful psychotic behaviour and the interaction with the three orphans and evil Vector made a great romp. 
    Four films later and Gru and his wife are boring, the French villain was incredibly annoying, and the baby just another unfunny plot line. Only the minions made the film flicker into life occasionally, but ten minutes in I was praying the film would be short, and my younger daughter admitted afterwards that she wuld have happily left half way through given a chance.
    2/10
    I saw it at Leicester Square this afternoon. Well I say I saw it but I’d been to a bottomless Asian tapas meal with the family via a pub first and after and fell asleep after about 10 minutes and only woke up at the end. So glad I’d paid for premium 3D seats 
    Saw it yesterday. A distinct lack of originality but it was okay.
  • Babylon
    Seems to have come out in 2022 so 'latest' is a bit of a push but just turned up on my cable service and as it had Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie so I gave it a whirl despite the less than glowing reviews. Personally I loved it. 3h but didn't seem overy long. Acting was great, the backdrops were spectacular and the twists and turns exciting.
    Some of the soundtrack reminded me of La La Land, and in it's own dirty way, it did feel like a 1920's versioon of that, but as if whoever directed Saltburn was helping with the plot as there were some pretty dusgusting scenes salted in there. 
    I would heartily recommend it but it will definately not suit everyone - the reviews alone suggest that there is enough to dislike if this isn't your cup of tea, and reports of people walking out of theatres, but I thought it was great.
    8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 17
    Babylon
    Seems to have come out in 2022 so 'latest' is a bit of a push but just turned up on my cable service and as it had Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie so I gave it a whirl despite the less than glowing reviews. Personally I loved it. 3h but didn't seem overy long. Acting was great, the backdrops were spectacular and the twists and turns exciting.
    Some of the soundtrack reminded me of La La Land, and in it's own dirty way, it did feel like a 1920's versioon of that, but as if whoever directed Saltburn was helping with the plot as there were some pretty dusgusting scenes salted in there. 
    I would heartily recommend it but it will definately not suit everyone - the reviews alone suggest that there is enough to dislike if this isn't your cup of tea, and reports of people walking out of theatres, but I thought it was great.
    8/10
    Weird. I just finished watching it 1 minute ago.
    I agree with your review, just wish the film was a bit shorter.
  • Babylon
    8/10
    Weird. I just finished watching it 1 minute ago.
    I agree with your review, just wish it was a bit shorter.
    It was a good length review 😁
  • Babylon
    8/10
    It was made by Damien Chazelle, who wrote/ directed La La Land and he works with Justin Hurwitz on all of his musical scores. I really like what those two do together, although I still haven't got around to Babylon for some reason. Chazelle's First Man and Whiplash are fantastic! 
  • Blucher said:

I thought Jodie Comer was amazing. Worth seeing the film for her, although it's too long and I didn't really care what was going on - but then I'm not into bikes or violent hairy bikeriders. Jodie Comer, now that's another thing entirely!
  • Nadou said:
    Blucher said:

I thought Jodie Comer was amazing. Worth seeing the film for her, although it's too long and I didn't really care what was going on - but then I'm not into bikes or violent hairy bikeriders. Jodie Comer, now that's another thing entirely!
    I was looking forward to seeing this.. but was totally disappointed with it tbh
  • The bikeriders 

It is an odd film, Jodie Comer, Tom Hardy, Austin Butler, Michael Shannon and Norman Reedus all good. It doesn't really go anywhere, I think it must be loosely based on Hunter S Thomsons book and it watches like a film of a diary. I think in years to come it night become a bit of a cult film, its well shot, the action scenes are good and the dialogue is solid. I like choppers and the whole culture around 1% biker gangs, a good mate of mine is in one, he's mental but I completely get the appeal of the brotherhood and this film captures that well

7/10
  • Beverly Hills Cop 4

I don't know why I pressed play on this. Outside of Shrek I haven't watched a good Eddie Murphy movie in decades. But fuck me am I glad I did. I laughed out loud a dozen times in the first act alone. It's a very knowing script and while it is a legacy sequel that feels compelled to make references to plot beats of the past, it's really quite smart in the way it does it (my highlight being Foley starting off a blag before realising he's too old and tired to bother). 

I didn't realise Murphy could tap into Foley's character in this way - I felt like I was watching the return of the character, and not just Murphy playing himself. 

It has a proper 80s crime plot, Kevin Bacon enjoying being the 80s-style villain and sprinles of maturity that make it way better than a pastiche of the original movies. This is way, way better than I expected it to be, or than it has any right to be given the amount of legacy sequels that have totally failed to work - including Murphy's own Coming 2 America. I recommend! 

12/15
  • Yeah I really enjoyed the new Beverly Hills Cop. As you say, very 80’s and they got the nostalgia spot on. Soundtrack is great as well, right mix of new and old, cool and cheese. Good fun.
  • Just saw "where the crawdads sing" from a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it, strong performances. Just not sure how convincing it would be. A young girl raised alone in a marsh in north Carolina isn't to end up like that girl. She's going to end up like the banjo player from Deliverance. That aside, well worth seeing
  • Another thumb's up, for Beverley Hill Cop 4 from me.