Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:
    Napoleon - Brilliantly shot, perfectly acted but incapable of getting across detail. The more you know about Napoleon the more you will probably get out of the film. 

I've often thought that biopics can struggle when trying to tell a broad story from an individual's life. It's partly why I liked Ali so much - Michael Mann focussed on two years from the Muhammad Ali's life that arguably defined him. This is the total opposite - Ridley Scott and writer Dave Scarpa skip between events that they presumably feel defined Napoleon, and while the relationship with his wife was fairly well explained, we're dropped into the battle stuff with little context. Broad stroke stuff really. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that, but because I was on my own in the cinema, I got my phone out and Wiki'd him during the movie so I could get a better understanding of where he was and why he was there. 

The film's poster has the tagline "he came from nothing, he conquered everything" but this film does not explicitly show either of those things, particularly the former as he's a general (I think) when the movie starts, and the latter isn't very clear as the camera is always on Napoleon, and rarely anybody else. 

Still, I was entertained by it all and got enough to feel like I know more about the life and times of Napoleon than before I went in. Scott is doing a hell of a job at his age! 

I award this movie 200 schmeckles. 

I am looking forward to Napoleon, have always found French Revolution and Napoleons Campaigns a fascinating era of history.

• Not a new film, but rewatched A Canterbury Tale on big screen last night. One of the best ww2 films and in my top films in general.
  • Napoleon - underwhelmed. It was fine but not a classic in my opinion. 

Some very good battle scenes to be fair. 

7/10
  • edited November 2023
    Watched The Little Mermaid the other day. More my wife wanting to watch it than me but I must admit, it was better than I expected. Quite well acted and I liked that the animals were realistic looking. The actress who played Ariel has a great voice too, if that is her singing. 7.5/10.
  • Took the kids to see Wish this morning, enjoyed it - lots of daft but funny bits, and I liked all the little nods to old Disney films.

I've seen lots of critics saying they thought the film was a bit flat but the songs were good, but I thought the exact opposite, film was good, songs a bit forgettable.
  • Watched The Little Mermaid the other day. More my wife wanting to watch it than me but I must admit, it was better than I expected. Quite well acted and I liked that the animals were realistic looking. The actress who played Ariel has a great voice too, if that is her singing. 7.5/10.
    She is/was a singer before she was cast so it very much is her own singing.
  • IdleHans said:
    Cheers, @KBslittlesis, just read a guardian review (4/5) and it looks just my kind of thing. One for the weekend!
    Oh I hope you enjoy it as much as I did 🤗
    Watched this last night as Mrs Idle was out at Winter Wonderland (which she hated) in Hyde Park on a work outing, so no Strictly monopolising the TV for once.
    I really enjoyed it, so thank you! A very strange film, I might watch it again soon to see what more I can pick up from it. You could perhaps argue it's a film that is trying to be too many things, or just that it changes direction often so you're not watching something you can easily categorise: thriller, drama, comedy, action...it's all of these things.
    Very entertaining watch, and I love a subtitle.
    My Danish isn't up to much, but the swearing is almost english
  • IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:
    Cheers, @KBslittlesis, just read a guardian review (4/5) and it looks just my kind of thing. One for the weekend!
    Oh I hope you enjoy it as much as I did 🤗
    Watched this last night as Mrs Idle was out at Winter Wonderland (which she hated) in Hyde Park on a work outing, so no Strictly monopolising the TV for once.
    I really enjoyed it, so thank you! A very strange film, I might watch it again soon to see what more I can pick up from it. You could perhaps argue it's a film that is trying to be too many things, or just that it changes direction often so you're not watching something you can easily categorise: thriller, drama, comedy, action...it's all of these things.
    Very entertaining watch, and I love a subtitle.
    My Danish isn't up to much, but the swearing is almost english
    It’s definitely a film I could watch again & again.
    So glad you enjoyed it 🤗
  • Napoleon, the cast was set, epic history, great actor in JP and great director in RS.

Unfortunately very disappointing and for me, a real bummer.
  • Cold Pursuit with Liam Neeson is his usual standard, but entertaining fare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched Riders of Justice on Film 4.

A Danish film with subtitles.

Best film I've seen in a blooming long time. It has everything. Great acting, great plot, funny, dark, empathy.

Fecking great viewing.
    Was my favourite film of 2020, probably. A great spin on a revenge movie, set up as an action thriller but becoming something much more weird and humane. I think I even preferred it to Another Round, which seemed to touch on the same themes of male bonding.
    Watch The Promised Land (Madds Mikkelsen- Danish Language) - out in February.   Probably the best film I've acquired in a while.
  • Napoleon, the cast was set, epic history, great actor in JP and great director in RS.

Unfortunately very disappointing and for me, a real bummer.
    Sadly I agree, all the ingredients to be great but fell well short. That said Vanessa Kirby playing Josephine was genuinely very good, but couldn't save the rest of it.
  • Leave the world behind. 

Steaming pile of cacky poo poo sums it up. 

Couldnt finish fast enough, felt like it went on for days. 
     0/10
  • TEL said:
    Leave the world behind. 

0/10
    Hate it when folk sit on the fence 🤣🤣🤣
  • Loved Wonka, and more importantly so did the kids.

Had one clapping in her seat and the other crying happy tears, they love films but I've never seen that I don't think!
  • I agree Wonka is very good. 

Good acting all round and appropriate nods to the original film. 

Good Christmas type film. 

Yeah definitely, can see it being a regular watch, comfort film!

To add the relatively small part (see what I did there!) played by Hugh Grant particularly tickled me. 🙂

To add the relatively small part (see what I did there!) played by Hugh Grant particularly tickled me. 🙂

You were tickled by Hugh Grant's small part? There's a headline he wont welcome!
  • Sponsored links:

Yeah although I feel like most of his lines were in the trailer.
  • edited December 2023
    Just watched Killers of flower moon 
    Really enjoyed it 👍

• Just watched Expendables 4 on the plane.
    Jesus it was bad
    Who is writing these scripts nowadays!?
  • supaclive said:
    Just watched Expendables 4 on the plane.
    Jesus it was bad
    Who is writing these scripts nowadays!?
    AI innit
  • TEL said:
    Leave the world behind. 

0/10

Leave the world behind

Agree, what a load of pelt, dont even bother, another 0/10
  • edited December 2023
    TEL said:
    Leave the world behind. 

0/10

Leave the world behind

Won't try too hard to defend it but I thought it was quite watchable, a 6 or 7 from 10 for me. It was fairly well grounded in a contemporary context, I.e risk of cyber attack.

It was modelled around what I think is known CIA methods for toppling foreign regimes it doesn't like but set in America so bringng the fear home. The use of sound weaponry is not so far from reality and was used in Cuba (if reports are to be believed) as referenced in the film. Theres also a tacit reference to the Bilderberg Group or something like it, of shadowy powerful people, influencing or reacting to global events.

Why animals got disoriented in the process I do not know! The acting wasn't great and the characters weren't so well developed. The women in particular were annoying to me. The ending felt lazy.

On the plus side I enjoyed the crash scenes of ships, planes and automobiles. 

Interestingly, Barack and Michelle Obama were exec producers. Not sure if that means they were involved in funding or signing off parts of the script or production, or whole thing? Overall I thought it was a film 'of these times', but not too heavy or scary.
  • Just watched maestro, reallly enjoyed it after a bit of a slowish start. I'm gonna go with 8/10. 
  • TEL said:
    Leave the world behind. 

0/10

Leave the world behind

Won't try too hard to defend it but I thought it was quite watchable, a 6 or 7 from 10 for me. It was fairly well grounded in a contemporary context, I.e risk of cyber attack.

It was modelled around what I think is known CIA methods for toppling foreign regimes it doesn't like but set in America so bringng the fear home. The use of sound weaponry is not so far from reality and was used in Cuba (if reports are to be believed) as referenced in the film. Theres also a tacit reference to the Bilderberg Group or something like it, of shadowy powerful people, influencing or reacting to global events.

Why animals got disoriented in the process I do not know! The acting wasn't great and the characters weren't so well developed. The women in particular were annoying to me. The ending felt lazy.

Interestingly, Barack and Michelle Obama were exec producers. Not sure if that means they were involved in funding or signing off parts of the script or production, or whole thing? Overall I thought it was a film 'of these times', but not too heavy or scary.
    Did appear they were setting it up for a sequel (and/or prequel) 
  • stonemuse said:
    TEL said:
    Leave the world behind. 

0/10

Leave the world behind

Did appear they were setting it up for a sequel (and/or prequel) 
    Doesn't take much to confuse me but which film is this referring to, please ?