Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• https://youtu.be/h5x1vYz6ZFM?si=y-vVuMjPsv-V8c9m

This looks like it will be great as were the others 
    1:15 - could be a telescope but could be the gun from Alien.
  • The Marvels.

Yes, there were fight scenes but they weren't that central to the story, which centred around Captain Marvel's redemption.

We got the first Pakistani super-hero in the Marvel canon, although I don't think they made her openly Muslim like she is in the comics.

The first extra half-way through the credits is a doozy.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Oooh I got goosebumps watching that 🤩
    I love all things Planet of the Apes. Was my fav as a kid & I’ve loved every new film.
    This one does look great.

Also just seen the trailer for the Fall Guy. Another fav as I loved Lee Major. 
    So much to look forward to 😁
    I’m probably still in love with Heather Thomas…

You’re welcome 😘
    Heather Thomas Then & Now - Would ya ? 

That looks like a lot of work has gone on there.
  • Haunting in Venice - Shit. 4/10.
  • Watched Reminiscence with Hugh Jackman last night.

Don't bother, absolute dross. 
  • The Killer . Released at the Cinema and on Netflix last Friday.

Directed by David Fincher and starring Michael Fassbender

Really enjoyed it . Not your typical hitman/Revenge thriller and a great soundtrack if you like The Smiths.

8 out of 10

• The Marvels.

Yes, there were fight scenes but they weren't that central to the story, which centred around Captain Marvel's redemption.

We got the first Pakistani super-hero in the Marvel canon, although I don't think they made her openly Muslim like she is in the comics.

She's actually had her own Disney+ series where her religion is very much important to both the plot and the character. So it may be more downplayed in the film.

Really enjoyed it . Not your typical hitman/Revenge thriller and a great soundtrack if you like The Smiths.

8 out of 10

Saw this on Netflix, and was a slight disappointment for me, so 6/10. Tries hard to be clever over what i thought was a simple plot, and culminates in a clever last few lines that just didn't hit home or i did't get it, despite re-running the ending and with subtitles on throughout. (I'm also not a big fan of the Smiths which may have been significant!)
  • thenewbie said:
    The Marvels.

She's actually had her own Disney+ series where her religion is very much important to both the plot and the character. So it may be more downplayed in the film.
    Ooooh I loved her!
    Delighted she’s in the film 🤩♥️🤗
  • Been out for a month on Prime, but the Burial is very good.
  • Sponsored links:

8 out of 10

Yeah I enjoyed it. Nice to have a hitman film where its not all guns blazing and unrealistic events.

Hopefully leads on to a sequel.
  • thenewbie said:
    The Marvels.

Ooooh I loved her!
    Delighted she’s in the film 🤩♥️🤗
    The series was good not great but I did very much like both the character and the actress - she's (Iman Vellani) a massive Marvel fan which I think really showed in her enthusiasm.

This particular film I'm iffy about but she's going places I think.
  • Dream Scenario 

Truly bizarre film about the perils of fame and how it can turn sour. Centred around a university professor who enters people's dreams. 

Nicholas Cage is excellent in the title role.
    8/10

8 out of 10

Yeah I enjoyed it. Nice to have a hitman film where its not all guns blazing and unrealistic events.

Hopefully leads on to a sequel.
    Thanks to both of you. I watched the trailer two months ago and thought it looked good. Then this past week I saw quite a few negative reviews so decided to give it a miss. This evening having read your posts I downloaded it and watched it with my parents. We all enjoyed it. It's indeed so much better than the likes of say John Wick or Mission Impossible. The story is simple but tight. It kept us interested all the way till the end. And as a casual fan of The Smiths it was fun for me to hear so many songs of theirs. I've always loved David Fincher's films. This one may not be his best but definitely worth a watch.
  • The Creator

Fairly original sci-fi story where western humans are in a war with AI and Asian humans. 

7/10
  • The Creator

Fairly original sci-fi story where western humans are in a war with AI and Asian humans. 

7/10
    I’ve not seen it myself but I’ve heard it looks good but the storyline is pretty dull . 

8 out of 10

Second this, but hate The Smiths, 7/10
  • I loved the recent planet of the apes films. You could tell they were a bit special. I loved the old films too and of course the series. The only one I didn't really like was the Tim Burton one.
    The two main positives about Burton POTA had to be Tim Roth, really scared me as a kid and the end scene. It's all time travel nonsense leaving loop holes but it's a good but different tribute to the original. 

Overall not a great film though
  • edited November 2023
    The Killer . Released at the Cinema and on Netflix last Friday.

8 out of 10

Saw this on Netflix, and was a slight disappointment for me, so 6/10. Tries hard to be clever over what i thought was a simple plot, and culminates in a clever last few lines that just didn't hit home or i did't get it, despite re-running the ending and with subtitles on throughout. (I'm also not a big fan of the Smiths which may have been significant!)
    It is so strange reading this post as this is exactly my thoughts on the film except I don't mind the smiths..

No spoilers of course but also thought the story was very basic for a film receiving quite rave reviews, the shots weren't great, admittedly it had an intriguing vibe to it but it fell a bit flat.

Exactly the same as the ending for me, I listened, didn't quite get it and thought 'that's the end?' I then put on subtitles and listened again, didn't understand and tried even one more time as I assumed they tried to make his little end speech catchy. Didn't hit home once.

It's hardly Daniel Craigs voice over in Layer Cake, I'd even argue Danny Dyers voice over at the end of football factory left more of a mark even.

Edit: should probably add one thing that was impressive about the Killer, is that seeing as it's set in a modern age, it does fairly well to explain how he gets away with the killings. Always bugs me a bit in shows and movies when they don't do that.

8 out of 10

It is so strange reading this post as this is exactly my thoughts on the film except I don't mind the smiths..

No spoilers of course but also thought the story was very basic for a film receiving quite rave reviews, the shots weren't great, admittedly it had an intriguing vibe to it but it fell a bit flat.

Exactly the same as the ending for me, I listened, didn't quite get it and thought 'that's the end?' I then put on subtitles and listened again, didn't understand and tried even one more time as I assumed they tried to make his little end speech catchy. Didn't hit home once.

It's hardly Daniel Craigs voice over in Layer Cake, I'd even argue Danny Dyers voice over at the end of football factory left more of a mark even.

Edit: should probably add one thing that was impressive about the Killer, is that seeing as it's set in a modern age, it does fairly well to explain how he gets away with the killings. Always bugs me a bit in shows and movies when they don't do that.
    I agree with most of this view too. I enjoyed it but it did seem a little too "style over substance" in parts to me. That said, I'm a sucker for Easter eggs and nods to other movies so really enjoyed the Odd Couple references especially (one of my all time favourites). Soundtrack works for me too.

Controversial opinion alert - but I really don't get what all the fuss is about the John Wick series, and I preferred this tbh. 
  • Sponsored links:

8 out of 10

I agree with most of this view too. I enjoyed it but it did seem a little too "style over substance" in parts to me. That said, I'm a sucker for Easter eggs and nods to other movies so really enjoyed the Odd Couple references especially (one of my all time favourites). Soundtrack works for me too.

Controversial opinion alert - but I really don't get what all the fuss is about the John Wick series, and I preferred this tbh. 
    Actually most of the comments I had read about this film before watching it were like Braziliance's. That's why I almost didn't watch it. It's been received underwhelmingly by IMDB users too. 

I totally agree with you regarding John Wick. It's become a repetitive and boring series by the second film. Watching it feels like playing video games. 
  • The Creator

7/10
    I’ve not seen it myself but I’ve heard it looks good but the storyline is pretty dull . 
    Having seen it I'd say that's a good summary Beds. I don't think much of John David Washington as an actor which didnt help. Seems a bit of a personality void in the, admittedly limited, number of films I have seen him in.

8 out of 10

I enjoyed it but my wife found it fairly boring … quite contrasting views! 
  • I think one thing that really helps with John Wick for me, is I really like Keanu Reeves so always give his films at least half a chance. 

I have only seen John Wick 1 & 2, both of which I quite enjoyed. I accepted them for what they are though, ridiculous action movies. 

I would say those films depend on the character, I am quite open minded and don't mind a bit of 'OTT' actions scenes etc. I am quite into manga/anime so I like seeing completely unrealistic films on the big screen. 

My big gripe is if a film is based on realism and they decide to chucks in a few unrealistic scenes here and there. 

Also time travel, f**k time travel. Lazy writing and always leaves too many holes in films and series. 
  • I think if you want a popcorn fest/lose yourself for a few hours then John Wick is pretty on point.

Four films with a relatively linked storyline but 4 films should be it now. 

I get very annoyed if Films and TV Series go marching on to ad infinitum like the X Files for an example... a brilliant ground breaking Sci fi series at the time that should have stopped before series 5 but no.... they kept pushing on.

Marvel films I think has probably now burst its bubble too with countless movies where you lose track of where you are.

• I enjoy the John Wick films . The choreography is fantastic but why the hell do they need to be three hours long ? Two hours is just about right . 
  • The 4th John Wick is a bit unreal, fight scene after fight scene.
  • Have skipped 8 years and 5.5k of posts since my last visit, but watched Elvis this afternoon. Enjoyed it, thought Austin Butler was fantastic as Elvis but Tom Hanks just reminded me of Clive James. For a long film I felt some of the storylines were rushed, and the highlight was Butler’s on stage performances. 7/10

Only the 2nd film I’ve seen this year so a see you all in in Nov 2031 :-) 
  • Have skipped 8 years and 5.5k of posts since my last visit, but watched Elvis this afternoon. Enjoyed it, thought Austin Butler was fantastic as Elvis but Tom Hanks just reminded me of Clive James. For a long film I felt some of the storylines were rushed, and the highlight was Butler’s on stage performances. 7/10

Only the 2nd film I’ve seen this year so a see you all in in Nov 2031 :-) 
    Very good film , I enjoyed it
  • Just watched 
    The Old Oak 
    Blinding film  B)