Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Dumb Money

Based on the true story re Gamestock, a couple of years ago, where the price got pumped high, by the average Joe buying in and trying to take on the traders who had taken short positions (wanted the price to go down).

Interesting story about greed, and how people react to it, it was ok, but I preferred the big short.
    There is a documentary about Game Stop that is really good and explains what went on in great detail. I found it really interesting and learnt a lot more about hedge funds and short selling than I ever thought I'd want to know. I think it's on Netflix.
  • Wilma said:
    Dumb Money

Based on the true story re Gamestock, a couple of years ago, where the price got pumped high, by the average Joe buying in and trying to take on the traders who had taken short positions (wanted the price to go down).

Interesting story about greed, and how people react to it, it was ok, but I preferred the big short.
    There is a documentary about Game Stop that is really good and explains what went on in great detail. I found it really interesting and learnt a lot more about hedge funds and short selling than I ever thought I'd want to know. I think it's on Netflix.
    Cheers Wilma, whats it called?
  • edited September 2023
    Wilma said:
    Dumb Money

GameStop: Rise of the Players
  • Off_it said:
    Equalizer 3 last night- very good little film this; 8/10 for me.
    It's a bit formulaic as if built around a template of how to make an efficient, feel-good film, of the right length, and with the essential plot details, but i was grateful for that as i didn't have to work the brain too hard, and it was well paced, and was all over in what felt like 90 minutes (but was actually 1hr 49, i now see).

On Off_it's point about the reason for him being in Italy- that held up well for me; the whole film is a bit of a stretch, in it's romanticising of Italy and it's village life v mob culture, the CIA, let alone Denzil's nose for trouble and how to fight it - a broad poetic licence granted. 

Good point. Just what were the CIA doing openly in Italy?

Helping out the Italians no doubt because you know how those Europeans can't do anything without  the Americans!
    I was specifically lost as to why the CIA agent was getting her first gig overseas but i think she was the daughter of someone from a previous film (1 or 2). I haven't seen the previous films but i think there were clues indicating that.
  • Wilma said:
    Dumb Money

GameStop: Rise of the Players
    Actually it was a HBO show on Sky called Gaming Wall Street, not this Netflix one. 
  • Blucher said:
    I saw the film 'Brooklyn' on Netflix a few weeks back. About an Irish girl in the 50s moving to New York.

Probably the best film i've seen all year. Was fantastic. Think it came out in 2015 so a few of you have already probably seen it. 
    Really enjoyed this film.
    Agreed - a lovely film. I saw it at the pictures a few years back. I found the scene of the Irish guy singing a cappella during a Christmas day lunch at a soup kitchen particularly poignant.

Colm Tóibín's novel on which the film is based is excellent and well worth a read. He's publishing a sequel, Long Island, in May 2024. It's set in the 1970s and revisits the main character, Eilis Lacy, 20 years after the the events in Brooklyn. I expect the sequel will be made into a film but, unless that's in many years hence, I fear it won't feature the outstanding Saoirse Ronan. That said, I suppose they can do great things with make up and she's a big box office draw.
    Thanks for that, I shall read the sequel.
    I loved Brooklyn. One of those films I can watch over & over.
    I thought the book was better than the film. 
  • Not a new film. But...
    ...I watched both Inception and The Prestige after reading rave write ups for both on here (my younger daughter tells me her favourite film ever is Inception). But I keep seeing that Chridtopher Nolan made an even better film called Memento. Anyone seen it, and is it as good as the rumours say it is?
    it is brilliant. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt.1

I love the MI films. A lot. I worship at the church of Cruise (the man, not his own church). I love him as a filmmaker. And I don't just mean the stunts, which are great fun, but the man knows how to bring other filmmakers together and get them top produce high-quality stuff. 

The way the MI films are crafted, particularly the scripts, really appeals to me. Ever since Brad Bird took on the fourth film I think Cruise, and latterly McQuarrie, have figured out an approach that makes them the best action movies of their time. 

To me, Fallout is in the top ten all time great action movies, and while Dead Reckoning is in the same vein, it's a little baggier than its predecessor. There's once chase scene that went on for so long that I couldn't remember how it started. 

Still, I loved it. I love the tension they're capable of creating. I love the way scenes are written and then subverted. I can see those little twists coming a mile off now as they're very much on brand for the series, but they're just as satisfying as ever. 

I think this film suffers a little bit by being a part 1 of 2, and when viewed with the sequel I would imagine it'll be a lot stronger. I've read that people have issues with the way the female sidekick has been introduced, and I can't defend that. There is a rotation of characters in this film that I think is odd. 

But fuck it, it's such good fun I don't care. 

8/10

i watched Rogue Nation and Fallout in one sitting. I was a nervous wreck by the end. 
  • edited September 2023
    Not a latest film but decided to buy Repo Man on Blu Ray after reading about its cult classic status. Probably had to watch it at the time to appreciate it. 
  • 1StevieG said:
    Not a new film. But...
    ...I watched both Inception and The Prestige after reading rave write ups for both on here (my younger daughter tells me her favourite film ever is Inception). But I keep seeing that Chridtopher Nolan made an even better film called Memento. Anyone seen it, and is it as good as the rumours say it is?
    it is brilliant. 
    Yeah memento is awesome. A film you can watch 2-3 times and it improves your viewing.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1StevieG said:
    Not a new film. But...
    it is brilliant. 
    I hated memento. I thought the plot was great and enjoyed the first 20/30 mins as build up and then just found it a bit too confusing and by the end was fed up. 
  • 1StevieG said:
    Not a new film. But...
    it is brilliant. 
    I hated memento. I thought the plot was great and enjoyed the first 20/30 mins as build up and then just found it a bit too confusing and by the end was fed up. 
    Did you watch it more than once? 

There’s a ‘hidden feature’ on the old dvd that plays it in correct order as well
  • 1StevieG said:
    Not a new film. But...
    it is brilliant. 

There’s a ‘hidden feature’ on the old dvd that plays it in correct order as well
    I tried it again recently, I first watched it years ago and got the girlfriend to watch it about a year ago. She left halfway as didn’t like it but I watched it all. 

Didn’t know about the DVD though, might give that a whirl 
  • 1StevieG said:
    Not a new film. But...
    it is brilliant. 

I tried it again recently, I first watched it years ago and got the girlfriend to watch it about a year ago. She left halfway as didn’t like it but I watched it all. 

Didn’t know about the DVD though, might give that a whirl 
    As with all films all about personal taste but I defo got more out of it when I watched it again with an idea of what to look for.
  • Saw X releases later this week as a horror movie buff(anyone who has seen my jacket knows how much I love them 🤣🤣) I'm excited for it as the Saw franchise is my favourite 

If your planning on watching it just remember Saw X fits in between Saw 1 and Saw 2 in the timeline 
  • edited September 2023
    1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

I love the MI films. A lot. I worship at the church of Cruise (the man, not his own church). I love him as a filmmaker. And I don't just mean the stunts, which are great fun, but the man knows how to bring other filmmakers together and get them top produce high-quality stuff. 

The way the MI films are crafted, particularly the scripts, really appeals to me. Ever since Brad Bird took on the fourth film I think Cruise, and latterly McQuarrie, have figured out an approach that makes them the best action movies of their time. 

To me, Fallout is in the top ten all time great action movies, and while Dead Reckoning is in the same vein, it's a little baggier than its predecessor. There's once chase scene that went on for so long that I couldn't remember how it started. 

Still, I loved it. I love the tension they're capable of creating. I love the way scenes are written and then subverted. I can see those little twists coming a mile off now as they're very much on brand for the series, but they're just as satisfying as ever. 

I think this film suffers a little bit by being a part 1 of 2, and when viewed with the sequel I would imagine it'll be a lot stronger. I've read that people have issues with the way the female sidekick has been introduced, and I can't defend that. There is a rotation of characters in this film that I think is odd. 

8/10

i watched Rogue Nation and Fallout in one sitting. I was a nervous wreck by the end. 
    just boshed the MI films in the last few weeks with a paramount + sub and watching most of them for the first time. Have to say, I'm now firmly on the cruise and MI train. Fantastic spectacles and really fun watches. Got a bit more serious than cheesey in more recent films, but maybe that's just moving with the times.
  • Saw X releases later this week as a horror movie buff(anyone who has seen my jacket knows how much I love them 🤣🤣) I'm excited for it as the Saw franchise is my favourite 

If your planning on watching it just remember Saw X fits in between Saw 1 and Saw 2 in the timeline 
    I've always enjoyed them, the first Saw was one of my favourites. Will be odd seeing Tobin Bell looking considerably older than he should in the timeline but will have to ignore that!
  • 1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

8/10

just boshed the MI films in the last few weeks with a paramount + sub and watching most of them for the first time. Have to say, I'm now firmly on the cruise and MI train. Fantastic spectacles and really fun watches. Got a bit more serious than cheesey in more recent films, but maybe that's just moving with the times.
    i reckon the Bourne films forced MI makers go up their game. 
  • 1StevieG said:
    1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

8/10

No doubt at all 
  • Sponsored links:

OMG! I had no idea about this,
    Fabulous, thank you 🙏🏻
  • edited September 2023
    Watched Barbie, thought it was more than fine for a easy Sunday night movie. Not quite sure why so many people have taken offence by it and why so many people been triggered by the portrait of the male role in the real world. I found Kens discovery of the patriarchy actually quite funny. Alsothe set design and Artwork was quite clever in parts.
  • stonemuse said:
    1StevieG said:
    1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

8/10

No doubt at all 
    I can throw some doubt in that direction! Bourne definitely had a big effect on action, especially Bond, but I think M:I is the series that ultimately went its own way. 

The M:I movies were supposed to be completely different styles each time. De Palma, Woo and Abrams are all very different stylistically. Of those three, only Abrams's M:I3 was post-Bourne and it's way more Abrams than Bourne/ Doug Liman/ Paul Greengrass. After him, Brad Bird came in, and what he set up gave Cruise (who runs the show more than anybody else) the inspiration to keep continuity across the subsequent movies. And I don't think you can see much Bourne in any of those films (unlike Casino Royale which is like a carbon copy at times). The opening sequence of Rogue Nation is a highlight of the series, and it's measured and well crafted. Not from-the-hip, which is what Greengrass has always done. Much to the series' detriment IMO. Liman's Identity was a big shot in the arm for action movies, and Supremacy was almost a fluke given how messy the production was, but it is one of my all-time favourites. At least at the time - some of the fights, most notably the apartment one, are held up today as how NOT to shoot a fight scene. 

When Cruise met Christopher McQuarrie for Jack Reacher where he did an amazing job, he took him over to M:I5, and he's been the leading creative force ever since. Meanwhile Greengrass and Damon, who refused to do another Bourne until their own careers were stuttering, screwed the pooch in a massive way with the fourth Bourne movie. Hell, I think they fucked it with the third one to be honest - instead of developing the franchise Greengrass kept repeating himself, as if a Bourne movie had to have the same style of beats in them to be defined as a Bourne movie. Sure, Ultimatum is a solid action movie, but it led to a dead end creatively, as evidenced by the utterly pointless fifth movie (Jason Bourne). The books are shit and really badly written, but at least they have some source material to offer depth to Bourne's life, all of which was ignored by Greengrass and writer Tony Gilroy. Hell, I would take the Jeremy Renner movie (Legacy) over the last two Damon ones. At least Gilroy tried to expand the story in that one. Damon and Greengrass were really dismissive of that, but then made the worst movie in the entire franchise. 

Anyway, I think the M:I series owes a debt to Brad Bird (20%), JJ Abrams (20%) and Chris McQuarrie (60%) way more than Greengrass and Damon! 
  • Went to see the creator, story about AI and humans, been showing trailers for ages , its ok, stunning landscapes , and immersive scenary , 6.5 - 7 out of 10 for me, nothing thats not been done before.

If you hate Sci - fi then don't bother, and vice versa.

• JiMMy 85 said:
    stonemuse said:
    1StevieG said:
    1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

8/10

No doubt at all 
    I can throw some doubt in that direction! Bourne definitely had a big effect on action, especially Bond, but I think M:I is the series that ultimately went its own way. 

The M:I movies were supposed to be completely different styles each time. De Palma, Woo and Abrams are all very different stylistically. Of those three, only Abrams's M:I3 was post-Bourne and it's way more Abrams than Bourne/ Doug Liman/ Paul Greengrass. After him, Brad Bird came in, and what he set up gave Cruise (who runs the show more than anybody else) the inspiration to keep continuity across the subsequent movies. And I don't think you can see much Bourne in any of those films (unlike Casino Royale which is like a carbon copy at times). The opening sequence of Rogue Nation is a highlight of the series, and it's measured and well crafted. Not from-the-hip, which is what Greengrass has always done. Much to the series' detriment IMO. Liman's Identity was a big shot in the arm for action movies, and Supremacy was almost a fluke given how messy the production was, but it is one of my all-time favourites. At least at the time - some of the fights, most notably the apartment one, are held up today as how NOT to shoot a fight scene. 

When Cruise met Christopher McQuarrie for Jack Reacher where he did an amazing job, he took him over to M:I5, and he's been the leading creative force ever since. Meanwhile Greengrass and Damon, who refused to do another Bourne until their own careers were stuttering, screwed the pooch in a massive way with the fourth Bourne movie. Hell, I think they fucked it with the third one to be honest - instead of developing the franchise Greengrass kept repeating himself, as if a Bourne movie had to have the same style of beats in them to be defined as a Bourne movie. Sure, Ultimatum is a solid action movie, but it led to a dead end creatively, as evidenced by the utterly pointless fifth movie (Jason Bourne). The books are shit and really badly written, but at least they have some source material to offer depth to Bourne's life, all of which was ignored by Greengrass and writer Tony Gilroy. Hell, I would take the Jeremy Renner movie (Legacy) over the last two Damon ones. At least Gilroy tried to expand the story in that one. Damon and Greengrass were really dismissive of that, but then made the worst movie in the entire franchise. 

Anyway, I think the M:I series owes a debt to Brad Bird (20%), JJ Abrams (20%) and Chris McQuarrie (60%) way more than Greengrass and Damon! 
    Genuinely forgot there were any Bournes after the original trilogy.
  • Past Lives - story of a Korean couple of their complex history. Saw this at Greenwich picturehouse. The Guardian review gave it 5 stars and rotten tomatoes currently 98%. I can see why, but I'll give it 8/10. Mostly set in Seoul and New York interestingly.

• Just watched Reptile on Netflix which has only been available from tonight. 

Another film that requires your full attention as lots of characters so lots of questions here ..." Who's that, then ? Have we seen him before ? " etc. 

Enjoyable enough & kept us engaged for most of the 2 hours plus. Worth a look IMO.
  • edited September 2023
    Just watched Reptile on Netflix which has only been available from tonight. 

Another film that requires your full attention as lots of characters so lots of questions here ..." Who's that, then ? Have we seen him before ? " etc. 

Enjoyable enough & kept us engaged for most of the 2 hours plus. Worth a look IMO.
    Is it the one with Justin Timberlake? I saw the trailer last week. Thought it looked interesting, a little bit scary though. Thanks for the recommendation. :)
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    stonemuse said:
    1StevieG said:
    1StevieG said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

8/10

No doubt at all 

Genuinely forgot there were any Bournes after the original trilogy.
    I thought they were decent. Obviously not as great as the trilogy but still I thoroughly enjoyed them. 
  • Watched Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One and thought it was entertaining. A lot of coincidences (like whenever someone is on the verge of getting killed there will always be another one who miraculously shows to save him/her) so it's basically more like Bond than Bourne to me - I could take Bourne seriously but not Bond. That said, I did love the yellow FIAT scenes which made my mum and me laugh out loud for a few minutes. Plus it has one of my favourite actors Shea Whigham (Eli from Boardwalk Empire) and he's surprisingly in it a lot. Overall a good watch. 8/10.