Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Went to see Killers of the Flower Moon this weekend, and I'm afraid I was quite disappointed.

It was really very long at 3 and a half hours for a story that wasn't overly complicated, and although the plot was interesting it never particularly picked up pace or felt like it came to a significant climax. It wasn't so much that there was lots they could cut, more that they could've told the story in a better/more engaging manner. 

I have seen rave reviews for the film and DiCaprio's performance but I really didn't think it was close to Scorsese or DiCaprio's best outing by a long way.

Would probably give it a 6/10.
  • Saw it this afternoon and wholeheartedly agree with your review, @LonelyNorthernAddick
    Not bad, but it plodded along. Not helped by me having had a coffee and two beers during the film and been somewhat uncomfortable during the last quarter hour or so.

• Five Nights at Freddie’s was dreadful.

Hoping not to drink too much at the match tomorrow so I can make it through 3.5 hours of Killers of the Flower Moon afterwards. 
  • se9addick said:
    Five Nights at Freddie’s was dreadful.

Hoping not to drink too much at the match tomorrow so I can make it through 3.5 hours of Killers of the Flower Moon afterwards. 
    You can nip out for a wee, I wish I had - I can guarantee you won't miss much. 
  • Sorry I can't agree with people's comments on Killers of the flower moon, I go to the cinema every week as I have an unlimited card and I thought it was a fascinating true story, I generally agree that films tend to be too long these days but knowing nothing about the story beforehand I found it engaged me throughout, the scenes with DiCaprio and DeNiro showed what great actors they are .
    Looking forward to the Nicolas Winter film.
  • Killers of the Flower Moon -7/10

My interest started to wane until Jesse Plemons and the FBI turned up about two hours in and I thought that long, earlier  chunk of the film could easily have been edited down. I also found the characters a bit one-dimensional. Overall, I found it a good film but not an outstanding one.
  • Grovenuts said:
    Sorry I can't agree with people's comments on Killers of the flower moon, I go to the cinema every week as I have an unlimited card and I thought it was a fascinating true story, I generally agree that films tend to be too long these days but knowing nothing about the story beforehand I found it engaged me throughout, the scenes with DiCaprio and DeNiro showed what great actors they are .
    I agree. The film held my interest throughout. Recommend but only at the cinema (one with good seats)
  • Grovenuts said:
    Sorry I can't agree with people's comments on Killers of the flower moon, I go to the cinema every week as I have an unlimited card and I thought it was a fascinating true story, I generally agree that films tend to be too long these days but knowing nothing about the story beforehand I found it engaged me throughout, the scenes with DiCaprio and DeNiro showed what great actors they are .
    I do think the story is interesting, but i'm convinced it could've been told in a better/more engaging way
  • https://youtu.be/h5x1vYz6ZFM?si=y-vVuMjPsv-V8c9m

This looks like it will be great as were the others 

The others were great ? Can’t agree with you there . A couple had their moments but none of them fitted into the great category. 
    Now the original 1968 version definitely qualifies as great and has one of the best endings in movie history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oooh I got goosebumps watching that 🤩
    I love all things Planet of the Apes. Was my fav as a kid & I’ve loved every new film.
    This one does look great.

Also just seen the trailer for the Fall Guy. Another fav as I loved Lee Major. 
    So much to look forward to 😁
  • Oooh I got goosebumps watching that 🤩
    I love all things Planet of the Apes. Was my fav as a kid & I’ve loved every new film.

I’m probably still in love with Heather Thomas…
  • The three Planet movies are either pretty good or excellent. I’m glad they’re still going but I can’t help but feel the loss of Matt Reeves might be an issue. He absolutely nailed the tone and style for those second two. 

What I liked about the trailer is that it doesn’t look set-piece driven. That bodes well. It’ll hopefully be as story-driven as the rest were. 

The others were great ? Can’t agree with you there . A couple had their moments but none of them fitted into the great category. 
    Now the original 1968 version definitely qualifies as great and has one of the best endings in movie history.
    Ooo Beds, I'd have them great or at the very least good with a fair few 'great' scenes. If we go from online ratings they definitely fall into great territory.

I do like the originals, watched them all as a kid as my Mum and uncles loved those films and as you say, one of the most memorable endings. They however are a bit dated for me and I'll never appreciate them as much as people before my time would have.

There's so much more potential with the new films as technology has advanced so much, I enjoy the newer ones more.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Oooh I got goosebumps watching that 🤩

You’re welcome 😘
  • And I’ve just listened to the original theme tune.
    Very funny.
    Had completely forgotten it 🤣🤣
  • Love the original theme tune, don’t mind the Bon Jovi in the trailer but surely Ryan will sing us out to the original (maybe updating some of the dead lady references?)
  • Fumbluff said:

You’re welcome 😘
    Heather Thomas Then & Now - Would ya ? 

• Just had our film Friday in the village church where we go along not knowing what we're going to be seeing.
    First time I haven't enjoyed it.
    We saw Stranger than Fiction. A 2006 film with Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson & Dustin Hoffman.

I now feel vindicated that I have never watched a Ferrell movie. I absolutely loath him 😫😳

It didn't get received well by those attending either, so it wasn't just me lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• He speaks very highly of you
  • i thought five nights at freddies was kinda fun - stupid - but fun
  • Fumbluff said:

You’re welcome 😘
    Heather Thomas Then & Now - Would ya ? 

Yes yes. “I never spent much time in n school etc”
  • I loved the recent planet of the apes films. You could tell they were a bit special. I loved the old films too and of course the series. The only one I didn't really like was the Tim Burton one.
  • Also saw a couple of films at London Film Festival. 

May December was disappointing - very contrived and terrible music score which was probably meant to be ironic if you’re an industry insider but I’m not and am never that keen on films about actors. 4/10

The Hitman on the other hand was excellent- based on a true story of a geeky guy who ends up posing undercover as a hitman. Very well scripted and acted with lots of funny moments. 8/10. 
  • The Piper. 
    Let me say if you were thinking of going, save your money. It's the biggest pile of poo I've seen since I rented Smokey and the judge thinking it was the same franchise as Smokey and the bandit.
    Ridiculous script, music to put your teeth on edge to make up for the total lack of scary moments and who ever cast Julian Sands as an Ac Tor.... well enough said. Shit plot, lack of scares wooden acting, this has it all. 0/10
  • TEL said:
    The Piper. 
    Let me say if you were thinking of going, save your money. It's the biggest pile of poo I've seen since I rented Smokey and the judge thinking it was the same franchise as Smokey and the bandit.
    Ridiculous script, music to put your teeth on edge to make up for the total lack of scary moments and who ever cast Julian Sands as an Ac Tor.... well enough said. Shit plot, lack of scares wooden acting, this has it all. 0/10
    Oh man, is this going to be Sands's last film? I guess it would be fitting - he did have a lot of absolute dross on his CV! 

• JiMMy 85 said:
    TEL said:
    The Piper. 
    Oh man, is this going to be Sands's last film? I guess it would be fitting - he did have a lot of absolute dross on his CV! 

Ah did not realise it was him who went missing whilst hiking...sad, but still a bloody awful piece of cinema. 
  • Dream Sequence - Nicholas Cage. 

A quirky film with just a couple of laugh out load moments. 6/10. 
  • Gran Turismo - What a movie!

Legolas, Ginger Spice , and a bit of car driving, what more could a guy ask for.
    Plot?  Good camera work?  A question mark at the end of a question?