Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Got round to seeing Asteroid City last night and thought it was pretty poor IMO, I generally quite like Wes Anderson films but don't love them but this one was just a bit too much for me. 

Probably didn't help that we watched Isle of Dogs on Saturday night which I hadn't seen before and I absolutely loved that. Think it's my favourite of all of his films now

Scarlett in it. I had to watch it.

It's shit.
  • Find it funny everyone getting worked up about the Barbie film. It's hardly likely to be a masterpiece but I imagine as a lightweight comedy it should work - I'm sure the actors enjoyed making it.

I'll definitely watch it.
  • Watched Pieces of a Woman last night.
    I enjoyed it.
    Scared the bejesus out of himself though.
    Be warned guys, if you don’t like watching Call the Midwife, you most definitely won’t appreciate this 🫣🤣🤣
  • Find it funny everyone getting worked up about the Barbie film. It's hardly likely to be a masterpiece but I imagine as a lightweight comedy it should work - I'm sure the actors enjoyed making it.

I'll definitely watch it.
    Exactly.

I’ll be watching with my daughter and give an opinion once I’ve seen it.
  • edited July 2023
    The missus and mother in law have just put Avatar the way of water on, on Disney plus. Am ten minutes in and just remembering how totally shit the first film was 
  • I'm expecting Barbie to be a smart and subversive take on what could easily have been a simplistic toy promotion, more akin to Transformers. I might be wrong, and maybe the trailers do correctly represent it as vacuous or downright stupid. But I am not going to make that call until I've seen it - and this debate makes me want to see it. I think it's mad to write a film off without watching it. 

I reckon I'll hate Asteroid City with a passion. But if I really want to say that I will watch it first! 
  • Any views on Oppenheimer?
  • Initial reactions of Oppenheimer sound very very promising.
  • Initial reactions of Oppenheimer sound very very promising.
    Yes I've seen quite many very positive comments about it in the past week. Below is what I just read today. Paul Schrader is the screenwriter of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. Taxi Driver is my favourite Scorsese film. I love it so much that if I were a student studying film in college I'd definitely write an essay on it.

• Asteroid City for me this week. I'm quite a fan of Anderson, and still enjoyed it, but ultimately didn't think it was one of his best. Far from it really and it didn't hit the spot as per The French Dispatch for neither me or my wife.

It might also just be the cinema we saw it in but we both found the sound mix was terrible and struggled in parts to follow the dialogue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe they killed Indian Jones off.
  • PopIcon said:
    Can't believe they killed Indian Jones off.
    don't worry mate he was actually hiding in a fridge 
  • edited July 2023
    The Flash.

Oh dear god. I like Batfleck, I like gadot as wonder woman, I loved Cavill's Superman - still no idea why they lost him.

The Flash character was more CGI than character development. His acting wasn't the problem. 

I am sick of the amount of CGI scenes replacing live action this movie seems to reduce the quality of those scenes compared to the last films. 

I found it really annoying that the movie has completely trashed what is a really good storyline, the scriptwriting wasn't a problem so it leaves me looking squarely at the directing as to why the movie fell so short for me. 

Poor casting of a number of characters? Too much focus on showing JL characters. 

The TV show is closer to the comics but is miles better than this heap of shit. 

4/10 Too much CGI, not a bad script, not poorly acted but just feels very meh. A big fail.
  • I enjoyed the score though
  • edited July 2023
    When Star Wars came out there was a realism to the models that felt exciting and special. Especially on a big screen. Maybe because we see so much of it but CGI just doesn't wow in the same way. For me, the best CGI is when we don't know it is CGI. Maybe an element is you can do what you like when sometimes you need to know when to stop.
  • BARBIE

The humour soon wore off and it had a pretty leaden script. 4/10
  • I always mean to contribute to this thread more, open up, go to write then forget and weeks pass that the film is barely "recent". However, I'll jump to the (slight) defence of my boy Wes.

Asteroid City - 6.5/10

Typical Wes Anderson cinematography, styling and casting ensemble. If you're a fan, or seen more than one Wes Anderson film then you'll know what to expect. 

Two stories to tell, the in film play (Asteroid City) and the writer. For me, would have preferred to see the film solely as "Asteroid City" and cut out the behind the scenes stuff as it just seemed to be a chance to comment on arty farty *art house cinema types, not sure if it was a self awareness joke, dig at them or a finger pointing "yeah what" at the people who aren't fans of that, but found myself just wanting to carry on with what was happening in the actual play.
    It's almost like Wes Anderson wrote a sci-fi film, felt dirty so then threw that in to balance it out. 

Really enjoyed it and personally it sits above The French Dispatch in terms of his recent outings but still not hitting the highs of Anderson films of old.

*Wes Anderson fanboyism aside, I saw the film in probably the smallest cinema I've ever been too, sandwiched between a bar and a travel agent, 4 screens max and could only seat about 35 people in the showing I went too, couldn't even get popcorn as it had to be saved for the family film. This probably helped with taking the film in as it was right at home being shown there! 
  • BARBIE

I'd probably give it a 5/10. I thought Gosling was good, but the film was very corny in places. 
  • Enjoyed Barbie, liked the message. Went on too long and they didn’t seem to know how to wrap it up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry to read the Barbie comments.  My son (age 52) is dying to see it and has his pink shirt at the ready).
  • Little Miss Idle, whose judgment I trust, said this of Oppenheimer: Oppenheimer probably a very good 2 hour/2.15 film. Sadly it was 3 hours long. Some of it was excellent and it’s probably my favourite Nolan film but that’s a low bar.
    Barbie was 'less intellectual but better made.'
    I'm going to the pictures next week now the ashes series is dead, but I'll only be seeing one of them
  • Sorry to read the Barbie comments.  My son (age 52) is dying to see it and has his pink shirt at the ready).
    It is good. It is funny. He’ll love it. I just think it could have wrapped up a bit earlier. Loved the first 3/4 of it. 
  • Have just watched 'The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent' - Nicolas Cage's new offering.

Considering some of the stinkers he's recently been in, it's actually a relatively decent and funny film.
    I watched this for the first time last night.
    I swerve NC films as apart from Face Off I can’t really stand him.

But I loved this. Such a piss take. Great fun!
  • Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt.1

I love the MI films. A lot. I worship at the church of Cruise (the man, not his own church). I love him as a filmmaker. And I don't just mean the stunts, which are great fun, but the man knows how to bring other filmmakers together and get them top produce high-quality stuff. 

The way the MI films are crafted, particularly the scripts, really appeals to me. Ever since Brad Bird took on the fourth film I think Cruise, and latterly McQuarrie, have figured out an approach that makes them the best action movies of their time. 

To me, Fallout is in the top ten all time great action movies, and while Dead Reckoning is in the same vein, it's a little baggier than its predecessor. There's once chase scene that went on for so long that I couldn't remember how it started. 

Still, I loved it. I love the tension they're capable of creating. I love the way scenes are written and then subverted. I can see those little twists coming a mile off now as they're very much on brand for the series, but they're just as satisfying as ever. 

I think this film suffers a little bit by being a part 1 of 2, and when viewed with the sequel I would imagine it'll be a lot stronger. I've read that people have issues with the way the female sidekick has been introduced, and I can't defend that. There is a rotation of characters in this film that I think is odd. 

But fuck it, it's such good fun I don't care. 

8/10

• https://youtu.be/lb13ynu3Iac

Saw Oppenheimer last night, thought it was very good and the length didn't bother me felt engrossed all the way through.

Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer, no complaints about his performance but personally kept getting side tracked by Tommy from Peaky Blinders, not his fault either.

The question I was left with, is the world a safer place because of Oppenheimer or not? I'm inclined to think not, and while it may seem unlikely that anyone would do the unthinkable, I don't think I can say 100% it will never happen:(

I'm thinking of ordering, American Prometheus, anyone read it?
  • First trip to the cinema for me today for several years as I can now manage to walk in and get up the stairs with crutches. I’d forgotten about popcorn!!!! Saw Oppenheimer.  Enjoyed it and a stellar cast did the business, especially Murphy and Downey Jr. If I’m being critical it was over long although not unwatchably so.  Less “action” than I expected as it is primarily a procedural drama than an action movie (don’t expect to see Hiroshima or Nagasaki get kaboomed). The sound effects are quite jarring as per Nolan’s habit and add well to the visuals. Thought provoking of course but no more so than I expected. Would I recommend it?  Subject to the above provisos, yes. Would I go see it again?  No. 
  • BARBIE

Margot Robbie though. 
  • Ms AA and I saw Barbie last night. Both thought it was one of the worst films we’d ever seen. Very little humour, worthy political points laid on with a trowel, a complete waste of talent and money.