Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• The Champions - Good feel good fun.
    Really enjoyed this.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched John Wick 4. It is crazily long and repetitive but I still enjoyed it. I thought it lacked Wick having any real say in what’s happening around him. He doesn’t explain why he’s still fighting or show any passion which is in contrast to his refusal to die. Donnie Yen was brilliant. 

Also, @PopIcon, I intend to spoil every movie I possibly can for you from henceforth. Wanker
    Now now. Think you've been hanging around White for too long!

;-)
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched John Wick 4. It is crazily long and repetitive but I still enjoyed it. I thought it lacked Wick having any real say in what’s happening around him. He doesn’t explain why he’s still fighting or show any passion which is in contrast to his refusal to die. Donnie Yen was brilliant. 

Also, @PopIcon, I intend to spoil every movie I possibly can for you from henceforth. Wanker. 
    I've not seen The Little Mermaid yet.
  • Went to see the Little Mermaid, was pleasantly surprised, I can’t remember watching the original cartoon film, there were about 10 songs including the one at the end in it I think, and it was alright, much better than I thought it would be.

A bit of a classic fairytale, fairly harmless stuff, and who doesn’t like the song , under the sea.
  • edited June 2023
    Went to see the Little Mermaid, was pleasantly surprised, I can’t remember watching the original cartoon film, there were about 10 songs including the one at the end in it I think, and it was alright, much better than I thought it would be.

A bit of a classic fairytale, fairly harmless stuff, and who doesn’t like the song , under the sea.
    Enjoyed watching it.
  • Went tonight to the tiny, but perfectly formed Palace Cinema just off the beach at Viking Bay.

Tonight's offering was Beau is Afraid, starring Joachim Phoenix which I hadn't heard of until now. 

A whole 2hrs 59 mins later, we emerged, a tad confused & with more questions than answers. 

One of the 3 other attendees in the stalls exited with us with the words " Well, that was a barrel of laughs!" 

It was entertaining in a sense but as soon as we arrived back in our hotel room, it was Google time.... TBH, just a soupcon of light was shed on proceedings with the film described as a horror comedy. 

Will be interested to hear the views of others if/when anyone has 3 hours to fill anytime soon. 
  • edited June 2023
    The Killers of the Flower Moon - new Scorsese and Di Caprio film got a NINE minute standing ovation in Cannes. That could mean anything but the trailer looks good.
    think i remember reading di caprio came away from filming convinced it was the best work him and scrosese had done together. Got high hopes for it.
    After reading the above posts (thanks!), I started to watch old De Niro films that I hadn't watched before, Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy being the two most unforgettable ones so far. I hadn't read any reviews beforehand except knowing Taxi Driver is one of the most iconic films by Scorsese. When I finished watching those two, I immediately thought about Joker. I loved Joker but now I realise its plot is not original at all😅 Phoenix's performance is incredible but the idea of the film obviously comes from Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy!
    Another De Niro film (probably much lesser known) I think is worth watching is "Awakenings". It's based on a true story. De Niro's part is very difficult to play and heartbreaking to watch. Robin Williams was great, too. R.I.P.😢
  • edited June 2023
    Went tonight to the tiny, but perfectly formed Palace Cinema just off the beach at Viking Bay.

Tonight's offering was Beau is Afraid, starring Joachim Phoenix which I hadn't heard of until now. 

A whole 2hrs 59 mins later, we emerged, a tad confused & with more questions than answers. 

One of the 3 other attendees in the stalls exited with us with the words " Well, that was a barrel of laughs!" 

It was entertaining in a sense but as soon as we arrived back in our hotel room, it was Google time.... TBH, just a soupcon of light was shed on proceedings with the film described as a horror comedy. 

Will be interested to hear the views of others if/when anyone has 3 hours to fill anytime soon. 
    I saw the trailer earlier this year when I was checking out what Nathan Lane was doing lately. It looked like an unconventional film with some supernatural elements/fantasy? Didn't know it was 3 hours long. Probably too long for my liking - unless it's a masterpiece like Godfather or a film by my one of my favourite directors (Nolan's anticipated Oppenheimer springs to mind), I don't think I'd be patient enough to sit through such a long film🤣
  • thenewbie said:
    Across The Spiderverse - if you've seen and enjoyed the first one then you'll like this one too, if not you'll be utterly baffled a few minutes in.

That said as a visual experience and a sheer feat of animation this is one of the greatest films I've seen. The fact it has an interesting (albeit very "comic book") plot and good character work as well is just so much the better.

9/10 for me - the point only being dropped for it very obviously being part one of a two part piece. Literally nothing gets resolved at all.
    Watched this today. Only seen snippets of the first film but was aware of the unique style of it. Thought it was absolutely brilliant. Animation is mind-blowing but it's also a great story. Will now watch the first one but really looking forward to the 3rd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw the Flash today and thought it was really good. I have read the source material from which the story is derived (not entirely true to it) and thought the combination or story, return of certain actors/actresses, humour, emotion and pace were all really well done. Some critics were way too harsh in their lower ratings imho. 8-9/10 for me and will definitely see it again. 
  • Saw The Flash as well. It really is a fun movie. Bright and breezy for the most part. The characters who weren't called Barry were largely under-served, and much of what we see if there to make you go "Oh look it's that person from that thing that we also saw!" or in one case, didn't see. That's instead of having something that is narratively justified, and while I didn't mind it, I think James Gunn calling it the greatest superheo movie ever made has made me like him a little bit less. It's a fun, and for the most part, really silly comic book movie with some really ropey CG. Few will regret watching it, yet few will really remember it in the long term. 
  • edited June 2023
    I thought Ezra Miller would be replaced since a series of scandalous news broke out. Probably had someone higher up in the industry to "protect" him...

Sorry I couldn't help but said the above😅 I saw people make the same question the other day on the internet. I wondered about it, too.
  • Jessie said:
    I thought Ezra Miller would be replaced since a series of scandalous news broke out. Probably had someone higher up in the industry to "protect" him...

Sorry I couldn't help but said the above😅 I saw people make the same question the other day on the internet. I wondered about it, too.
    Most probably, this will in fact happen but the film was much too far along/over-budget ALREADY for them to reshoot/replace all the existing footage.

The film is going to have to do huge box office numbers to even just make its costs back as it is, regardless of quality it's very likely to lose money overall.

I expect Miller to be quietly shooed out ASAP.
  • edited June 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Jessie said:

Most probably, this will in fact happen but the film was much too far along/over-budget ALREADY for them to reshoot/replace all the existing footage.

The film is going to have to do huge box office numbers to even just make its costs back as it is, regardless of quality it's very likely to lose money overall.

That's a shame. Just now I read a timeline of his numerous controversies and the ending of it is chilling: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/ezra-miller-the-flash-timeline-arrests-controversies-abuse-1234765089/

A month away from the premiere, The Flash director Andy Muschietti and other higher-ups connected with the film praised Miller’s performance, with one saying they believed the audience would “forget” about the star’s many controversies after seeing the movie. 

I'm all for the notion that the artists and their work being separately judged (Brando springs to mind) but this one is too awful to just ignore... Miller seemed a constant threat to his neighborhood and a very very bad influence to the society.😰
  • Jessie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Jessie said:

That's a shame. Just now I read a timeline of his numerous controversies and the ending of it is chilling: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/ezra-miller-the-flash-timeline-arrests-controversies-abuse-1234765089/

A month away from the premiere, The Flash director Andy Muschietti and other higher-ups connected with the film praised Miller’s performance, with one saying they believed the audience would “forget” about the star’s many controversies after seeing the movie. 

I'm all for the notion that the artists and their work being separately judged (Brando springs to mind) but this one is too awful to just ignore... Miller seemed a constant threat to his neighborhood and a very very bad influence to the society.😰
    Oh I agree entirely, Miller is beyond just "a troubled person" and into being frankly quite dangerous. But alas in Hollywood as in many things money matters more than morals to the people who make these decisions.
  • I think Miller is pretty much finished. He/ they has no movies coming up after The Flash as far as I can tell, and while it is true that money is more important that morals in Hollywood (that has been the case for a hundred years or more) that money is heavily impacted by the audience perception of the stars.

There are few stars who draw in audiences like the old days. Today IP is bigger than actors (people pay to watch Thor, not Chris Hemsworth). So Armie Hammer, TJ Miller, James Franco and so on are not likely to make a come back any time soon. 

Another example is Pixar - they had nothing but success under the guidance of John Lasseter, but he got elbowed out for being touchy-feely in the office. Now Pixar cannot buy a hit, but I can't see them bringing him back in.  
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I think Miller is pretty much finished. He/ they has no movies coming up after The Flash as far as I can tell, and while it is true that money is more important that morals in Hollywood (that has been the case for a hundred years or more) that money is heavily impacted by the audience perception of the stars.

There are few stars who draw in audiences like the old days. Today IP is bigger than actors (people pay to watch Thor, not Chris Hemsworth). So Armie Hammer, TJ Miller, James Franco and so on are not likely to make a come back any time soon. 

Another example is Pixar - they had nothing but success under the guidance of John Lasseter, but he got elbowed out for being touchy-feely in the office. Now Pixar cannot buy a hit, but I can't see them bringing him back in.  
    I expect Chesterfield will sign him
  • Watched Limbo last night.
    Cinematography was very good.
    But I had to have the sound right up to hear/understand it.
    Was watchable but I can imagine some wouldn’t stick with it.
  • Watched The Lives of Others again last night.

Definitely the best film I've ever seen, with the best ending too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I often find, when looking for new movies the last year there is a lack of decent ones out. Any suggestions/recommended? I don't have a preference of genre and watch a few so might have seen them but fire away if there is any must see ones in the last year
  • watched rye lane on disney + at the weekend.

If master of none and before sunrise had a baby - I'm a sucker for both so absolutely loved it. 
  • Just watched Extraction 2 on Netflix.

Not bad, more of a beer and popcorn Saturday night movie that goes at a pace which is bloody exhausting for the first hour. Not an academy award winner but okay. 
  • Going to see Astroid City on Tuesday.

I watched The Red Shoes today. I'm a big fan of powell and pressburger the directors, but this was a bit to weird for me. 
  • Went to see Asteroid City with my daughter this evening. We are both huge Wes Anderson fans so were really looking forward to it.

As ever, the film "felt" amazing and the cinematography was as brilliant as ever. You also got a 10 second glimps of Scarlett Johansson completely naked!

If it was possible for a film to be "too" Wes Anderson, then this was perhaps it.

Not his best work, still enjoyed it. Probably a 7/10 for me.
  • The Bromley Boys, Netflix. Utter rubbish. Loved it.
  • Really enjoyed The Flash (apart from Afflecks chin) having long since fallen out of love with the genre. Still too much shitey cgi but you can’t have everything. 
  • Just watched Extraction 2 on Netflix.

Not bad, more of a beer and popcorn Saturday night movie that goes at a pace which is bloody exhausting for the first hour. Not an academy award winner but okay. 
    +1
  • edited June 2023
    I I really liked Asteroid City, but agree with @Clem_Snide that it won’t win Wes Anderson too many new fans.

(oh, and I’d be pretty confident that SJ used a body double!)
  • edited June 2023
    I saw Asteroid City today. First time I've seen one of his films.

The train scene at the start reminded me of Bad Day At Black Rock.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I did think it was enjoyable. It is one of the weirdest films I've seen though.

When I went to the toilet after, two guys in there who watched the film were were slating it.