Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Finally got to see the Death of Stalin - very good cast and manages to find comedy in a very bleak period of history. The film works better than I expected and Simon Russell Brake and Jeffrey Tambor give excellent performances.

• Options
    Thor was much funnier than I expected. 7/10
    Paddington: Ahhhhh 8/10
    Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. Truly excellent. Take a tissue: 9/10
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Hoping to see Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool later this week - trailer looks good.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Ms AA went to see Film Stars.... She found it completely unengaging and the relationship between the main characters not at all believable. Horses for courses and all that.
  • Options
    Watched True Story, last night on Netflix, thought it was quite good.
  • Options

Watched True Story, last night on Netflix, thought it was quite good.

Love the dinosaur and Mr Potato head in it.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Hoping to see Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool later this week - trailer looks good.
    I thought it was excellently done and very touching. A lot of the outdoor scenes were filmed close to where I live. The film crew really appreciated the support they were given by the local community and this was acknowledged in the closing credits.

Some great acting performances and the story itself is one in the eye for those scouser detractors amongst us.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

JamesSeed said:

I thought it was excellently done and very touching. A lot of the outdoor scenes were filmed close to where I live. The film crew really appreciated the support they were given by the local community and this was acknowledged in the closing credits.

Some great acting performances and the story itself is one in the eye for those scouser detractors amongst us.
    Saw it last night - thought it was really well shot and very moving in places. Jamie Bell stood out for me and it really took me back to that time.

Some nice comic touches and a film that deserves a wider viewing. The only downside was Steven Graham wearing another dodgy wig - almost as bad as the one he wore to play Billy Bremner in 'The Damned United'.

• Options

Chaz Hill said:

JamesSeed said:

Saw it last night - thought it was really well shot and very moving in places. Jamie Bell stood out for me and it really took me back to that time.

Some nice comic touches and a film that deserves a wider viewing. The only downside was Steven Graham wearing another dodgy wig - almost as bad as the one he wore to play Billy Bremner in 'The Damned United'.

Lol at the Steven Graham wig. Just needed a tash to complete the stereo type. Great actor though. The price of 2 pints back then brought a few mutterings from the audience.
  • Options

Not seen it mentioned but has anyone seen Brawl in Cell Block 99?

Vince Vaughn is very good in this, far from comedy role.
    I felt it was a little slow to start but very good overall.
    I remember thinking after 20 minutes this needs to get a move on, but looking back I think the slow start was brilliant in building up what was to come.

Brutally violent at times, I genuinely shouted "Oh My God" at the screen during 2 or 3 scenes.

Currently at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, Vaughn getting a lot of praise for his performance, rightly so.

It was better than I expected it to be and I also winced at some of the more brutal scenes.

Solid 7/10 for me, it was slow in parts and he conveniently managed to get moved to exactly where he needed to be very quickly but was still a decent watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Ms AA went to see Film Stars.... She found it completely unengaging and the relationship between the main characters not at all believable. Horses for courses and all that.
    I loved it. The scenario is slightly unbelievable, but it also happens to be a true story.
  • Options
    We went to see Justice League at the weekend (or was it the weekend before?) anyway it was good. I find the DC movies more grown up and 'darker' in some way than those made my Marvel. There is a lot less humour and more kind of 'troubled characters' among the heroes. It's basically a lot less fun and carefree.

Still a good movie but I wouldn't say it's as uplifting as the Marvel movies. I didn't come out with a smile on my face but I will, almost certainly, watch all the movies they make.

Having said that I do feel as though the time of the super hero movies might be coming to an end - there is certainly a feeling of saturation.
  • Options

We went to see Justice League at the weekend (or was it the weekend before?) anyway it was good. I find the DC movies more grown up and 'darker' in some way than those made my Marvel. There is a lot less humour and more kind of 'troubled characters' among the heroes. It's basically a lot less fun and carefree.

Still a good movie but I wouldn't say it's as uplifting as the Marvel movies. I didn't come out with a smile on my face but I will, almost certainly, watch all the movies they make.

Having said that I do feel as though the time of the super hero movies might be coming to an end - there is certainly a feeling of saturation.

Marvel have 20 more lined up, I read this morning!

An interesting take on JL, and easily the most positive review I have read so far. I was looking forward to seeing it just to see how bad it is.

I gather it's quite surprising that it isn't as incoherent as Suicide Squad, what with Snyder leaving halfway through and Joss Whedon trying to make the best of it. Did you notice one character's really dodgy upper lip? Apparently they had to CGI his moustache, which he'd grown for another movie.
  • Options
    Superhero films are usually an easy money maker though... Definitely dont see them coming to an end as if you go back through the decades to the 80s - There have always been a good handful released each time
  • Options

I can't see them coming to an end any time soon. As well as DC's and Marvel's catalogues of A-list, B-list and even Z-list SHs, there are lots of other companies putting out SH comics so there are lots of other characters to be mined. Every one that makes a profit will be ripe for a second outing and then a re-invention (hello, Spider-Man).
  • Options
    We went to see The Florida Project. Whilst it's a good enough film, it didn't say anything that Andrea Arnold's Wasp hadn't already said.
  • Options
    Avengers: Infinity War trailer has finally been released for those who like me love what Marvel have been doing
  • Options

Avengers: Infinity War trailer has finally been released for those who like me love what Marvel have been doing

Half a million views in 20 minutes
  • Options
    Latest Silver Screen Club outing:
    Battle of the Sexes. It's about the time Bobby Riggs challenged Billie Jean King.
    Excellent 7/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's your scale if excellent is 7/10? :wink:
  • Options

10 = supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • Options
    And has anyone ever seen a movie they regard as worthy of a 10 on that scale?
  • Options
    Mary Poppins
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Mary Poppins

DvD's accent?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

And has anyone ever seen a movie they regard as worthy of a 10 on that scale?

That's a question that deserves some thought but probably the answer is no....but in the meantime just back from Cuba and my flying entertainment allowed me to catch up with the following on a small screen with abysmal audio;

Alien Covenant - 6/10 meh
    The Limehouse Golem - 4/10 poo
    Mindhorn - 6.5/10, predictable plot, some good gags tho and Simon Farnaby was great
    Spider-Man - I'd have loved all these superhero movies if they'd have come out when I was a kid but I'm bored shitless of them now, especially with all the dopey alien shit but this one was okay
    The Keith & Paddy picture show - not actual movies but passed the time with a chortle or two...
  • Options
    I liked the new Spider-Man, Tom Holland was good in it, just didn’t like the whole iron man/avengers interference. I know why it was there, I just prefer Spider-Man to be about Spider-Man. I thought the fact he was younger and the comedy in it, made it different enough from the rest.
  • Options

I liked the new Spider-Man, Tom Holland was good in it, just didn’t like the whole iron man/avengers interference. I know why it was there, I just prefer Spider-Man to be about Spider-Man. I thought the fact he was younger and the comedy in it, made it different enough from the rest.

Yeah the avengers, particularly crappy captain America, make me wish I was mowing the lawn or something....
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

10 = supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    How did you guess?

Really excellent is 8
    Awesome is 9
    supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (or really awesome) is 10
  • Options
    So as underwhelmed as I am, my Star Wars tickets are for tomorrow, I'm moderately interested to see what a mess it will/might be, @JiMMy 85 have you seen it yet?