Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Churchill. Bittersweet film in many ways, shattering some of my illusions about the great man. My grandparents spoke in hero worshipping tones about the man in the many war stories I grew up hearing in the 60's, so Winstons dark side never really materialised in those. I went to Chartwell for the very first time last April and spent a wonderful afternoon in Winston's home....a remarkable man undoubtedly. Well acted, but dwelt a little too much on his dark side. 7/10
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Free State Of Jones with Matthew McConaughey as a defiant southern farmer during the American civil war. It is a great looking film and could have been an epic had the director added another hour to flesh out some of the stories taking place within it but instead it felt rushed for a film of 2hours and 20 mins.
  • Options
    Murder on the orient express.

A stellar cast, who I thought were underused, would like to have seen a bit more character development , can’t remember the original ones ending, so will have to rewatch it to see if it’s the same.

No spoilers, except to say it wasn’t the Butler!

6 out of 10

• Options
    Saw Death of Stalin last night.
    Enjoyed it, a good number of laugh out loud moments, not too heavy on the swearing in comparison to The Thick of It. Good performances throughout.
    7/10
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Murder on the orient express.

A stellar cast, who I thought were underused, would like to have seen a bit more character development , can’t remember the original ones ending, so will have to rewatch it to see if it’s the same.

No spoilers, except to say it wasn’t the Butler!

6 out of 10

More significantly, worst Moustache EVER!
  • Options
    The Circle.....Interesting film with Tom Hanks playing a bit part villain. Pointedly about Google and perhaps to a lesser degree Facebook, but interesting and a good performance by Emily Watson. 6/10
  • Options
    TEL said:

The Circle.....Interesting film with Tom Hanks playing a bit part villain. Pointedly about Google and perhaps to a lesser degree Facebook, but interesting and a good performance by Emily Watson. 6/10

Wasn’t bad, book is better.
  • Options
    Tried to watch the latest Transformers film last night, very poor, made it to the hour mark and then waved the white flag on it
  • Options

Tried to watch the latest Transformers film last night, very poor, made it to the hour mark and then waved the white flag on it

I thought that was shocking , i couldn't believe how bad it was.
  • Options

I’m bedridden. Got to the 8th minute of Transformers this morning, and that was enough.

Also, The Mummy wasn’t as bad as I expected, but I did think it’s a story that will always be a bit dull now we’ve seen it all. And for a film in which almost every character dies at some point, there was a remarkable lack of peril.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw The Party yesterday. Silver Screen Club at The Clapham Picture house (discount for over sixties) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FuSuWienM

Excellent. More going on than you can tell from the trailer.
  • Options
    I went to see Thor Ragnarok yesterday. My thirteen year old son and I thought it was fantastic. Very funny in places and fast paced.

I have to say that I'm not vouching for any artistic integrity or super camera work but it was great fun to watch.

We are big fans of Marvel though so that might be a factor - although we both though the second Thor film was rubbish.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I’m bedridden. Got to the 8th minute of Transformers this morning, and that was enough.

Also, The Mummy wasn’t as bad as I expected, but I did think it’s a story that will always be a bit dull now we’ve seen it all. And for a film in which almost every character dies at some point, there was a remarkable lack of peril.
    I'm so annoyed with how the transformers films have all turned out. As a child obsessed with them in the mid 80's the thought of a live action film would have made me shit out a rainbow.

Whilst I thought the humour in this one was ok the story in this one and all the others has been abominable. All of these films could have been amazing but they follow the same pattern and I have the same feeling after watching them
  • Options
    Singularity.

Third rate acting, third rate production, third rate effects, third rate writing. You get the picture, I had to double check this wasn't a tv movie. Shame, as I think there is a decent story in there.

Terminator meets Event Horizon in a really bad way.
  • Options
    The Florida project

This is about a summer in the life of a group of little kids living in a dirt-cheap hotel near Disney World, whose often transient residents live a hand-to-mouth existence. It focuses, in particular, on a fearless, hyper-active and ebullient little six-year old girl, Moonee, and her well meaning but rather dissolute young mum, who is really little more than a kid herself. It's a warm film, much of which is seen from the children's perspective, and the performances - especially from the kids and Willem Defoe, as the overworked and warm-hearted hotel manager - are exceptionally good. It won't be to everyone's taste but I found it a very interesting and quietly absorbing film - 8/10.
  • Options
    Catching up on some big films I’ve missed over the past couple of years and watched The Hateful Eight last night. Apart from being far too long, a muddled storyline, clunky dialogue, characters that made no sense or didn’t care about, way too much use of the N word, a bit too gory and a pointless narrative that kicked in half way through it was a good looking film.
  • Options
    Also catching up on films:

Hacksaw Ridge- great film- 8
    Spotlight- well made and acted- 7
    Lego Batman Movie- didn't like it at all, nor did my grand-daughter- 3
    My Little Pony: The Movie- not as terrible as I expected- 5
    Manchester by the Sea- dreary, slow and didn't move me- 4
    The Accountant- enjoyable action film, cheesy ending- 7
    Pilgrimage- good solid film- 7

Also, sorry if wrong thread but I just finished the Mindhunter series on Netflix. I thought it was very good- 8
  • Options

I went to see Thor Ragnarok yesterday. My thirteen year old son and I thought it was fantastic. Very funny in places and fast paced.

I have to say that I'm not vouching for any artistic integrity or super camera work but it was great fun to watch.

We are big fans of Marvel though so that might be a factor - although we both though the second Thor film was rubbish.

@kings hill addick Being a Marvel fan, what did you think of Logan? I thought it the best Marvel film by a long way, and a good film by any standards.
  • Options
    Talking about catching up with missed films, I watched Wheatley's Free Fire a couple of days ago. People shooting at each other for three-quarters of the running time doesn't sound like a recipe for success but it was quite enjoyable. However, it's not as good as his Sightseers.
  • Options

@kings hill addick Being a Marvel fan, what did you think of Logan? I thought it the best Marvel film by a long way, and a good film by any standards.
    I also thought it was very good but being a 15 it meant that my son couldn’t come to the cinema to watch it with me which, kind of, took the shine off it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I also thought it was very good but being a 15 it meant that my son couldn’t come to the cinema to watch it with me which, kind of, took the shine off it for me.
    There are 200 comic book movies. I think it’s fair to let adults have one of them.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

There are 200 comic book movies. I think it’s fair to let adults have one of them.
    Indeed. I have no issue with it, and it was certainly not suitable for young children but when you do something with a specific person and then you can’t share something with them it is not as enjoyable an experience.

Imagine if we made it to a Cup Final and the FA made it a 15 game? I guess there would be a few Mums’s and Dad’s that would say that it took the shine off not being able to take their children that normally go with them.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Saw The Party yesterday. Silver Screen Club at The Clapham Picture house (discount for over sixties) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FuSuWienM

Excellent. More going on than you can tell from the trailer.

Really enjoyed this film - very well acted and very funny.
    Blucher said:

The Florida project

This is about a summer in the life of a group of little kids living in a dirt-cheap hotel near Disney World, whose often transient residents live a hand-to-mouth existence. It focuses, in particular, on a fearless, hyper-active and ebullient little six-year old girl, Moonee, and her well meaning but rather dissolute young mum, who is really little more than a kid herself. It's a warm film, much of which is seen from the children's perspective, and the performances - especially from the kids and Willem Defoe, as the overworked and warm-hearted hotel manager - are exceptionally good. It won't be to everyone's taste but I found it a very interesting and quietly absorbing film - 8/10.

Saw this last night. Very well acted and thought the child actors were outstanding.

A very low key film and really shows the struggle of day to day life in Florida. Dafoe was excellent as the manager.
  • Options
    Another thumbs up for The Party. Very funny, clever and intriguing. Really enjoyed it, and it got funnier as it went on. A short film, 70 minutes or so, but very enjoyable. 8/10.
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching baby driver
    Fantastic movie
  • Options
    Watched Logan Lucky yesterday. It was slow and not funny at all. Couldn't believe it was directed by Soderbergh. Two hours wasted. 5/10.
  • Options
    Saw Paddington 2 with my daughter - best family film I've seen in a long time. Hugh Grant was surprisingly good and there are some very funny bits. 9/10
  • Options

Saw Paddington 2 with my daughter - best family film I've seen in a long time. Hugh Grant was surprisingly good and there are some very funny bits. 9/10

I took my 4 year old and she loved it. I thought it was good as well, didn't drag and kept her focused the whole time.
  • Options
    Not seen it mentioned but has anyone seen Brawl in Cell Block 99?

Vince Vaughn is very good in this, far from comedy role.
    I felt it was a little slow to start but very good overall.
    I remember thinking after 20 minutes this needs to get a move on, but looking back I think the slow start was brilliant in building up what was to come.

Brutally violent at times, I genuinely shouted "Oh My God" at the screen during 2 or 3 scenes.

Currently at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, Vaughn getting a lot of praise for his performance, rightly so.
  • Options

Not seen it mentioned but has anyone seen Brawl in Cell Block 99?

Vince Vaughn is very good in this, far from comedy role.
    I felt it was a little slow to start but very good overall.
    I remember thinking after 20 minutes this needs to get a move on, but looking back I think the slow start was brilliant in building up what was to come.

Brutally violent at times, I genuinely shouted "Oh My God" at the screen during 2 or 3 scenes.

Currently at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, Vaughn getting a lot of praise for his performance, rightly so.

Honestly, I took one look at the poster and thought it was straight-to-video rubbish, but now I am very tempted to give it a shot.