Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Not a film as such but I saw Steven Spielbergs follow-up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific is in production and it's called The Mighty 8th. It tells the story of B-17 crews and the dangerous daylight bombing raids they undertook during WWII.

I also saw Ridley Scott is doing a remake of the Battle of Britain.

Great if you're a fan of WWII era films.

Glad to hear Mighty 8th is finally in production. Was well excited when i first heard about it but then nothing happened for years.
  • Options

Not a film as such but I saw Steven Spielbergs follow-up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific is in production and it's called The Mighty 8th. It tells the story of B-17 crews and the dangerous daylight bombing raids they undertook during WWII.

Thats VERY interesting re: the Spielberg production!! The Pacific wasnt as good as BoB but will definitely watch the new one
  • Options
    Just seen IT, was as a sack of shit. Surprised there has been so much love for it. Too long, no lineage and not scary.
  • Options
    Talal said:

McBobbin said:

Seeing IT on Monday, very.muxh looking forward to it.

Working through the horror films on NowTV at the moment.

Best I've seen of the bunch are Ouija Origin of evil (very scary), Don't Breath (about some people breaking into a blind guys house to rob him. Not supernatural at all but brilliantly directed, very recommend) and Lights Out... Not particularly original but a good solid scary horror flick.

Other horror recommendations gratefully received

We watched the ouija film last night thanks to your post. Not as scary as I was expecting, we were laughing at a few scenes that were meant to be scary which is never a good sign. Still, quite enjoyed it.
    Already commented on Don't Breathe on here, really liked that one.
    Plan to watch Light's Out.

Couple to try if you haven't already.... 'Hush' 'Get Out'.
    Avoid 'It Follows', really just a waste of time.
    Thanks I was thinking of starting a horror film thread... Working my way through the list on Now TV. I saw get out btw, excellent film.

Shame you didn't find Ouija scarier, made my nerves jangle that one.

Anyway, last few nights I saw some classics... The Thing and Pet Sematary. Had seen neither before. Both had dated, but I think I liked the thing more. I liked the paranoia and claustrophobia more, although pet cematary lasted longer in mind due to the subject matter.

I'll keep out an eye for Hush.

Don't bother with Darling. The VVitch is ok, but ruined by having me being unable to stop thinking "that's Chris Finch from the office".

Right, some classics I recommend are foreign ones that were remade badly... [Rec] (remade as quarantine) and Martyrs. They were badass. Japanese Ring films are good but I don't mind the US remake, probably because I saw it first.
  • Options
    Coming to this film late but Train to Busan is absolutely brilliant. A Korean horror/zombie/disaster film with a brilliant script and story, and a really poignant ending. Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Baby Driver

I was reluctant to watch Baby Driver because a friend of mine described this as a musical and i run a mile from musicals. Thankfully , although it's rammed pack full of music , it's definitely not a musical in my opinion.
    This is the story of a getaway driver called Baby who because of tinnitus , lives his life with his headphones in and a constant soundtrack playing . He meets a girl in a diner and he sees it as his chance to get out of the crime game.
    I can see why my friend thought this was a musical because in places it's choreographed like one but thankfully the music comes from a brilliant soundtrack and not spontaneous singing.
    I actually think that the music is so good it becomes the star of this film and not the actors. The story is ok , it starts really well but is unable maintain the adrenaline filled first twenty minutes and gets baggier the longer the film goes on.
    It's a brave film to make from Edgar Wright and for the most part it works and i'm all for more films with brilliant soundtracks. Guardians of the Galaxy aside they seem few and far between nowadays.

7 out of 10.

https://youtu.be/D9YZw_X5UzQ
  • Options
    How good does Gary Oldman look as Churchill?

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Coming to this film late but Train to Busan is absolutely brilliant. A Korean horror/zombie/disaster film with a brilliant script and story, and a really poignant ending. Highly recommend it.

Yes, Train to Busan is excellent. Try the animated prequel too, Seoul Station.
  • Options
    The Snowman & The Ritual look good from the trailers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a film called Heaven Knows What last night. A couple of years old. it's about junkies in New York and is pretty grim, but worth a watch
  • Options
    Like Manuel, I know nuuuuthing about The Ritual but looking forward to The Snowman as I've read most of Jo Nesbo's books.
  • Options
    Seen some crackers this week -

Detroit - Brilliantly done. Tense as fuck, brilliantly acted, harrowing and disturbing. Partly because I get the sense that the US hasn't entirely changed.

Thelma - Norwegian horror/ thriller. Basically this is Carrie Goes To College, with a touch of Unbreakable, plus Let The Right One In's atmosphere. Probably my film of the year at the moment.

IT - Very well done. Child acting is excellent, the characters are given plenty of time to develop. Some of the scares are a bit 2000s, shrieking-violin, he's-behind-you schtick, but I didn't really mind that too much.

Happily recommend seeing all three.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Shot Caller

The name Nikolaj Coster-Waldau may not be the most recognisable name to most people but Game of Thrones fans will know him as  Jaime Lannister. I'm a big fan in GOT but funnily enough I don't actually think Coster-Waldau gets to vent his acting chops too much in it. In Shot Caller he certainly does.
    It's the story of a banker , Jacob Harlon ,who is sent to prison for causing the death of his friend while drink driving. While in prison he realises that he has to leave his previous life behind and adapt to the brutality of his new surroundings in order to survive. But even after being released, he is still caught up in the prison's gang rivalries.
    This film was right up my street. I love the grittiness of it and the fact that the main character realised pretty quickly that there was only one way he was going to survive. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is fantastic in it. You wouldn't recognise the pre prison Jacob to the institutionalised Jacob because he does such a great job and the rest of the cast are good too.
    Highly Recommended

8 out of 10

https://youtu.be/QQxjyRr9k2E
  • Options
    Not a latest film re watched the "Eichman Show" on Netflix. Very good drama.

Martin Freeman, kinda surprised to see him in the lead role but thought he was good. He's come a long way since The Office.
  • Options
    A Ghost Story
    Wanted to like it, tried to like it. Just couldn't.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the new Kingsman film yet? Going tomorrow
  • Options
    Not a new film but saw Next Goal Wins the other night, best sports documentary I have seen in ages.
  • Options

Loved the first one... Cant wait for this second
  • Options
    Not a film, but my friends say the new Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam is brilliant and a must watch. I plan to as soon as harvest is over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This will be a hard act to follow, I thought the original was immense.
  • Options

My boy loved it but to me it just got silly with some ridiculous fight scenes and wtf Elton John was on i don't know.
    For a film aimed at teenagers?? Some unnecessarily crude moments to.
  • Options
    I know its not out on general release yet, but has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049 yet?
    Got tickets to see on Imax on Friday and reviews so far seem fantastic.
  • Options

My boy loved it but to me it just got silly with some ridiculous fight scenes and wtf Elton John was on i don't know.
    What was Taron Egerton like this time around... With the first Kingsman being his first ever film I thought he was a brilliant choice, combine that with his performance in Eddie the Eagle I think he could be an excellent actor for years to come.
  • Options

I know its not out on general release yet, but has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049 yet?

Seeing it tonight. Really, really excited. Will report back after.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I've read two reviews and they both give it 5 stars. I think I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't keen on the original but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with this.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I've read two reviews and they both give it 5 stars. I think I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't keen on the original but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with this.
    I like and respect the original, but I don't bother watching it ever. It's too cold and moody for me I suppose. I was watching the abysmal Alien Covenant last night, and that touches on some of the same themes, only to descend into stupidity.

What I am keen on is Denis Villeneuve taking over from Ridley Scott, whose storytelling skills are a major problem now!
  • Options
    The original was brilliant , my favourite film of all time, spolit a little by an anti-climactic ending. The moodiness of it is one of the things that really makes it for me.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

You most certainly not the only person who isn't keen on the original, thought I was very average the first time I saw it when it came out. Still very average when I watched it around 5 years ago
  • Options

What was Taron Egerton like this time around... With the first Kingsman being his first ever film I thought he was a brilliant choice, combine that with his performance in Eddie the Eagle I think he could be an excellent actor for years to come.
    Taron seems perfect for the part and carries it off well.