Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I know its not out on general release yet, but has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049 yet?
    Got tickets to see on Imax on Friday and reviews so far seem fantastic.

Seeing it tonight. Really, really excited. Will report back after.
    I've read two reviews and they both give it 5 stars. I think I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't keen on the original but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with this.
    You most certainly not the only person who isn't keen on the original, thought I was very average the first time I saw it when it came out. Still very average when I watched it around 5 years ago
    One of the few.
    However,for me the real star of the original was Rutger Hauer - his moody . menacing figure was one of the best movie performances ever. I wonder if anyone will replace him in the same way with the new version.
  • Options
    Blade Runner 2049 is fantastic.

Unsurprisingly, it has the look and sound of Arrival, and a plot that's intriguing, but really it's about the themes that underpinned the first Blade Runner.

It's not a remake or rehash. Has a detective story but that's about it regarding plot similarities.

Mostly it's... engrossing. The bigger the screen and the louder the audio the better. I loved it as an experience. Got totally sucked into that world.

Only negative is Sony's marketing department insisting on getting the brand name on screen three times. Wankers.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Definitely not a latest film. I watched the 1974 film Young Frankenstein for the first time at the weekend just because I'd read so many good things about it.
    It did nothing for me .
    I admire the way it looked and I thought Marty Feldman was funny but apart from that I don't see how this became such a cult hit. I probably laughed three times .

* I wonder if someone can change the title of this thread to just films so older films can be discussed *
  • Options

Death Note

Death Note is following the trend of making films based on Japanese Manga stories. I know absolutely nothing about Manga so coming to this with a fresh pair of eyes is probably a good thing.
    It's the story of a student , Lite Turner , who comes across a mystical notebook that has the power to kill any person whose name he writes in it. After using the books power he finds himself pursued by a detective known only by the alias L.
    The first half hour of this film is great. The introduction of the creature Ryuk and the first few deaths had me gripped but sadly it doesn't take too long for it to go downhill. When it starts to introduce the detective and his Japanese counterparts it loses lots of it's appeal. If it had stuck to the horror aspect instead of turning into a detective thriller it would have been much better. While I understand it has to stick to the Manga story to appease the fans it doesn't do this film any favours at all. The actor who plays L , Lakeith Stanfield , looks like he's trying too hard also .
    The film does ask some interesting questions like whether man should play god and there is no doubt it's entertaining in parts but i feel it could have been so much better.
    Available on Netflix.

6 out of 10

https://youtu.be/gvxNaSIB_WI

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Unsurprisingly, it has the look and sound of Arrival, and a plot that's intriguing, but really it's about the themes that underpinned the first Blade Runner.

It's not a remake or rehash. Has a detective story but that's about it regarding plot similarities.

Mostly it's... engrossing. The bigger the screen and the louder the audio the better. I loved it as an experience. Got totally sucked into that world.

Only negative is Sony's marketing department insisting on getting the brand name on screen three times. Wankers.

Just been to see it - thought it was brilliant. Very well shot and the soundtrack works really well. Links in well to the first film and creates a very dark view of the future.

Not sure if it will appeal to a mass audience if they're expecting a standard sci-fi. Helps to have seen the first film.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

Just been to see it - thought it was brilliant. Very well shot and the soundtrack works really well. Links in well to the first film and creates a very dark view of the future.

Not sure if it will appeal to a mass audience if they're expecting a standard sci-fi. Helps to have seen the first film.
    Watching it tonight on IMAX , looking forward to it.
    Apparently its over 2.5 hours long?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Watching it tonight on IMAX , looking forward to it.
    Apparently its over 2.5 hours long?
    A long film but it didn't drag. Needs to be seen on a big screen.
  • Options
    Saw blade runner 2049 at imax this afternoon. Didn't see the original, but think I got it! Although now going to read reviews and plot to make sure! Immersing experience and defo would recommend seeing it on a big screen. Saw in 2D. Not sure 3D would add much except for snow effects.
  • Options
    Watched the original Blade Runner again last night - pretty amazing considering it was made in 1982. The new film definitely captures the same atmosphere.
  • Options
    Saw Richard linklater’s new film “last flag flying” at the London film festival last night. Doesn’t get released til next month. Nothing incredible but got just the right balance between makes you cry and makes you piss yourself with laughter. Steve carrell is just a great dramatic actor. Fishburne and Cranston play slight caricatures but it was a good couple of hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Blade Runner over the weekend - IMAX and 3D, however, ditched the 3D glasses after an hour or so, as it didn't seem to make much difference apart from make the screen that bit darker.
    Film was very good, however, still not as good as the original - it seemed far more complex in terms of the plot this time round and left me scratching my head a bit at times. The first hour was a bit turgid and i'm sure could have been shortened but livened up after a while.
    As I suspected, there was no Rutger Hauer performance in this one (who was monumental in the first one), and also didn't think Ryan Gosling was the best choice for Agent K. So overall, I suppose a little bit disappointing in view of the super reviews it has received, but still very good.
  • Options
    I saw 'The Guardians' (France) at the London Film Festival earlier today (UK release date to be confirmed).

Directed by Xavier Beauvois (‘Of Gods and Men’), this story focuses on one family farm and the group of women who are left to tend the land while their sons, husbands and lovers are away fighting in First World War. It’s a relatively low-key, restrained but powerful film, with some very fine performances and magnificent cinematography of the French countryside. I found it a shade long at 134 minutes but, overall, thought it was very good.
  • Options
    The Dark Tower.....a bit of a "meh" film for me, a minor part for the amazing Katheryn Winnick, and as much as I admire both Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba, they couldnt save what was a poor film. 4/10
  • Options
    New Star Wars trailer has now unexcited me about the film....
  • Options
    Another thumbs up for Bladerunner from me.

Thought it was 100x the film Ghosts In The Machine was, which explored similar themes. Effects and cgi were good without being totally overpowering and the lead female protagonist in particular was excellent.

Won't say any more plot wise and RG and HF worked well together in my view. If that's the future you can keep it thanks!
  • Options
    Original Bladerunner is my all time favourite film and Philip K Dick one of my favourite authors. The atmosphere and feel of the movie, the pace and the music. Was really excited to go and see Bladerunner 2049 at the weekend. It didn't disappoint. Didn't notice that is was 163 minutes long either. Seemed to re-capture a lot of the feel and atmosphere of the first and thought both Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling were superb - as was 'Joi'! Wasn't as good as the original but few sequels (and this is a genuine sequel) are. Want to see it again.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

New Star Wars trailer has now unexcited me about the film....

Yeah dont know what to think...

That bit at the end with Ren holding out his hand to the girl (cant remember her name) looks very similar to the end of Empire Strikes Back when Darth Vadar is holding his hand out to Luke after chopping his hand off
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I know its not out on general release yet, but has anyone seen Blade Runner 2049 yet?

I've read two reviews and they both give it 5 stars. I think I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't keen on the original but I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with this.
    You most certainly not the only person who isn't keen on the original, thought I was very average the first time I saw it when it came out. Still very average when I watched it around 5 years ago
    One of the few.
    However,for me the real star of the original was Rutger Hauer - his moody . menacing figure was one of the best movie performances ever. I wonder if anyone will replace him in the same way with the new version.
    Blade Runner is one of my two most favouritest films, the other being American Graffiti, so I approached 2049 with a hint of trepidation. I needn't have worried. It is true to the original, expands on the ideas, but is very much its own film. Ms AA isn't a sci-fi fan but she really enjoyed it, too.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Very much so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

One of the few.
    Blade Runner is one of my two most favouritest films, the other being American Graffiti, so I approached 2049 with a hint of trepidation. I needn't have worried. It is true to the original, expands on the ideas, but is very much its own film. Ms AA isn't a sci-fi fan but she really enjoyed it, too.
    I'm not a sci-fi fan and it's only really the Blade Runner films and Arrival that I've really enjoyed of this type of film.

Blade Runner was amazing considering it was made in 1982 and it gave a dark vision of a dysfunctional future that was far more interesting than the average sci-fi film. The 2049 film captured the same feel and it's hard to do a direct comparison between the two because of the technology available when the films were made.

• Options
    Wind River. Superb cast, harrowing story. Best film of 2017 to date for me and a solid 9/10
  • Options
    TEL said:

Wind River. Superb cast, harrowing story. Best film of 2017 to date for me and a solid 9/10

THanks TEL. Had this on my watch list but it's gone from my local already.
  • Options
    TEL said:

I saw this recently and thought it was very powerful - one of many good films I've seen this year.
  • Options
    Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night (3D IMAX). Like what has been said I thought the plot was hard to follow at times, maybe a good thing but seemed to drag on.
    Special effects and sound tracks are some of the best I've seen but dont think 3D made a big difference, so not worth the extra expense.
  • Options
    Have seen the Glass Castle and Mother! in the last few days.

Glass Castle is about a dysfunctional family where the children have to cope with their free spirited parents. Woody Harrelson plays the alcoholic father who keeps screwing up and Brie Larson one of the daughters. Very watchable and based on a true memoir. - not a bad film and the child actors have some good performances.

Mother! is very weird - it's about the relationship between a writer and his wife and its destruction through a constant stream of visitors to their home. Very disturbing and violent - Jennifer Lawrence's character is supposed to depict Mother Earth and Bardem the creator.

Helps if you know your bible references..
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Sweet Country (Australia)

I saw this at the London Film Festival and it’s UK release date has yet to be announced. Set in the Australian outback in the early 1920s and loosely based on an actual case, it tells the story of a middle-aged Aboriginal farmhand who, in fear for his life, kills a violent, boorish and racist landowner whilst acting in self-defence. Lacking any faith in the local justice system (“I’m a blackfella who killed a whitefella”), he and his wife flee and are pursued across the bleak and beautiful landscape by the town’s racist police sergeant and his posse.

The screening was followed by an interesting Q & A with the director and cinematographer, Warwick Thornton, whose previous drama was the multiple award-winning ‘Samson and Delilah’. He said his intention was to make a Western type film without the usual cliches whilst, at the same time, shedding a light on what was really going in Australia in its treatment of the indigenous population. I thought he succeeded admirably and I found this a very powerful and interesting film. It also benefitted from excellent performances from veterans Sam Neill and Bryan Brown, as well as from the non-professional indigenous actors utilised by the director. Overall, a very good film - 8/10.
  • Options
    Went to see the Snowman last night, enjoyed the film, felt it could have been 10/15 minutes longer to deal with the antagonists back story in a bit more detail.

The "twist" might as well have been on a billboard too.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Sweet Country (Australia)

I saw this at the London Film Festival and it’s UK release date has yet to be announced. Set in the Australian outback in the early 1920s and loosely based on an actual case, it tells the story of a middle-aged Aboriginal farmhand who, in fear for his life, kills a violent, boorish and racist landowner whilst acting in self-defence. Lacking any faith in the local justice system (“I’m a blackfella who killed a whitefella”), he and his wife flee and are pursued across the bleak and beautiful landscape by the town’s racist police sergeant and his posse.

The screening was followed by an interesting Q & A with the director and cinematographer, Warwick Thornton, whose previous drama was the multiple award-winning ‘Samson and Delilah’. He said his intention was to make a Western type film without the usual cliches whilst, at the same time, shedding a light on what was really going in Australia in its treatment of the indigenous population. I thought he succeeded admirably and I found this a very powerful and interesting film. It also benefitted from excellent performances from veterans Sam Neill and Bryan Brown, as well as from the non-professional indigenous actors utilised by the director. Overall, a very good film - 8/10.

Will look out for it.....sounds interesting.