Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    American Assassin. Much better than expected a solid 7.5/10
    Atomic Blonde. Bleh 5/10
    American Made. Very tongue in cheek and a bit of fun 6/10 Not to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Fumbluff said:

So as underwhelmed as I am, my Star Wars tickets are for tomorrow, I'm moderately interested to see what a mess it will/might be, @JiMMy 85 have you seen it yet?

Yeah I’ve seen it. Not sure what to think. I enjoyed every second of it, it’s got some wonderful sequences, but I find it hard to disagree with the criticism. The plot has a few major issues.

Certainly something I would change is the humour. Way too many jokes. But I enjoyed it and would like to see it again!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fumbluff said:

So as underwhelmed as I am, my Star Wars tickets are for tomorrow, I'm moderately interested to see what a mess it will/might be, @JiMMy 85 have you seen it yet?

Yeah I’ve seen it. Not sure what to think. I enjoyed every second of it, it’s got some wonderful sequences, but I find it hard to disagree with the criticism. The plot has a few major issues.

Certainly something I would change is the humour. Way too many jokes. But I enjoyed it and would like to see it again!
    Speaking of jokes, Ms AA wasn't a fan of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet because it didn't have any jokes in it. I had to point out, it's one of Shakespeare's tragedies and the clue's kind of in the description.

Re Star Wars, going tomorrow, looking forward to it in a way I wasn't with Attack of the Clones.
  • Options
    Went to see Battle of the Sexes - very entertaining film and interesting reflection on sexism in the world of tennis during the 70s. I'd forgotten what an influential and brave figure Billie Jean King was in confronting the tennis authorities.

The acting was good with the exception of Alan Cumming whose performance was truly shocking.
  • Options
    I finally saw Hidden Figures last night. Really enjoyable film throughout - no major oddities or challenges, but a very good, well acted film, with a nice feel good factor, which as a Charlton fan, my life often misses.

8.5/10
  • Options
    Saw The Florida Project last week. Was ok, but only ok, and I came out feeling a bit disappointed with it. 6.

Looking forward the Three Billboards coming out in January though.
  • Options
    Watched Mother! tonight. A dark and twisted anxiety fuelled film. I recommend it. 7.5/10
  • Options
    Pawn Sacrifice the story of Bobby Fischer/Boris Spassky 1972 World Chess Championship. Excellent stuff really enjoyed it, I have played a bit of chess in my time but I had no idea of the global impact of the match at the time. 8/10
  • Options

IT

I loved the original IT film/Mini series and the Stephen King book even more so , so it was always going to be hard to live up to expectations especially when my opinion was that a remake was unnecessary but I actually really enjoyed this.
    Director Andy Muschietti tells the story in a different way that the book does. Where in the original it skips between the kids and the adults story this solely concentrates on the kids battle with Pennywise the clown. It does feel a little bit like The Goonies or Stranger Things and for that reason I didn't think it was overly scary but it does have it's moments.
    Bill Skarsgård had massive boots to fill ( excuse the pun) to be as good as Tim Curry's Pennywise and he definitely isn't as scary but he does a good enough job and at no stage was I bored . It's a really good film and I'm looking forward to the adults story in part 2.

8 out of 10

https://youtu.be/7no56Zw1e20
  • Options
    Watched Atomic Blonde last night. Thought it would be good as Mark Kermode rated it. Thought it was crap. It also confirmed that James McAvoy’s a rubbish actor.
    5 out of 10.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone seen Detroit? Just finished it, really good film, hard to watch in places due to the subject matter, glad I never lived in times like that.
  • Options
    One movie getting a lot of critical praise out here is "Lady Bird." Stars Saoirse Ronan. 100% Tomatometer. I found it very boring and over-rated. I could not keep from thinking about how Ronan looks way too old to play a high school kid. And I typically like independent, arthouse films. Give it 4/10.
  • Options
    Death of Stalin - really enjoyed this. 8/10
    Star Wars has it's ow thread. But it's ok, bit Disney-fied though.
  • Options

Anyone seen Detroit? Just finished it, really good film, hard to watch in places due to the subject matter, glad I never lived in times like that.

I thought it was incredible. Really brilliantly made film.
  • Options

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Yorgos Lanthimos is a really interesting director. Previous films include the very unorthodox Dogtooth & Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer is very much in the same mould but for me this is his best work to date.
    This is a psychological thriller about a surgeon who is forced to make an unthinkable sacrifice when a teenage boy from his past gives him an ultimatum. His life starts to fall apart when he realises he must pay for his past mistakes.
    When you start to watch this the first thing that hits you is the dialogue and the way the actors perform it. It's very monotone , robotic , almost emotionless . This is a group of people that acts unlike any other and it's mesmerising to watch. The acting is great. Colin Farrell , Barry Keoghan and Raffey Cassidy are superb and Keoghan takes creepy to a new level .
    This is based on a Greek mythology story about retribution and reminds me a lot of Michael Haneke's Funny Games. It's one of those films that sticks in your brain for a long while after watching it . It leaves you with lot's of questions ( in a good way) and the answers are pretty obvious when you sit and think about it.

Highly Recommended.

9 out of 10

https://youtu.be/CQFdGfwChtw
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I thought it was incredible. Really brilliantly made film.
    I agree. I thought the acting was great, Will Poulter did a top job of making me hate his character.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Saw The Florida Project last week. Was ok, but only ok, and I came out feeling a bit disappointed with it. 6.

Looking forward the Three Billboards coming out in January though.

I may've said this before but I didn't see anything in The Florida Project that wasn't done better In Andrea Arnold's Wasp. Ms AA thought similar but in respect of the Arnold's American Honey which is a comparison I've heard others make since.
  • Options

Yorgos Lanthimos is a really interesting director. Previous films include the very unorthodox Dogtooth & Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer is very much in the same mould but for me this is his best work to date.
    This is a psychological thriller about a surgeon who is forced to make an unthinkable sacrifice when a teenage boy from his past gives him an ultimatum. His life starts to fall apart when he realises he must pay for his past mistakes.
    When you start to watch this the first thing that hits you is the dialogue and the way the actors perform it. It's very monotone , robotic , almost emotionless . This is a group of people that acts unlike any other and it's mesmerising to watch. The acting is great. Colin Farrell , Barry Keoghan and Raffey Cassidy are superb and Keoghan takes creepy to a new level .
    This is based on a Greek mythology story about retribution and reminds me a lot of Michael Haneke's Funny Games. It's one of those films that sticks in your brain for a long while after watching it . It leaves you with lot's of questions ( in a good way) and the answers are pretty obvious when you sit and think about it.

Highly Recommended.

9 out of 10

A good reminder that it's not all about lightsabers!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Highly Recommended.

9 out of 10

A good reminder that it's not all about lightsabers!
    There are no lightsabers in The Killing of a Sacred Deer? You're supposed to warn before posting spoilers!
  • Options
    9/11 based on the book The Elevator
    Charlie Sheen & Jacqueline Bisset.
    Terrible and tragic day covered from a different angle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:

9/11 based on the book The Elevator
    Charlie Sheen & Jacqueline Bisset.
    Terrible and tragic day covered from a different angle

I've not seen it but my wife said it was awful and coming from her that's amazing. She watches some of the worst guff ever and generally enjoys it.
  • Options
    Isn’t Charlie Sheen part of the conspiracy theory / loose change movement? Is that what that movie is about?
  • Options

Bright

If there was ever any doubt that Netflix was a big player in the movie industry it's been confirmed with this big budget film and I for one am pleased they are because if the future of film watching is the latest blockbusters being streamed to your home instead of horrible cinema experience then bring it on!
    Set in an alternate present-day where humans, orcs, elves and fairies have been coexisting since the beginning of time, this follows two cops from very different backgrounds. Ward, a human and Jakoby, an orc , embark on a routine night patrol that will alter the future of their world as they know it.
    The first thing you notice about this film is how great it looks. The make up and special affects really are stunning. The second is how old Will Smith is looking.
    The film itself is pretty good. I'm not a big lover of fantasy movies but because this is set in a modern day, gritty world it feels more relative.
    I did prefer the first half where we follow the cops and they experience the prejudices amongst the public and their own colleagues more than the second half which is where the fantasy action goes into overdrive. Bright feels like a a cross between the 1988 film Alien Nation and the Underworld series of movies.
    If I had to criticise it , I would say it has too many clichés that get a little corny after a while but overall I enjoyed it.

7 out of 10

https://youtu.be/MUY3GVByRUs
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Bright

If there was ever any doubt that Netflix was a big player in the movie industry it's been confirmed with this big budget film and I for one am pleased they are because if the future of film watching is the latest blockbusters being streamed to your home instead of horrible cinema experience then bring it on!
    Set in an alternate present-day where humans, orcs, elves and fairies have been coexisting since the beginning of time, this follows two cops from very different backgrounds. Ward, a human and Jakoby, an orc , embark on a routine night patrol that will alter the future of their world as they know it.
    The first thing you notice about this film is how great it looks. The make up and special affects really are stunning. The second is how old Will Smith is looking.
    The film itself is pretty good. I'm not a big lover of fantasy movies but because this is set in a modern day, gritty world it feels more relative.
    I did prefer the first half where we follow the cops and they experience the prejudices amongst the public and their own colleagues more than the second half which is where the fantasy action goes into overdrive. Bright feels like a a cross between the 1988 film Alien Nation and the Underworld series of movies.
    If I had to criticise it , I would say it has too many clichés that get a little corny after a while but overall I enjoyed it.

7 out of 10

Like Netflix a lot, but love going to the pictures more. As an over 60 (you'd never guess of course) I get to be a member of the Picturehouse Silver Screen Club. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get to see a movie with free coffee (or tea) and biscuits for £6.50

I go at least once a week. The last film I saw there was The Death of Stalin which I really enjoyed. 8/10

It helps to be able to walk to the cinema (it's just across Clapham Common from me). Helps to get me out of the house in all weathers.

Watched Bright yesterday with Mrs D. Completely crazy movie that made some good points about prejudice and racism. 7/10

I'm waiting for the next series of Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. Should be out sometime in the new year I think?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Bright

7 out of 10

Like Netflix a lot, but love going to the pictures more. As an over 60 (you'd never guess of course) I get to be a member of the Picturehouse Silver Screen Club. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get to see a movie with free coffee (or tea) and biscuits for £6.50

I go at least once a week. The last film I saw there was The Death of Stalin which I really enjoyed. 8/10

It helps to be able to walk to the cinema (it's just across Clapham Common from me). Helps to get me out of the house in all weathers.

Watched Bright yesterday with Mrs D. Completely crazy movie that made some good points about prejudice and racism. 7/10

I'm waiting for the next series of Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. Should be out sometime in the new year I think?
    I’d go to the cinema more often I I had a decent independent one near me . The closest is Cambridge which is 45 minutes away .
    Sadly I have to put up with the usual multiplexes who show the same film ( usually Marvel or DC ) on half of the screens and think it’s a good idea to sell Nachos to customers to crunch during a film . The people running these places have no idea .
  • Options

Bright

7 out of 10

Far better than expected. 7.5/10 for me. It knows it's silly and is predictable at several points, but i still enjoyed it.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Bright

7 out of 10

I’d go to the cinema more often I I had a decent independent one near me . The closest is Cambridge which is 45 minutes away .
    Sadly I have to put up with the usual multiplexes who show the same film ( usually Marvel or DC ) on half of the screens and think it’s a good idea to sell Nachos to customers to crunch during a film . The people running these places have no idea .
    I'm fortunate enough to live five minutes from Henley Picturehouse. It's an excellent cinema and being able to take a glass of wine or beer in is a joy.
    But the popcorn munchers really piss me off, to the extent I complained to customer services about why they sell noisy food.
    Apparently they had trialled no popcorn but popular demand wanted it back.
    So what I do now is sit behind the popcorn eater and simply take off my trainers.
  • Options
    Might have to give Bright a watch now, all I read online Thursday night was saying it's one of the worst films in years!!!!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

JamesSeed said:

Bright

7 out of 10

I'm fortunate enough to live five minutes from Henley Picturehouse. It's an excellent cinema and being able to take a glass of wine or beer in is a joy.
    But the popcorn munchers really piss me off, to the extent I complained to customer services about why they sell noisy food.
    Apparently they had trialled no popcorn but popular demand wanted it back.
    So what I do now is sit behind the popcorn eater and simply take off my trainers.
    and this stops you hearing the popcorn? Thanks, might give it a try...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Bright

7 out of 10

I, too, prefer going to the flicks than watching at home but those who break the Code (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf) do annoy me.