Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MK Dons Boycott!

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Whatever happened to this? I thought everyone was so peed off with the franchising of Wimbledon to MK Dons that it was agreed that we'd all boycott the match if we ever played them.
Well this Saturday is the first time we have I think and no one has mentioned it. I am boycotting the game even if no one else is! I stick to my principles and it being my Godson's first birthday party at 3pm has nothing to with it........

From memory the last time we played Wimbledon was in our 1st Prem season, a mid-week game at home, it snowed, we won and John Barnes signed that day.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Whatever happened to this? I thought everyone was so peed off with the franchising of Wimbledon to MK Dons that it was agreed that we'd all boycott the match if we ever played them.
    Well this Saturday is the first time we have I think and no one has mentioned it. I am boycotting the game even if no one else is! I stick to my principles and it being my Godson's first birthday party at 3pm has nothing to with it........

From memory the last time we played Wimbledon was in our 1st Prem season, a mid-week game at home, it snowed, we won and John Barnes signed that day.
    Wasn't that the game of the infamous floodlight failure?
  • I think people meant boycotting the away game. But in any case i only think it'd be a handful of people. We go to support Charlton not the opposition.
  • I'm boycotting the away game. May go to Chesterfield V Rochdale instead as their ground is getting taking demolished this season and replaced with the same ground that Colchester are now playing it.
  • edited November 2009
    I think Chesterfields new ground is up on Whittington moor,i'll have a word with my Chesterfield based Addick mate...actually he lives in New Whittington so he can't be all that far away.

I'll be going to the MK away game...new ground and all that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I think people meant boycotting the away game. But in any case i only think it'd be a handful of people. We go to support Charlton not the opposition.

All but a hardy 300 boycotted the Northwich away game.

And we liked Northwich on here!

;o)
  • Does being very unhappy with the way the team's playing and not turning up on Saturday (fans and players) constitute a 'boycott'?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I think people meant boycotting the away game. But in any case i only think it'd be a handful of people. We go to support Charlton not the opposition.

All but a hardy 300 boycotted the Northwich away game.

And we liked Northwich on here!

;o)
    I think the fans who went to Northwich are the type who will boycott MK Dons away.
  • Maybe. Dunno. Not the point I meant to make.

It was just a tongue in cheek reply to Chris_from_Sidcup

:o)
  • As AFC Wimbledon fans said MK was the cup draw they wanted and almost certainly would have gone, I think it's all water under the bridge now
  • by no means is it water under the bridge.

A lot of bad blood still there
  • Sponsored links:

• And the way the premiership is set up to make the big clubs richer at the expense of the rest of the divisions will lead us fans to boycott any games should we reach there....

The club Wimbledon FC was going bust due to lack of fans and money and no ground.
    Whether it is right that MK Dons should have emerged from that or whether the club should have just folded and an extra Conference team join the next year is another point - but you can refer to various other threads to peoples opinion on that.
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]As AFC Wimbledon fans said MK was the cup draw they wanted and almost certainly would have gone, I think it's all water under the bridge now
    I take it you mean MK Dons at home? I doubt they would want to go to Milton Keynes, then again I doubt anyone WANTS to go there!!!
  • i agree, if your going to boycott a game should be at their place otherwise its negative for charlton
  • If you cast your minds back it was a pre season friendly game at their place which we all agreed to boycott.
    As a result the game didn't go ahead....I'm pleased to say.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm boycotting the away game. May go to Chesterfield V Rochdale instead as their ground is getting taking demolished this season and replaced with the same ground that Colchester are now playing it.

Where are Colchester going to play then ? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm boycotting the away game. May go to Chesterfield V Rochdale instead as their ground is getting taking demolished this season and replaced with the same ground that Colchester are now playing it.

Where are Colchester going to play then ? :-)
    Their version of the new Chesterfield Stadium! Shrewsbury also have one, oh the joys of lower league football!!
  • I'm boycotting the away game. AFC Wimbledon are away at Histon that weekend.
  • Not going up there.

See This Weeks "Anorak Addick" !!
  • Can you imagine what would happen if our club had to play games at Crystal Palace, like Wimbledon did? I can.

I can imagine that our fans would have stood by the club, raised money, raised the profile of the club, stuck to the team and tried to win the hearts and minds of the people controlling the club's fate. I can imagine that our fans would have been smart and concerned enough to gather together in an all-encompassing effort to get our club back to the Valley. I can even imagine them doing something really crazy like setting up a single-issue political party and fighting a public election to raise the issue further. Or turning up at the Valley to help - with bare hands - and start the process of re-uniting the club and the ground.

If only Wimbledon's fans could have been bothered. If only they had taken the time and care to do something about their club. If only they had done something a bit more positive than bleating and setting up their own "rival" team. Perhaps Wimbledon would now be playing in London.

The depths to which their club sank were not the fault of their supporters. But the fact they did next-to-nothing to win their club back is to their eternal shame. Having lived near to MK for a few years, I have nothing but admiration for the way MK Dons have conducted themselves as a model community club.

I wish MK Dons all the success that Wimbledon's original fans don't deserve.
  • Don't understand this boycotting business, ridiculous, follow your team. I'll be going to the away game to crack a new ground, and I'm sure I'll have a good day..

I belive that the National Hockey Stadium is due to be demolished soon. A sad day for ravers ;-(
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: YTS[/cite]I belive that the National Hockey Stadium is due to be demolished soon.
    They've moved from there now
  • Quality post Chizz...spot on.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: YTS[/cite]I belive that the National Hockey Stadium is due to be demolished soon.[/quote]They've moved from there now[/quote]

So where does your d&b fan go in MK these days then?
  • Don't agree Chizz,

I think the situation are different. Charlton moved relatively near to the Valley and returning was still an option while the club remain Charlton Athletic.

With Wimbledon the team moved to a completely different part of the country and the name was changed.

Yes, there was an option to follow MK Dons but agitate in the way some Charlton fans did (and it took a while for things to get moving remember) but I think that as a club who had very recently been non-league the option of starting again at that level was more attractive than it would have been to us or many other fans.

Once that decision was made I think the AFC fans should have moved on. I don't like their treatment of Kingstonian or the attitude of some of their fans.

However I now think that MK Dons are a different club. Time to move on now. If people want to go then let them go.

When I was doing that "other job" I took the views of many fans who were against playing MK Dons in a pre-season friendly to the board. The game was cancelled although it may not have had anything to that. Personally I wasn't and I'm not that bothered either way. The FA were wrong to allow the move and the rules have now been changed.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Can you imagine what would happen if our club had to play games at Crystal Palace, like Wimbledon did? I can.

I can imagine that our fans would have stood by the club, raised money, raised the profile of the club, stuck to the team and tried to win the hearts and minds of the people controlling the club's fate. I can imagine that our fans would have been smart and concerned enough to gather together in an all-encompassing effort to get our club back to the Valley. I can even imagine them doing something really crazy like setting up a single-issue political party and fighting a public election to raise the issue further. Or turning up at the Valley to help - with bare hands - and start the process of re-uniting the club and the ground.

If only Wimbledon's fans could have been bothered. If only they had taken the time and care to do something about their club. If only they had done something a bit more positive than bleating and setting up their own "rival" team. Perhaps Wimbledon would now be playing in London.

The depths to which their club sank were not the fault of their supporters. But the fact they did next-to-nothing to win their club back is to their eternal shame. Having lived near to MK for a few years, I have nothing but admiration for the way MK Dons have conducted themselves as a model community club.

I wish MK Dons all the success that Wimbledon's original fans don't deserve.

That's one way to look at it. Another is that they are a new team and so should have had to start at the bottom like anyone else. This is held up by the fact they weren't allowed to keep the FA Cup title.

Don't see the point of boycotting our home game. The away game i will be, but not Saturday as that effects us, and we definately aren't to blame.
  • Ill be going, I dont feel a need to make a political statement about it, I was sad when Wimbledon FC became no more, but MK Dons returned all things connected to Wimbledon back to the Borough of Merton.

Im happy for Milton Keynes to have football team with a new fan base and I wish them well.

For me Wimbledon exhausted their options trying to move back to Merton, were in dire-straits and Id rather something rather than nothing was saved. That said the only problem I have was the trajectory of MK Dons, not having to work their way up from the bottom etc etc

Plus its an easy drive down for me from Coventry :)
  • I'm too busy boycotting all the "Parky Out/Everything wrong in the world is Phil Parkinson's fault" threads to boycott the MK Dons game. ;)
  • Henry, I think you misunderstood Chizz's post. He's comparing our stay at Selhurst Park and what we did about it to Wimbledon's stay there.
  • If only they had done something a bit more positive than bleating and setting up their own "rival" team. Perhaps Wimbledon would now be playing in London.

The depths to which their club sank were not the fault of their supporters. But the fact they did next-to-nothing to win their club back is to their eternal shame.

read post selhurst to me.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]From memory the last time we played Wimbledon was in our 1st Prem season, a mid-week game at home, it snowed, we won and John Barnes signed that day.

It was - it was freezing and my pint nearly stuck to my hand on the East Terrace Stand concourse. Wimbledon had about 200 there all in the top corner of the Jimmy Seed - oh how we laughed !