Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Today I will mostly be listening to ....

Comments

• Caravanserai .. Santana

Obviously a big Santana "fan".

So, "Black Magic Woman". Santana or Fleetwood Mac?

For me, it's got to be Fleetwood Mac.

But I like Santana.

As Harry Hill would say ... fight!

• New album out this week, Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film.

But I like Santana.

heresey for most on here .. I prefer the Santana version, it's part of my all time favourite album 'Abraxas' which came out (ouch) in 1970!!! .. the whole album is programmed and produced so that all the disparate pieces gell superbly .. Black Magic Woman segues perfectly into the cataclysmic 'Gypsy Queen', a kitchen sink n all percussion and guitar thrash .. I love the Fleetwood Mac version as well ... incidentally has anyone else come across the theory that Green, spencer, Kirwan were all victims of the same batch of polluted acid (LSD) .. they all went mad and became virtual recluses at around the same time .. just a theory.
  • Benton Falls 'Fighting Starlight' and a bit of Appleseed Cast.
  • Peter Broderick - Home on vinyl, great sound.

But I like Santana.

heresey for most on here .. I prefer the Santana version, it's part of my all time favourite album 'Abraxas' which came out (ouch) in 1970!!! .. the whole album is programmed and produced so that all the disparate pieces gell superbly .. Black Magic Woman segues perfectly into the cataclysmic 'Gypsy Queen', a kitchen sink n all percussion and guitar thrash .. I love the Fleetwood Mac version as well ... incidentally has anyone else come across the theory that Green, spencer, Kirwan were all victims of the same batch of polluted acid (LSD) .. they all went mad and became virtual recluses at around the same time .. just a theory.
    Fair comment. At the end of the day, both versions are classics, aren't they?

As to the acid thing, I don't go for it. Not looking it up, but wasn't there quite a gap between Spencer going missing, and Green going off the rails?

Even it there wasn't, I'm not a "grassy knoll" type bloke, if you know what I mean!?
  • @Eddie Firmani .. lol ..if you were at the 'Grassy Knoll' please tell all .. Oliver Stone needs to know
  • edited September 2013
    'And So We Shall Never Part' by Losers. A cracking 2nd album from Xfm dj Eddy Temple Morris' band
  • Fuzz - "What's in my head"

But I like Santana.

Fair comment. At the end of the day, both versions are classics, aren't they?

As to the acid thing, I don't go for it. Not looking it up, but wasn't there quite a gap between Spencer going missing, and Green going off the rails?

Even it there wasn't, I'm not a "grassy knoll" type bloke, if you know what I mean!?
    Green was down to acid, at least according to Record collector.....
    This is taken from an article on Peter Green by Martin Celmins in Record Collector, November 2008:

That he was determined to leave the commercial
    keep-the-hits-coming world behind became crystal
    clear a month before he quit Mac when the band
    played in Munich. Much controversy still surrounds
    'the Munich incident': Fleetwood, Spencer and
    McVie remain convinced that their leader was
    somehow stolen from them by a rich hippie
    commune who gave him some potent LSD. He was
    never the same again, and he began to fixate about
    Mac becoming a charity band and playing for no
    money.

Nearly 40 years on, Peter insists that the big
    change that took place at Munich was a musical one:
    " I was down in the cellar of this country house
    playing music with some other people. I had taken
    LSD and was playing guitar with a wah-wah pedal...
    it felt as though etc etc......

Of course Peter's mental issues are another aspect to it as well.
    Think Spencer went off to join the 'children of god'.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had forgotten all about lovely Laura .. who died so young .. her love songs are so poignant .. she wrote stuff for Streisand, for the Fifth Dimension .. the female Jim Webb
  • Now, see I always thought that The Fifth Dimension covered her tunes. I'm familiar with their versions of Wedding Bell Blues and Stoned Soul Picnic. This is probably tantamount to blasphemy, but I must admit, I prefer their versions. Sorry.
  • hawksmoor said:

Now, see I always thought that The Fifth Dimension covered her tunes. I'm familiar with their versions of Wedding Bell Blues and Stoned Soul Picnic. This is probably tantamount to blasphemy, but I must admit, I prefer their versions. Sorry.

I also prefer the 5th Dimension versions .. probably my favourite 'cover' of a Nyro song is 'Stony End' by Streisand .. a real let down schoolgirl drama queen kind of lost love song
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslgVPqapNE
    Hendrix 'tribute band' playing in Jimi's home town to commerate his 40th year since he died.
    Sorry about that photographer at the start?.....
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslgVPqapNE
    Hendrix 'tribute band' playing in Jimi's home town to commerate his 40th year since he died.
    Sorry about that photographer at the start?.....

There's a Hendrix tribute band at the Mick Jagger Centre in November, if you're interested.
  • Free - Tons of Sobs.
  • Lovely - The Primitives
  • Jaheim - Appreciation Day. Not his strongest album but he still has a quality voice.
  • edited October 2013
    Chvrches, who are fantastic, and Lauren is cuter then anything

http://youtu.be/ktoaj1IpTbw

http://youtu.be/WHjN44LLKcA
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

Chvrches, who are fantastic, and Lauren is cuter then anything

http://youtu.be/ktoaj1IpTbw

http://youtu.be/WHjN44LLKcA

Their album is pretty decent too!
  • Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood
    Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
  • Tim Finn. Imaginary Kingdom
  • Pere Ubu - The modern dance.
  • I've been listening to The Diving Board for a few days now. Reminiscent of Elton's early albums - the eponymously titled album from 1969 (I think) and the slightly later, Tumbleweed Connection, especially. I've found his albums over the past twenty years or so to be a bit hit and miss - I enjoyed Peachtree Road, for example, but really didn't think much of the Big Picture. This one is his best for a very long time. Elton's reputation has suffered from his decision sometime around 1973 to become an out and out glam pop performer and from often appearing to be such a miserable, cantankerous git as he grew older. But he has been a hugely successful artist around the world for over forty years and has produced a lot of excellent music in that time. As with his contemporary, David Bowie, I am hoping that this late renaissance is more than just a temporary return to form.
  • Gary Numans new album- Splinter (songs from a broken mind) it's a cracker
  • The James Taylor Quartet - In The Hand Of The Inevitable.

Quality still.
  • The James Taylor Quartet - In The Hand Of The Inevitable.

Quality still.

The Jazzrocker from Rochester .. if James were an American, he would be a jazz world superstar .. one of the best keyboard men and one of the tightest little bands of the past 1/4 century
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!