Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Wants out of his 5 year contract with Notts County after 1 game. Very odd.

Comments

• Options
    I was at the Morecambe v Notts County game on Saturday. SC looked completely disinterested and when you consider that both Morecambe goals came from close range headers from set pieces it also shows that he wasn't that effective.
    Also I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of Morecambe's football as they continually tried to get the ball on the ground and pass it - bit like Charlton except their pies are better!
  • Options
    He's doesn't look the full ticket mentally to me. Looks like a player who will struggle once his career has finished.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]He's doesn't look the full ticket mentally to me. Looks like a player who will struggle once his career has finished.

At least he lasted a game, did n't he walk out on Arsenal at half tiem v West ham
  • Options
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2650775/Sol-Campbell-quits-Notts-County.html

After claiming he was in it for the long term he only lasted on game, tosser.

Apparently Harry wants him at Spurs!!
  • Options
    thats hilarious if tru - aren't the FA investigating the takeover as its yet to be rubber stamped. maybe he;s got wind of it being dodgy. . poor old notts county if tru made a laughing stock.
  • Options
    Probably took him only one game to realise that the Fourth Division isn't the Prem.

And if 'Appy 'Arry wants him at Spuds, then his career goes full circle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Probably took him only one game to realise that the Fourth Division isn't the Prem.

And if 'Appy 'Arry wants him at Spuds, then his career goes full circle.

Agreed 100% Oggy. He probably got to the ground and thought "what the feck am I doing here?" and just got through the game on autopilot.

I seemed to remember Curbs admitting he had similar thoughts when he moved from Brum to Charlton in 1985!!!
  • Options
    Campbell has more than a whiff of Syd Barrett about him!
  • Options
    I don't know why happy wasteful 'arry didn't get him before wasting a monumental ammount of dosh on let a goal in here, let a goal in there Bassong.
  • Options
    Campbell back at Spurs? Surely they'd never accept him back after he left them for Arsenal all those years ago. He's absolutely hated there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sol to Spurs is just Ronnie Birianie winding up people on talksport it will NEVER EVER EVER happen
  • Options
    Lancashire....did he kiss his Notts County badge though?!! What a tool.
  • Options
    King injured, Woodgate injured.

If Campbell cared about what fans thought or abuse he wouldn't have gone to Arsenal or Notts Co. but he did.

Would be so funny to see him a Spurs to see the reaction of their fans and the sudden revisionism.

OK, most likely not going to happen mainly as I don't think he would be good enough anymore but I wonder if he did sign for them would the Spurs fans complain to the police the first time an away teams fans starting singing about HIV and hanging from a tree.
  • Options
    Surely one of the reasons he ended up at Notts County was that noone else wanted him. Are Notts County now going to demand a fee seeing that he's on a 5 year deal?

I reckon he may end up back at Spurs.
  • Options
    Only in football!.......
    If this was a tv plot like eastenders, it would be rejected on the grounds of not having a ' proper reality line'

Perhaps there might be a place on strickly...... he is good at a quick 'two step', although a bit 'static', but he is half way with his 'hissy fits' so should fit in with the 'dancers' so there is promise.......

Unless he get's signed up by ITV for 'I am NOT a Notts County player get me outta here' new series...
  • Options
    From HR's point of view, it would make sense. King out with a hamstring pull, Woodgate out for the foreseeable, Dawson being rushed back early just for tonights game and Bassong out due to the rules on concussion, leaving him on Corluka and Huddlestone who can play at CB. S*l back on a short-term deal as cover would absolutely make sense.

HR was quoted just before the transfer window closed that he momentarily thought about bringing S*l back but knew it was a no-goer straight away after he saw the reaction of WHL to when Ghaly warmed up as a sub in the FA Cup game against Wigan in January. Similar to read from here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/6091593/Harry-Redknapp-I-wanted-Sol-Campbell-back-at-Spurs.html

Then remember the so-called "Tottenham 16" who was plastered all over the press 9 months or so ago. I'm not condoning what they done whatsoever but that just goes to show the ill-feeling still held towards him. I was hoping that we'd get drawn against Notts County in the FA Cup at WHL...but thats not going to happen now.

It wont happen. There's more chance me dating the famous Keeley from Bromley.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]From HR's point of view, it would make sense. King out with a hamstring pull, Woodgate out for the foreseeable, Dawson being rushed back early just for tonights game and Bassong out due to the rules on concussion, leaving him on Corluka and Huddlestone who can play at CB. S*l back on a short-term deal as cover would absolutely make sense.

It wont happen. There's more chance me dating the famous Keeley from Bromley.
    I seem to remember you telling us that Berbatov would never go to Man Utd John......
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I did and I was wrong. But when they offer you £30m+ for a player sulking his @rse off, we took the money and rightly so.
    I've also said that Dos Santos was going to be a massive signing. Wrong there too.

As for Judas, it wont happen. It just wont.

(Having said that, nothing surprises me anymore...as I said, makes sense from a footballing point of view).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]So I did and I was wrong. But when they offer you £30m+ for a player sulking his @rse off, we took the money and rightly so.
    I've also said that Dos Santos was going to be a massive signing. Wrong there too.

As for Judas, it wont happen. It just wont.

(Having said that, nothing surprises me anymore...as I said, makes sense from a footballing point of view).

Doesn't it all depend on how much is in it for Harry though? He has a very nice house down here to keep up and all that...
  • Options
    Can't join a club until Jan and the windows opens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't he be a free agent if released, as he's apparently requested?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Can't join a club until Jan and the windows opens.

Unless County tear up his contract and he's a free agent or if he goes on loan to a FL club.

Say a club in London near his home, maybe one that needs some extra cover at the back. Of course they would need to be pretty well off, maybe just had an injection of cash or about to be taken over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Wouldn't he be a free agent if released, as he's apparently requested?

That I think is the case - his contract has been terminated, so he's a free agent and therefore free to negotiate a contract with another club.

It doesn't seem much sense leaving and doing nothing unless he wasn't being paid or something similar.
  • Options
    I thought he was going to Notts County for 'long term objectives.'...... Is 'long term' now 1 game!.....

Whatever his reasons for going, surely he should give it a go, now he has committed himself to a contract, although that is a very old fashioned view..... apparently!
  • Options
    Football League have confirmed that he can not join another club until the transfer window opens in January.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Football League have confirmed that he can not join another club until the transfer window opens in January.

Really? That's a bit harsh if he and County have agreed to terminate his contract. He may as well go back there now and collect his 40,000 per week for going through the motions.

The whole thing is a farce of the highest order.
  • Options
    HR's column in today's currant bun sums the feeling up about S*l coming back to Spurs:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/2651901/Redknapp-Youre-better-than-this-Sol.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]HR's column in today's currant bun sums the feeling up about S*l coming back to Spurs:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/2651901/Redknapp-Youre-better-than-this-Sol.html

Well this is Harry "I'll never go to Southampton / back to Portsmouth" Redknapp we're talking about, so this hasn't changed a thing in my eyes.
  • Options
    Campbell walked away from County over 'broken promises'

Lack of investment from Munto forced ex-England star to quit Eriksson's side

By Sam Wallace and Nick Harris

Thursday, 24 September 2009

Campbell quickly lost faith in the Notts County project

Sol Campbell walked out on Notts County because he did not believe that the promised investment from the club's secretive owners Munto Finance would ever materialise. The extraordinary departure of the former England international has once again put the spotlight on the League Two club's mysterious new owners. In his column in today's Independent, Andy Cole, Campbell's friend and former team-mate at England and Portsmouth, confirms that Campbell was unconvinced by the long-term aims of the club and expected to see more investment before the close of the transfer window.

Campbell came to believe that Munto's money was being channelled into their newly acquired Formula One team BMW Sauber rather than Notts County. Having been told by the director of football, Sven Goran Eriksson, that his ambition to become a coach and a manager could be fulfilled at the club, currently in England's fourth tier, Campbell quickly lost faith in the project.

Cole told The Independent: "I can tell you that he [Sol] left Notts County because of what he perceived as unkept promises. He bought into the whole County project, he really did. He has now left County because he had been led to believe there would be major resources invested at Meadow Lane rapidly and obviously, not just in new players but in facilities and infrastructure. That has not happened."
  • Options
    Harry is a big fan
    then again he is a big fan of everyone except Darren Bent. Campbell cannot join a premierleague club till tranfer window opens so his spurs reunion won't be for a while. Shame as with all their injuries at the back I would have put money on him signing for them. Harry won't really be fussed about the fans reaction if he does go back as he'll believe he can talk them around and Sol's performances will stop the critics
    Biggest joke of all though is Campbell believing he has a chance for 2010 world cup! Not a prayer