Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

scariest pubs

Comments

• Options
    Sydney Arms pint of Fosters £4.30 , anywhere local top that ?
  • Options
    The Wat Tyler.
    I remember my old man came home in a sheepskin coat one Sunday lunch, only to walk into our flat, bang on cue to Shaw Taylor asking us to "keep em peeled" on said garment.
    1973-1982 Kidbrooke Village
  • Options

About 18 months ago I went in the Barrel and Horn in Bromley.

It scared my wallet at £5.10 a pint.

You better hope that Gillingham is cheaper I'm going to meet you with a few thirsty mate's)
  • Options

The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Many years ago myself and a friend were in the Wat Tyler and and ended up playing pool with Pat Van Den Hauwe (his parents lived on the ferrier at the time) and Gavin Maguire.
    I Lived in the same square as them (dando) when he lived there, (he moved in for a while when he split from Mandy smith) drank with him in the wat Tyler and blackheath standard a couple of times
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

D_F_T said:

The Lord Bloomfield on Barnfield. There was another one right in the middle of the estate, can't remember it's name but ironically it is a nursery now!

The Royal Oak was in the middle of Barnfield Gardens, I lived in the block of flats next to the pub.
    I used to work in the Bloomfield. Never saw any trouble, but it was a shithole.
  • Options
    The Plough & Harrow at Welling in the 90's was very intimidating.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I've never been too inclined to go into The Bargepole, but I have been into The Abbey Arms. I didn't fancy staying there for any period of time, although the carpet kept me there longer than I wanted to be..
    Then there is The Greyhound on the Woolwich Road. I've only ever been in there with a large group during the day; I dread to think what that'd be like on a Saturday night. I don't think they even have beer on tap in there anymore. Must be holding on by a thread.
    And did anyone ever go into The Harrow(ing) - Abbey Wood?

My old man used to run a Country Music club at The Harrow Inn, Abbey Wood back in the 70's, I think Harry Starbuck had the boozer then, it had a right name but I can only remember trouble once.
    Went into the Abbey Arms for an early start before a game at West Ham. My mate knew Harry and we knocked at about 9.30am. Harry answered the door and said we could come in but first had to turn and wave to the undercover police in the flat opposite as they were spying on him and he wanted them to know he knew! Wave over, we got our early beer.
  • Options
    Coach and Horses in Dartford was one I enjoyed leaving in the eighties. The Great Harry and the Belvoir in Belvedere were fun too.
  • Options
    Surprised nobodys mentioned the Lullingstone Castle in Swanley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember a programme of sky one "britains most dangerous pubs" or something.

Ma pub up north had strippers. Probably Blackpool.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Not particularly scary but a load of us stayed in Wigan when we played up there in the PL. Having a drink in the town centre before the game and gradually the place started filling up with locals. One of them came over and said "we're the goon squad if you want to know". We told him not thanks, we just wanted a drink to which he replied "OK no problem but if you need any gear we can sort you out".

We gave it 5 minutes and decided to take our leave.
  • Options

Not particularly scary but a load of us stayed in Wigan when we played up there in the PL. Having a drink in the town centre before the game and gradually the place started filling up with locals. One of them came over and said "we're the goon squad if you want to know". We told him not thanks, we just wanted a drink to which he replied "OK no problem but if you need any gear we can sort you out".

We gave it 5 minutes and decided to take our leave.

The Anvil is a great boozer up there.
  • Options
    It's people not the boozers that make pubs intimidating. Worst is being in a pub when it's basically near empty but the only ones in there are basically arseholes who effectively run the pub.

Woodman at Blackfen (now George Staples), Black Boy in Eltham, Farmhouse at Mottingham, Lullingstone Castle at Swanley, Plough & Harrow in Welling all ones I've been In over the years where it was never comfortable if you weren't a local.
  • Options
    Star of the East on Commercial Road. Made a pit stop there once on the way to a night out. It's like the bar in Star Wars the amount of creatures in it.
  • Options

Sydney Arms pint of Fosters £4.30 , anywhere local top that ?

I don't care if they do pay you £4.30 a pint, I'm still not drinking it.
  • Options
    Onlyme said:

The Plough & Harrow at Welling in the 90's was very intimidating.

Yes that was the one I posted about earlier with the female landlord. Very heavy atmosphere in there. The landlord was all right with us to be fair, and we went in there a couple of times without anything happening, but there was an air about the place.
    Went in a dodgy place the other night down here in the wilds of Kent. Looked a really nice place, but as AFKA says it wasn't the pub itself, it was the people in there. Fastest I've drunk a pint for a while....
  • Options
    I must be really sheltered - can't remember anywhere really scary I've been in, loads of terrible pubs, but I try to avoid scary looking places. Can remember seeing some gangsters break a bar stool over the landlord in the Goldsmiths Tavern in New Cross before it went trendy. (Mind you, I think it was a Vic Reeves gig so it must have already been on the way - had an edge I suppose).

• Options
    The night of the carling cup game at chelsea, we got there really early so we found what we thought was a relatively quiet pub near Fulham Broadway....

About 10 minutes later a mob full of chelski came in, and I dont mean the johnny come latelys, whilst we were quietly finishing up they started singing, "stick one up the charlton scum" and started flinging celery all over the place....I was not sure if it was some social experiment, didnt wait long enough to dind out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The night of the carling cup game at chelsea, we got there really early so we found what we thought was a relatively quiet pub near Fulham Broadway....

About 10 minutes later a mob full of chelski came in, and I dont mean the johnny come latelys, whilst we were quietly finishing up they started singing, "stick one up the charlton scum" and started flinging celery all over the place....I was not sure if it was some social experiment, didnt wait long enough to dind out

At least we stuck it up them winning on penalties, even though Jose wouldn't accept it
  • Options
    Went in a pub in Nottingham before a game with Forest, whilst waiting to get served, one of the locals decided he was getting served before me, I took expectation to, to which he said your not from round here are you? I replied NO, I got fooking manners. Then had to put with 1/2 hour of evil eyes from the rest of the pub.

• Options
    New Cross Tavern in err...New Cross back in the day was the scariest looking pub I've ever been in. Full of punks and metalheads, sawdust on the floor etc. If you stumbled in there without knowing anything you'd probably run a mile. Never got any trouble in there though unless you were taking the piss, in which case you would be in a whole world of hurt. Strangely, very few people took the piss! They had goat on the BBQ out back!
  • Options
    Used to love the plough and the duchess and the fanny and occasionally the harry
    Jolly drayman and the station on a friday
    Good times back then pints were just under the pound
    Every pub now seems to have attitude
  • Options
    Went in a pub near eccles seemed nice
    enough but did catch glimse of a double barrel behind the bar
    Made me a bit uneasy did get a bit lively at closing
    My mate who moved there had his car nicked 3 times in the 1st month after living there
    1st time on the day he moved in off his drive
    Was a bit of an intimidating place though no mater where ive lived ive never had to paddlock my cars on my drive
  • Options

It's people not the boozers that make pubs intimidating. Worst is being in a pub when it's basically near empty but the only ones in there are basically arseholes who effectively run the pub.

Woodman at Blackfen (now George Staples), Black Boy in Eltham, Farmhouse at Mottingham, Lullingstone Castle at Swanley, Plough & Harrow in Welling all ones I've been In over the years where it was never comfortable if you weren't a local.

Add The Gamecock, West Kingsdown to that list. Especially when one of the gypos came in and calmly placed his shotgun on the bar and ordered a drink. Like you do...
  • Options
    DA9 said:

[cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]

[cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The King & Queen in Mottingham was pretty bad as well.

My mate Keith was a regular in there...he said it was a local pub for local people.

"We didn't burn him"

LOL

Millwall boozer through & through

The King and Queen in Mottingham was my local between 1972 - 1977.
    Also I worked as a barman there for about a year in 1974.

It wasn't Millwall in the mid 70's in fact it was mostly Charlton fans at that time.
    My group always met there before travelling to some of the away games.
    I can remember meeting there for trips to Gillingham, Southend, and certainly Chelmsford and Tonbridge in the FA Cup.

It was a good pub in those days with the nightclub/disco in the hall at the back.
    When I worked there as a barman in the disco, I can remember Alan "Fluff" Freeman comparing an evening as well as shows by either Billy Fury or Billy J Kramer (I cannot remember which one)

I have some happy memories of that place.