Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

scariest pubs

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]world upside down on okr. Gun detector on the door.

A few pubs round st mary cray in orpington.

I actually like the one in the High Street (Red Lion?), the other one up by the Rosecroft club (names escapes me) is a bit ropey, I go to the rosecroft for Rockabillly gigs now & then.

Not been in there myself but theres a few away from the high street that are off the beaten track that are very locals only.

Actually going to a 50's place tonight where they play rockabilly on certain nights apparently, the boogaloo in highgate if you know it?

Not heard of it, most of it's localised to be honest, and you see the same faces, unless you go to Camden (The Elephant or Dingwalls)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]The late lamented Bar 82 in Glasgow by a mile, though it probably wasn't the roughest place due to everyone being so drunk they were rendered harmless, it was still scary. The beer was cheaper than anyplace else and being sick on the floor (which happened three times in the short period that I was there) didn't lead to being thrown out or even spoken to. Got involved in an argument with a bloke who later went out and came back stabbed and bleeding quite badly. The bar staff patched him up with bogroll and he was quite affable when I next spoke to him, though not delighted about being chibbed. Turned out to be a fairly nice bloke and I ended up swapping jackets with him in a (failed) bid to help him evade police capture for (I think) whatever lead to the stabbing.[/quote]

The Argyll Bar under Glasgow Central Station, the roughest pub I have ever been in. Luckily enough it's a Rangers pub so it was safe to be English in there but fuck me was it rough. I took my brother in there on our way to Hampden for Rolling Stones gig in '06 and a bloke was in there who had just been stabbed, the barmaid was scary, she had a knuckleduster on and she was a BIG girl. The toilets were down an alley and then down stairs, trust me you only went if you were bursting. Closed down now, what a shame!
    I used to go ion there quite a lot, there was something about the place!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The King & Queen in Mottingham was pretty bad as well.

My mate Keith was a regular in there...he said it was a local pub for local people.

I wonder if thats my old mate Keith, school friend. I used to drink with from about '79 to about '84? Charlton supporter.

K&Q football team Mottingham Forest all old comers wellcome only.

Do remember a lot of regulars said they were Millwall supporters although I cant remember them actually going.
    Nice pub if you were friends with regulars and not if you was not. It had a bit of drug problem and got real scummy shortly before it closed for good.

[cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Back in the day, You woldn't have gone into the Man of Kent or the Castle in Eltham High Street unless you knew some of the regulars

I got barred from that pub 1978
  • Options
    Yeah wrong side of the river to be honest DA9, but my clothes and £8 hair cut are so outdated im sure ill fit in unintentionally if it is a theme night tonight!
  • Options
    The "Two Halfs" on Sydenham Road is a no-no, as was the "Spanish Steps" on the estate in Deptford/New Cross.
  • Options
    The Swan in charlton village is somewhere i never set foot in. the people who live in the local care homesall drink in there after they have had their daily dose of antipsychotic drugs...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Yeah wrong side of the river to be honest DA9, but my clothes and £8 hair cut are so outdated im sure ill fit in unintentionally if it is a theme night tonight!

Plenty of Dax, Royal Crown or Black & White, and you'll be sorted :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Yeah wrong side of the river to be honest DA9, but my clothes and £8 hair cut are so outdated im sure ill fit in unintentionally if it is a theme night tonight!

Plenty of Dax, Royal Crown or Black & White, and you'll be sorted :-)

Ha ha that'd be an improvement ;-)
  • Options
    anyone ventured into the plough in catford,fuck me its a timewarp
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]anyone ventured into the plough in catford,fuck me its a timewarp

Had my wedding-do in there (in 1995), haven't been back since !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    K&Q football team Mottingham Forest all old comers wellcome only.

I used to watch them play when I was a kid
  • Options
    Catford's got a few. The Goose, which is in a lovely building, is full of a odd types.
  • Options
    served my drinking apprenticeship in the yorkshire grey and greenwich borough club in the mid 80's.
    the grey was a brilliant pub if you were a local.

the scariest pub i have been in is when we played port vale away. coppers on every pub door apart from the one we went in.
  • Options
    I was once taken to a pub in Lisburn that scared the shit out of me. The only toilet was behind the bar and you had to get the barman's permission to walk through. All there was when you got there was a hole in the ground where the toilet basin had been smashed. As I stood there peeing into a circle of jagged porcelain, a rottweiler jumped and snarled at me from about 6 feet behind my back, restrained by massive chain that didn't seem quite massive enough given the circumstances. On my way back the barman joked, "don't worry, he'll be alright once he gets to know you"!

Back in the safe area away from the dog, my colleague whose local it was, introduced me to some guys at the bar. They all seemed rough but friendly enough. I said hello, shook hands and stood there grinning inanely as they jabbered on in inpenaterable accents. After a while my colleague led me away to a corner whilst his mates carried on standing and jabbering. From a distance he pointed at them and whispered in my ear. He's suspected of doing the "x" bombing, those two are gun runners and the one on the end has just got out of jail for attempting to murder his MP. We only had one in there.

Afterwards my mate told me that he had to visit his mum, before going on to another pub. I was amazed that just a few yards up the street he just pushed on an open door and walked straight into this old lady's living room. I guess with friends like his, no-one was ever going to give his mum any grief.
  • Options
    The sky series Toughest pubs fetaured one that had a perspex screen from bar to ceiling with two small holes cut out of it one to pay at one end of the bar and the other end a hole to collect your drinks... it was for the bar staff saftey

I couldn't find a picture of it but was pretty sure it was in Scotland somewhere
  • Options
    Every pub i went into in Paisley after playing St Mirren in our pre season friendly. Thankfully boyfriends family were local so i was 'tolerated'. The pub we went into before the Birmingham game a few seasons back. I was the only women in there & realised why when i went to the loo. Been in better lav's in India! The Charlotte in Crayford was bad too, as was the one on London Rd next to the Duke of Wellington aka Corner Pin, was it The George? Full of pikeys, one of which was our Uncle (married into the family of course!)
  • Options
    A pub in Mold in North Wales for me...

I went to the bogs at the wrong moment to see two guys in the middle of a drugs transaction, of course I had to pretend that I hadn't seen anything despite it happening right in front of me. On the way out one barged into me with just enough force to make it obvious, then he told me very slowly and deliberately with a slightly psychotic look in his eye that he was sorry as he "hadn't seen me". I got the message...
  • Options
    Flannagans Black Bull in lewisham, went onto become the Fox and firkin. Was an aprentice at the time we use to plot up on a Friday lunch time for the strippers. The blood running down a wall one time should have given a clue.

One or two Ify boozers in Deptford.

Castle in Eltham had a CAFC face running it for a good few years.
  • Options
    The westminster Arm's was a good place to drink on a saturday before the game.Was my regular for year's as was the castle in eltham every saturday night in there,The west minster used to have massive plate's of roast potatoe's on a sunday afternoon...LOVELY. Dont see that any more!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]served my drinking apprenticeship in the yorkshire grey and greenwich borough club in the mid 80's.
    the grey was a brilliant pub if you were a local.

amen to that PBS - Lovd it in the Grey.

I was more of a regular up the Royal Tavern though - used to get lively lads in there i can tell thee

the boozers at Hereford away sent shivers down m spine. one of them, if i remember irghtly, had a sign saying NO LONDONERS ALLOWED. lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I was once taken to a pub in Lisburn that scared the shit out of me. The only toilet was behind the bar and you had to get the barman's permission to walk through. All there was when you got there was a hole in the ground where the toilet basin had been smashed. As I stood there peeing into a circle of jagged porcelain, a rottweiler jumped and snarled at me from about 6 feet behind my back, restrained by massive chain that didn't seem quite massive enough given the circumstances. On my way back the barman joked, "don't worry, he'll be alright once he gets to know you"!

Back in the safe area away from the dog, my colleague whose local it was, introduced me to some guys at the bar. They all seemed rough but friendly enough. I said hello, shook hands and stood there grinning inanely as they jabbered on in inpenaterable accents. After a while my colleague led me away to a corner whilst his mates carried on standing and jabbering. From a distance he pointed at them and whispered in my ear. He's suspected of doing the "x" bombing, those two are gun runners and the one on the end has just got out of jail for attempting to murder his MP. We only had one in there.

Afterwards my mate told me that he had to visit his mum, before going on to another pub. I was amazed that just a few yards up the street he just pushed on an open door and walked straight into this old lady's living room. I guess with friends like his, no-one was ever going to give his mum any grief.[/quote]

You've got some strange "colleagues"!
  • Options
    This is a great thread chaps.

Strangely, I now have the urge to go on a tour and check out some of these places to experience them for myself. If I survive, I'll tell you how it went!

P.S Forgot about some of the Scottish pubs I have been in, jesus - this is bringing back some scary memories, like being a 16 year old Englishman in a spit and sawdust boozer (not a single seat in the house - man boozing is strictly done standing up, apparently) in the middle of a massive housing estate in Dundee and wondering if I should draw up a quick will on the back of a beer mat!
  • Options
    I think my mum and dad met in the dun cow on okr! I'll ask them if it was rough then! About 35 yrs ago okr was the place to be!
  • Options
    The Kemsey in Sittingbourne is not a bad shout, I served a DJ'ing apprenticeship in that place.

It is impossible to be intimidated after working in that place.

The Ordinary Fellow and Edward VII in White Road in chatham were ones where you had to know the locals to not get your teeth taken out
  • Options
    The Kemsey.....if you have your own teeth you're a sissy.
  • Options
    The St Andrews Bar off Union Street in Aberdeen is dodgy if you have an English accent :)

the graffitti in the toilet "Remember Bannockburn" made me even more uncomfortable!
  • Options
    Quite a few spring to mind.

The Bladesmen - behind the away end at Sheffield United, legged it out of there pretty sharpish.
    The California - North Woolwich (now a block of flats) Pint Pot Whores aplenty
    Kings Arms - Eltham High St. Riot in there after England lost 2-1 to Romania. Barmaid glassed and a table chucked through the tv.
    Chequers - Eltham High St - Real locals place.
    Penny Farthing nr Chislehurst. Chased out of there.
    Marlow & Maidenhead have some loony bins as well, remember going there in my teens. Every pub had 5-6 doormen.
  • Options
    Can't believe I forgot The Admiral of the Humber........nut house in Hull. Doubt they would have let anyone in to film Britains scariest pub.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]A pub in Mold in North Wales for me...

I went to the bogs at the wrong moment to see two guys in the middle of a drugs transaction, of course I had to pretend that I hadn't seen anything despite it happening right in front of me. On the way out one barged into me with just enough force to make it obvious, then he told me very slowly and deliberately with a slightly psychotic look in his eye that he was sorry as he "hadn't seen me". I got the message...

I used to go out with a girl from Mold!

Re Old Kent Road - I spent a lot of my youth down there and never got in any trouble because there used to be a lot of us but Green Man, Dun Cow and Frog & Nightgown and Rising Sun were all popular haunts. Think they have all gone now??

I was always nervous of the Canterbury Arms, I did once go in the Wat Tyler - never again.

More local to me growing up were the Downham Tavern - some naughty people in there and The Squire had it's moments too. Catford did have some very dodgy boozers though.
  • Options
    The Star in Woolwich. Near the barracks. So much trouble with squaddies the MOD bought it and closed it down.