Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

scariest pubs

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]The Star in Woolwich. Near the barracks. So much trouble with squaddies the MOD bought it and closed it down.

We had a tear up with some squaddies after the town hall announcement about the Valley, that was in the North Kent Tavern, it was always kicking off with them in Spooks way back in the early 80's
  • Options
    The MOD bought a pub Clem??
    Would love to see that requisition order.
  • Options
    The Green Man in Plumstead High Street was the sort of boozer you only ever went in if you were very big or had loads of mates...
  • Options
    Downham Tavern!! Rotten place!
  • Options
    The Grill Bar on Union Street in Aberdeen. Nothing in it has been changed for over a hundred years. There is no ladies toilets. Quality!
  • Options
    2016-Are there any rough pubs left or have they all been closed or turned into gastros?
  • Options
    Some of the monstrosities in The Millers Bexley Friday night was scary.
  • Options
    Prince of Wales Mottingham is worth avoiding.
  • Options
    Some right dodgy geezers frequent the Long Pond. Regulars go "tooled up" with walking sticks, zimmer frames, wheel chairs, mobility scooters you name it. You wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the landlord either - he could kill you with one of his stares.
  • Options
    Walked past the White Horse about 800 times. Never set foot in it. But then I'm effete
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Royal Standard in North Woolwich was always a bit moody..... Good bit of entertainment though!
  • Options
    Anyone been in the Angerstein recently?

On a west London trip the Stag on Acton Lane is a quite local still.
  • Options
    The Long Pond nr Eltham ;-)
  • Options
    The Pub by White City Station was/is a shit hole (maybe called the Springbok?).
  • Options
    Most pubs in Slade Green although nearly all gone now.
  • Options

Prince of Wales Mottingham is worth avoiding.

POW isn't that bad. Alright on a Saturday afternoon for football.
  • Options

Before demolition The Robin Hood at St.Paul's Cray could be iffy.

The King & Queen as mentioned and The Henry Cooper were a joy. Just stand there and wait for the bottles and glasses to be thrown around.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.
  • Options

The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Many years ago myself and a friend were in the Wat Tyler and and ended up playing pool with Pat Van Den Hauwe (his parents lived on the ferrier at the time) and Gavin Maguire.
  • Options
    The barge pole in Thamesmead. Lovely place!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

Anyone been in the Angerstein recently?

I live 2 mins away. Been in there a couple of times, seemed nice enough.

Packed with Millwall whenever we play them at home. I heard that the owner is a fan
  • Options
    The George on Beckenham High Street was always scary when I went in as a 17/18 year old. Never knew they allowed cats, dogs and so many old people in one place.
  • Options

L'Atmosphere, one of only two bars you can drink alcohol in Kabul. As you approach there are two guards behind a sandbag wall pointing AK47s at you while you are searched. If you are OK, they knock on the steel door and a eyehole opens. They say todays code and the door opens. You enter a room where you are checked with a metal detector with two more guards pointing AK47s at you. They then knock on the next steel door and you go through the same process. Once through you are in a rather pleasant bar that has any alcohol (usually out of date) they can get their hands on. Not really a choice, just what they have. Have spent an evening in there on Baileys or Baileys, you get the idea!!! All drinks are $5 regardless of it being a beer, spirit etc. Walking home afterwards can be dodgy. If a car slows down, run!!!

Would've stayed at home with a cuppa mate.

• Options

L'Atmosphere, one of only two bars you can drink alcohol in Kabul. As you approach there are two guards behind a sandbag wall pointing AK47s at you while you are searched. If you are OK, they knock on the steel door and a eyehole opens. They say todays code and the door opens. You enter a room where you are checked with a metal detector with two more guards pointing AK47s at you. They then knock on the next steel door and you go through the same process. Once through you are in a rather pleasant bar that has any alcohol (usually out of date) they can get their hands on. Not really a choice, just what they have. Have spent an evening in there on Baileys or Baileys, you get the idea!!! All drinks are $5 regardless of it being a beer, spirit etc. Walking home afterwards can be dodgy. If a car slows down, run!!!

Bloody hell now sounds absolutely fascinating... go there often?

Bit like a pub I knew up on the Falls Road back in the day.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    There is/was a pub in Welling High St opposite Central Avenue that seemed a little "lively" back in the 80s. For a while it was run by a rather largish woman who came over basically to check me and my mate out. She suggested in no uncertain terms she was not someone to be messed with.
    It was hard not to agree with her...
  • Options
    Gone now but the Harp of Erin in Deptford was a very tough place .. rumoured to hide a few villains on the run in its day
  • Options

there's a few boozers in Glasgow and Liverpool that have similar security measures