Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

scariest pubs

Comments

• stonemuse said:

Gone now but the Harp of Erin in Deptford was a very tough place .. rumoured to hide a few villains on the run in its day

i remember back in the 80s, a mob from here smashed up a pub in Greenwich, not sure what it was all about, I didn't hang around to ask!
  • The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Lived on the Ferrier for 14 years and knew most of them in there, but it was still an intimidating pub...
  • There was always something happening in The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier. Remember once someone letting off a blue smoke bomb. By the time it cleared the fruit machine was missing. We all poured out of the pub to find it smashed open and empty around the back of the pub. Will never forget the slack-jawed landlord staring at the space where the fruit machine had been three minutes before....

I was in there that night. lol
  • I've never been too inclined to go into The Bargepole, but I have been into The Abbey Arms. I didn't fancy staying there for any period of time, although the carpet kept me there longer than I wanted to be..
    Then there is The Greyhound on the Woolwich Road. I've only ever been in there with a large group during the day; I dread to think what that'd be like on a Saturday night. I don't think they even have beer on tap in there anymore. Must be holding on by a thread.
    And did anyone ever go into The Harrow(ing) - Abbey Wood?
  • Boysie said:

The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Lived on the Ferrier for 14 years and knew most of them in there, but it was still an intimidating pub...
    Walked past that pub every day for about 15 years, reminds me of The Jockey in Shameless.
  • Ahhhh The Harp of Erin ---- my Sunday local when I lived in Deptford.
    That was until one Sunday morning about 11:30 there was two guys playing pool. Me my late mate Danny and his bird. Door opened older guy walked in carrying a carpenters bag, puts it on the floor casually takes out a saw and then smashes one of the pool players in the face with it !!! Blood shoots everywhere. Other pool guy hits the guy with the saw over the head with a pool stick. Two women steam in the pub attack the pool player. Over in seconds --- saw man and the women walk out leaving two on the deck.
    Barman casually throws me a load of beer clothes " put these if his face and then fuck off"----- we fucked off
  • Never used to like The Wildfowler in Thamesmead around 88-92
  • I've never been too inclined to go into The Bargepole, but I have been into The Abbey Arms. I didn't fancy staying there for any period of time, although the carpet kept me there longer than I wanted to be..
    Then there is The Greyhound on the Woolwich Road. I've only ever been in there with a large group during the day; I dread to think what that'd be like on a Saturday night. I don't think they even have beer on tap in there anymore. Must be holding on by a thread.

My old man used to run a Country Music club at The Harrow Inn, Abbey Wood back in the 70's, I think Harry Starbuck had the boozer then, it had a right name but I can only remember trouble once.
  • Jayajosh said:

Boysie said:

The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Walked past that pub every day for about 15 years, reminds me of The Jockey in Shameless.
    Played at a boozer over in Essex about 18 months ago, it was just like The jockey in Shameless, the locals were even doing powder straight of the tables. It was a very lively night....luckily they liked us.......!
  • Sponsored links:

• Robin Hood on St Paul's Cray. Used it a lot, but it could be a scary pub if you didn't know anyone. The door made a click that notified the whole bar as you entered.
  • edited October 2016
    There was a pub in Harold Hill called The Pompadours. Absolute hell.

Also a bar opposite Romford Station called Bentleys, which was once the venue for a drive by shooting.
  • The Wat Tyler on the Ferrier was the first pub I was legally served in. Don't know what I was thinking going there.

Many years ago myself and a friend were in the Wat Tyler and and ended up playing pool with Pat Van Den Hauwe (his parents lived on the ferrier at the time) and Gavin Maguire.
    Name dropper.
  • Greenie said:

I've never been too inclined to go into The Bargepole, but I have been into The Abbey Arms. I didn't fancy staying there for any period of time, although the carpet kept me there longer than I wanted to be..

My old man used to run a Country Music club at The Harrow Inn, Abbey Wood back in the 70's, I think Harry Starbuck had the boozer then, it had a right name but I can only remember trouble once.
    I thought Harry owned The Abbey Arms. Maybe both!
  • The George on Beckenham High Street was always scary when I went in as a 17/18 year old. Never knew they allowed cats, dogs and so many old people in one place.

A bit of a local for me.

One of the best boozers in the Beckenham/Bromley area.
  • The George on Beckenham High Street was always scary when I went in as a 17/18 year old. Never knew they allowed cats, dogs and so many old people in one place.

A bit of a local for me.

Virtually lived in there when I had a flat in Beckenham.
    Absolute goldmine of a pub I'd imagine.

• The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god.
    The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue !
    The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers
    The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers !
    The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins)
    The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in

A bit of a local for me.

Same. I love it in there. Can be dirt cheap and really easy going.

A bit of a local for me.

Same. I love it in there. Can be dirt cheap and really easy going.
    I avoid the Bricklayers Arms, a bit of a p***** boozer.
  • The Millers of Bexley, some right horrors in there
  • Sponsored links:

• The Duchess Welling , long gone thank god.
    The Crown & Cushion Woolwich, could be very nationalistic venue !
    The Eardley Arms Belverdere, Travellers
    The Five Stars & Red Lion Foots Cray Travellers !
    The White Swan Crayford (Crayford Skins)
    The Rose Bexleyheath, if the Kent Hells Angels were in

Listed some great pubs there mate

• I used to go ion there quite a lot, there was something about the place!
    D_F_T said:

[quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]The late lamented Bar 82 in Glasgow by a mile, though it probably wasn't the roughest place due to everyone being so drunk they were rendered harmless, it was still scary. The beer was cheaper than anyplace else and being sick on the floor (which happened three times in the short period that I was there) didn't lead to being thrown out or even spoken to. Got involved in an argument with a bloke who later went out and came back stabbed and bleeding quite badly. The bar staff patched him up with bogroll and he was quite affable when I next spoke to him, though not delighted about being chibbed. Turned out to be a fairly nice bloke and I ended up swapping jackets with him in a (failed) bid to help him evade police capture for (I think) whatever lead to the stabbing.[/quote]

The Argyll Bar under Glasgow Central Station, the roughest pub I have ever been in. Luckily enough it's a Rangers pub so it was safe to be English in there but fuck me was it rough. I took my brother in there on our way to Hampden for Rolling Stones gig in '06 and a bloke was in there who had just been stabbed, the barmaid was scary, she had a knuckleduster on and she was a BIG girl. The toilets were down an alley and then down stairs, trust me you only went if you were bursting. Closed down now, what a shame!

I used to go ion there quite a lot, there was something about the place!

stonemuse said:

Gone now but the Harp of Erin in Deptford was a very tough place .. rumoured to hide a few villains on the run in its day

I used to live over the moneylenders opposite The Harp...I used to sit in there with a book getting quietly p****d...They were fine.
  • The New Inn in Gravesend used to be maybe not scariest but certainly the dirtiest. it got closed down earlier this year due to drugs and after hour drinking.

this was a review of the place on a website:

"Voted worst pub in the SE

Absolutely disgusting pub. Met colleagues for a sales meeting and had the misfortune of popping in here.
    Dirty is not the word. Has to be the worst pub apart from the Mitre In Annerley in the UK.
    The very fat scruffy bloke working behind the bar had a baby on the shelf behind the bar itself- I kid you not.
    The beer was fucking awful. The glassware worse.
    Shit and piss everywhere.
    Gypsies urinating in corner of pub.
    One foul mouthful of 'beer' and we couldnt wait to get out."

"Filthy pub, floor, toilets , tables everything in sight dirty, even the staff in filthy unwashed clothes and no teeth with disgusting breath reaching over the public side of the bar.
    Horrible flat pint of Fosters , barmaid said it was CARLSBERG as its all they cold get from Bookers and its the only one the tap fitted- thought passing off was illegal, if I had wanted Carlsberg I would have asked for it.
    Outside of the pub is a state, signage fell down, windows smashed . Still , on our tour of all the pubs we thought we'd give it a try.
    Stale smell of animal faeces / urine.
    Filthy dirty mop and bucket behind bar with marker pen inscription reading "dog".

Jesus, if they wanted a wine bar they should have gone to one.
  • masicat said:

Robin Hood on St Paul's Cray. Used it a lot, but it could be a scary pub if you didn't know anyone. The door made a click that notified the whole bar as you entered.

I make you right there mate and i did know a lot of the pricks in there as I went to school with them back in the sixties and early seventies the trouble was they were the ones I used to fight at school.
    A pub to be avoided glad the place shut down

Played against the Bargepole in the early 80's. They had their own Hales / Flanagan incident after we had scored a goal. Just left them to get on with it, resulting the whole of their team piling in. The ref abandoned the game and we got the result.
  • D_F_T said:

The Lord Bloomfield on Barnfield. There was another one right in the middle of the estate, can't remember it's name but ironically it is a nursery now!

The Royal Oak was in the middle of Barnfield Gardens, I lived in the block of flats next to the pub.
  • Wow
    The Duchess was run by a mate !
    The Crown and Cushion was a meeting place at least once a weekend ( good few years back)
    The Rose we met there for our Xmas beer last year !!

• About 18 months ago I went in the Barrel and Horn in Bromley.

It scared my wallet at £5.10 a pint.